Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2099 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 53  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14492
Location: Coalfalls
camroc1 wrote:
Apologies for offending so many. I was attempting to make a pretty shite Harry Potter joke.
If I had said half blood(which I should have) would the meaning have been any different ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You dumb bugger I'm sure most of us realised that straightaway.


Last edited by MungoMan on Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14265
earl the beaver wrote:
Little fact. More unionists are in favour of changing abortion legislation than nationalists, despite the position of the two largest parties.

If only they would stop voting for the corrupt fúckers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6486
earl the beaver wrote:
Little fact. More unionists are in favour of changing abortion legislation than nationalists, despite the position of the two largest parties.


Do it then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
earl the beaver wrote:
Little fact. More unionists are in favour of changing abortion legislation than nationalists, despite the position of the two largest parties.


One of the reasons the SDLP are so fuvked these days. They are a bunch of forelock tugging school teachers and have bottled it on the abortion issue. Being pictured alongside Bernie Smyth should have been a resigning issue for Eastwood. You cant paint yourself as a progressive party and also align yorself with that trash.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:50 am
Posts: 87
Some rather stark figures in this poll, 21% of those polled in favour of Irish Unification:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/new-p ... sh-border/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
Irregardless of the polling stuff, if Sinn Fein were to become the biggest party in the next executive, thats when the shit would really hit the fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11381
Not so long a ago a poll showed only 31% of catholics/nationalists would vote for a united Ireland.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42844
Wylie Coyote wrote:
Some rather stark figures in this poll, 21% of those polled in favour of Irish Unification:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/new-p ... sh-border/

The methodology of that poll has been pulled to shreds by prominent NI polling company Lucid Talk (Run by Bill White before Winnie/Earl get their knickers in a twist) for essentially distributing undecideds on a 50/50 basis leading to, for example, the highly unusual poll result of half of all undecideds in West Belfast voting for NI remaining in the UK in a border poll. :lol: :lol:

Lucid Talk claim that when the raw data is analysed according to their algorithm, which takes both area demographics, and past voting patterns into account the result is essentially the same as their last published poll.

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/998612485186998278


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 58284
Location: Dirty Leeds
camroc1 wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:
Some rather stark figures in this poll, 21% of those polled in favour of Irish Unification:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/new-p ... sh-border/

The methodology of that poll has been pulled to shreds by prominent NI polling company Lucid Talk (Run by Bill White before Winnie/Earl get their knickers in a twist) for essentially distributing undecideds on a 50/50 basis leading to, for example, the highly unusual poll result of half of all undecideds in West Belfast voting for NI remaining in the UK in a border poll. :lol: :lol:

Lucid Talk claim that when the raw data is analysed according to their algorithm, which takes both area demographics, and past voting patterns into account the result is essentially the same as their last published poll.

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/998612485186998278

Equally half of those undecided in East Belfast are not going to vote to leave the UK.

You going to own up to your whataboutery on the previous page and the attempt to smeer winnie as a sectarian?

Oh or accept that your "joke" was racist?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27848
Give him nathin cammy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42844
earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:
Some rather stark figures in this poll, 21% of those polled in favour of Irish Unification:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/new-p ... sh-border/

The methodology of that poll has been pulled to shreds by prominent NI polling company Lucid Talk (Run by Bill White before Winnie/Earl get their knickers in a twist) for essentially distributing undecideds on a 50/50 basis leading to, for example, the highly unusual poll result of half of all undecideds in West Belfast voting for NI remaining in the UK in a border poll. :lol: :lol:

Lucid Talk claim that when the raw data is analysed according to their algorithm, which takes both area demographics, and past voting patterns into account the result is essentially the same as their last published poll.

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/998612485186998278

Equally half of those undecided in East Belfast are not going to vote to leave the UK.

You going to own up to your whataboutery on the previous page and the attempt to smeer winnie as a sectarian?

Oh or accept that your "joke" was racist?

I fúcking apologised for the "joke" last Saturday Earl, and I was commenting on Snarlenes claim that Unionism was pluralist in its outlook in my images of the 12th. Incidentally you don't have to search very hard to find them, generally first up.

You of course just lead with the old ad hominem attack when you weren't even part of, never mind understood, the conversation. A well known part of Unionist cultural plurality actually.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm
Posts: 14466
camroc1 wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:
Some rather stark figures in this poll, 21% of those polled in favour of Irish Unification:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/new-p ... sh-border/

The methodology of that poll has been pulled to shreds by prominent NI polling company Lucid Talk (Run by Bill White before Winnie/Earl get their knickers in a twist) for essentially distributing undecideds on a 50/50 basis leading to, for example, the highly unusual poll result of half of all undecideds in West Belfast voting for NI remaining in the UK in a border poll. :lol: :lol:

Lucid Talk claim that when the raw data is analysed according to their algorithm, which takes both area demographics, and past voting patterns into account the result is essentially the same as their last published poll.

https://twitter.com/LucidTalk/status/998612485186998278

Equally half of those undecided in East Belfast are not going to vote to leave the UK.

You going to own up to your whataboutery on the previous page and the attempt to smeer winnie as a sectarian?

Oh or accept that your "joke" was racist?

I fúcking apologised for the "joke" last Saturday Earl, and I was commenting on Snarlenes claim that Unionism was pluralist in its outlook in my images of the 12th. Incidentally you don't have to search very hard to find them, generally first up.

You of course just lead with the old ad hominem attack when you weren't even part of, never mind understood, the conversation. A well known part of Unionist cultural plurality actually.

Ah so it is possible to do something that you think was funny at the time but turns out was very f**king stupid
If someone takes a picture though it’s enough to hang you and an entire population set
Maybe I’ll snap your ‘joke’ and people can use it as a stick to beat republicans for ever more
Thats the way it seems to work


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 35143
Location: Planet Rock
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 768
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UI will work out. Plus unification would see UK financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.


Last edited by etherman on Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 768
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UK will work out. Plus unification would see UK financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.

Thanks. I've downloaded it and am looking forward to boring the arse of my friends later.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25236
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UK will work out. Plus unification would see UI financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.


Shots fired in the very first sentence (of the actual report) :shock:

Quote:
Northern Ireland (NI) is falling ever further behind the Republic of Ireland (ROI) in terms of economic development.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27848
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UK will work out. Plus unification would see UK financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.


Financial support would not end overnight. They are mad to get rid of the place and will pay us on a sliding scale for a good few years. It will be like when those private lads build a toll road, nobody uses it and the government have to hand over the cash.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
danthefan wrote:
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UK will work out. Plus unification would see UI financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.


Shots fired in the very first sentence (of the actual report) :shock:

Quote:
Northern Ireland (NI) is falling ever further behind the Republic of Ireland (ROI) in terms of economic development.

I'm not sure that's particularly controversial. Roi is growing fast again. Innit?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
EverReady wrote:
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UK will work out. Plus unification would see UK financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.


Financial support would not end overnight. They are mad to get rid of the place and will pay us on a sliding scale for a good few years. It will be like when those private lads build a toll road, nobody uses it and the government have to hand over the cash.

You break it, you pay for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 58284
Location: Dirty Leeds
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UI will work out. Plus unification would see UK financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.

That study is ludicrously biased.

Commissioned by Friends of Sinn Fein USA and targeted appropriately. Torn apart here https://sluggerotoole.com/2015/11/21/when-is-an-independent-study-on-irish-unification-not-independent/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
earl the beaver wrote:
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UI will work out. Plus unification would see UK financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.

That study is ludicrously biased.

Commissioned by Friends of Sinn Fein USA and targeted appropriately. Torn apart here https://sluggerotoole.com/2015/11/21/when-is-an-independent-study-on-irish-unification-not-independent/

Well if you've actually read the article you quoted you'll see that it doesn't savage the content of the report at all but attempts to undercut it by looking for the funders. Read the first comment under the article.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 35143
Location: Planet Rock
EverReady wrote:
etherman wrote:
Lightship wrote:
etherman wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
If their was reunification would Northern Ireland be a financial drain on Southern Ireland.

May not be the case. Actually might be a financial up turn for both.


What are u basing this on? There was something by a North American University a couple of years ago but I don't know how credible it was.

Canadian, and the reports here:
http://prcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015 ... Report.pdf

But generally doing a 1+1 sum on where the economies are at now is not the way to workout how a UK will work out. Plus unification would see UK financial support end over night. Moving to a single currency on the island would have clear economic benefits. As would moving to a tax system which is based on what the South of England wants.


Financial support would not end overnight. They are mad to get rid of the place and will pay us on a sliding scale for a good few years. It will be like when those private lads build a toll road, nobody uses it and the government have to hand over the cash.

It wouldn't end overnight but that is a nonsense statement. It's not as if we would be offering you guys some sort of financial endorsement to take it off our hands. It would only happen if you and they they voted for it. No financial inducements from us would be necessary. We wouldn't however to an EU and try and stitch them up. A thriving country on our doorstep is good for us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 58284
Location: Dirty Leeds
etherman wrote:
Well if you've actually read the article you quoted you'll see that it doesn't savage the content of the report at all but attempts to undercut it by looking for the funders. Read the first comment under the article.

Apart from pointing out the ludicrous scenarios and assumptions?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25507
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
Not all decisions are financially sound in the short term, but nobody would starve and eventually all would be good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11089
Location: Watson city, MN
DragsterDriver wrote:
Not all decisions are financially sound in the short term, but nobody would starve and eventually all would be good.

I'm not sure about that as a campaigning slogan-

"A United Ireland; nobody would starve "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
earl the beaver wrote:
etherman wrote:
Well if you've actually read the article you quoted you'll see that it doesn't savage the content of the report at all but attempts to undercut it by looking for the funders. Read the first comment under the article.

Apart from pointing out the ludicrous scenarios and assumptions?

He says their a little optimistic. But given he also says we can introduce our own corporation tax system without this he is a little optimistic himself. The study is from a reputable college with track record in this kind of study. Yes some will think it's optimistic. That's just called an opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25507
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
alliswell wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Not all decisions are financially sound in the short term, but nobody would starve and eventually all would be good.

I'm not sure about that as a campaigning slogan-

"A United Ireland; nobody would starve "


:P when you put it like that...

I just think sometimes people need to look past the next couple of years a bit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
DragsterDriver wrote:
alliswell wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Not all decisions are financially sound in the short term, but nobody would starve and eventually all would be good.

I'm not sure about that as a campaigning slogan-

"A United Ireland; nobody would starve "


:P when you put it like that...

I just think sometimes people need to look past the next couple of years a bit.

Well if Britain had always had that motto....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16347
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10967
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

Well then your state is inaccurately named.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2420
etherman wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

Well then your state is inaccurately named.


The state is perfectly named, Redder is however inaccurately describing it though.

(anything you can pedant I can pedant better)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 58284
Location: Dirty Leeds
etherman wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
etherman wrote:
Well if you've actually read the article you quoted you'll see that it doesn't savage the content of the report at all but attempts to undercut it by looking for the funders. Read the first comment under the article.

Apart from pointing out the ludicrous scenarios and assumptions?

He says their a little optimistic. But given he also says we can introduce our own corporation tax system without this he is a little optimistic himself. The study is from a reputable college with track record in this kind of study. Yes some will think it's optimistic. That's just called an opinion.

It's incredibly optimistic and is ultimately steered by Friends of Sinn Fein US's viewpoint. Indeed it is likely that SF themselves funded it in part given that they were all over it in the press within hours of completion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 58284
Location: Dirty Leeds
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

The Republic of Ireland Act 1948 "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

The term Ireland has more than one meaning so using a descriptive that is officially adopted by the Irish government is both logical and correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:42 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16347
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
PornDog wrote:
etherman wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

Well then your state is inaccurately named.


The state is perfectly named, Redder is however inaccurately describing it though.

(anything you can pedant I can pedant better)


:lol:

Indeed, one may describe Ireland as the Republic of Ireland, but it is Ireland which is being so described.

I live in Ireland. Which happens to be a republic.

Ireland.

Wedges pedant hat between cheeks of arse and shuffles indignantly away...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am
Posts: 21097
Another step on the inexorable march toward unification

https://www.independent.ie/business/bre ... 36908.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 58284
Location: Dirty Leeds
redderneck wrote:
PornDog wrote:
etherman wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

Well then your state is inaccurately named.


The state is perfectly named, Redder is however inaccurately describing it though.

(anything you can pedant I can pedant better)


:lol:

Indeed, one may describe Ireland as the Republic of Ireland, but it is Ireland which is being so described.

I live in Ireland. Which happens to be a republic.

Ireland.

Wedges pedant hat between cheeks of arse and shuffles indignantly away...

I was born in Ireland, but not born in Ireland and I'm Irish but not Irish.

Confused yet?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16347
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
earl the beaver wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

The Republic of Ireland Act 1948 "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

The term Ireland has more than one meaning so using a descriptive that is officially adopted by the Irish government is both logical and correct.


That descriptive (ROI) is generally only ever used in official comms to help a less knowledgeable audience avoid confusion. Unless the subject matter involves in some way an Anglo-Irish context, especially one which features a N. Irish context, it is not used. Should not be.

Removes pedant hat, sniffs cautiously, resolves to shower more carefully next time, muses on the added value a bidet might bring, and strides purposefully away...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31171
earl the beaver wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

The Republic of Ireland Act 1948 "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

The term Ireland has more than one meaning so using a descriptive that is officially adopted by the Irish government is both logical and correct.


Do you ever stop talking shite, the constitution is above that and it clearly says:
“ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.”


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2099 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 53  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BBB, Bing [Bot], BlueThunder, Captain Average, Demilich, de_Selby, Google Adsense [Bot], happyhooker, Homer, irishrugbyua, Jays Myth, Keith, Kiwias, La soule, Laurent, Margin_Walker, MungoMan, Plato'sCave, Raggs, redderneck, Toro, UncleFB, Witchfinder General and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group