Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 548, 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554 ... 559  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4212
BlackMac wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/05/31/news-scottish-rugby-plans-new-playing-venue-bt-murrayfield-edinburgh-rugby

7,800 seater on the back pitches.


:thumbup:

It’s taken a while but we’ve finally got to the place that many on this thread have argued in favour of for many years.



I presume that "flexible infrastructure" is wank speak for temporary stands.

The visuals have the stands looking decidedly temporary. Still, Edinburgh need a home...and the home reveals itself. Bit of a bedsit vibe, but a home nonetheless. :thumbup:
I'd be interested to see the plans when they come up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7349
Steamin Beamin wrote:
@EdinburghRugby

Stay tuned to our channels for some major announcements which will be shared throughout the day 👀

#ALWAYSEDINBURGH

So what do we reckon it's going to be? Permanent home revealed? Re-branding/ new name? New sponsors? All of those?


Pretty much! :thumbup:

This is great for Edinburgh close to the transport links and lots of parking PLUS a stadium that fits, can see the attendances rising reasonably dramatically.

New logo looks crap, didn't like old strip so OK with that.

I really hope the SRU can find a way to utilise both stadiums and boost rugby/sport in general/finances.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15968
Hope they didnt pay for that rebrand and just got some kid in on a placement to do it.

Glad they've dropped the gunners pish though, that's all SH wank, hope the weegies see the light too.

Other than that, a home :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
I really didn’t like the old logo. This one has a simplicity I do quite like.

I also quite liked the red and black, but have no problem with doing something different.

Personally I think nowadays a nickname for your club is a good thing. All the Welsh sides have them, as do a lot of AP sides, so I’d have been in favour of a new one. Clearly I am in a minority on that though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Doc Rob wrote:
I really didn’t like the old logo. This one has a simplicity I do quite like.

I also quite liked the red and black, but have no problem with doing something different.

Personally I think nowadays a nickname for your club is a good thing. All the Welsh sides have them, as do a lot of AP sides, so I’d have been in favour of a new one. Clearly I am in a minority on that though.


I understand the logic of attacking the American market the AP are going for. And as all the franchises over there have animal names or warrior names I see the logic.

But as football has shown - US fans are mainly interested in success when picking a UK football team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
One other point of slight concern - if Embra adopt a dark blue-based colour scheme, surely that will make the shirts even more similar to Glasgow’s?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6150
London 7s.

Scotland (ranked 10) are in the same group as no 1, 3 and 7. Meanwhile in group B there is no 4, 13, 14 and the unranked Irish.

Can't see it being three in a row.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: London
I've just joined the 7s programme is a waste of money wagon.

Cuthbert tripping himself up. Farndale continuing to run into contact and touch. Losing half the line-outs we put in. Losing more kick-off receipts than wins.

There is just zero progression in any of the players we have had in the 7s game since what, Lee Jones?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: London
Lost the Bowl quarter final in extra time to mighty Russia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6150
I really do not understand this. Troll has pointed out some of the issues, trouble is they are just some of the issues.

There are a few players in that squad with genuine pace. As a former winger I get the mantra of 'do not run into touch and do not get isolated'. Yet time and again you see pact Scottish players not taking on the opposition when there is at least a 50 - 50. In the Russia match there were at least two opportunities where there was plenty of space on the outside, with a Scotland player close enough to support to stop the ball being lost if the break did not work. Instead of going for it in the knowledge that they might make the break, or if they don't they may get an offload or worst case the supporting player can form a ruck, a Scotland player slows and lets the defence re-form and more support to come up. Yes it reduces risk to virtually nothing, but it also reduces chances.

And please do not get me started on players running diagonally to reduce the space for the outside payer then passing when the defence has had an age to drift across.

I get that there are a lot of inexperienced players in the squad. But basics are done poorly, players seem so focussed on safety first they are not taking any risks, and do not seem to be looking for supporting runners, and confidence looks like it is shot. Sadly, it looks like a coaching issue as they seem if anything to have got worse as the year progresses.

And why does Millar not play more? He is a good sevens player, but he is also one of the few with real bulk to take it up the middle and allow tactics to be varied from 'throw the ball about aimlessly'. If we are going to do Sevens, do it properly. Right now Scotland seem to use it to soak up players not good enough for a 15s pro contract.

Yes I am annoyed and depressed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
The sevens is in a weird year without Wright and Robertson who were legitimate stars and then Fife and Johnstone who were very good with them now Edinburgh full time. Was always going to be a rebuilding job.

I don't think it's a great development tool as it's a separate sport really but with so few pathways it's probably worth keeping.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6343
I like haggis wrote:
The sevens is in a weird year without Wright and Robertson who were legitimate stars and then Fife and Johnstone who were very good with them now Edinburgh full time. Was always going to be a rebuilding job.

I don't think it's a great development tool as it's a separate sport really but with so few pathways it's probably worth keeping.


Has helped Johnstone come through, rejuvenated Fife after a crisis of confidence. Lee Jones as well made massive strides after going to sevens.
You would hope for more but it does have its benefits.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
frillage wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
The sevens is in a weird year without Wright and Robertson who were legitimate stars and then Fife and Johnstone who were very good with them now Edinburgh full time. Was always going to be a rebuilding job.

I don't think it's a great development tool as it's a separate sport really but with so few pathways it's probably worth keeping.


Has helped Johnstone come through, rejuvenated Fife after a crisis of confidence. Lee Jones as well made massive strides after going to sevens.
You would hope for more but it does have its benefits.


Well also George Horne's career ignited on the 7s, Blair Kinghorn went on a few series when his Edinburgh career was going a bit pear shaped at the end of last season too. I'd want to see flair players given a few series to have some fun when they've gone off the boil. Like Hoyland and dare I say Seymour this year.

The problem is as Edinburgh01 identifies the gameplan isn't very good. But is Dalziel that man? He's not a 7s man - he's just continuing his coaching education so there will be mistakes. Especially on his first season.

I think the biggest problem is this year they've lost a core of 5 key players (Wright, Blake, Robertson, Fife and Johnstone) and McCrae who's clearly a very good coach. So was always going to be a tough year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Under 20s beaten quite comfortably by Argentina. A lot of endeavour from the Scots but lacking quality and seriously outmuscled. The mauls and scrums were a disaster.

With England coming up we've a big battle to win a pool game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8503
Location: FTFT
Everything I've seen of Scottish rugby today has been soft as shite or completely disinterested.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9433
OptimisticJock wrote:
Everything I've seen of Scottish rugby today has been soft as shite or completely disinterested.


I can accept the U20s being a bit up and down, especially given our relatively meagre resources. At least it’s come after a couple of really strong years.

The sevens on the other hand seems to be just directionless. Appreciate that it’s a transitional year but we seem weaker at the end of the season than we were at the beginning. We just don’t seem to have a clear strategy for the team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
zt1903 wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Everything I've seen of Scottish rugby today has been soft as shite or completely disinterested.


I can accept the U20s being a bit up and down, especially given our relatively meagre resources. At least it’s come after a couple of really strong years.

The sevens on the other hand seems to be just directionless. Appreciate that it’s a transitional year but we seem weaker at the end of the season than we were at the beginning. We just don’t seem to have a clear strategy for the team.


The Under20s have a really young pack and at least a few of the backs are in their first year so should be good next year. We just have to avoid relegation...

I also cannot understand why the SA Under20s LH couldn't start for Scotland and has now gone when we get munched every scrum. He should've been bought a nice flat on Byers road and given a contract when his plane landed!

The sevens there is a strategy, it just hasn't worked out this year. Dalziell is clearly one of the up and coming Scottish coaches I just don't see him as a sevens coach. But where else can the SRU put him? He's dominated the club game with Melrose, he's done better than anyone with the Under20s. I'd want to see him as forwards coach at Glasgow - he made the Under20s pack as good as I've ever seen it with only 2 of his pack playing regular pro rugby.

But guys like Bobby Beattie and Harvey Elms have been up there in the club game but not made it professionally so they're checking if they're up to it. Too old for the academy but not so old the SRU have given up on them being a player. That does make sense to an extent.

Realistically you need 6-8 experienced core sevens players and then 4 young academy flyers. Problem is it's hard to find those 6-8 core players which is what we're seeing here. I don't understand why Cuthbert is there mind.


Last edited by I like haggis on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Posts: 242
Big change this year in the sevens is McRae leaving. Noticeable that he's at Edinburgh a defence coach - organisation and coherence was what he brought to the sevens, along with a consciousness that a turnover could happen at any time and you needed to be able to capitalise on it. That's about about hunger and awareness. A number of players have been well served by the sevens recently - Jones, Fife, Kinghorn, Horne, Bradbury, Millar, Smith, Johnstone.

In terms of coaching I think it's a great arena to learn how one area of the game doesn't stand on its own. Even in sevens you can't ignore scrum and line out, but more importantly the influence of turnovers, and the ability to switch between defence and attack, is so important, that as a coach you can't just say you're a specialist and will learn the other stuff later. You have to understand it all. Great kind of hard introduction to the top level for a coach imo, particularly one stepping up from our domestic league.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Posts: 242
Also, I think Haggis is right about needing around half of your team as experienced, dedicated sevens players, but we've been buggered on that by injuries this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: London
I don't buy the talk of transition season, injuries, lack of experienced 'sevens players', etc... over the course of a season where our all our immediate rivals are in the same boat.

For christ sakes this talk is still being peddled on the day a non-core Irish team playing in their first world series comp in what, 14 years?, got the fuc.king bronze medal.

The bronze medal. Whilst our dedicated programme finished 3rd from bottom.

No experience. No post-transition. No unavailable senior team members. Just a competently coached team with a game plan and players selected that are actually suitable for Sevens. No fu.cking O' Cuthbert.

We have been consistently outperformed by countries with significantly fewer national rugby resources, and even smaller dedicated Sevens programmes. The US, Kenya, Argies, Canada, and of bloody late even Russia it appears. Oz barely even have a core team and have long been dependant on fringe professional players and university students to take a lot of strain.

At the start of the season I was guarded as there was quite a lot of good talk around Dalziel as being a good pick for the 7s. A year later and the fundamentals of set piece have significantly regressed, despite being at such a considerable low to begin with. No evident gains elsewhere in play or wins.

If it is to persist it needs to stop being a jobs for boys venture of players too shite to get contracts elsewhere a la Cuthbert. Get an experienced foreign 7s coach, someone that at least can set them up correctly for kick-offs and line-outs ffs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Most of the teams you mention have core players and a mix of youngsters or use sevens as a separate sport entirely.

The problem with Scottish 7s is it's a no man's land. It's kind of a development tool and kind of an after thought.

Jobs for the boys is becoming the most boring cliche in Scottish rugby. If we don't pick the guys not good enough for the pro teams who do we pick? The guys good enough for the pro teams? As if that's going to happen. What you're proposing is a good enough core squad - like they are trying to build...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: London
I like haggis wrote:
Most of the teams you mention have core players and a mix of youngsters or use sevens as a separate sport entirely.

The problem with Scottish 7s is it's a no man's land. It's kind of a development tool and kind of an after thought.

Jobs for the boys is becoming the most boring cliche in Scottish rugby. If we don't pick the guys not good enough for the pro teams who do we pick? The guys good enough for the pro teams? As if that's going to happen. What you're proposing is a good enough core squad - like they are trying to build...


Not sure what you mean by the first para, that's exactly why I reference them - they have their teams and programmes and do better than us. They do better despite having a much, much smaller resource base to work with - and bar Kenya they all similarly to us have their best players in and taken to 15s. I don't believe it is apples and oranges.

Don't select the required 15s players - above unions don't/can't. Why is our standard drop-off so relatively high? Why are we trying to build a core team with players that are clearly ill suited for 7s, trying to use it as a coaching development tool and at the same time shoe horne in young players not yet getting game time with the pro teams? As you say, no man's land. Do it properly or not at all, as we're getting no joy out of it at the moment.

I don't think they are capable of striking a balance in the programme to make it worthwhile, so now say bin it. Use it as the Argies do now - service pro team squad by giving game time to unused players. If someone is good and opts to stick, let them. Not the other way around as we are doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am
Posts: 635
Edinburgh sign Nayolo. Can't say I know much about him.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... -edinburgh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11753
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Edinburgh sign Nayolo. Can't say I know much about him.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... -edinburgh


Bit of a surprising one. Never really looked too impressive in the Championship for LI, then spent pretty much the whole of this season injured. Didn't expect him to get such a high profile gig after being released. He's pretty quick and good on the rush defence. Never really got over the gainline too much in the tight carries.

Seems a lovely bloke though and I'm sure Cockers knows his forwards better than I do. Hope he does well.


Last edited by Margin_Walker on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6150
I have put the following on the Edinburgh site, but decided to keep away from the Glasgow one pro tem. Would someone else like to post this there?

Ta.

Quote:
Rosslyn Park is a not for profit community rugby club who make their facilities available to local schools and charities with over a thousand kids a week using them. To cope with the load, they took on debt funded by the installation of digital advertising boards (which fully meet planning regulations) to install an artificial pitch and other facilities.

A body opposed to the use of digital advertising are opposing the renewal of the advertising licence. This will cause the club to go out of business thus putting at risk recreation facilities for the community. The boards are switched off at night and do not face housing. Here is a link if anyone would like to check the impact of the boards https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.46511 ... 312!8i6656

http://rosslynpark.co.uk/supportrosslynpark/
#SupportRosslynPark


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6343
Edinburgh01 wrote:
I have put the following on the Edinburgh site, but decided to keep away from the Glasgow one pro tem. Would someone else like to post this there?

Ta.

Quote:
Rosslyn Park is a not for profit community rugby club who make their facilities available to local schools and charities with over a thousand kids a week using them. To cope with the load, they took on debt funded by the installation of digital advertising boards (which fully meet planning regulations) to install an artificial pitch and other facilities.

A body opposed to the use of digital advertising are opposing the renewal of the advertising licence. This will cause the club to go out of business thus putting at risk recreation facilities for the community. The boards are switched off at night and do not face housing. Here is a link if anyone would like to check the impact of the boards https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.46511 ... 312!8i6656

http://rosslynpark.co.uk/supportrosslynpark/
#SupportRosslynPark


Considering some of the discussions I am having on the petition thread I might avoid throwing that hand grenade in!

There is two sides to every story though, suprised not to at least see some photos of the sign in the article. They should focus more on how it is all above board and follows regulations rather than trying to say one lady is single handedly is going to bring down the club.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: London
Always two sides yes, but the signs are incredibly unintrusive really imo.

The ground and signs are between two traffic lights separated by about 250 metres. The only thing between them is the club one side, complete tree foilage on the other (shielding a short path from the nearby trainstation to a road), and two bus stops.

The only issue anyone can have with it are either ulterior motives or they've got a sad life with nothing else to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6343
Troll wrote:
Always two sides yes, but the signs are incredibly unintrusive really imo.

The ground and signs are between two traffic lights separated by about 250 metres. The only thing between them is the club one side, complete tree foilage on the other (shielding a short path from the nearby trainstation to a road), and two bus stops.

The only issue anyone can have with it are either ulterior motives or they've got a sad life with nothing else to do.


Not seen it so why didn’t comment.
I am surprised marketing departments at what must be at more than one or two companies can be so swayed by one old crazy!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: London
He who shouts loudest gets heard first etc... Almost always the gnashers with the least to lose or gain who kick off against community projects, seemingly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:42 pm
Posts: 449
Team for Canada

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh),
2. Fraser Brown (Glasgow - vice-captain),
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh),
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh),
5. Grant Gilchrist ((Edinburgh - captain)
6 Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh
7., James Ritchie (Edinburgh),
8. David Denton (Worcester)
9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Scarlets);
10. Ruaridh Jackson ((Glasgow - vice-captain)
11. Bryon McGuigan (Sale)
12. James Lang (Harlequins)
13. Chris Harris (Newcastle)
14. Lee Jones (Glasgow)
15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)

Replacements: George Turner (Glasgow), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow), Murray McCallum (Edinburgh), Lewis Carmichael (Edinburgh), Luke Hamilton (Leicester), Ali Price (Glasgow), Adam Hastings (Glasgow), Mark Bennett (Edinburgh).

Backrow looks tasty,

Centres... :? They should have enough ball to do something to justify their inclusion against a much diminished Canada side
Would have preferred if Chris Dean/Jamie Johnstone had toured instead but Harris really will have no excuse if he stinks up the shirt like he did against Wales.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
If the team plays as badly as they did Vs Wales we have much bigger problems than Chris Harris.

The forwards got battered, Ali Price was abysmal, Finn Russell had one of this worst games and Huw Jones was all over the shop. Will never understand why Harris got so much blame. Prime BoD couldn't have performaned at 13 with that clustereduck


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: London
Should hopefully do fine against Canada.

Need to put in a good shift against the US to prepare for the Argies though.

Be good to see Hastings and Kinghorn with a bit of time on the pitch together, though I suspect the latter will make way for Jackson if we're not a good few scores clear.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
World Class Phil wrote:
Team for Canada

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh),
2. Fraser Brown (Glasgow - vice-captain),
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh),
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh),
5. Grant Gilchrist ((Edinburgh - captain)
6 Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh
7., James Ritchie (Edinburgh),
8. David Denton (Worcester)
9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Scarlets);
10. Ruaridh Jackson ((Glasgow - vice-captain)
11. Bryon McGuigan (Sale)
12. James Lang (Harlequins)
13. Chris Harris (Newcastle)
14. Lee Jones (Glasgow)
15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)

Replacements: George Turner (Glasgow), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow), Murray McCallum (Edinburgh), Lewis Carmichael (Edinburgh), Luke Hamilton (Leicester), Ali Price (Glasgow), Adam Hastings (Glasgow), Mark Bennett (Edinburgh).

Backrow looks tasty,

Centres... :? They should have enough ball to do something to justify their inclusion against a much diminished Canada side
Would have preferred if Chris Dean/Jamie Johnstone had toured instead but Harris really will have no excuse if he stinks up the shirt like he did against Wales.


Struggling to understand why we are starting with Jackson at 10. If the intention is to ease Hastings in, you’d expect us to start with Pete Horne. When did Jackson last start a game at 10? I’m guessing it was before he signed for Glasgow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm
Posts: 1217
Jackson is there to give a bit of leadership to a backline that has about little experience and a 12 on debut against the weakest of our 3 opponents. Horne will probably play the next two

Hastings will like start against USA.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Jackson is at least a 10 and brings some experience, if you played Hastings at 10 in that backline and something starts to go wrong you have nobody to grab them by the collar and calm it down.

I'd start Hastings with Price or Horne inside and then Horne or Taylor outside him.

Would've liked to see Hogg and Kinghorn play together as much as possible so Kinghorn gets used to the wing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:42 pm
Posts: 449
Would have liked Hastings to start and Jackson on the bench to steady the ship if necessary. Hopefully he does get at least 20 minutes or more if the game is secured by the hour mark.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4212
Am I going to stay up until 4am to watch all this? Am I? :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1363
Must be the fewest starters from Glasgow in a Scotland XV in a long time. Amazing if you think about the wealth of centres we currently have that Lang and Harris are starting a fully capped Scotland match together.

should be a good win against Canada. USA is much more of a banana skin, and then the Argies in their Jaguares club guise have been performing pretty well in Super Rugby so that should be a proper full-on match.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 1363
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Am I going to stay up until 4am to watch all this? Am I? :(


No. An iPlayer breakfast in bed it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 am
Posts: 2358
Doc Rob wrote:
World Class Phil wrote:
Team for Canada

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh),
2. Fraser Brown (Glasgow - vice-captain),
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh),
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh),
5. Grant Gilchrist ((Edinburgh - captain)
6 Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh
7., James Ritchie (Edinburgh),
8. David Denton (Worcester)
9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Scarlets);
10. Ruaridh Jackson ((Glasgow - vice-captain)
11. Bryon McGuigan (Sale)
12. James Lang (Harlequins)
13. Chris Harris (Newcastle)
14. Lee Jones (Glasgow)
15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)

Replacements: George Turner (Glasgow), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow), Murray McCallum (Edinburgh), Lewis Carmichael (Edinburgh), Luke Hamilton (Leicester), Ali Price (Glasgow), Adam Hastings (Glasgow), Mark Bennett (Edinburgh).

Backrow looks tasty,

Centres... :? They should have enough ball to do something to justify their inclusion against a much diminished Canada side
Would have preferred if Chris Dean/Jamie Johnstone had toured instead but Harris really will have no excuse if he stinks up the shirt like he did against Wales.


Struggling to understand why we are starting with Jackson at 10. If the intention is to ease Hastings in, you’d expect us to start with Pete Horne. When did Jackson last start a game at 10? I’m guessing it was before he signed for Glasgow.

12th March 2017 - Harlequins away to Exeter.

He did get 18 minutes at stand off for Glasgow when he replaced Hastings against the Kings in October though. That should be plenty of prep for a Test match...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 548, 549, 550, 551, 552, 553, 554 ... 559  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: booji boy, Farva, _fatprop, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, JB1981, Jeff the Bear, Spyglass, Taranaki Snapper, Ted., UncleFB, usermame, WoodlandsRFC, Working Class Rugger and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group