Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531 ... 559  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Big D wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
Big D wrote:
Townsend has made a rod for his back there. Price has by and large been a positive upgrade on Laidlaw in his time. If Laidlaw is pish on Sunday does he get dropped too?

Except that Laidlaw's strengths are exactly where Price showed unacceptable weakness last week.

Yes, Price is the future but this is a 5-week tournament that is the most important on the calendar bar the World Cup - he messed up, we have a proven guy who's pretty much incapable of messing up in that fashion and was the shirt holder before he got injured, and might provide the balance in the attacking play that was so badly exposed as missing in Cardiff.


He was on the way to losing the shirt to Price before his injury imo. Price was poor last week, but to immediately bin him when he's been good since he became the starter, during which we have a good record, is very harsh imo.


I very much doubt it.

Apart from being the captain and kicker, Laidlaw, despite what all the gainsayers would have you believe, can play a fast game. Laidlaw does not have the running threat Price has, but he does make breaks. He can change his game according to what the coach wants, and what's in front of him in a way Price has shown little sign of being able to do. At his best, Price is probably better at a fast game, but that is all he gives you. If the opposition do not co-operate and let him play fast, he loses massive amounts of effectiveness. Laidlaw on the other hand just changes his style to suit what is in front of him. But Price has not been at his best for a while for Glasgow, so last week was not exactly an aberration.


You are right on the money here. Laidlaw CAN play a fast game - I've seen him do it. Which makes it all the more frustrating to watch him deliver service slower than a week in the jail.

OJ may well be correct - he may have been told to play like that - but if so, I can't imagine why!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Meatball away to Worcester on a short term loan.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... -loan-move


The curse of Scottish rugby at the moment is 'has not developed'. How many players has this been said of in the last decade? Seems like dozens. Jonny Gray is the one currently in the gunsights. It was said of Richie before. It has been said of SHC. Russell needs to pull his metaphorical socks up or it'll be him next, and possibly Price too. Not all young players fully deliver on their early promise, but we don't have enough on the production line for this to happen too often.

Weir must be the worst one, though. He was the answer at 10 before Russell came on the scene. He still could be - his game is quite different, but he could be the ROG to Russell's Sexton. But somewhere along the line it all went wrong for him - he was moved on from Glasgow, and now Embra are farming him out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7347
Doc Rob wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Meatball away to Worcester on a short term loan.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... -loan-move


The curse of Scottish rugby at the moment is 'has not developed'. How many players has this been said of in the last decade? Seems like dozens. Jonny Gray is the one currently in the gunsights. It was said of Richie before. It has been said of SHC. Russell needs to pull his metaphorical socks up or it'll be him next, and possibly Price too. Not all young players fully deliver on their early promise, but we don't have enough on the production line for this to happen too often.

Weir must be the worst one, though. He was the answer at 10 before Russell came on the scene. He still could be - his game is quite different, but he could be the ROG to Russell's Sexton. But somewhere along the line it all went wrong for him - he was moved on from Glasgow, and now Embra are farming him out.


Weir has never been the answer to anything, dreadful player.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
slick wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Meatball away to Worcester on a short term loan.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... -loan-move


The curse of Scottish rugby at the moment is 'has not developed'. How many players has this been said of in the last decade? Seems like dozens. Jonny Gray is the one currently in the gunsights. It was said of Richie before. It has been said of SHC. Russell needs to pull his metaphorical socks up or it'll be him next, and possibly Price too. Not all young players fully deliver on their early promise, but we don't have enough on the production line for this to happen too often.

Weir must be the worst one, though. He was the answer at 10 before Russell came on the scene. He still could be - his game is quite different, but he could be the ROG to Russell's Sexton. But somewhere along the line it all went wrong for him - he was moved on from Glasgow, and now Embra are farming him out.


Weir has never been the answer to anything, dreadful player.


He was hugely talked up when he was on the point of breaking through. But that might well have been because we were desperate to get shot of Parks. I have honestly never disliked a Scotland player as much as him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm
Posts: 1217
I'm going to stop on about Laidlaw for now as I have said my piece. I want him to do well despite me not wanting him starting so will try and stay positive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6150
Just noticed Adam Hastings has been training with the Scotland squad. Now I know almost everyone left standing was there, but I was surprised by that as he's not getting much game time at Glasgow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 am
Posts: 2357
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Just noticed Adam Hastings has been training with the Scotland squad. Now I know almost everyone left standing was there, but I was surprised by that as he's not getting much game time at Glasgow.

Sort of equivalent to Eddie Jones's 'apprentices'. Training with the squad to get experience but not part of it. Luke Crosbie and Darcy Graham were also there in the same position. Off the top of my head Nick Grigg, Scott Cummings, Lewis Carmichael and Matt Fagerson (among others) have had similar opportunities over the past couple of seasons.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:33 am
Posts: 2357
Match preview for Dragons v Glasgow:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-7Wx

Not the least experienced 23 the Warriors have put out this season but, as is normally the case during the 6 Nations, miles off full strength. With away games against Munster, Ulster and Scarlets still to come this is a must win game if they want to maintain their buffer at the top of Conference A.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4212
Edinburgh :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really ground that one out, playing to the death


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Eryri
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Edinburgh :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really ground that one out, playing to the death


Wow! That’s a solid result for Edinburgh, even with both sides depleted. My mum will be pleased (she was there, hopefully)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm
Posts: 1217
Doc Rob wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Edinburgh :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really ground that one out, playing to the death


Wow! That’s a solid result for Edinburgh, even with both sides depleted. My mum will be pleased (she was there, hopefully)


Some good young talent getting some good experience. Great to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8397
Location: Middle of the Lothians
First Edinburgh game in some time and it went a long way to encouraging me to get my season ticket back next year. No where near a finished article but the turnaround in attitude and application is remarkable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27288
I on the other hand will never being going to that shit hole again. Seriously though great spot really and the staff are universally lovely which you could not say about the RDS. Even the grumpy lad with the tache guarding our stairs put up with my sugar rush young fella at him all night. Good luck tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm
Posts: 1217
Good win. Kudos to Berghan who has been average for us but was very good today.

Gilchrist was doing well before being subbed. Horne was quietly effective.

Laidlaw kicked well.

Negatives; Russell was poor, Wilson quiet and once again the defence needs a lot of work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8503
Location: FTFT
Laidlaw deserved MotM, could still be a bit quicker mind. Russell needs dropped.


Not a fan of these trophies for every game but like this one


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15968
Thought Barclay was poor again today and Russell needs dropped his head is up his arse. Not convinced we should play a full 80 with Laidlaw at 10 though so don’t know who we do draft in.

Laidlaw deserved motm, one of his best games for us


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8397
Location: Middle of the Lothians
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Thought Barclay was poor again today and Russell needs dropped his head is up his arse. Not convinced we should play a full 80 with Laidlaw at 10 though so don’t know who we do draft in.

Laidlaw deserved motm, one of his best games for us


Yeah, not impressed with Barclay at all and Russell's display was just astonishingly bad. Very impressed with the front row and Berghan in particular.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15968
BlackMac wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Thought Barclay was poor again today and Russell needs dropped his head is up his arse. Not convinced we should play a full 80 with Laidlaw at 10 though so don’t know who we do draft in.

Laidlaw deserved motm, one of his best games for us


Yeah, not impressed with Barclay at all and Russell's display was just astonishingly bad. Very impressed with the front row and Berghan in particular.


Yeah, he stepped up v well, thought Bhatti did well when he came on too.

All in all an ugly win against a poor French team but I’ll take that every day of the week


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 9785
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Yeah, he stepped up v well, thought Bhatti did well when he came on too.

All in all an ugly win against a poor French team but I’ll take that every day of the week

A close win but tbf not much Scotland do is ugly these days, in terms of the rugby they play they're probably the most attractive side in the competition which makes a huge change from the noughties.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8503
Location: FTFT
Lorthern Nights wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Thought Barclay was poor again today and Russell needs dropped his head is up his arse. Not convinced we should play a full 80 with Laidlaw at 10 though so don’t know who we do draft in.

Laidlaw deserved motm, one of his best games for us


Yeah, not impressed with Barclay at all and Russell's display was just astonishingly bad. Very impressed with the front row and Berghan in particular.


Yeah, he stepped up v well, thought Bhatti did well when he came on too.

All in all an ugly win against a poor French team but I’ll take that every day of the week

Need to hold my hands up on Berghan. Wilson Watson Denton backrow. If Dunbar fit Laidlaw at 10 Horne on bench. Disappointed for Kinghorn but good to see there wasn't subs for subs sake.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 pm
Posts: 4048
Location: London
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Thought Barclay was poor again today and Russell needs dropped his head is up his arse. Not convinced we should play a full 80 with Laidlaw at 10 though so don’t know who we do draft in.

Laidlaw deserved motm, one of his best games for us


Watson aside back-row were invisible. A mountain of work done by Gilchrist and the front-row - Jonny was there but so often seemed ineffective.

Price much better in his cameo this week, but Laidlaw to start and perhaps roll the dice at 10. I think Laidlaw/Horne is perhaps the best we can manage - any combo we choose without Finn will see Hogg at receiver a bit. Would be great if Hastings/Kinghorn had had some grand games at 10 this season.

With that we avoid the Horne playing crashball 12 that he did today - we would've been stripped every play against non-French/Italian teams. He did it well but by god how have we regressed so quick to revert to that?

Knee-jerk wouldn't mind seeing something like

Bhatti McInally Stampy Gray (with a word) Gilchrist Barclay (with a word) Watson Denton (No pick and goes) Laidlaw Horne Maitland Dunbar Jones Seymour Hogg.

Not a great team team tbh :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
We only stand a chance Vs England if Russell and Hogg are at the very top of their game.

England are so good we try and do anything but the all court rugby we've tried and we'll get beaten. Need to score a few outrageous tries and get them on the back foot.

Otherwise their pack and Farrell's boot will kill us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8397
Location: Middle of the Lothians
Troll wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Thought Barclay was poor again today and Russell needs dropped his head is up his arse. Not convinced we should play a full 80 with Laidlaw at 10 though so don’t know who we do draft in.

Laidlaw deserved motm, one of his best games for us


Watson aside back-row were invisible. A mountain of work done by Gilchrist and the front-row - Jonny was there but so often seemed ineffective.

Price much better in his cameo this week, but Laidlaw to start and perhaps roll the dice at 10. I think Laidlaw/Horne is perhaps the best we can manage - any combo we choose without Finn will see Hogg at receiver a bit. Would be great if Hastings/Kinghorn had had some grand games at 10 this season.

With that we avoid the Horne playing crashball 12 that he did today - we would've been stripped every play against non-French/Italian teams. He did it well but by god how have we regressed so quick to revert to that?

Knee-jerk wouldn't mind seeing something like

Bhatti McInally Stampy Gray (with a word) Gilchrist Barclay (with a word) Watson Denton (No pick and goes) Laidlaw Horne Maitland Dunbar Jones Seymour Hogg.

Not a great team team tbh :uhoh:


Gray needs to seriously sort himself out. He is turning into a second row version of Ross Ford.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm
Posts: 1217
I am not fully convinced Barclay is over his concussion issues. O can't help but wonder if that is part of his problem.

Felt that he and Wilson were leaving Watson as a 1 man back row at times. May be harsh on Wilson so will try and watch again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Big D wrote:
I am not fully convinced Barclay is over his concussion issues. O can't help but wonder if that is part of his problem.

Felt that he and Wilson were leaving Watson as a 1 man back row at times. May be harsh on Wilson so will try and watch again.


Yeah with Laidlaw back in the side I would like to see Denton start at 8 with Wilson at 8.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 46561
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
slick wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Away wins in a competitive year are gold in the 6 Nations. Scotland a few years ago were pish because they couldn't win at home except against Italy (and not even always then), the "resurgence" has been based on overturning that trend. It will take a while, even assuming everything else goes right, for winning away from home against top tier opposition to be something Scottish fans can expect to happen. Focus on turning Murrayfield into a fortress first before getting despondent because you can't win in a hostile atmosphere. If Scotland can hold a home record this year then that would represent an achievement compared to last year, based on the fixture list


You're right Chuckles, but it was the manner of the defeat rather than the defeat itself. Most of us have been around long enough to know that a win in Cardiff was probably not going to happen but I thought there was a chance we might sneak it, or at least prgress with our game plan. What we got was a dreadful display with many of our top players being exposed, I wasn't expecting that.

I suppose I could almost be quite sanguine about that as well, but there are so many people waiting to knock us down for some reason and now they can really get stuck in. All I was reading yesterday was that the Autumn internationals are not as intense so it was no wonder we did OK in them, but we are not up to the intensity of the 6N. So is Wales getting beaten every year in the AI's becase there is no intensity? Or Irelands dodgy record because the games are not intense? Or is it just Scotland?

Regarding Finn, I'm beginning to think the France move might be a good thing. He is currently undroppable in Glasgow and for Scotland, and I wouldn't accuse him or arrogance, but he knows this. Maybe a bit of competition over there, playing a different game and having to keep a close eye on what is happening over here might focus him. I would love him to get a bollocking this week and dropped to the bench, not out of spite, just as a message that his game at the moment isn't good enough.


Had garbage hotel internet last week so couldn't get back to this until just now so apols for resurrecting a post from a few pages back, but, well -

See what I mean?

I completely understand the point about the manner of the loss and think it's totally reasonable to be despondent over it to a certain extent, but right now the biggest differentiator between the 6 Nations bar Italy (and maybe England but the last game of last year suggests maybe not) is home advantage, and Scotland have a great line in things going horribly wrong for them right now when they don't have it. I think there's a lot to be optimistic about WRT the current Scotland side, but the nature of being one of the fringe nations in size terms is that when stuff goes wrong and you're on the road it can go really very wrong indeed. None of this causes me to think that Scotland are actually a poor side though, and today seems to me to be a case in point, even if the French were their own worst enemy at times.

Totally agree on Russell, being a lively 10 who takes it close to the line and plays risky rugby is not inherently a bad thing but he doesn't seem terribly interested in improving his thinking at the moment so perhaps a spell in the ultra-conservative 10 man rugby Top14 will help round him out.

Congratulations lads, enjoy the well-earned celebrations


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8503
Location: FTFT
I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:
I am not fully convinced Barclay is over his concussion issues. O can't help but wonder if that is part of his problem.

Felt that he and Wilson were leaving Watson as a 1 man back row at times. May be harsh on Wilson so will try and watch again.


Yeah with Laidlaw back in the side I would like to see Denton start at 8 with Wilson at 8.

2 8s would definitely solve the carrying issues right enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
OptimisticJock wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:
I am not fully convinced Barclay is over his concussion issues. O can't help but wonder if that is part of his problem.

Felt that he and Wilson were leaving Watson as a 1 man back row at times. May be harsh on Wilson so will try and watch again.


Yeah with Laidlaw back in the side I would like to see Denton start at 8 with Wilson at 8.

2 8s would definitely solve the carrying issues right enough.


Yeah and both big bodies to absorb England's attack. Denton was a terrific maul defender when he was a Scotland regular which is important vs England who will maul all day if they can.

Don't really need Barclay in there as a spoiler. England aren't going to be all that interested in quick ball. Will be round the corner bosh bosh bosh, Teo on the crash and Farrell with the boot to suffocate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 46561
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
I like haggis wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:
I am not fully convinced Barclay is over his concussion issues. O can't help but wonder if that is part of his problem.

Felt that he and Wilson were leaving Watson as a 1 man back row at times. May be harsh on Wilson so will try and watch again.


Yeah with Laidlaw back in the side I would like to see Denton start at 8 with Wilson at 8.

2 8s would definitely solve the carrying issues right enough.


Yeah and both big bodies to absorb England's attack. Denton was a terrific maul defender when he was a Scotland regular which is important vs England who will maul all day if they can.

Don't really need Barclay in there as a spoiler. England aren't going to be all that interested in quick ball. Will be round the corner bosh bosh bosh, Teo on the crash and Farrell with the boot to suffocate.


Given the state of your fringe defence I'd be astonished if Ford and Faz weren't planning to suck you in with the tight 5 and then spin it out to May and Watson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15968
I would like to see Hamilton involved, Dents at 6 with him at 8. Watson on the flank, Wilson only seems to perform against weaker opposition.

Ritchie Gray might be back for the sassenachs and I would tempted to with him and Gilchrist.

I do agree with haggis as shit as Russell has been we need him on song against them and he does have it in him to be mercurial, hopefully getting pulled today will be enough of a lesson but I suspect not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Chuckles1188 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Yeah with Laidlaw back in the side I would like to see Denton start at 8 with Wilson at 8.

2 8s would definitely solve the carrying issues right enough.


Yeah and both big bodies to absorb England's attack. Denton was a terrific maul defender when he was a Scotland regular which is important vs England who will maul all day if they can.

Don't really need Barclay in there as a spoiler. England aren't going to be all that interested in quick ball. Will be round the corner bosh bosh bosh, Teo on the crash and Farrell with the boot to suffocate.


Given the state of your fringe defence I'd be astonished if Ford and Faz weren't planning to suck you in with the tight 5 and then spin it out to May and Watson.


Maybe. I'm just not convinced that's England's game.

England are so much better at grinding teams down than playing fast and loose and Scotland are there to be ground down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15968
I think both Wales and France have shown how porous our defence is, that should be the clue to what teams will do against us. No one will try and maul us to victory when they can sling it out and score for fun, the frogs just ran out of breath.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I think both Wales and France have shown how porous our defence is, that should be the clue to what teams will do against us. No one will try and maul us to victory when they can sling it out and score for fun, the frogs just ran out of breath.


Both were able to do that by smashing us up the middle though. England will play as they do which is incredibly boring but effective rugby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm
Posts: 1217
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I would like to see Hamilton involved, Dents at 6 with him at 8. Watson on the flank, Wilson only seems to perform against weaker opposition.

Ritchie Gray might be back for the sassenachs and I would tempted to with him and Gilchrist.

I do agree with haggis as shit as Russell has been we need him on song against them and he does have it in him to be mercurial, hopefully getting pulled today will be enough of a lesson but I suspect not.


Thinking about the game I think Barclay was better than Wilson so Wilson would be the 1st to go for Denton and maybe the versatile Hamilton to the bench. Wilson gives away dumb penalties and Denton has the go forward that he doesn't.

It's a tough one. Barclay wasn't long back from concussion issues and may benefit the weeks break but scarlets may use him. Wilson hasn't played a lot and could maybe do with a run out for the weeg v the cheetahs. Toony loves Wilson and Barclay is his captain.

The balance in the back row has felt off for a while and I'm not sure what the right blend is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1204
Location: Embra
Denton, Watson, Wilson, on the basis of today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15968
Big D wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I would like to see Hamilton involved, Dents at 6 with him at 8. Watson on the flank, Wilson only seems to perform against weaker opposition.

Ritchie Gray might be back for the sassenachs and I would tempted to with him and Gilchrist.

I do agree with haggis as shit as Russell has been we need him on song against them and he does have it in him to be mercurial, hopefully getting pulled today will be enough of a lesson but I suspect not.


Thinking about the game I think Barclay was better than Wilson so Wilson would be the 1st to go for Denton and maybe the versatile Hamilton to the bench. Wilson gives away dumb penalties and Denton has the go forward that he doesn't.

It's a tough one. Barclay wasn't long back from concussion issues and may benefit the weeks break but scarlets may use him. Wilson hasn't played a lot and could maybe do with a run out for the weeg v the cheetahs. Toony loves Wilson and Barclay is his captain.

The balance in the back row has felt off for a while and I'm not sure what the right blend is.


I’ve been Barclays No1 cheerleader but he has been off the pace the last two games and nowhere as effective as he usually is. I’ve also been a fan of him and Watson on the flanks as I believe it compliments our fast game bit like Calder and JJ back in the day.

We have 2 weeks now, would be great for player welfare if all the guys involved in the 6n had the 2 week break, the clubs need to be compensated fine but players need a break.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 452
Location: In vino
Smutley wrote:
Denton, Watson, Wilson, on the basis of today.

Watson, Denton and Hamilton at #8. 2/3 lineout option, 3/3 strong ball careers, 2/3 jackal options.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6150
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Just to be controversial, how about Laidlaw at 10 to start the game? He's played there for Scotland before, will bring structure and he can help Price at 9 whilst not losing Price's running threat. Plus it gives Russell the kick up the arse he needs after that game.


So not that controversial.

I honestly don't think the crowd thought Scotland were going to win till Beauxis knocked on. Why that should trigger it I don't know, but there was a palpable change in the atmosphere at that point.

I've re-watched on TV, and Russell looked even more feckless live. Not just that he did things wrong, but he did not seem to care. I know we don't want someone who makes mistakes and that affects them negatively, but they should at least look like they care and will try and rectify things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Posts: 3046
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Just to be controversial, how about Laidlaw at 10 to start the game? He's played there for Scotland before, will bring structure and he can help Price at 9 whilst not losing Price's running threat. Plus it gives Russell the kick up the arse he needs after that game.


So not that controversial.

I honestly don't think the crowd thought Scotland were going to win till Beauxis knocked on. Why that should trigger it I don't know, but there was a palpable change in the atmosphere at that point.

I've re-watched on TV, and Russell looked even more feckless live. Not just that he did things wrong, but he did not seem to care. I know we don't want someone who makes mistakes and that affects them negatively, but they should at least look like they care and will try and rectify things.


Imagine the England forwards and Ben Te'o running at Laidlaw down the 10 channel... it would be worse than last year!

Russell does care. It's his way of dealing with things - you don't get to be as good as he is if you don't care.

Does he need a rocket? Yes. And Hogg needs to kick to touch because Russell is missing one a week which is absolutely not acceptable and he does it even when he's good. I can't believe Toonie hasn't changed this yet. It's v bad coaching.

But he's a very good player, just having a ropey patch. But to beat England we need him doing the outrageous otherwise we don't have a chance. We can't go toe to toe with their pack and Laidlaw isn't a 10 let alone one near good enough to get the backline going. England will win anyway because they are much better than us so the only chance we have is Russell chucking it about with gay abandon and it goes to hand and we score tries.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:55 pm
Posts: 1217
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Big D wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I would like to see Hamilton involved, Dents at 6 with him at 8. Watson on the flank, Wilson only seems to perform against weaker opposition.

Ritchie Gray might be back for the sassenachs and I would tempted to with him and Gilchrist.

I do agree with haggis as shit as Russell has been we need him on song against them and he does have it in him to be mercurial, hopefully getting pulled today will be enough of a lesson but I suspect not.


Thinking about the game I think Barclay was better than Wilson so Wilson would be the 1st to go for Denton and maybe the versatile Hamilton to the bench. Wilson gives away dumb penalties and Denton has the go forward that he doesn't.

It's a tough one. Barclay wasn't long back from concussion issues and may benefit the weeks break but scarlets may use him. Wilson hasn't played a lot and could maybe do with a run out for the weeg v the cheetahs. Toony loves Wilson and Barclay is his captain.

The balance in the back row has felt off for a while and I'm not sure what the right blend is.


I’ve been Barclays No1 cheerleader but he has been off the pace the last two games and nowhere as effective as he usually is. I’ve also been a fan of him and Watson on the flanks as I believe it compliments our fast game bit like Calder and JJ back in the day.

We have 2 weeks now, would be great for player welfare if all the guys involved in the 6n had the 2 week break, the clubs need to be compensated fine but players need a break.


I agree he's been a bit off the pace. I don't see what Wilson brought to the game today either. Will need to try and again, there was plenty of tackles from the back row it only Watson seemed to be at the races to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531 ... 559  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], comets, Google Adsense [Bot], Hong Kong, mr bungle, MungoMan, rett, RichieRich89, Toro, UncleFB, wamberal99, WoodlandsRFC and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group