Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478 ... 512  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:21 pm 

Remove that smiley before the mockers gods see it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:11 pm 

Wow! That's some result for the U20s. IIRC the Aussies steamrollered us in the group stages last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:32 pm 

Thought the U20s beat Aus last year? Or was that the year before?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:34 pm 

David990 wrote:
Thought the U20s beat Aus last year? Or was that the year before?

Won 1 lost 1 to the Aussies last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:13 pm 

I didn't know that 5th place was the highest finish for the Scottish U20. That's great news good going Scottish rugby. As a favour can you not beat Wales too badly in next years 6n? Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:24 pm 

bessantj wrote:
I didn't know that 5th place was the highest finish for the Scottish U20. That's great news good going Scottish rugby. As a favour can you not beat Wales too badly in next years 6n? Cheers :thumbup:

It's in Cardiff. Fate will conspire against us down there, as it always does.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:34 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
malky wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
spanks wrote:
What a cracking result yesterday, properly excited to see how Townsend shapes this team over the coming 2/3 seasons.

Barclay was outstanding, Russell & Price are developing into a formidable partnership, Taylor is a great rugby player, Gray was back at his industrious best, Tonks looks like a solid option , our set-piece was very good and the defence totally shut Australia down. Only negative was our discipline but then again, it did stop them gain momentum.

Dell, not convinced he's our LH going forward but hope he does well if given a chance.

Gatland is a fool for not selecting Brown & Gray if they're available to him.

The Welsh hooker and lock Gatland selected over those two is simply outrageous but it does give us a better chance vs Fiji which I am more excited about anyway. Happy for Russell and Dell but it does weaken us looking for 3 from 3.

Dell's only 25 and a very good rugby player - if he improves his scrummaging I think he will be first choice for a while to come.

Duncan Taylor is just an exceptional player, the best centre in the NH imo and as deserving of a Lions call up as any Scot - would've gone but for injuries imo. Price, Russell, Taylor, Seymour and Hogg must start when available - the rest is great competition.

I was sceptical of Toonie at national level but he's making me look a fool just like he did when he took over at Glasgow.

Would you find time later on to predict that we'll get nowhere in Japan in 2019 please - I am planning a big retirement trip!

We're going out in the group stages .

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:37 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Wow! That's some result for the U20s. IIRC the Aussies steamrollered us in the group stages last year.

Scotland beat Aus in the group stages, then lost fairly heavily in the knock outs. Then lost even more heavily to Wales. Last year's U20s were thought to have a few good prospects in it, this years seems even better. Still a bit of a worry how hard they seem to work to let the opposition back into games (not seen the last game).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:05 pm 

Gents - just had a massive afternoon BBQ - as we know it is rare that we get these temperatures so that is my excuse for being pished.
I have then set off on a fairly substantial rant on the Chiefs - Lions thread about T Seymour.
I have even had a basic and brief, but so far civil, exchange with Earl the Badger.
My question for you is ....am I talking pish or has TS been terrible and should be no more than a dirt trackers bencher?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:17 am 

Time since last test victory over Wallabies in Australia.
- Wales 47 years
- Ireland 37 years
- France 27 years
- Scotland 48 hours :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:01 am 

zt1903 wrote:
Time since last test victory over Wallabies in Australia.
- Wales 47 years
- Ireland 37 years
- France 27 years
- Scotland 48 hours :nod:

Last time we lost to Australia in Australia was 13 years ago today :o :D

So a bit of an anniversary as well

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 am 

malky wrote:
Gents - just had a massive afternoon BBQ - as we know it is rare that we get these temperatures so that is my excuse for being pished.
I have then set off on a fairly substantial rant on the Chiefs - Lions thread about T Seymour.
I have even had a basic and brief, but so far civil, exchange with Earl the Badger.
My question for you is ....am I talking pish or has TS been terrible and should be no more than a dirt trackers bencher?

It's hard to say. Back 3 didn't get too much to play with in the games he's played in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:57 am 

Superb wins at the weekend for both squads, it's really happening.

For the big boys, thought Barclay and Watson were superb in the back row, Wilson gave away far too many penalties. On this point Genia was quite complimentary about how well we slowed the ball down which I guess is one of our strengths, but we have to keep the penalty count down, we are good enough now to stop some of that.

Second rows had great games, although I see Stephen Jones think Jonny is only rated in Scotland. The twat.

Finn had one of his glorious games, he is just mesmeric when playing like that. Thought Price came of age in the game as well.

Duncan Taylor - what a player, just superb. The thought of him and Huw Jones in the centers is wonderful.

We definitely missed our normal back 3, but I guess they did OK. You don't beat Oz without defending well on the outside so fair play.

That really feels like confirmation that we are a top side, really feel that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 am 

Scotsman reporting that Finn Russell has signed a contract with Montpellier for the 2018-19 season onwards.

Good on the lad. Back to Vern :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
Scotsman reporting that Finn Russell has signed a contract with Montpellier for the 2018-19 season onwards.

Good on the lad. Back to Vern :thumbup:

Just saw that. Has anyone checked that hp's OK?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4479364

Quote:
Finn Russell’s emergence as a world-class stand-off will be recognised with a big-money move to Montpellier in time for season 2018-19, the one after next. According to a well-placed source in France, Russell, who was pivotal in Scotland’s stunning 24-19 win over Australia in Sydney on Saturday, has signed a pre-contract agreement with the French giants.

The move – ending Russell’s six-year spell with Glasgow Warriors – will ­enable the 24-year-old to team up again with the former Scotland coach, Vern Cotter.

Many felt Cotter was ushered out of Murrayfield’s back door at the end of last season with undue haste after a highly successful stint with Scotland. Some will see this as a small act of revenge by the New Zealander, who has not been slow in spending Mohed Altrad’s money at Montpellier. But the Syrian-born businessman who backs the French club can afford it – he is said to be worth in the region of €1.5 billion (£1.3bn).

Cotter is said to be earning €1 million a year, making him the highest-paid rugby coach in the world. Russell’s pay package has not been revealed, but the Scot will earn a multiple of his current salary. His Scotland half-back partner, Greig Laidlaw, will reportedly be on €350,000 a year at Clermont next season.

Frans Steyn will leave Montpellier at the end of next season, so Russell is effectively replacing the South African, but the Scot will have to be at his best to get any meaningful game time since the 28-year-old stand-off Aaron Cruden, with 47 All Blacks caps to his name, joins Montpellier this summer. He was the No 1 stand-off in New Zealand for several years and still would be were it not for the prodigious talent that is Beauden Barrett. Understandably reluctant to play second

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am 

"act of revenge"? That's a shit thing to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 am 

slick wrote:
"act of revenge"? That's a shit thing to say.

Shit and stupid

"Coach signs player he formally coached and rates highly" is one of the oldest stories in professional sport.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:11 am 

Aaron Cruden and Finn Russell? Blimey. Not a bad pair of options.

Good on Finn. Hopefully he's able to play regularly, I suppose the French season is pretty attritional though so VC will rotate accordingly. Also hope the French culture (i.e. shoddy fitness) doesn't affect FR negatively also, he'll be 25 when he goes there we'll need him playing at a top level for the next 2 WC's certainly.

Will be a good way to raise his game potentially though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 am 

oh, and Glasgow will miss him greatly. Shame for them. Need Hastings jnr to come good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 am 

Just seen quite a few people on Twitter saying this story is categorically not true.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:40 am 

slick wrote:
Just seen quite a few people on Twitter saying this story is categorically not true.

People worth listening to?

Morrison is usually reasonably well informed on this stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 am 

zt1903 wrote:
slick wrote:

Nah, its on Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:46 am 

slick wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
slick wrote:

Nah, its on Twitter.

Well actually, folk like Mark Palmer from the ST and a few other journos.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:19 am 

Always said Mark was a good plum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm 

Not a bad weekend then. Don't have Sky, and I've only got round to watching the highlights on Youtube, so hopefully someone will post the whole game so I can watch the last 20 mins.

Not sure about sending Dunbar & Bradbury home unless they're carrying injuries. With FR off to the Lions, and Horne a possibility for 10 against Fiji, would it not be better to keep Dunbar around as centre cover? And has Bradbury can't be that cooked, he's not played on the tour so far iirc.

Toony Tombola...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm 

chart_monkey wrote:
Not a bad weekend then. Don't have Sky, and I've only got round to watching the highlights on Youtube, so hopefully someone will post the whole game so I can watch the last 20 mins.

Not sure about sending Dunbar & Bradbury home unless they're carrying injuries. With FR off to the Lions, and Horne a possibility for 10 against Fiji, would it not be better to keep Dunbar around as centre cover? And has Bradbury can't be that cooked, he's not played on the tour so far iirc.

Toony Tombola...

I would think both would want to stay on tour even if not playing the test so likely is niggles or in agreement with players (perhaps they have reasons to return early)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:36 pm 

chart_monkey wrote:

Toony Tombola...

Midfield covered by Taylor, Scott and Grigg (who hasn't played yet) + Horne though he'll perhaps be in at 10
Back row well covered with those who have played already + Hardie and Harley who haven't

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:39 pm 

frillage wrote:
chart_monkey wrote:

Toony Tombola...

I would think both would want to stay on tour even if not playing the test so likely is niggles or in agreement with players (perhaps they have reasons to return early)

Toony has said it was always the plan to release anyone not going to be involved in the final game early to give them a wee extra break.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:44 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
chart_monkey wrote:

Toony Tombola...

Midfield covered by Taylor, Scott and Grigg (who hasn't played yet) + Horne though he'll perhaps be in at 10
Back row well covered with those who have played already + Hardie and Harley who haven't

Forgot about Grigg. Has he been capped yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:10 pm 

chart_monkey wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
chart_monkey wrote:

Toony Tombola...

Forgot about Grigg. Has he been capped yet?

don't think so.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:22 pm 

He has.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm 

https://twitter.com/GLove39/status/876488284951719938

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm 

hp18 wrote:

Pretty good, which had shopped Cheik's face.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 pm 

frillage wrote:
hp18 wrote:

Pretty good, which had shopped Cheik's face.

Should have shopped the face of the better that wrote that long winded letter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 pm 

A nice day for rumours. Apparently Fraser Brown turned down an invitation to join the Lions. Good man if so, I've always had a soft spot for contrarian bastards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 pm 

hp18 wrote:
He has.

For the 7s.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
hp18 wrote:
He has.

For the 7s.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm 

clydecloggie wrote:
A nice day for rumours. Apparently Fraser Brown turned down an invitation to join the Lions. Good man if so, I've always had a soft spot for contrarian bastards.

Where'd you hear that?

Funny stuff if he did.

Really want to see Grigg get a chance, was Glasgow's best center last season imo.

What about playing Taylor at fly-half, he seems to be able to do everything else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
oh, and Glasgow will miss him greatly. Shame for them. Need Hastings jnr to come good.

Would like Russell at Montpellier if he must go to France as Cotter knows how to play him but you have to worry about him in France from a playing and fitness point of view.

Very important Hastings comes good for Glasgow and Scotland to be competitive.

I heard Jackson was going to Ospreys - why not Edinburgh for depth? Also how highly rated is Eastgate at Wasps? Might he come up?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:31 pm 

spanks wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Where'd you hear that?

Funny stuff if he did.

Really want to see Grigg get a chance, was Glasgow's best center last season imo.

What about playing Taylor at fly-half, he seems to be able to do everything else.

Think Stephen Jones tweeted about a Scot saying no to the Lions, then others chipped in to identify Brown. Now I know SJ is a cnut but he tends to be a well-informed cnut. It's his opinions that make him insufferable, not his factual knowledge.

Anyway, all fun and games and unsubstantiated rumours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477, 478 ... 512  Next