Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Irish reunification
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Everyone is being very defensive of the Irish language
I’m not saying bin it I’m saying that English would need to be used officially
The Taoiseach needs to be replaced by something else, in English
You can still call it what you like but officially it must not be Irish so when RTE (that will need to go/be amended too by the way) is reporting on the days events they do not use the Irish title
Little sacrifices like that surely are not too much to have one peaceful nation now would they?
Remember in a new rainbow nation sacrifices will need to be made by all

They aren't little sacrifices. Partition for the foreseeable future it is, so. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:27 pm 

Winnie wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
Why sacrifice the progress made in promoting the Irish language? It should be taken as an opportunity by the people of NI, though hopefully by that point NI will have it's own Irish Language Act.

Oh I wish I was young and naive as well at times

Needs must there'll be the Gulags on Rathlin. :P

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:28 pm 

Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
a lot of bigoted voters in the dup and Sinn Fein/IRA have to die off before it’s possible.

That's not true is it though? It doesn't matter how bigoted supporters from either side are, as long as there's a majority in favour of UI it'll happen.

Simple arithmetic has bedeviled NI discussion for 100 years ...... bigots trump majorities because NI hasn’t never been a functioning democracy and no border poll is going for change that

I have no interest in a UI where even a small cohort of cvnts feel disaffected

Let them sort their own bigots out first before we entertain hitching our wagon to a UI

That's not how the GFA works though.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you. We also have our own bigots to sort out.

How the GFA works is that if 50% + 1 of those voting in NI in a border poll vote for a United Ireland (and that is reciprocated in Ireland), well then there will be a near immediate United Ireland. If Unionists leave it until they have lost the poll before they start to negotiate any sort of terms, they will have no leverage in those negotiations, since the outcome, a United Ireland has been pre determined. Given demographic patterns, the sooner the Unionists start to negotiate the more leverage they will have. But I can't see, and if I'm wrong please enlighten me, any Unionist party sitting down to negotiations before any such border poll is held. It's a Catch 22 situation for them.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:31 pm 

I get the opposition to the flags and the national anthem. I get the opposition to taking all power from Belfast. I get the worries about losing all your culture and traditions. I get fears about being a minority. I do not get the opposition to the Irish language. It's just a language, there's nothing malicious about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm 

Diego wrote:
I get the opposition to the flags and the national anthem. I get the opposition to taking all power from Belfast. I get the worries about losing all your culture and traditions. I get fears about being a minority. I do not get the opposition to the Irish language. It's just a language, there's nothing malicious about it.

It's themmuns getting their way. Can't have that.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:37 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
a lot of bigoted voters in the dup and Sinn Fein/IRA have to die off before it’s possible.

That's not true is it though? It doesn't matter how bigoted supporters from either side are, as long as there's a majority in favour of UI it'll happen.

Simple arithmetic has bedeviled NI discussion for 100 years ...... bigots trump majorities because NI hasn’t never been a functioning democracy and no border poll is going for change that

Let them sort their own bigots out first before we entertain hitching our wagon to a UI

Not that I necessarily disagree with you. We also have our own bigots to sort out.

How the GFA works is that if 50% + 1 of those voting in NI in a border poll vote for a United Ireland (and that is reciprocated in Ireland), well then there will be a near immediate United Ireland. If Unionists leave it until they have lost the poll before they start to negotiate any sort of terms, they will have no leverage in those negotiations, since the outcome, a United Ireland has been pre determined. Given demographic patterns, the sooner the Unionists start to negotiate the more leverage they will have. But I can't see, and if I'm wrong please enlighten me, any Unionist party sitting down to negotiations before any such border poll is held. It's a Catch 22 situation for them.

I had forgotten that was in the GFA. We are all f ucked then as there will be probably enough gobshites in the South to vote for this fiasco. Agree what you say vis a vis leverage. If the lemmings all f uck themselves of the economic cliff across the water the consequences for us will be bad but for the North will be dire.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:38 pm 

Wait no, sorry, "Irish Language Re-education Camps".

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:43 pm 

unseenwork wrote:

Also known as a The Gaelteacht to Irish schoolchildren.

A couple of summers of unionist teenagers suffering dictatorial Bean an Tís, whilst trying to get off with anyone who resembles the opposite sex will sort that out.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:43 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

You do realise that chanting the same mantra doesn’t make it true.
Unionist numbers are not going to dilute by the much going forward and in the odd chance that brexit is a success they might actually grow

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:58 pm 

Do people talk to each other in Irish? Genuine question- I’ve only heard Irish people speak in English to each other over here.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:58 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

A couple of summers of unionist teenagers suffering dictatorial Bean an Tís, whilst trying to get off with anyone who resembles the opposite sex will sort that out.

Mná an tí.

Take him away.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Do people talk to each other in Irish? Genuine question- I’ve only heard Irish people speak in English to each other over here.

Yes, and all 42 of them are very fluent speakers.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:00 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

A minority do. Particularly in the Gaeltacht regions, unsurprisingly.
My cousin was born and raised through English in Dublin, but is now living in rural Galway with his wife and they live their lives through Irish. Very much a minority, but it exists.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:02 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

There are native speakers in Kerry, Cork, Waterford, Galway, Mayo and Donegal. They live in areas known as An Ghaeltacht.

Most of us are English speakers but have to learn it in school and optionally go to summer school in the Gaeltacht .

I can understand about 90% of Irish and speak reasonably but I'm not fluent.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:05 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

My cousin was born and raised through English in Dublin, but is now living in rural Galway with his wife and they live their lives through Irish. Very much a minority, but it exists.

Cool- The majority of my Irish friends are from Mayo, there’s a big expat community in Cambridge.

I’m now a bit worried in private they’re a bunch of Cammy’s and plot my demise in Irish :P

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:05 pm 

jezzer wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Mná an tí.

Take him away.

Mná is plural so women of the houses should translate as:

Mná na tithe

Bean is singular so woman of the house is:

bean an tí

Tuiseal Ginideach and all that

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Cool- The majority of my Irish friends are from Mayo, there’s a big expat community in Cambridge.

I’m now a bit worried in private they’re a bunch of Cammy’s and plot my demise in Irish :P

I'm sure most of them can speak it to some degree.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:09 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Diego wrote:
A UI vote down south would pass with 60% minimum in favour I reckon. It's a heart not head issue.

And that , I would imagine would be the minimum bar set for a proposal of this nature, possibly even a bit higher. Nobody wants some 52/48 non result. It would cause mayhem.

au contraire .... the shinners will insist on 50% plus 1 vote, being the bar

F uck the shinners. Last time I noticed those commie bastards weren't sitting around any cabinet table.

F uck....how did it get to this. Can we take the vote away from scummers ?

a lot of the shinner core vote isnt scummers ..... its idealistic millenial fvckwits, who have swallowed the "somebody else should pay" bolloxology, hook line and sinker.

These gobshites are prepared to hold their noses at the murdering criminal cult aspect of Sinn Fein, and the continuing absence of high level violence allows them to do so..... even when they know deep down that mary lou is on the end of a tight leash that begins in west belfast

the best way to counter this is to give them more money in their pockets via tax/usc cuts and thereby show them what they'd lose if the marxist loons ever got into power. Unfortunately FG are too busy trying to spend money on every bleeding heart/RTE cause out there (for which they'll get no thanks), instead of looking after the people who get up early in the morning

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm 

I'm afraid the term "Ireland" will have to be erased as well.

HibernoCaledonia has a nice ring to it, but open to suggestions... Celtranga anyone?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

of course there will be education camps,you don't really believe that's a Centre Parcs that's being built in Longford do you?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

I'm sure most of them can speak it to some degree.

I’ll be keeping my eye on them.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm 

The gaeltacht of Mayo lol, that's long gone.

The west of Ireland is a chilled out place bar when the entitled ones from Armagh and Tyrone flock to the resorts for a few days in July or you're unlucky enough to meet a wedding party of them down en masse.

Probably getting the unionists to realise that the people of the republic aren't like those entitled ones is the biggest stumbling block.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:36 pm 

Stability will be the name of the game with regards to reunification. Which means bugger all change to the nature of the Irish state; the North will be absorbed much as the eastern German Lander were by the BDR in 1990. Indeed it can't go any other way as EU membership is predicated on state continuance, hence an independent Scotland would have had to have to applied for membership as a successor state whereas rUK wouldn't have had IndyRef passed.

Stormont won't continue, NI as any kind of entity will cease to exist.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm 

Hellraiser wrote:
Stability will be the name of the game with regards to reunification. Which means bugger all change to the nature of the Irish state; the North will be absorbed much as the eastern German Lander were by the BDR in 1990. Indeed it can't go any other way as EU membership is predicated on state continuance, hence an independent Scotland would have had to have to applied for membership as a successor state whereas rUK wouldn't have had IndyRef passed.

I'd be in favour of having provincial LA's instead of County ones. There's far far too much duplication in the system we have now.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm 

Have you lot never met northerners on holidays, they act like complete twats. For that reason alone I am completely anti reunification

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:50 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

I'd be in favour of having provincial LA's instead of County ones. There's far far too much duplication in the system we have now.

As would I to be honest and I've proposed full provincial devolution in a UI in the past. But that is significantly different to the federalisation of the country.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:09 pm 

Hellraiser wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

As would I to be honest and I've proposed full provincial devolution in a UI in the past. But that is significantly different to the federalisation of the country.

We're much too small for federalisation.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
It's non-negotiable because of the whole monarchy thing.

I'm not some mad anti-royalist and like to think that I'm fairly reasonable and objective, but I couldn't countenance Ireland ever joining the Commonwealth. It's just not compatible with where the country emerged from.
We can be very closely aligned with the UK on many policy matters and be as buddy-buddy as possible, but as two entirely separate states with no connection at governmental level.

The Commonwealth we left is not the same one that exists today. The one we left we had been forced to be part of. Ourselves and South Africa spent years politicking to get the rules re-written so that we could leave, and once in existence we both left. Mandela brought South Africa back in because he recognised then that it was no longer a tool of control of the empire, but a group of countries largely with a shared experience of having been Brit colonies. While I do not see any great benefit of membership (compared to EU), I do see it as having great symbolism in the context of a United Ireland. There will always be some Irish representative who would like to toast the head of the commonwealth, and good luck to them if they are doing it on behalf of Ireland.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 pm 

Hellraiser wrote:

Wrong attitude if you would want it to be a peaceful success
There simply could not be belief that nothing will change to the nature of the Irish state and oh by the way Northern Ireland you just don’t exist anymore would lead to a peaceful process
If you think so I’ll have a pint of what you are having

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:17 pm 

Bogbunny wrote:

HibernoCaledonia has a nice ring to it, but open to suggestions... Celtranga anyone?

An Saorstát Éireann Mór.

In all seriousness, why not use half from each of the current names,
i.e. Northern Republic, or just Ireland.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 pm 

Winnie wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

Wrong attitude if you would want it to be a peaceful success
There simply could not be belief that nothing will change to the nature of the Irish state and oh by the way Northern Ireland you just don’t exist anymore would lead to a peaceful process
If you think so I’ll have a pint of what you are having

The Irish constitution wouldn't end, but have some serious amending and a referendum to seal the deal. The language things a read hearing. English and Irish would remain official languages.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:

We're much too small for federalisation.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
jezzer wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
unseenwork wrote:

Mná an tí.

Take him away.

Mná is plural so women of the houses should translate as:

Mná na tithe

Bean is singular so woman of the house is:

bean an tí

Tuiseal Ginideach and all that

Women of the house is more grammatically correct.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:21 pm 

Leinster in London wrote:
Bogbunny wrote:

An Saorstát Éireann Mór.

In all seriousness, why not use half from each of the current names,
i.e. Northern Republic, or just Ireland.

United Kingdom of Ireland

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:41 pm 

And who does the Govt. of Ireland negotiate with, Winnie ?

You can't really complain about the result if you don't have feet under the negotiating table.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:44 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Winnie wrote:
Everyone is being very defensive of the Irish language
I’m not saying bin it I’m saying that English would need to be used officially
The Taoiseach needs to be replaced by something else, in English
You can still call it what you like but officially it must not be Irish so when RTE (that will need to go/be amended too by the way) is reporting on the days events they do not use the Irish title
Little sacrifices like that surely are not too much to have one peaceful nation now would they?
Remember in a new rainbow nation sacrifices will need to be made by all

They aren't little sacrifices. Partition for the foreseeable future it is, so. :thumbup:

Theres a perfect compromise. We dump Irish titles like Taoiseach etc but Belfast is renamed to Béal Feirste and LondonDerry to CahirsiveenDerry

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
And who does the Govt. of Ireland negotiate with, Winnie ?

You can't really complain about the result if you don't have feet under the negotiating table.

Why would they be negotiating? Currently any unionist negotiating a UI would be shunned forever. Pure Lundy.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 pm 

Why negotiate? Wait for the 50+1 vote and then thats it. The prods will do as they're told

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Why negotiate? Wait for the 50+1 vote and then thats it. The prods will do as they're told

Well that's the alternative as set down in the GFA.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:58 pm 

It's a little pointless this anyway since I don't believe that a Unification Referendum with ever happen under a Conservative government.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2048 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 52  Next