Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: UKIP Goooooooone
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 pm 

From the House of Parliament, their only MP has quit. Now feck off into obscurity you swivel eyed loons.
Bit like Labour and Corbyn are doing tbh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39393213
Quote:
Douglas Carswell quitting UKIP to become independent MP for Clacton
1 hour ago
From the section UK Politics

Media captionDouglas Carswell: Why I won't trigger a by-election
UKIP's Douglas Carswell is quitting the party to become an independent MP and says he is doing so "amicably".
The party's only MP defected from the Conservatives in 2014.
Former leader Nigel Farage recently called on Mr Carswell to quit, accusing him of "actively working against UKIP".
Party leader Paul Nuttall said Mr Carswell was "committed to Brexit, but was never a comfortable Ukipper". There are now calls within UKIP for the Clacton MP to call a by-election.
The party leader said Mr Carswell's announcement was "not a surprise".
He said: "I was elected on a pledge to forge unity in the party, and have had many discussions with key players to try and make that happen, but it had become increasingly clear to me that some things were simply beyond reach."
Douglas Carswell: The political maverick
UKIP donor Arron Banks had previously indicated he could stand against Mr Carswell at the next election, amid a long-running feud over UKIP's future direction and strategy.
His spokesman, Andy Wigmore, said: "The net has been closing in - there is a UKIP National Executive Committee meeting on Monday and he knew he was for the chop, so jumped.
"He should call a by-election and Arron will stand against him."
On Twitter, Mr Banks posted a smiley face emoji and a green tick.
Arron Banks TweetImage copyrightTWITTER
Mr Farage tweeted: "Carswell has jumped before he was pushed. He was never UKIP and sought to undermine us. He should have gone some time ago."
Political cartel
Mr Carswell chose to announce the decision on his blog, just days before the prime minister is due to formally notify the European Union the UK is leaving.
He said: "I switched to UKIP because I desperately wanted us to leave the EU. Now we can be certain that that is going to happen, I have decided that I will be leaving UKIP."
He added: "I will not be switching parties, nor crossing the floor to the Conservatives, so do not need to call a by election, as I did when switching from the Conservatives to UKIP. I will simply be the Member of Parliament for Clacton, sitting as an independent.
"I will leave UKIP amicably, cheerfully and in the knowledge that we won."
Mr Carswell told the BBC News Channel he would will still be sitting in opposition "holding the government to account".
He declined to comment on where his decision left UKIP, saying there was a "political cartel" in the UK and he wanted to be part of "far-reaching change" as an independent MP.
Mr Carswell said: "I think the fundamental reason for UKIP - certainly the reason that I made that switch and I think the reason why millions of people around the country made the switch to UKIP, was over the Europe question."

Media captionThe 2014 defection: "Only UKIP can shake up that cosy little clique called Westminster"
Earlier this month, Mr Carswell vowed to "absolutely" fight the next general election as a UKIP candidate.
He was speaking after Mr Nuttall urged senior figures to "stick together" after he unsuccessfully stood for Parliament at the Stoke Central by-election.
Mr Carswell, 45, first entered the Commons in 2005 as MP for Harwich, defeating Labour's candidate by just 920 votes. By 2010 he defeated the same opponent by 12,000 votes - although boundary changes had seen the seat renamed.
Douglas CarswellImage copyrightPA
Image caption
Mr Carswell retained his seat with a 3,437 majority at the 2015 general election
After defecting to UKIP he stood down to seek re-election in a by-election, which he won by 12,404 votes in October 2014. At the general election in 2015, he retained the seat with a 3,437 majority.
Another Tory MP, Mark Reckless, followed Mr Carswell's example by defecting to UKIP in 2014, but lost his seat the following year.
UKIP MEP Bill Etheridge said he was "delighted" as the "focus of serious infighting in the party has gone".
"But I think he needs to step down and call a by election... He was elected twice on a UKIP ticket, with UKIP resources and the hard work and shoe leather of UKIP activists."

Post subject: Re: UKIP Goooooooone
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:03 pm 

who needs UKIP when Theresa May is the first UKIP Prime Minister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:05 pm 

Best thing that could have happened apparently.

Quote:
Cranky Douglas Carswell can stop holding Ukip back now
BILL ETHERIDGE
UKIP MEP

It’s not often a party celebrates losing representation in Westminster, but today I am doing just that. Douglas Carswell has been a malevolent influence in Ukip and today he has removed himself, following calls from many people, myself included, that he needs to go.

Since joining the party; something I believe he did in name but not in spirit, Mr Carswell has been nothing but a source of division and I believe that is exactly what he wanted to be.

In his book The Brexit Club, author Owen Bennett claimed that Mr Carswell joined the party to “undermine” the man who brought us Brexit, Nigel Farage. I believe this is something he continued to do after the referendum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:06 pm 

c69 wrote:
From the House of Parliament, their only MP has quit. Now feck off into obscurity you swivel eyed loons.
Bit like Labour and Corbyn are doing tbh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39393213
Quote:
Douglas Carswell quitting UKIP to become independent MP for Clacton
1 hour ago
From the section UK Politics

Media captionDouglas Carswell: Why I won't trigger a by-election
UKIP's Douglas Carswell is quitting the party to become an independent MP and says he is doing so "amicably".
The party's only MP defected from the Conservatives in 2014.
Former leader Nigel Farage recently called on Mr Carswell to quit, accusing him of "actively working against UKIP".
Party leader Paul Nuttall said Mr Carswell was "committed to Brexit, but was never a comfortable Ukipper". There are now calls within UKIP for the Clacton MP to call a by-election.
The party leader said Mr Carswell's announcement was "not a surprise".
He said: "I was elected on a pledge to forge unity in the party, and have had many discussions with key players to try and make that happen, but it had become increasingly clear to me that some things were simply beyond reach."
Douglas Carswell: The political maverick
UKIP donor Arron Banks had previously indicated he could stand against Mr Carswell at the next election, amid a long-running feud over UKIP's future direction and strategy.
His spokesman, Andy Wigmore, said: "The net has been closing in - there is a UKIP National Executive Committee meeting on Monday and he knew he was for the chop, so jumped.
"He should call a by-election and Arron will stand against him."
On Twitter, Mr Banks posted a smiley face emoji and a green tick.
Arron Banks TweetImage copyrightTWITTER
Mr Farage tweeted: "Carswell has jumped before he was pushed. He was never UKIP and sought to undermine us. He should have gone some time ago."
Political cartel
Mr Carswell chose to announce the decision on his blog, just days before the prime minister is due to formally notify the European Union the UK is leaving.
He said: "I switched to UKIP because I desperately wanted us to leave the EU. Now we can be certain that that is going to happen, I have decided that I will be leaving UKIP."
He added: "I will not be switching parties, nor crossing the floor to the Conservatives, so do not need to call a by election, as I did when switching from the Conservatives to UKIP. I will simply be the Member of Parliament for Clacton, sitting as an independent.
"I will leave UKIP amicably, cheerfully and in the knowledge that we won."
Mr Carswell told the BBC News Channel he would will still be sitting in opposition "holding the government to account".
He declined to comment on where his decision left UKIP, saying there was a "political cartel" in the UK and he wanted to be part of "far-reaching change" as an independent MP.
Mr Carswell said: "I think the fundamental reason for UKIP - certainly the reason that I made that switch and I think the reason why millions of people around the country made the switch to UKIP, was over the Europe question."

Media captionThe 2014 defection: "Only UKIP can shake up that cosy little clique called Westminster"
Earlier this month, Mr Carswell vowed to "absolutely" fight the next general election as a UKIP candidate.
He was speaking after Mr Nuttall urged senior figures to "stick together" after he unsuccessfully stood for Parliament at the Stoke Central by-election.
Mr Carswell, 45, first entered the Commons in 2005 as MP for Harwich, defeating Labour's candidate by just 920 votes. By 2010 he defeated the same opponent by 12,000 votes - although boundary changes had seen the seat renamed.
Douglas CarswellImage copyrightPA
Image caption
Mr Carswell retained his seat with a 3,437 majority at the 2015 general election
After defecting to UKIP he stood down to seek re-election in a by-election, which he won by 12,404 votes in October 2014. At the general election in 2015, he retained the seat with a 3,437 majority.
Another Tory MP, Mark Reckless, followed Mr Carswell's example by defecting to UKIP in 2014, but lost his seat the following year.
UKIP MEP Bill Etheridge said he was "delighted" as the "focus of serious infighting in the party has gone".
"But I think he needs to step down and call a by election... He was elected twice on a UKIP ticket, with UKIP resources and the hard work and shoe leather of UKIP activists."

Defector defected. Next step independent conservative?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:13 pm 

From reading around Brexit it is obvious Douglas Carswell was a thorn in UKIPs side form the start. Him moving to UKIP helped boost the Brexit move, something he has always been passionate about, but he was always happy to undermine the big UKIP players ego's and looney ideas.

Though I suspect given current trends UKIP could well be getting some seats next general election anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:17 pm 

waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

Last edited by eldanielfire on Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:22 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

My was a remainer.

I cannot believe silly wag actually wrote that

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:34 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

More of a submariner apparently

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:58 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

WAS...

now she is a ukipper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:00 pm 

waguser wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

WAS...

now she is a ukipper

You can tell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:46 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

She has received her marching orders and is acting accordingly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:49 pm 

waguser wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

WAS...

now she is a ukipper

Ukippers are members of UKIP. Theresa is a member of the Conservative party and always has been.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:03 pm 

I assume Carswell has done the honorable thing and resigned the seat?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:01 am 

Rowdy wrote:
I assume Carswell has done the honorable thing and resigned the seat?

Nope. He right points out that as he isn't switching party as staying in opposition there is no need. He did call a by-election when he switched to UKIP so I would wager he has no fears about not winning one again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:14 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

WAS...

now she is a ukipper

Ukippers are members of UKIP. Theresa is a member of the Conservative party and always has been.

There are people who would like to believe anyone who was pro brexit (i know she wasn't) is a ukipper. Absurd idea but that is how some see the world.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:48 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

WAS...

now she is a ukipper

There are people who would like to believe anyone who was pro brexit (i know she wasn't) is a ukipper. Absurd idea but that is how some see the world.

Indeed. There was a study published a few months ago. It showed that a number of Remainers are increasingly out of touch with everything and have adopted a harder Anti-Brexit stance. The majority of Remainers have accepted Brexit and Brexiters showed no signs of Brexit remorse, dispite that first group seeming sure there should have been. Basically a hard core group of remainers are desperately lashing out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:52 pm 

I was and guess if the whole thug could be forgotten a remainer, however the actions of the losing side to change democracy is very very dangerous. If we don't get article 50 posted and leave the EU we may as we'll give up on any belief that we have a democratic vote here, it's really that serious.

Oh that and little Timmy Farron, who is a f ucking c unt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:02 pm 

Some impressive delusion going on in this thread.

Protest parties getting found out all over the planet at the moment. Shame the horse had bolted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:28 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Some impressive delusion going on in this thread.

Protest parties getting found out all over the planet at the moment. Shame the horse had bolted

Has UKIP ever been anything but a known quantiity? It's not as if the media, both right and left, haven't highlighted Farage and UKIPs members as exactly what they are at their worst anyway? Nothing ahs exactly been exposed here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:34 pm 

And yet UKIP were the third largest party in the 2015 election by vote share. Does anyone besides Nuttall think that they would equal or better that performance at the next one? Whether there has been any new revelation or not, their appeal is waning

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:36 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
And yet UKIP were the third largest party in the 2015 election by vote share. Does anyone besides Nuttall think that they would equal or better that performance at the next one? Whether there has been any new revelation or not, their appeal is waning

They have no purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:54 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

They have no purpose.

yup, lost their raison d'etre now we're leaving.

they've served their purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:57 pm 

Paul nutter sounded dreadful on TV today

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:41 pm 

waguser wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
waguser wrote:

May was a remainer.

WAS...

now she is a ukipper

Irish grasp of UK politics is always amusing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:21 pm 

Everyone has turned autistic all of a sudden. Very odd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 pm 

Theresa May is more Blair in a skirt than a UKIP surrogate

Agree that the Irish grasp of UK politics is pretty crap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:30 pm 

In all seriousness they'll go full Britain first for a bit and then finally collapse when the money runs out without their cushy MEP salaries and Arron Banks who is busy setting up his own 'political party'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:31 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

I strongly suspect if Nigel had wanted to expand the cult of Farage UKIP would have grown. Fotunately he decided it was to to cash make some money.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

Tbh it's a damn sight better than the reactionary antipodean twats that infest UK political threads.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:36 pm 

c69 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

Tbh it's a damn sight better than the reactionary antipodean twats that infest UK political threads.

People like Trance have an odd obsession with defending May no matter what she does but I don't think I've ever read him post anything as monumentally stupid as "Theresa May is the first UKIP Prime Minister"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:32 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

I genuinely have no idea. A year on from Brexit and they still appear to not have lost much popularity, even though they should be irrelevant.

It might be a bit different when brexit occurs, but like the SNP they have used a national referendum to attract Labour voters and appear to be keeping them even when their one issue party has passed the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:36 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
c69 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

People like Trance have an odd obsession with defending May no matter what she does but I don't think I've ever read him post anything as monumentally stupid as "Theresa May is the first UKIP Prime Minister"

MIB and SOTN are special as well

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

I genuinely have no idea. A year on from Brexit and they still appear to not have lost much popularity, even though they should be irrelevant.

It might be a bit different when brexit occurs, but like the SNP they have used a national referendum to attract Labour voters and appear to be keeping them even when their one issue party has passed the issue.

As I said on another topic, despite UKIP's toxic image for a lot of the electorate, a lot of their supposed domestic policy is actually quite popular with the electorate if it wasn't for the UKIP brand attached to it

A surprising and growing number of people are quite socially conservative eg support things like the death penalty and cutting immigration, and a growing number of people are quite fiscally conservative too eg wanting to cut benefits, privatise more of the NHS etc - all this is very much UKIP territory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:05 am 

Petros wrote:
Paul nutter sounded dreadful on TV today

That scouse accent? :) Actually, I felt he made some sense about keeping the pressure on the Government so as not to unnecessarily barter away freedoms to the EU citing May's record as Home Secretary. He's not a good face for the UKIP brand though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 am 

openclashXX wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

As I said on another topic, despite UKIP's toxic image for a lot of the electorate, a lot of their supposed domestic policy is actually quite popular with the electorate if it wasn't for the UKIP brand attached to it

A surprising and growing number of people are quite socially conservative eg support things like the death penalty and cutting immigration, and a growing number of people are quite fiscally conservative too eg wanting to cut benefits, privatise more of the NHS etc - all this is very much UKIP territory

I also don't think the voters they are attracting in the north are attracted to those policies. One reaosn UKIP didn't claim Stoke (besides an idiot as leader) was the NHS, which neither Conservative or Labour voters actually want to be privatised. The death penalty is a niche thing and I wouldn't say Immigration is a domestic policy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 am 

UK politics really is at a low point presently.
What a useless bunch of non entities.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

I also don't think the voters they are attracting in the north are attracted to those policies. One reaosn UKIP didn't claim Stoke (besides an idiot as leader) was the NHS, which neither Conservative or Labour voters actually want to be privatised. The death penalty is a niche thing and I wouldn't say Immigration is a domestic policy.

I meant reducing immigration in the context of "preserving British culture and our way of life", preventing it from being diluted by "pesky immigrants" etc.

I don't know whether the Stoke example is good, IMO UKIP have a real problem communicating their message on any topic other than the EU, this has gotten worse since Farage left. I posted on the other thread a bunch of YouGov research that basically highlighted how very socially and fiscally conservative policies are actually quite popular with large swathes of the electorate - unless I'm very much mistaken that was what UKIP claimed to run on in their 2015 manifesto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:41 am 

openclashXX wrote:
c69 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

I think she's a great leader and doing a good job however I won't support all the decisions. For example I don't like the fact that they are no longer going to increase the NIC for self employed who are on high income.

I agree that it's utterly ridiculous to suggest May is a UKIPper.

Oh and c69 rarely offers anything useful other than snide remarks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 am 

TranceNRG wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
c69 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

I think she's a great leader and doing a good job however I won't support all the decisions. For example I don't like the fact that they are no longer going to increase the NIC for self employed who are on high income.

C69 is that classic left wing warrior who always states that any government or politician is doing a crap job, isn't left wing enough but is always positioned behind a left leaning politics he knows won't ever be in power. And even when they get involved, like Corbyn, the problem is that they are incompetent. He positions himself he can almost never accept a realistic political position. I suspect I'm seeing some righties go this way, no version of Brexit that interacts with the outside world will be good enough and if the UK cut off all ties to the world it would be the domestic policies are still to left leaning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:42 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
c69 wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

C69 is that classic left wing warrior who always states that any government or politician is doing a crap job, isn't left wing enough but is always positioned behind a left leaning politics he knows won't ever be in power. And even when they get involved, like Corbyn, the problem is that they are incompetent. He positions himself he can almost never accept a realistic political position. I suspect I'm seeing some righties go this way, no version of Brexit that interacts with the outside world will be good enough and if the UK cut off all ties to the world it would be the domestic policies are still to left leaning.

Can't disagree with any of that.