Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
a lot of bigoted voters in the dup and Sinn Fein/IRA have to die off before it’s possible.

That's not true is it though? It doesn't matter how bigoted supporters from either side are, as long as there's a majority in favour of UI it'll happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
jezzer wrote:
To get a reunification over the line, there'd have to be a serious amount of give and take on both sides, both for practical reasons and to grease the wheels (not just of the act of reunification but the integration of the two societies).

What should "Rep." Ireland want?
1) Government based solely in Dublin. Stormont closed.
2) Very strong role in redrawing electoral boundaries and administrative regions both sides.
3) Compulsory integration of the education system in the north (maybe a chance to do some overdue housekeeping south also). I have a feeling this would be fudged and it's the single most important job of all.
4) No significant cost to the handover of infrastructure from UK, given NI is a cost centre and not a contributor and will continue to be for some time.
5) Transition to the euro asap, but EU to adjust budgetary and fiscal limits to allow overspend/defecits during and following integration.

NI should want:
1) New symbols of State. New flag, new anthem, new protocols
2) Specific Minister or ministers for Ulster Affairs for at least 15 years. Tánaiste to be NI appointee for a specific period?
3) Department or Junior Ministry under Dept of Arts Heritage for Ulster Scots heritage
4) Dedicate budget for Transition/Integration
5) They'll want very long lead times for integration of many Ulster public services and benefits
6) Commonwealth membership seems to me an easy concession but a very outmoded institution. Maybe reunification could provide a new platform for a strategic alliance with the UK and partners that isn't steeped in imperialism and irrelevant connections.
7) Recognition of the Ulster Fry as the de facto Irish breakfast. Can see this being a deal-breaker.

What would be the practically required concessions/demands to make it work? Let's face it, when it comes to ROI/NI (and particularly but not exclusively Unionists), there is no hill too small to die on, so bargaining will be excruciating and rife.

Some fair comments there.
If and its a very big IF it were to ever happen it cannot be seen as a victory for anyone, that is a sure fire road to civil war.
If they went up and down Belfast with tricolours out in jubilation it would be in flames by the end of the day.

It has to be seen as a new country being created, one that is designed for everyone and to make everyone feel comfortable.
Ironically for it to work the initial solution would need to actually piss off everyone, unionists go reluctantly and Nationalists get a dilution of something that was their dream
Losing your country is a massive thing to stomach, nationalists are in return going to have to stomach the loss of lots of things they hold dear to as well or it wouldnt work, well at least wouldnt be peaceful.

This is why the Commonwealth membership would need to be an integral part to negotiations for the first ever unification of the island as one country.
Then as you say Tricolour - binned, Soldier Song - binned, Taoiseach - binned (its Prime Minister), Tánaiste - binned (its deputy prime minister), Angelus - binned, Dail - binned (its Parliament).

As someone stated just amalgamating NI into the current ROI structure would not work.

Binning the Irish language in a unified Irish state? Not a chance. What's your objection to it?

Not saying to bin it but it cannot be the first language
I’m afraid for many unionists Irish is the language of the IRA and was used by Republicans as a weapon
Over time it may be able to be able to gain further traction as any new state matures and grow

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:34 pm 

Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
a lot of bigoted voters in the dup and Sinn Fein/IRA have to die off before it’s possible.

That's not true is it though? It doesn't matter how bigoted supporters from either side are, as long as there's a majority in favour of UI it'll happen.

Simple arithmetic has bedeviled NI discussion for 100 years ...... bigots trump majorities because NI hasn’t never been a functioning democracy and no border poll is going for change that

I have no interest in a UI where even a small cohort of cvnts feel disaffected

Let them sort their own bigots out first before we entertain hitching our wagon to a UI

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 pm 

I'm not sure I'd want to throw our entire culture away to entice some backward plums up north.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:38 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Simple arithmetic has bedeviled NI discussion for 100 years ...... bigots trump majorities because NI hasn’t never been a functioning democracy and no border poll is going for change that

Let them sort their own bigots out first before we entertain hitching our wagon to a UI

That's not how the GFA works though.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you. We also have our own bigots to sort out.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:46 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
kiap wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Then as you say Tricolour - binned, Soldier Song - binned, Taoiseach - binned (its Prime Minister), Tánaiste - binned (its deputy prime minister), Angelus - binned, Dail - binned (its Parliament).

As someone stated just amalgamating NI into the current ROI structure would not work.

Binning the Irish language in a unified Irish state? Not a chance. What's your objection to it?

Yep. Surely the Irish language titles could stay.

I'm guessing the practicalities of the world today mean that English will remain the main language used regardless.

So it's only fair a few Irish words are promoted.

Irish and English are the official languages of (this) Irish state, most people still use English. No need for that to change. Objecting to official titles being in Irish just seems petty, IMO.

I don't think it really matters. I know if I were living in this New Ireland I'd use English (Prime minister, Parliament etc) as I do not know nor feel any affinity to the Irish language. Unless it was someone's name then I would give it a good old college try.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:47 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
I'm not sure I'd want to throw our entire culture away to entice some backward plums up north.

I’m glad we can have this sensible discussion it does show a level of maturity on this bored that doesn’t normally exist :lol:

Don’t forget now you are talking about losing a bit of your culture whilst I am talking about losing my country

In all seriousness what elements of your culture would be the line in the sand?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:48 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I’m afraid for many unionists Irish is the language of the IRA and was used by Republicans as a weapon
Over time it may be able to be able to gain further traction as any new state matures and grow

It's not the first language now, is it? There are two, one can use whichever they feel happiest with.

FARC, ETA etc use Spanish, is Spanish the language of violent separatists?

Bullettyme wrote:

Agreed.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:49 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Don’t forget now you are talking about losing a bit of your culture whilst I am talking about losing my country

You might want to direct some ire across the Irish Sea wrt that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

I’m glad we can have this sensible discussion it does show a level of maturity on this bored that doesn’t normally exist :lol:

We'd be losing our country too in your proposal Winnie.

I'd take the language, the name of the country and Franno as non-negotiables. Everything else can go as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Yes, because you've been very mature yourself "binning" everything :roll:

As I see it Irish is going to still have its place, there's a significant minority (perhaps majority) in the north who will still want it retained in parts of public life. The "terrorist language" thing is ridiculous and bollocks imo, it's demeaned as irrelevant more so.

We'd also be losing our country as it would take a fundamental reorganisation of the state.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:54 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
jezzer wrote:
To get a reunification over the line, there'd have to be a serious amount of give and take on both sides, both for practical reasons and to grease the wheels (not just of the act of reunification but the integration of the two societies).

What should "Rep." Ireland want?
1) Government based solely in Dublin. Stormont closed.
2) Very strong role in redrawing electoral boundaries and administrative regions both sides.
3) Compulsory integration of the education system in the north (maybe a chance to do some overdue housekeeping south also). I have a feeling this would be fudged and it's the single most important job of all.
4) No significant cost to the handover of infrastructure from UK, given NI is a cost centre and not a contributor and will continue to be for some time.
5) Transition to the euro asap, but EU to adjust budgetary and fiscal limits to allow overspend/defecits during and following integration.

NI should want:
1) New symbols of State. New flag, new anthem, new protocols
2) Specific Minister or ministers for Ulster Affairs for at least 15 years. Tánaiste to be NI appointee for a specific period?
3) Department or Junior Ministry under Dept of Arts Heritage for Ulster Scots heritage
4) Dedicate budget for Transition/Integration
5) They'll want very long lead times for integration of many Ulster public services and benefits
6) Commonwealth membership seems to me an easy concession but a very outmoded institution. Maybe reunification could provide a new platform for a strategic alliance with the UK and partners that isn't steeped in imperialism and irrelevant connections.
7) Recognition of the Ulster Fry as the de facto Irish breakfast. Can see this being a deal-breaker.

What would be the practically required concessions/demands to make it work? Let's face it, when it comes to ROI/NI (and particularly but not exclusively Unionists), there is no hill too small to die on, so bargaining will be excruciating and rife.

Some fair comments there.
If and its a very big IF it were to ever happen it cannot be seen as a victory for anyone, that is a sure fire road to civil war.
If they went up and down Belfast with tricolours out in jubilation it would be in flames by the end of the day.

It has to be seen as a new country being created, one that is designed for everyone and to make everyone feel comfortable.
Ironically for it to work the initial solution would need to actually piss off everyone, unionists go reluctantly and Nationalists get a dilution of something that was their dream
Losing your country is a massive thing to stomach, nationalists are in return going to have to stomach the loss of lots of things they hold dear to as well or it wouldnt work, well at least wouldnt be peaceful.

This is why the Commonwealth membership would need to be an integral part to negotiations for the first ever unification of the island as one country.

I never eat hotdogs because the NAZIS. Cmon Winnie. Of course the symbols needs to be changed, but binning a nations language because some of the people who could speak it were terrorists?
I could give a shite about Gaeilge in many respects, so I doubt if miss it much if it were relegated. But this is exactly why I said Unionists can find any hill to die on.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

It's not the first language now, is it? There are two, one can use whichever they feel happiest with.

Bullettyme wrote:

Agreed.

Everyone is being very defensive of the Irish language
I’m not saying bin it I’m saying that English would need to be used officially
The Taoiseach needs to be replaced by something else, in English
You can still call it what you like but officially it must not be Irish so when RTE (that will need to go/be amended too by the way) is reporting on the days events they do not use the Irish title
Little sacrifices like that surely are not too much to have one peaceful nation now would they?
Remember in a new rainbow nation sacrifices will need to be made by all

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:00 pm 

Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Not that I necessarily disagree with you. We also have our own bigots to sort out.

you're darn tootin'

for the record, I despise marxist republicans even more than I despise sectarian loyalists .... at least the loyalists believe in capitalism

the GFA is an imperfect construct, designed to take the heat out of the NI constitutional position. Even if enough loons up there vote for a UI, it wont happen unless the southern electorate want it to ........ and they dont.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

you're darn tootin'

for the record, I despise marxist republicans even more than I despise sectarian loyalists .... at least the loyalists believe in capitalism

the GFA is an imperfect construct, designed to take the heat out of the NI constitutional position. Even if enough loons up there vote for a UI, it wont happen unless the southern electorate want it to ........ and they dont.

Well that is a whole new literal and metaphorical shooting match right there

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:07 pm 

A UI vote down south would pass with 60% minimum in favour I reckon. It's a heart not head issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
MrDominator wrote:
Dan O'Brien wrote a good article on this a couple of weeks ago.

In essence, he observed that reunification would entail Ireland rejoining the Commonwealth and welcoming Her Majesty The Queen as Head of State.

Which is why it will never happen.

:?

India is in commonwealth and the queen is not their head of state.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm 

I'd like us to unify with Switzerland :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:10 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:

more cheese ? ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:10 pm 

Diego wrote:
A UI vote down south would pass with 60% minimum in favour I reckon. It's a heart not head issue.

not sure about that .....especially when we're told our marginal taxes are going to 60% in order to pay for it

celtic phoenix is a 26 county animal in the minds of most down here

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm 

I'm afraid Winnie is correct.

If we are to have a unified country , then concessions have to be made on both sides. We'd be both losing our countries as we would like them. There has to be give.

Feck that. Status quo it is. I like the way it is Brexit excluded.

Laurent wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

more cheese ? ;)

Fondue made with Dunnes Stores Easi-Singles :thumbup:

ZappaMan wrote:

exactly ..... why would anyone would want to be seen with a crack-ho like NI on their arm, when they could be ridin' Miss Switzerland and counting the nazi gold dowry that comes with her?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Bullettyme wrote:

Agreed.

You can still call it what you like but officially it must not be Irish so when RTE (that will need to go/be amended too by the way) is reporting on the days events they do not use the Irish title
Little sacrifices like that surely are not too much to have one peaceful nation now would they?

Certainly would need to abandon prerequisite for Irish among civil/public servants. I wouldn't have an exemption for NI people as then you get into the sort of inequal treatment cycles that kicked the whole thing off.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:13 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Laurent wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:

more cheese ? ;)

Fondue made with Dunnes Stores Easi-Singles :thumbup:

:lol:

yuck

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 pm 

Diego wrote:

Just like Scotland.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 pm 

Diego wrote:

And that , I would imagine would be the minimum bar set for a proposal of this nature, possibly even a bit higher. Nobody wants some 52/48 non result. It would cause mayhem.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Bullettyme wrote:

Agreed.

They had tanaistes in Scotland MacBeth was one.
Sorry, maybe not the best choice.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
Diego wrote:

And that , I would imagine would be the minimum bar set for a proposal of this nature, possibly even a bit higher. Nobody wants some 52/48 non result. It would cause mayhem.

au contraire .... the shinners will insist on 50% plus 1 vote, being the bar

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:18 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Diego wrote:

F uck the shinners. Last time I noticed those commie bastards weren't sitting around any cabinet table.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:19 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Diego wrote:

F uck the shinners. Last time I noticed those commie bastards weren't sitting around any cabinet table.

Getting closer every election. The nightmare is never too far away.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 pm 

Why sacrifice the progress made in promoting the Irish language? It should be taken as an opportunity by the people of NI, though hopefully by that point NI will have it's own Irish Language Act.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Diego wrote:

F uck....how did it get to this. Can we take the vote away from scummers ?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:22 pm 

What's Ulster Scots for "prime minister"?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:

Thon heed wan

Edit I’m actually making that up but I wouldn’t be amazed if im not too far off it

Last edited by Winnie on Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:

Prah Mannastarr

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

Thon heed wan

Edit I’m actually making that up but I wouldn’t be amazed if im not too far off it

Big Yin or sommat like that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:25 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

F uck....how did it get to this. Can we take the vote away from scummers ?

They should only give votes to citizens who have records of paying tax. That would fudge most of the inner city flat dwellers.

unseenwork wrote:
Why sacrifice the progress made in promoting the Irish language? It should be taken as an opportunity by the people of NI, though hopefully by that point NI will have it's own Irish Language Act.

Oh I wish I was young and naive as well at times

Uncle Fester wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1786 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next