Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:58 am 

And then we have the BBCs favourite names for Ireland : the Irish Republic if we're in the bad books, and Southen Ahland if not.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am 

Official name is Éire or in English "Ireland" Earl.

Even your PM knows this. She refers to the border being between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

etherman wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
alliswell wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Not all decisions are financially sound in the short term, but nobody would starve and eventually all would be good.

I'm not sure about that as a campaigning slogan-

"A United Ireland; nobody would starve "

:P when you put it like that...

I just think sometimes people need to look past the next couple of years a bit.

Well if Britain had always had that motto....

Is whattaboutery a national sport over there? :P

Duff Paddy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
redderneck wrote:
ROI = Return On Investment. I live in Ireland. Not the Republic of Ireland.

Takes pedant hat off and wanders away...

The Republic of Ireland Act 1948 "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

The term Ireland has more than one meaning so using a descriptive that is officially adopted by the Irish government is both logical and correct.

Do you ever stop talking shite, the constitution is above that and it clearly says:
“ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.”

Where does what I posted contradict that?

Ireland has more than one meaning, using a descriptive term officially adopted in the Republic of Ireland Act when discussing the relationship between the country called Ireland and the bit of the island of Ireland not in it is wholly appropriate.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:11 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
redderneck wrote:

The Republic of Ireland Act 1948 "It is hereby declared that the description of the State shall be the Republic of Ireland."

The term Ireland has more than one meaning so using a descriptive that is officially adopted by the Irish government is both logical and correct.

Do you ever stop talking shite, the constitution is above that and it clearly says:
“ARTICLE 4

Ireland has more than one meaning, using a descriptive term officially adopted in the Republic of Ireland Act when discussing the relationship between the country called Ireland and the bit of the island of Ireland not in it is wholly appropriate.

Doesn't matter. The official name is the official name. The official name of my country is Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 am 

I think my favourite bit of this particular endlessly repeated discussion is that it's required for everyone from Ireland-the-country to pretend that naming your country after a geographical entity with which it does not correspond but to which the namers did lay claim isn't even slightly political, and anybody from the bit of Ireland-the-island that's not part of Ireland-the-country and who doesn't want it to be is being entirely unreasonable in any reservations they have about the name.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:22 am 

Mahoney wrote:
I think my favourite bit of this particular endlessly repeated discussion is that it's required for everyone from Ireland-the-country to pretend that naming your country after a geographical entity with which it does not correspond but to which the namers did lay claim isn't even slightly political, and anybody from the bit of Ireland-the-island that's not part of Ireland-the-country and who doesn't want it to be is being entirely unreasonable in any reservations they have about the name.

So, we're not allowed to name our own country ?

How about declaring that we're a sovereign, independent and democratic state ? Are we allowed to do that ?

Or state that our national flag is green, white and orange ?

Are we allowed to decide that for ourselves ?

I hadn't you down as an Empire warrior, Mahoney !

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 am 

No, no, certainly you can.

We're renaming ours to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (the "Northern" bit makes it such a mouthful). I'm sure you will be totally happy with that change.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 am 

Mahoney wrote:

We're renaming ours to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (the "Northern" bit makes it such a mouthful). I'm sure you will be totally happy with that change.

Well actually you're not, and the very fact that you did change the name to the UK of GB and NI means that the UK politically distinguishes between NI, and Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:28 am 

Mahoney wrote:

You'll be renaming yourselves Little Norway and you'll like it or lump it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 am 

Mahoney wrote:

Go ahead and do it officially so but until then, my country is Ireland and yours is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland . That's what's recognised world wide.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

Well actually you're not,

Really?!
camroc1 wrote:
and the very fact that you did change the name to the UK of GB and NI means that the UK politically distinguishes between NI, and Ireland.

Because using the same name for an island and a bit of an island would be a bit silly.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 am 

Mahoney wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

Really?!
camroc1 wrote:
and the very fact that you did change the name to the UK of GB and NI means that the UK politically distinguishes between NI, and Ireland.

Because using the same name for an island and a bit of an island would be a bit silly.

That's what's recognised internationally

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am 

Mahoney wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

Really?!
camroc1 wrote:

What's it matter to you?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:36 am 

camroc1 wrote:
And then we have the BBCs favourite names for Ireland : the Irish Republic if we're in the bad books, and Southen Ahland if not.

If you dont like it stop fu.cking reading it then, you are sponging it free off the back of license payers anyway

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:39 am 

Winnie wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

If you dont like it stop fu.cking reading it then, you are sponging it free off the back of license payers anyway

Really??? so websites are not freely accessible?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:42 am 

Mahoney wrote:

I would hold off on ordering the new stationary just yet. God know what the place will be called a few years after Brexit.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:45 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Freely accessible but I'd imagine the running and upkeep need to be paid for somehow (license fee payers)
So for some one who contributes nothing to it to come and gurn about the terminology they use to easily describe somewhere to the patrons who do pay for it, is a bit cheeky.
But it has British in it so its catnip to Cammy to come out swinging

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am 

Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Freely accessible but I'd imagine the running and upkeep need to be paid for somehow (license fee payers)
So for some one who contributes nothing to it to come and gurn about the terminology they use to easily describe somewhere to the patrons who do pay for it, is a bit cheeky.

So do you think the Global BBC purely targets people living within the United Kingdom? The World Service must be wasting their time targeting all those non licence payers around the world.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

So do you think the Global BBC purely targets people living within the United Kingdom? The World Service must be wasting their time targeting all those non licence payers around the world.

They are still getting it for free so if they dont like what they read, dont complain about it, just dont read it anymore!
Fairly straightforward, if I visit a website that calls NI, an Orange Statelet I'm not likely to frequent it again, I'll not rant and rave about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Do you get the adverts the same as the rest of world does when accessing it or does your IP location give you the advert free version. If the latter you are indeed getting a ‘free’ service that someone else is paying for.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:55 am 

Mahoney wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

Really?!
camroc1 wrote:

The inhabitants of New Guinea, Timor and Cyprus will be disappointed at that sort of high handed attitude. But it's ok. I've reminded them that at least they've avoided the fate of being called Little Norway, Lesser Norway or I Can't Believe It's Not Norway.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

Go ahead and do it officially so but until then, my country is Ireland and yours is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland . That's what's recognised world wide.

It is; you won. Your country's name implicitly (explicitly?!) lays claim to the whole island of Ireland, and has been recognised internationally as such.

Just don't act all surprised and injured when NI unionists who don't want that to happen resent the name, as if it were an entirely innocent and apolitical choice. It isn't.

If my hypothetical change of name for the UK were to happen it would be a nakedly political change, a quite deliberate claim to sovereignty over the whole island of Ireland and would quite rightly be resisted and resented by the population of Ireland-the-country. And getting it recognised internationally wouldn't change that.

I'm all for a united Ireland - it's one of the few good things I can see coming out of Brexit. At which point this whole thing goes away. In the mean time however I find the blind spot to the political nature of the name hypocritical in people who can perfectly well see it when names are politically directed against their tribe.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:58 am 

shaggy wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:

Do you get the adverts the same as the rest of world does when accessing it or does your IP location give you the advert free version. If the latter you are indeed getting a ‘free’ service that someone else is paying for.

I get the website access the same as I get any other website. That's the whole point of the internet.

I can't load some videos on the BBC website as I'm not in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
I get the website access the same as I get any other website. That's the whole point of the internet.

Are there adverts when you visit the BBC website?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am 

Mahoney wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

It is; you won. Your country's name implicitly (explicitly?!) lays claim to the whole island of Ireland, and has been recognised internationally as such.

Just don't act all surprised and injured when NI unionists who don't want that to happen resent the name, as if it were an entirely innocent and apolitical choice. It isn't.

If my hypothetical change of name for the UK were to happen it would be a nakedly political change, a quite deliberate claim to sovereignty over the whole island of Ireland and would quite rightly be resisted and resented by the population of Ireland-the-country. And getting it recognised internationally wouldn't change that.

I'm all for a united Ireland - it's one of the few good things I can see coming out of Brexit. At which point this whole thing goes away. In the mean time however I find the blind spot to the political nature of the name hypocritical in people who can perfectly well see it when names are politically directed against their tribe.

Whether it does or doesn't is neither here nor there. It is officially called Ireland and recognised as such. The rest of the post is noise.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am 

Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Don't think so. If that annoys you, take it up with the BBC. If they brought it in there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:06 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Don't think so. If that annoys you, take it up with the BBC. If they brought it in there wouldn't be a thing I could do about it.

So you are seeing exactly the same website that UK license fee payers are paying for the upkeep of
I have absolutely no problem with that
What I do take offence at is people who get it for free then cry like a 2 year old child because of the terminology used

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am 

Given the reaction on here to someone calling a country by it's officially recognised descriptive term I'm going to get all precious the next time someone describes Northern Ireland as:
- The North
- The six counties
- The North of Ireland
- The occupied six counties

etc.

Or not really as I probably won't be arsed.

It appears that as with many things regarding NI rules on nomenclature is the sole preserve of posters from south of the border.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:08 am 

Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Winnie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

So you are seeing exactly the same website that UK license fee payers are paying for the upkeep of
I have absolutely no problem with that
What I do take offence at is people who get it for free then cry like a 2 year old child because of the terminology used

Fair enough

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
Given the reaction on here to someone calling a country by it's officially recognised descriptive term I'm going to get all precious the next time someone describes Northern Ireland as:
- The North
- The six counties
- The North of Ireland

etc.

It appears that as with many things regarding NI rules on nomenclature is the sole preserve of posters from south of the border.

Ireland???

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:39 am 

earl the beaver wrote:
- The North
- The six counties
- The North of Ireland

etc.

Any particular reason you are letting the Donegal lads off the hook ?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 am 

:lol:

I love it when Earl "NI is in Britain" the Beaver goes full retard.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:46 am 

How have I gone full retard? Was it by pointing out your "independent" study supporting the economics of UI was far from independent? Or simply discussing why the term ROI is used, particularly in the context of NI and how the term Ireland has more than one meaning?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm 

It never ceases to amaze me that people can get their knickers in a twist so much over this.

How dare you accurately describe the state - I insist you refer to it by its often ambiguous name rather than use a perfectly accurate and legal description. Grrr.

I mean you will technically win the argument, but you're still a f**king loser!

Similarly - how dare you refer to me car (which is blue) as a Blue Car. It's a Car! Get it right! Grrr!

It's a whole bunch of pedantic nonsense and inferiority complex perceived slights. Grow the fudge up!

[/rant]

Edit: now if you took issue with the BBC s old habit of only using the term Eire, which again was wholly and technically correct, but that did really grind my gears.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:29 pm 

I can remember when I was younger being in a kids club on holidays with my brother. There was a quiz or something one day and one of the questions was “what is the capital of ‘Southern Ireland’”? After a lengthy discussion we eventually concluded it was probably Cork. Turned out it was Dublin :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:30 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Another step on the inexorable march toward unification

https://www.independent.ie/business/bre ... 36908.html

Alliance is shooting themselves in the foot by standing next to Shinners and the SDLP. They will probably lose votes to the UUP in East-Antrim, East Belfast/South Belfast.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:31 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
redderneck wrote:

“ARTICLE 4

Doesn't matter. The official name is the official name. The official name of my country is Ireland.

and the official name of Northern Ireland is not the 'North'. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:33 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

Alliance is shooting themselves in the foot by standing next to Shinners and the SDLP. They will probably lose votes to the UUP in East-Antrim, East Belfast/South Belfast.

As opposed to being in government with them? Seriously, some voters need to wise up then.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm 

etherman wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

As opposed to being in government with them? Seriously, some voters need to wise up then.

Hardly the same, Alliance say they are neither Nationalist or Unionist, yet on a lot of instances they are sharing platforms with Nationalists and voting in line with SF/SDLP in the local councils.

DUP are in government as a Unionist, unfortunately this is the was our government in NI has to be. Which is fair enough, considering the circumstances.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next