Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537 ... 586  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:56 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
So I guess that’s us back up to 5th, leapfrog Wales and SA.

Beat Ireland and we go above Aus.

Edit: just checked Ireland at 87.22 and Scotland at 84.43 after today's results. A win in Dublin by any score will take us up to 3rd. :shock:

That would be fecking hilarious. Please happen :lol:

think you have to win by +15 ...... in which case a 3rd place ranking would be well deserved

sorry for the intrusion, but just wondering is there any injuries for Scotland ..... including player alcohol poisoning from the celebrations?

looking forward to a cracker in a few weeks time

Nope, any win does it unless I’ve calculated the weekend just past incorrectly.

IRE 87.22 at home to SCO 84.43 gives:

1-15 point win: IRE 85.64, SCO 86.01
15+ win: IRE 84.85, SCO 86.89

Edit: just realised that the unlikely scenario of a 15 point win for us and a 15 point win for France would put us 2nd :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:06 pm 

And we complain when people accuse us of believing the hype.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:09 pm 

Just watched the match on TV for the first time. Someone mentioned it on another thread but it is amazing how many 50/50 calls we got that we would never have got 2 years ago. We would have been reffed off the pitch back then. Looks like everyone is taking us seriously now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:24 pm 

Big D wrote:
frillage wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
If Seymour is out I'd play Taylor (if fit) on the wing with Kinghorn on the bench.

Missed chance aside, Horne played well so deserves his place ahead of Dunbar at present imo.

Gary the elder may come in for Gilchrist if fit but he's not payed much of late has he.

Nice new shiny avatar btw LN :thumbup:

Agree on RG over Gilco and would probably take Toolis as well (especially if Nel staters for the scrum)
Would help the line out and GG was our worst performance, stupid penalties and that missed tackle on Farrell.
It would be a strong sign from coaches as well, even with a good win they are still looking at what went wrong and trying to improve.

Gilchrist wasn't that bad. Gave a couple of daft penalties away but also won at least 1 in a key position. He was one of a few who could play better than they did on Saturday which is a good sign.

Throwing Gray in away at Ireland would be a big call. He has very little game time this season and that is likely to be as intense a game as we've faced in a while.

If Seymour misses out then I'd go with Visser. We may only get a couple of chances so I'd pick a finisher.

Bench:
Brown if fit ahead of Lawson. Was a huge shift by Rambo at the weekend.
Toolis for Swinson. Thought Toolis offered more v France.
Taylor for Grigg.

Visser is such a fanny if Seymour is out i would like to see us go with Kinghorn.

Was in the local rag today that there is apparently some banter between Hogg, Jones and Seymour on who can get the try record first as they are all on about the same now, how things have changed considering how blunt our attack was not so long ago...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:55 pm 

Quote:
Visser is such a fanny if Seymour is out i would like to see us go with Kinghorn.

This x a lot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:57 pm 

Visser to score a brace against Ireland and be in running for most trys scorered for Scotland as well! (good work LN, like your thinking)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:36 pm 

Smutley wrote:
And we complain when people accuse us of believing the hype.

No hype, just facts.

And I did say it was unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:56 pm 

slick wrote:
Quote:

This x a lot

He may be but he's one of the best finishers we have. Chances may be few and far between and a natural wing is a better option in Ireland than Kinghorn from the start imo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 pm 

slick wrote:
Quote:

This x a lot

1 start at wing at wing in his career for Kinghorn and this would be against the best kicking halfback combo in world rugby who will use those skills to try and expose any weakness in positioning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:54 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
slick wrote:
Quote:

This x a lot

1 start at wing at wing in his career for Kinghorn and this would be against the best kicking halfback combo in world rugby who will use those skills to try and expose any weakness in positioning.

But think of him and Hogg charging back at them in broken play, now is not the time of fear. He who dares Rodders, he who dares :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:06 am 

topofthemoon wrote:
slick wrote:
Quote:

This x a lot

Well I'd rather have a tall full back under those kicks than a winger pretending to catch 3 metres from the landing area. The back 3 interchange in defence all the time so I don't see it being a major problem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 am 

I think we need Taylor or Dunbar to come in at 12 for Horne. Aki is such an explosive player and Horne, although willing, will struggle to contain him. Farrell & Joseph are a much less physical combo than Aki & Farrell (the Irish one), I'm not sure we can give so much heft away in the midfield without being punished.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 am 

Think this was announced a day or two ago, but Kyle Steyn has joined up with the 7s squad. Plays for Griquas in SA. SQ through his Mother.
Ultimate rugby says he is "A hard running winger who is versatile in the centres as well."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:44 am 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
I think we need Taylor or Dunbar to come in at 12 for Horne. Aki is such an explosive player and Horne, although willing, will struggle to contain him. Farrell & Joseph are a much less physical combo than Aki & Farrell (the Irish one), I'm not sure we can give so much heft away in the midfield without being punished.

Agree with this, but I don't think we'll see it. Taylor is more a 13 than 12 isn't he? I wouldn't want to see Huw pushed back to 12. And neither would be match sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:46 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Think this was announced a day or two ago, but Kyle Steyn has joined up with the 7s squad. Plays for Griquas in SA. SQ through his Mother.
Ultimate rugby says he is "A hard running winger who is versatile in the centres as well."

Byron McGuigan mk II?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:21 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:

Farrell is out for 6 weeks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:28 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:

I see where you are going with this but a bit harsh on Horne IMO. Watched the game again a couple of days back and apart from that dreadful pass he had a really good game. Did a huge amount of work on and off the ball and kept Joseph pretty quiet. I think we will cope with their bulk and have a good chance to really expose them going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:32 pm 

The overhead of Russell's pass is ridiculous :lol: : https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status ... 5415949312

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:00 pm 

No action to be taken over the tunnel incident.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:21 pm 

slick wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

I see where you are going with this but a bit harsh on Horne IMO. Watched the game again a couple of days back and apart from that dreadful pass he had a really good game. Did a huge amount of work on and off the ball and kept Joseph pretty quiet. I think we will cope with their bulk and have a good chance to really expose them going forward.

I think Horne, and the impact he has for us, is massively undervalued. We play much better with him at 12 than anyone else. He seems to take the pressure off of Finn to let him play and we are always much more dynamic with him there and I don't feel Dunbar has hit the heights of a year or so ago. Taylor is class, but also not match fit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:09 pm 

Aldo wrote:
slick wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

I think Horne, and the impact he has for us, is massively undervalued. We play much better with him at 12 than anyone else. He seems to take the pressure off of Finn to let him play and we are always much more dynamic with him there and I don't feel Dunbar has hit the heights of a year or so ago. Taylor is class, but also not match fit.

Agree. Having a 12 that offers a kicking option is is pretty much a prerequisite now ...and Dunbar has the kicking game of Heather Mills.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:11 pm 

Wilson free to play - https://twitter.com/ryanwilson89/status ... 7592284160

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:11 pm 

Ulster v Glasgow postponed due to the weather. Bit of a Shitter, few of us were heading over, week in Donegal then down to Dublin for the Scotland game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:26 pm 

Just watched the game properly. Outstanding and, obviously, not a result I was expecting. If Scotland can maintain the intensity and accuracy of that first half, then the Ireland game will be a cracker. That said, I can't see the Irish forwards allowing themselves to get as beaten up as the English.

Barclay was my MOM - an absolutely outstanding performance. Has he ever been more influential in a Scotland shirt? That pass by Finn - filthy. Jones is electric. Watson is ridiculously consistent (he even had a decent shift in the Wales debacle). Seems a shame to single out these guys because the entire team were excellent.

I'd seriously consider Denton for Wilson in the Irish game, but other than that no changes. Horne deserves his place for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:27 pm 

Aldo wrote:
slick wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

I’m coming around to this way of thinking. Horne isn’t a spectacular player, but he is solid and dependable and seems to make those around him look better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:53 pm 

Market Square Hero wrote:
Aldo wrote:
slick wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

Agree. Having a 12 that offers a kicking option is is pretty much a prerequisite now ...and Dunbar has the kicking game of Heather Mills.

I don't think it is. Hogg is an able 2nd option. Admittedly i can't remember how often he kicked it on Saturday but it didn't feel very often. Also none of our other 12 options are as good kickers as Horne. I agree that Dunbar isn't a shoe in though.

I like Horne, he's a consistently solid 6-8 out of 10 player, but I think Taylor may prove to be the best option at 12 if he can stay fit.

I'd also be interested in how Scott would go at 12 in this team. He has decent ball skills too.

One things for sure it's a positive discussion with so many options.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am 

First Post!

I marvel at how we are now debating who is the best option at "such n such" a position. I remember during the Autumn internationals, Andy Nicol said that in years gone by, picking a 3rd, 4th or 5th choice player due to injury would have meant literally grabbing someone from the stands. Especially in the front row. Now look at us! Debating who best to fill a role! The squad depth we now have combined with the ability to actually score tries is enough to bring a tear to my eyes. :D I can now almost banish the naughties from my mind.... *Shivers*

Onto the Ireland game.

I'm not sure we need to worry too much about who plays 12. Horne is playing excellent and he allows Russell and Jones to shine. And with quality backup on the bench, we don't need to worry about bringing on the subs any more!
Jones and Russell will attract a lot of attention in the midfield against Ireland, that should allow acres of space for Hoggy and the wingers to to get on the score sheet.
We've shown that size counts for nothing when your forwards are all athletic and fitter than the opposition (NZ are the trend setters here). So if Ireland try to "beat us up" up front, expect them to blow themselves out before 60 mins. And we've shown that the scrum can hold its own against the fatties.

Conclusion.. Will be a close game, tries both ways but if we up the intensity and accuracy we showed against England's plodders, Scotland to win by 7 - 10 pts. Try BP? Yes. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:14 am 

Being civilised Scottish rugby supporters I will dispense with the traditional bored welcome for newbies and just say hello.

And yes, agree with most of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:35 am 

RampantLion wrote:
First Post!

I marvel at how we are now debating who is the best option at "such n such" a position. I remember during the Autumn internationals, Andy Nicol said that in years gone by, picking a 3rd, 4th or 5th choice player due to injury would have meant literally grabbing someone from the stands. Especially in the front row. Now look at us! Debating who best to fill a role! The squad depth we now have combined with the ability to actually score tries is enough to bring a tear to my eyes. :D I can now almost banish the naughties from my mind.... *Shivers*

Onto the Ireland game.

I'm not sure we need to worry too much about who plays 12. Horne is playing excellent and he allows Russell and Jones to shine. And with quality backup on the bench, we don't need to worry about bringing on the subs any more!
Jones and Russell will attract a lot of attention in the midfield against Ireland, that should allow acres of space for Hoggy and the wingers to to get on the score sheet.
We've shown that size counts for nothing when your forwards are all athletic and fitter than the opposition (NZ are the trend setters here). So if Ireland try to "beat us up" up front, expect them to blow themselves out before 60 mins. And we've shown that the scrum can hold its own against the fatties.

Conclusion.. Will be a close game, tries both ways but if we up the intensity and accuracy we showed against England's plodders, Scotland to win by 7 - 10 pts. Try BP? Yes. :thumbup:

All of the analysis I have seen of Ireland so far suggests they defend fairly narrowly. If they continue to do so, Jones' in particular and the midfield in general's performance last week couldn't have been more timely. Hopefully, as you point out, this will allow Hogg, Maitland and Seymour/whoever to exploit gaps out wide while the Irish work on containing the midfield. Hogg certainly had a field day last year, more of the same please!

As to your first point - absolutely. Being in a position where one of our major attacking weapons may be nullified (Jones) and having confidence that this may allow another to flourish never gets old!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm 

The narrowness of the Irish defense was exploited last year. Surely they wont set up the same again. That being said, Toony and co have changed and adapted their attacking game plan every match so if the Irish set up one way, we will have other attacking options (I am politely ignoring the Welsh game where we had no plan B).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 pm 

Aldo wrote:
The narrowness of the Irish defense was exploited last year. Surely they wont set up the same again. That being said, Toony and co have changed and adapted their attacking game plan every match so if the Irish set up one way, we will have other attacking options (I am politely ignoring the Welsh game where we had no plan B).

I feel the Welsh game was a necessary experience imo. It demonstrated that for all the glitzy stuff we can now deliver, it won't always deliver the goods in the heat of a six nations campaign. They showed they had learned from that game by grinding it out against the French. My gut says that Scotland are more multi-dimensional now and when playing like the ABs works then great, and when it's not, they can adapt and play for territory / points.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 pm 

Aldo wrote:

So narrow they couldnt even prevent our centre scoring from a lineout

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

Daryl Marfo has signed on for 2 more years. He's definitely earned it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:09 pm 

Aldo wrote:

A lot of the narrowness in their defence comes from the narrowness of their attack; i.e. relentlessly smashing up through the middle. I suppose the way to expose this is to secure turnover ball and quickly move the ball wide in the first few phases. The problem with this is they have the best back row in Europe, in my opinion, and possibly the best in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 pm 

This is our toughest game, they are going to have to find another 2 gears to beat Ireland in Dublin, this is tougher ask than beating the English at Murrayfield and would rank as one of our greatest victories if they can pull it off.

The irish will have been all over videos of how we play and working on how to nullify it, if we cant get a more expansive game it is going to be a long afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:18 pm 

Yep. They reckon they will starve us of the ball. The pack will have to find yet another level.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:29 pm 

If the Irish put boides in the breakdown, all we need to do is maintain discipline in defense and force Irish into making errors. Even when we couldn't pinch the ball from the English, the Jackals were slowing it down enough to prevent them from getting quick ball. If the wide game doesn't make hay then ping it to the corner and force the Irish to play from their 22.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:43 pm 

slick wrote:
Being civilised Scottish rugby supporters I will dispense with the traditional bored welcome for newbies and just say hello.

And yes, agree with most of that.

Boo that.

fudge off noob is an important rite of passage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pm 

fudge off noob??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:47 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Aldo wrote:

So narrow they couldnt even prevent our centre scoring from a lineout

I can just watch and watch and watch that one :smug:

Last edited by zt1903 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 531, 532, 533, 534, 535, 536, 537 ... 586  Next