Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529 ... 563  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 am 

When discussing Laidlaws return it might be worth remembering Prices immaturity cost us in France last year with that reversed penalty, after he needlessly got involved in some handbags. He needs to wise up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Is Gray the elder back for this weekend? Personally feel we miss him.

Had it been the elder making the break the younger made, it would have been a try.

Ritchie was the messiah, then went south and lost his way. Then little brother was the messiah. I personally think Ritchie has recovered form and is better than his brother again. Even though Johnny is working on mobility, Ritchie is far more dynamic, but still makes loads of tackles, hit rucks and is a menace in the line out. And is heavy. Combine the best of Toolis and Gilchrist and you get Ritchie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am 

Just to be controversial, how about Laidlaw at 10 to start the game? He's played there for Scotland before, will bring structure and he can help Price at 9 whilst not losing Price's running threat. Plus it gives Russell the kick up the arse he needs after that game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am 

EverReady wrote:
:lol: I brought my young lad to the Munster match in the Autumn and he gave it socks in between gorging himself on sweets. He was genuinely into it to the point he rushed me back from a jacks break when I had planned a little snifter at the bar. I think he believes Myreside is like Lansdowne so that will take a bit of explaining. Especially considering we are going past Murrayfield on the way to the airport when the France match is on. He is going to definitely think I went for some half arsed shite option of a match at that point. Twill be good fun it has to be said.

To quote The Commitments ..."Dat's fockin sacrilege!" Myreside is where God would go for a pint ...if he existed ...and liked crap beer. But, hey ...it's MY stomping ground and you don't come over here with yer spod-monchin' ways and take the piss! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am 

The key here is how we respond to Saturday. I felt Cardiff 2010 ruined a batch of Scottish players mentally, they became convinced that they had no luck and just could not win. If the coaching team and the players learn from this then we can have some hope. If we go into our shell we are lost.

To me the biggest issues were a lack of physicality with the ball and organisation in defence.

When we had the ball our forwards were dominated physically, losing almost every collision. Strauss/Denton/Hamilton and Richie Gray might help but I can't help feeling we lacked Zander Fagerson's ball carrying and the forwards in generally we just not up for it.

In defence there were some big hits, but the we just seemed totally disjointed, with individuals either charging up out of the line leaving gaps to be exposed or letting the Welsh run at them and retreating at a rate of knots. It just seemed very disorganised and to me is the biggest challenge Townsend faces, as it has been a problem for Scotland for a few years now, we are just far too easy to score against, even when we play well and don't give up possession at every lineout or after 3 phases like we did on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:07 pm 

Market Square Hero wrote:
EverReady wrote:
:lol: I brought my young lad to the Munster match in the Autumn and he gave it socks in between gorging himself on sweets. He was genuinely into it to the point he rushed me back from a jacks break when I had planned a little snifter at the bar. I think he believes Myreside is like Lansdowne so that will take a bit of explaining. Especially considering we are going past Murrayfield on the way to the airport when the France match is on. He is going to definitely think I went for some half arsed shite option of a match at that point. Twill be good fun it has to be said.

To quote The Commitments ..."Dat's fockin sacrilege!" Myreside is where God would go for a pint ...if he existed ...and liked crap beer. But, hey ...it's MY stomping ground and you don't come over here with yer spod-monchin' ways and take the piss! ;)

Pfft, that's pillow talk where we come from.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
The key here is how we respond to Saturday.

Indeed ...we need to come out pissed off and snarling, ready to (figuratively) rip heads off. Batter into the French for the first 10 minutes and leave them gasping, then try and play the game. Yes we need calm heads and players who know when to risk it and when to take the percentages, but getting the crowd fired up from the off will be a huge lift and that requires (legal) brutality over brains to start with.

To put in context - I coach at schools level and it is all about performance over outcome and I absolutely buy into that, 100%. But there are times when the team's getting bullied or not showing the heart I know they have and that requires a calm, considered boot up the arse - no shouting or screaming, just letting them know that it's OK to hammer into the opposition, to let them know you're there, to make them think twice about going at you again. Again, the focus isn't on the win, it's about each player doing their own job to the absolute best of their ability and supporting their teammates in their role.

From Saturday, starting props aside (the cause of some worry), I don't think anyone did their job much above 50% of best. That's what they need to fix.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:50 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
When discussing Laidlaws return it might be worth remembering Prices immaturity cost us in France last year with that reversed penalty, after he needlessly got involved in some handbags. He needs to wise up.

I'd forgotten about that. Cheers for bringing it up again...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:32 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:

He needs to wise up in relation to a penalty he conceded a year ago?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Yeah, but you are a bunch of smooth talking bastards! Or so the missus tells me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:22 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

He needs to wise up in relation to a penalty he conceded a year ago?

I was replying to clydecloggie mentioning Price's lack of maturity costing us on Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:29 pm 

Anyone else baffled by our decision to stay in Edinburgh until Friday afternoon and have the captains run at Murrayfield?

Matt Taylor said "Gregor made the change, rather than going down a day or 2 earlier, think that's helped us with an extra day of preparation at home in the environment which we know and are comfortable with".

Surely that's the last fuckin thing you want before playing in an environment like the principality. :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:31 pm 

And keep the f**king roof open...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:46 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Anyone else baffled by our decision to stay in Edinburgh until Friday afternoon and have the captains run at Murrayfield?

Matt Taylor said "Gregor made the change, rather than going down a day or 2 earlier, think that's helped us with an extra day of preparation at home in the environment which we know and are comfortable with".

Surely that's the last fuckin thing you want before playing in an environment like the principality. :?

Even the travelling (relatively short distance but a few hours anyway) the day before can be a pain in the ass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 pm 

Dunbar is expected to be fit for Sunday. Thank fudge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 pm 

Harris and CDP are oot for good now imo.

Neither have shown anything that suggests they are worth sticking with, the rest of the team had a mare but they have shown as recently as Nov that they can step up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:15 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

Neither have shown anything that suggests they are worth sticking with, the rest of the team had a mare but they have shown as recently as Nov that they can step up.

Harris doesn't look like he is up to the intensity of test rugby. But then by that standard, on Saturday neither did the rest of the team x(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

CDP has been one of the most baffling picks ever. Barely even competent at Edinburgh and lazy as fudge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

CDP has been one of the most baffling picks ever. Barely even competent at Edinburgh and lazy as fudge.

Toonie will have taken a kicking to himself as well, he cant feck around with ransom picks in the 6n like this either.

I will be mighty surprised if these two are still in the mix for Sunday, i hope he sticks with Price who even though he had a shocker has the raw talent to execute our game plan. In saying that i would have brought Laidlaw on sooner on Sat as he would have given the team much more structure which was completely shot with them trying all sorts of daft shit.

So my backline

Price
Russell
Maitland
Dunbar (if fit if not Horne)
Jones
Seymour
Hogg

Bennett/Horne on the bench with Laidlaw, Kinghorn

Forwards

Reid
McInally
Welsh
Gray if fit (Toolis if not)
Gray
Barclay
Wilson
Watson

Lawson, Bhatti, McCallum, Toolis/Gilchrist, Hamilton

Go out and make amends you bunch of dicks and get some pride back. Earn the right to go wide, this ain't the diddy Pro14 this is full blooded internationals where you cant hide, stop the dumb shit unless you are miles ahead, territory and hit them on the turnovers, simples.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:04 pm 

I would be tempted to try Denton, Wilson carries willingly but tends to get smashed in the tight exchanges. He's better coming off the bench IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 pm 

Smutley wrote:
I would be tempted to try Denton, Wilson carries willingly but tends to get smashed in the tight exchanges. He's better coming off the bench IMO.

Did think about that but i would go with Strauss ahead of him just because i think Dents has been out of the scene for too long now at this level, if we are taking him back lets do it against someone like Italy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:24 pm 

Smutley wrote:

I'd start Denton. Might have hands like feet but he'll break the line before losing the ball which is better than the current trend of being smashed and losing the ball.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:29 pm 

I've not seen him play for years right enough, but last time out he was doing a lot more good breakdown work. Still tits for hands though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:17 pm 

McGuigan out injured. Saves Toony dropping him. Sadly RG and Duncan Taylor haven't recovered in time though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Did think about that but i would go with Strauss ahead of him just because i think Dents has been out of the scene for too long now at this level, if we are taking him back lets do it against someone like Italy.

I’d be tempted to bring back Dents, but I’d also take Strauss. Or Hamilton. Anyone who brings a hard carrying game.

The problem with Strauss is that he has never once impressed me in a Scotland shirt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:25 pm 

Strauss was excellent Vs Ireland and really amazing what he did Vs France considering.

Two good games and all the others pretty underwhelming

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Yeah, but you are a bunch of smooth talking bastards! Or so the missus tells me.

That we are 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:54 pm 

Mark Palmer‏
@MarkPalmerST
Speaking to a number of Scotland players, they've been impressed by how Alasdair Dickinson has shown up in training. Has only played four times for Edinburgh since injuring himself in Japan in 2016, but 34-year-old could yet have a say with club and country in the coming months.

Does this sound like he's training with the national squad?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:03 pm 

Edinburgh are down to one fit lock for the Leinster game. Bennett is apparently with Scotland as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:08 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Edinburgh are down to one fit lock for the Leinster game. Bennett is apparently with Scotland as well.

Is one of Carmichael or McKenzie crocked as well then?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:13 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Is one of Carmichael or McKenzie crocked as well then?

Must be.......

Though reading it again there may be two fit, but three are needed to cover the bench.

Quote:
......and we’re a little bit short at second-row because Callum Hunter Hill hurt his knee playing for Newcastle, so he’s not going to be available – so we’re a lock short.

“Bill Mata or Magnus Bradbury will step into those boots, which gives us another back-row to come into the squad, so John Hardie will probably get his chance at the weekend.”

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... s-mentally

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am 

From the Hootsman

Quote:
Edinburgh Rugby is looking to build its own home in a new arena next to the BT Murrayfield stadium, The Scotsman can reveal.

The club is exploring the possibility of constructing a “mini-Murrayfield” on the training pitches beside the home of Scottish Rugby. It is understood proposals for a 7,000-seat stadium are at an early stage and no application for planning has yet been made, but with objections it could be up to five years before the idea comes to fruition.

With interest in Scottish Rugby at a 20-year high, some feel the timing is right for Edinburgh and the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) to act and secure a purpose-built base for the team.

The move would be a huge draw to rugby fans in the east of Scotland, who have long hoped Edinburgh could have its own stadium. BT Murrayfield is regarded as one of the finest stadiums in world rugby, but is only at capacity for Scotland international matches.

Edinburgh Rugby – one of two Scottish professional teams along with Glasgow Warriors – is attracting crowds of under 5,000. It is hoped a smaller stadium that would ­regularly sell out for home matches would provide a strong base for the team, which plays in the Guinness PRO14 league.

The club has had several ­temporary homes across Edinburgh, including Meadowbank, Murrayfield and ­currently Myreside.

A source said: “If Edinburgh Rugby grow their crowds even by a modest amount, then everyone knows Myreside will struggle to cope with that. “The SRU could invest in Myreside [home of Watsonians], but what would be the point of investing in someone’s else’s land when there is spare land at Murrayfield and developers looking to get involved.”

The back pitches at Murrayfield have long been viewed as ripe for development, especially as property values in the area are high. But flooding of Murrayfield in 2003 and a subsequent public inquiry, together with the property crash, halted previous redevelopment ideas. The property market has since recovered, the hotel sector is buoyant and a tram stop has been built close to the stadium, significantly improving transport access to the site. Flood prevention work has also been completed at the site.

Proposals have recently been floated for a hotel and flats on the site by developer Murrayfield 2020. A spokesman for Edinburgh Rugby declined to comment at this stage, but indicated more details would be revealed soon.

No figures have been revealed, but it is understood the stadium could cost in excess of £10 million. Issues that need to be ironed out include the future of Murrayfield ice rink and Murrayfield Wanderers, whose clubhouse is on the site. It is also understood Miller Developments has an option on some of the SRU’s land and may need to be consulted before any construction went ahead.

A similar set-up exists in Wales where the 13,000-capacity BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park is immediately adjacent to the Principality Stadium where Wales rugby and football international matches are played.

The move comes shortly after it emerged Murrayfield had been shortlisted alongside Hampden Park as the two potential venues for future Scotland international football games.

Legendary former Scotland and Lions prop and one-time SRU president Ian McLauchlan said: “I quite enjoy going to Myreside, always have, and it is much better than the vastness of Murrayfield. “It is a club ground, though, and would need to be developed. You can’t expect the pitch there to be perfect when it hosts school, club and Edinburgh games.”

Edinburgh have looked at many options for a permanent home over the past 20 years, including club rugby grounds Myreside and Meggetland, athletics stadium Meadowbank, football grounds Easter Road and Tynecastle, as well as plans for a purpose-built stadium to be shared with athletics at Sighthill.

A rugby source told The Scotsman: “The proposed stadium is a great thing for Edinburgh, but it should have been done 22 years ago when rugby turned into a professional sport. “It will give Edinburgh Rugby finally an identity. It will also a better commodity all round for presenting rugby.

“Edinburgh Rugby will become more attractive to fans and to investors when it has its own stadium.” The SRU’s finances are in a far healthier state than they were when the “mini-Murrayfield” idea was first floated in the early days of professional rugby when the game’s ­governing body carried a heavy debt of about £20m. The SRU’s annual turnover broke £50m for the first time last year following increases in ticketing revenue, broadcast rights payments and sponsorship.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:49 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
From the Hootsman

Quote:
Edinburgh Rugby is looking to build its own home in a new arena next to the BT Murrayfield stadium, The Scotsman can reveal.

The club is exploring the possibility of constructing a “mini-Murrayfield” on the training pitches beside the home of Scottish Rugby. It is understood proposals for a 7,000-seat stadium are at an early stage and no application for planning has yet been made, but with objections it could be up to five years before the idea comes to fruition.

With interest in Scottish Rugby at a 20-year high, some feel the timing is right for Edinburgh and the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) to act and secure a purpose-built base for the team.

The move would be a huge draw to rugby fans in the east of Scotland, who have long hoped Edinburgh could have its own stadium. BT Murrayfield is regarded as one of the finest stadiums in world rugby, but is only at capacity for Scotland international matches.

Edinburgh Rugby – one of two Scottish professional teams along with Glasgow Warriors – is attracting crowds of under 5,000. It is hoped a smaller stadium that would ­regularly sell out for home matches would provide a strong base for the team, which plays in the Guinness PRO14 league.

The club has had several ­temporary homes across Edinburgh, including Meadowbank, Murrayfield and ­currently Myreside.

A source said: “If Edinburgh Rugby grow their crowds even by a modest amount, then everyone knows Myreside will struggle to cope with that. “The SRU could invest in Myreside [home of Watsonians], but what would be the point of investing in someone’s else’s land when there is spare land at Murrayfield and developers looking to get involved.”

The back pitches at Murrayfield have long been viewed as ripe for development, especially as property values in the area are high. But flooding of Murrayfield in 2003 and a subsequent public inquiry, together with the property crash, halted previous redevelopment ideas. The property market has since recovered, the hotel sector is buoyant and a tram stop has been built close to the stadium, significantly improving transport access to the site. Flood prevention work has also been completed at the site.

Proposals have recently been floated for a hotel and flats on the site by developer Murrayfield 2020. A spokesman for Edinburgh Rugby declined to comment at this stage, but indicated more details would be revealed soon.

No figures have been revealed, but it is understood the stadium could cost in excess of £10 million. Issues that need to be ironed out include the future of Murrayfield ice rink and Murrayfield Wanderers, whose clubhouse is on the site. It is also understood Miller Developments has an option on some of the SRU’s land and may need to be consulted before any construction went ahead.

A similar set-up exists in Wales where the 13,000-capacity BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park is immediately adjacent to the Principality Stadium where Wales rugby and football international matches are played.

The move comes shortly after it emerged Murrayfield had been shortlisted alongside Hampden Park as the two potential venues for future Scotland international football games.

Legendary former Scotland and Lions prop and one-time SRU president Ian McLauchlan said: “I quite enjoy going to Myreside, always have, and it is much better than the vastness of Murrayfield. “It is a club ground, though, and would need to be developed. You can’t expect the pitch there to be perfect when it hosts school, club and Edinburgh games.”

Edinburgh have looked at many options for a permanent home over the past 20 years, including club rugby grounds Myreside and Meggetland, athletics stadium Meadowbank, football grounds Easter Road and Tynecastle, as well as plans for a purpose-built stadium to be shared with athletics at Sighthill.

A rugby source told The Scotsman: “The proposed stadium is a great thing for Edinburgh, but it should have been done 22 years ago when rugby turned into a professional sport. “It will give Edinburgh Rugby finally an identity. It will also a better commodity all round for presenting rugby.

“Edinburgh Rugby will become more attractive to fans and to investors when it has its own stadium.” The SRU’s finances are in a far healthier state than they were when the “mini-Murrayfield” idea was first floated in the early days of professional rugby when the game’s ­governing body carried a heavy debt of about £20m. The SRU’s annual turnover broke £50m for the first time last year following increases in ticketing revenue, broadcast rights payments and sponsorship.

Just came on to post this story.

If I were them I would be looking to incorporate some form of (chain/franchise) hotel into the development, which is hinted at in the story. The SRU also had a different proposal for a hotel down towards the ticket office perhaps a year ago - they are obviously keen to monitise their land holdings a bit more, which seems a sensible thing to do.

Wanderers were served notice were they not? Do they own the clubhouse or only lease it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm 

Realise te story is just the usual shite doing the rounds but playing devils advocate. It would seem to me that 7,000 is a little low for a new build stadia. Wouldn’t take long to outgrow that capacity. Presumably they’d be thinking of two stands like the 3,513 capacity Main stand at Scotstoun, with the option of putting in temp seating behind the goals?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm 

Rossco wrote:
Realise te story is just the usual shite doing the rounds but playing devils advocate. It would seem to me that 7,000 is a little low for a new build stadia. Wouldn’t take long to outgrow that capacity. Presumably they’d be thinking of two stands like the 3,513 capacity Main stand at Scotstoun, with the option of putting in temp seating behind the goals?

I thought that too. A 7k seater is fine to begin with, but there needs to be room to grow otherwise it's back to square one potentially in coming years. The developer will be driving a hard bargain on this.

Generally though very positive tho and a sensible location for the stadium, especially now the flood defences are in place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 pm 

7k is fine for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Rossco wrote:

I thought that too. A 7k seater is fine to begin with, but there needs to be room to grow otherwise it's back to square one potentially in coming years. The developer will be driving a hard bargain on this.

Generally though very positive tho and a sensible location for the stadium, especially now the flood defences are in place.

Yes, they'll build it with a view to future expansion. I grew up near Livingston and was a relatively regular visitor to Almondvale Stadium for the football through the years. The stadium, from memory, started with the two sides. A few years later the ends were added and a few more two of the corners were filled (one including a large office / corporate hospitality building). I would imagine they would aim for something similar here. Start with the two sides at 3.5k each. If demand requires it, add the ends at c.1-1.5k each bringing capacity to c.10k. If further space is required again, the corners can be completed to bring overall capacity to around 12k.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm 

Now I'm not normally one for unsubstantiated twitter rumours, but this is quite a good one so why not?

https://twitter.com/edinbos/status/961157085860855808

According to this guy, he was at Murrayfield on Saturday and he noticed there was a sign up (i.e. a sign on a door for the purpose of finding the correct room) for an Edinburgh Investor Due Dilligence meeting in the hospitality suite. Perhaps the SRU have had some bites for their investment proposal?

Potentially they have a physical data room or are holding valuation meetings or similar?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 pm 

Alba wrote:
Now I'm not normally one for unsubstantiated twitter rumours, but this is quite a good one so why not?

According to this guy, he was at Murrayfield on Saturday and he noticed there was a sign up (i.e. a sign on a door for the purpose of finding the correct room) for an Edinburgh Investor Due Dilligence meeting in the hospitality suite. Perhaps the SRU have had some bites for their investment proposal?

Potentially they have a physical data room or are holding valuation meetings or similar?

I'd heard a rumour a wee while ago that the Skyscanner guy(s) were being heavily courted. Given the mega bucks they coined in they might be a good catch?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 pm 

dpedin wrote:
Alba wrote:

I'd heard a rumour a wee while ago that the Skyscanner guy(s) were being heavily courted. Given the mega bucks they coined in they might be a good catch?

I heard that rumour too. At the time I thought it was more wishful thinking than anything else - I've never seen anything to add substance to the rumour. Given the number of extremely wealthy people in Edinburgh, I remain hopeful they'll find someone stupid committed enough to gift money to invest in Scottish club rugby.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 523, 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529 ... 563  Next