Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539 ... 586  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:18 pm 

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... etown-team

Edinburgh have signed Dave Cherry on a one year deal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:20 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/03/06/news-cherry-top-hooker-signs-hometown-team

my aren't you eagle eyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:45 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/03/06/news-cherry-top-hooker-signs-hometown-team

my aren't you eagle eyed

Slow day at work, so I'm sat on Twitter :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:51 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

my aren't you eagle eyed

I see what you did there...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

my aren't you eagle eyed

I see what you did there...

:smug:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:39 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

my aren't you eagle eyed

I'm ashamed to say I chuckled at that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:44 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

my aren't you eagle eyed

That went right over my head :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 am 

Was idly looking through the first couple of dozen pages of this thread today. Fascinating reading.

Only 6 years ago - Robinson was in charge and still picking Parks (who retired after one game), De Luca, Morrison and Evans, and sticking rigidly to the same players who failed every time.

We lost every game in the 6N, but we mostly thought we had the nucleus of a good team if they could only get it together (oh, how we kid ourselves).

We fell to 12th in the rankings and were in danger of dropping to pot 4 in the RWC seedings.

Toony was attack coach and was getting an absolute slating. He then got the job at Glasgow and was widely expected to fail miserably there due to being so rubbish with Scotland’s attack. Funny how things work out.

Weir was felt to be the likely solution at 10. I guess we were desperate after Parks.

One classic quote from a bored regular: ‘Seymour ain't gonna cut it anytime soon if ever.’ Again, funny how things turn out.

Next time I feel depressed about rugby, I’m going to go back and read the first 30 pages again and remember what real misery was like.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 am 

Meh, i think picking a 10-12 axis of Parks - Henderson for so long was the real low point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am 

Willie Falloon wrote:
Meh, i think picking a 10-12 axis of Parks - Henderson for so long was the real low point.

Nope. Henderson was rubbish, but he will never come near Morrison for me for sheer crapness. Now we have half a dozen Test class centres. Funny old world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Nope. Henderson was rubbish, but he will never come near Morrison for me for sheer crapness. Now we have half a dozen Test class centres. Funny old world.

Sean Lamont was the worst 12 we had for me. Good winger but couldn't pass so why he was at 12 is anyone's guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Sean Lamont was the worst 12 we had for me. Good winger but couldn't pass so why he was at 12 is anyone's guess.

Sheer desperation. He was rubbish at 12, but less so than the other frauds we had been playing there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 am 

I already thought that Morrison and DeLuca’s game complimented each other perfectly, Morrison couldn’t pass and DeLuca couldn’t catch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Willie Falloon wrote:

Can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea. I remember watching them warm up before a match and he dropped every pass and passed it like a burst haggis.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 am 

Glasgow are looking at bringing DTH back :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 pm 

Seymour out injured. Big game for King Blairhorn to make his first start.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:05 pm 

Surprised Gray the elder isn't on the bench at least. Good to see Brown back in. HUGE game for BK.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 pm 

Not that unexpected, Seymour obviously not fit enough and Toonie giving the guys who did so well against England the chance to do the same to Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:58 pm 

Blair was really solid against England when he came on (six tackles I believe). If he produces the same, that will be fine as he will have broadly matched Seymour's contribution thus far. If he brings some of his sparkle that would be brilliant though, another dangerman for the Irish to try to contain. He has all the tools to be an absolute top quality international, let's hope he takes to it as well as Jones did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:38 pm 

Alba wrote:
Blair was really solid against England when he came on (six tackles I believe). If he produces the same, that will be fine as he will have broadly matched Seymour's contribution thus far. If he brings some of his sparkle that would be brilliant though, another dangerman for the Irish to try to contain. He has all the tools to be an absolute top quality international, let's hope he takes to it as well as Jones did.

Will be an unknown quantity for Ireland. So nice to have so many strike runners in the side!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 pm 

Effectively playing with three fullbacks should give us a lot of interchange options too. Hogg came up and into the midfield a lot last year with loads of success - if he repeats that this year we should have both Kinghorn and Maitland able to cover for the kicks behind our defence.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:50 pm 

I'm a big fan of Kinghorn but see him as purely a 15. I'm wary about the prospect of him starting his first international in Dublin in a position he has rarely, if ever, played. I know there are elements that transfer between fullback and wing but they are not identical positions. I hope he goes well nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:02 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
I'm a big fan of Kinghorn but see him as purely a 15. I'm wary about the prospect of him starting his first international in Dublin in a position he has rarely, if ever, played. I know there are elements that transfer between fullback and wing but they are not identical positions. I hope he goes well nonetheless.

he has played wing for Edinburgh, while not regularly, enough that it will be a step up in level that is the issue, not position.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:04 pm 

frillage wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

he has played wing for Edinburgh, while not regularly, enough that it will be a step up in level that is the issue, not position.

That is reassuring somewhat. Was it a while ago? I have only ever seen him start at 15 or 10.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:09 pm 

Wylie Coyote wrote:
frillage wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

That is reassuring somewhat. Was it a while ago? I have only ever seen him start at 15 or 10.

OTOTM will be along at some point!

While wiki not the best he is listed as Full back/Stand off/Wing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:50 pm 

frillage wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:
frillage wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

Edinburgh started him at wing in the second leg of the 1872 Cup last season. You'd need an Embra regular to confirm if he's subbed on at wing at all.

From a Scotland point of view seeing Kinghorn exclusively as a full back doesn't really help the national side much except for covering when Hogg is unavailable. Playing him as a Maitland-style wing/FB could allow us the option to get 2 of Scotland's most dangerous runners playing in the same team rather than fighting for a single place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
frillage wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:
frillage wrote:
Wylie Coyote wrote:

Edinburgh started him at wing in the second leg of the 1872 Cup last season. You'd need an Embra regular to confirm if he's subbed on at wing at all.

From a Scotland point of view seeing Kinghorn exclusively as a full back doesn't really help the national side much except for covering when Hogg is unavailable. Playing him as a Maitland-style wing/FB could allow us the option to get 2 of Scotland's most dangerous runners playing in the same team rather than fighting for a single place.

I’m not too worried about Kinghorn playing wing. Reckon he’s got the skills for it. And although I don’t agree in principle with fielding players out of position, we don’t have a lot of depth on the wing and it does make sense to have both in the team if they are both fit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm 

NZ always have wings on strings so it makes sense other nations try it more.

I always feel Scotland are much more secure with Maitland there so if would be ideal if Kinghorn can develop his game on the wing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:37 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
NZ always have wings on strings so it makes sense other nations try it more.

I always feel Scotland are much more secure with Maitland there so if would be ideal if Kinghorn can develop his game on the wing.

Looking forward to the weekend. Head says Ireland, but Scotland have got the goods to make a game of it.

Very much looking forward to seeing what Kinghorn can do at this level. He’ll be targeted. Probably not on the high ball, but expect to see the Irish running at him and putting his decision making under pressure after creating their space with relentless, error-free carrying through the forwards and sucking in/exhausting the wide defence.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:04 am 

What are the deciding factors for teams tied on points in the 6N? E.g. if Scotland and England are tied at the top do Scotland win by virtue of beating England?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
What are the deciding factors for teams tied on points in the 6N? E.g. if Scotland and England are tied at the top do Scotland win by virtue of beating England?

No - the tie breakers are points difference, then tries scored. If both of those are level the championship is shared.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:13 pm 

FFS, the requirements for a new avatar on the bored are ridiculous. Half an hour of messing around in Paint later...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:22 pm 

Happened last 6Ns. Scotland, Ireland and France were all on 14 points last year but it went Ireland, France and Scotland in the final standings due to points difference.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:14 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

No - the tie breakers are points difference, then tries scored. If both of those are level the championship is shared.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:25 am 

Looking forward to this. But then I was looking forward to Cardiff.

Long time lurker finally getting round to posting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:20 am 

Biffer29 wrote:

Welcome. (Sorry, I mean ‘fudge off noob’ ;) )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:50 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Ta. Now I’ve been told to fudge off I can go and wind up some tattie shaggers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:52 am 

Biffer29 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Ta. Now I’ve been told to fudge off I can go and wind up some tattie shaggers.

It’s a rite of passage right enough. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:19 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
FFS, the requirements for a new avatar on the bored are ridiculous. Half an hour of messing around in Paint later...

Worth it though - it'll be nice not getting you and OTOTM mixed up any more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:38 pm 

charltom wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Worth it though - it'll be nice not getting you and OTOTM mixed up any more.

I reckon Smutley still had the same pic until last week too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23425 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 533, 534, 535, 536, 537, 538, 539 ... 586  Next