Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544 ... 559  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:46 pm 

That's what I was trying to hint towards as well. Jones Price et al look like Hogg a few years back - chunks of brilliance and periods when they're poor or anonymous. If they all come one like Hogg, we'll be minted. I think the best thing Hogg has done over the last eighteen months is raise the minimum level of his game. Make your poor games middling and don't lose the brilliance, and realise you don't need to look like a God in every game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:52 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
That's what I was trying to hint towards as well. Jones Price et al look like Hogg a few years back - chunks of brilliance and periods when they're poor or anonymous. If they all come one like Hogg, we'll be minted. I think the best thing Hogg has done over the last eighteen months is raise the minimum level of his game. Make your poor games middling and don't lose the brilliance, and realise you don't need to look like a God in every game.

Peter Wright was saying his (Hogg) work ethic is exceptional and he regularly loses the plot with his teammates if they f around in training. That's what the best do, they are never content to maintain where they are, they are constantly pushing on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:33 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
If you exclude Currie Cup / Vodacom Cup Huw Jones has only made 10 starts at top club level - less than his 16 starts for Scotland. Even if you include the lower tier of SA comps he's still only started 32 club games in his career so far. That's less than Kinghorn for example. He's a late developer which is why he's come through this route to us so he's not been getting drilled in Academy systems since he was 16/17. He's a lot to learn but it's all teachable - the instinctive attacking stuff he has already would be very difficult to develop just through coaching.

That's some incredible stats.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 pm 

In the Tom English post six nations review he suggests leaving names at home for the tour.

It's a compelling argument as we won't learn anything about Barclay, Laidlaw, Hogg, Russell et Al on the tour. But they are leaders in the squad and driving world cup standards so I'd take them.

I'd leave guys like Watson, J Gray, Gilchrist, McInally, Maitland at home because injuries permitting they've played a lot of rugby and aren't really needed (apart from Argentina but may as well throw the young guys into a cauldren). Maybe take Seymour as he needs to find form.

Would be interested to see Huw Jones on the wing as an option. Would like to see Kinghorn, Fife (reward for good form if nothing else), Bennett, Hastings, G Horne, Bradbury, Carmichael, Cummings and McCallum all get gametime.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 pm 

Rewatched the game back finally, and read through the match thread.

I think a few folk are being a bit harsh on Scotland, but some criticisms stand up to scrutiny. We didn't perform in the first 50, yet scored two well worked tries and stayed in the match. We then were able to cop on and finish the job. I think throughout there was a lack of skill and perhaps communication from some players. Some looked jaded. However others I thought played quite well and stood up. While it's fair to say Italy had the game there for the taking, this is a game that we would not have won a couple of years ago, so for us to take the win is definite progress.

The subs made a big difference. People are rightly saying Italy ran out of puff but credit must be due to the way Scotland handled that period, and credit due to Toonie for making the subs when he did.

Finally, Italy played very well, ok they ran out of gas but their performance for the most part was superb. That they were at home definitely helped them, as did the introduction of Polledri who we failed to handle. Credit to them is due in lieu of disparaging our underwhelming but ultimately spirited performance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:21 am 

On Italy, I do wonder if they played their gameplan very nearly perfectly. After the Wales debacle, and England last year, I wonder if Italy took a punt on us being a team that, when it is losing badly, loses all confidence and folds. It would have been a fair assumption to make. They were going at us so hard for the first 40-50 minutes, there was no way they could sustain that throughout an 80. Their linespeed was exceptional and put our midfield under significant pressure. The difference here, I think, is that we have some genuine belief that we can beat Italy, no matter what. Through a combination of luck, poor finishing from Italy, and sheer bloody mindedness, we stayed in it.

On summer tour selection, I am never too sure about leaving players at home. I understand they need rest, but we still (by and large), have a young and inexperienced group - they need to play together as much as possible. Perhaps the over 30s could travel and not really play much, but we need to put out our best team whenever and wherever we play. Another poster suggested elsewhere, with our fixture list we could look to finish the remainder of 2018 unbeaten - that would be another big confidence boost for the lads.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 am 

Crosbie has to be given a chance in the summer.I think he will be a mainstay at 6 for Scotland in the future. It would be good to see him getting his chance early!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:20 am 

dpedin wrote:
Crosbie has to be given a chance in the summer.I think he will be a mainstay at 6 for Scotland in the future. It would be good to see him getting his chance early!

I think Richie and Fagerson currently have more to their game (if less bulk in Richie's case) - I'm not sure what position either will end in though. Richie could be a 6 or a 7, Fagerson a 7 or an 8. Then there is Bradbury who could be a 6 or an 8. Perhaps we could fit all three in the same backrow?

I really like Crosbie though, he brings the sort of intensity and aggression that seems to be standard from an Irish backrow and that we seem not to produce much of. If he can add a bit more of an all-court style to his repertoire, I think you might just be right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:46 am 

dpedin wrote:

I'd like to see us try and find a better balance in the back row. I think the.young edinburgh guys are best placed to come in as Fagerson will likely go with the 20s. Crosbie has a bright future and it would be nice if the powers that be let him focus on being a 6.

It seems to be a common theme with ours 6s that they can be moved to 7 or 8. It since Stroker have we had an out and out 6. Having an option that can develop into a hard hitting, good carrying 6 will only be a positive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 am 

Big D wrote:
dpedin wrote:

I'd like to see us try and find a better balance in the back row. I think the.young edinburgh guys are best placed to come in as Fagerson will likely go with the 20s. Crosbie has a bright future and it would be nice if the powers that be let him focus on being a 6.

It seems to be a common theme with ours 6s that they can be moved to 7 or 8. It since Stroker have we had an out and out 6. Having an option that can develop into a hard hitting, good carrying 6 will only be a positive.

Good point. We have four top prospects in Richie, Crosbie, Fagerson and Bradbury. It is not clear what any of their positions are at present. The same probably applies to Matt Smith who is there or thereabouts too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm 

Alba wrote:
dpedin wrote:

I think Richie and Fagerson currently have more to their game (if less bulk in Richie's case) - I'm not sure what position either will end in though. Richie could be a 6 or a 7, Fagerson a 7 or an 8. Then there is Bradbury who could be a 6 or an 8. Perhaps we could fit all three in the same backrow?

I really like Crosbie though, he brings the sort of intensity and aggression that seems to be standard from an Irish backrow and that we seem not to produce much of. If he can add a bit more of an all-court style to his repertoire, I think you might just be right.

Agree with the last bit, though it’s odd as aggressive back row forwards used to be our speciality.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:21 pm 

I’d also like to see Luke Hamilton get a shot in the summer. He had a brief cameo in the autumn and I liked the look of him. He’s a good age too - a wee bit older and more experienced than some of the young guns.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:19 pm 

We've definitely got options to experiment a bit with the back row in the summer to see what kind of mix we can find that gives us some alternatives in the back row style if and when we need it. Options to look at in the second row as well with Toolis, Carmichael, Cummings, although the great thing is in both areas there's plenty of life left in the current plays with the exception of Barclay. We have depth all over the pack now, when everyone is fit I can name two full packs, with subs, I wouldn't worry about playing (no particular order or preference here, I was just spouting names to myself)

Dell, McInally, Nel, Gray, Gray, Watson, Wilson, Barclay (subs Reid, Turner, Berghan, Swinson, Hamilton)
Marfo, Brown, Fagerson, Gilchrist, Toolis, Bradbury, Denton, Hardie (subs Bhatti, Ford, McCallum, Cummings/Carmichael, Crosbie)

and there's others that could slot in as well such as Sutherland, Dickinson (if he comes back), Welsh, Bradbury, Rithcie, du Preez, Strauss, Harley and young guys to push on as well such as Fenton, Rae, Fagerson jr, Hunter-Hill, Malcolm and Smith.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:48 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
We've definitely got options to experiment a bit with the back row in the summer to see what kind of mix we can find that gives us some alternatives in the back row style if and when we need it. Options to look at in the second row as well with Toolis, Carmichael, Cummings, although the great thing is in both areas there's plenty of life left in the current plays with the exception of Barclay. We have depth all over the pack now, when everyone is fit I can name two full packs, with subs, I wouldn't worry about playing (no particular order or preference here, I was just spouting names to myself)

Dell, McInally, Nel, Gray, Gray, Watson, Wilson, Barclay (subs Reid, Turner, Berghan, Swinson, Hamilton)
Marfo, Brown, Fagerson, Gilchrist, Toolis, Bradbury, Denton, Hardie (subs Bhatti, Ford, McCallum, Cummings/Carmichael, Crosbie)

and there's others that could slot in as well such as Sutherland, Dickinson (if he comes back), Welsh, Bradbury, Rithcie, du Preez, Strauss, Harley and young guys to push on as well such as Fenton, Rae, Fagerson jr, Hunter-Hill, Malcolm and Smith.

Right, now do it with the backs (I'm too lazy).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:01 pm 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... -1-4709262

More neds embarrassing Scotland. They can keep this shite far far away from rugby. Hopefully there's a life ban coming for the fud shouting FTP.

So many utter c*nts follow rugby these days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:01 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

The backs are more difficult, but only because of the issues around 10. My effort:

Hogg, Maitland, Taylor, Jones, Seymour, Russell, Laidlaw,

Kinghorn, Visser, Dunbar, Bennett, Jones, Horne, Price

Jackson, McGuigan, Scott, Grigg, Hastings (?), Horne (Jr)

Three full backlines isn't too shabby compared to recent years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:04 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/scotland/scottish-rugby-to-probe-sectarian-incident-in-rome-1-4709262

More neds embarrassing Scotland. They can keep this shite far far away from rugby. Hopefully there's a life ban coming for the fud shouting FTP.

Utter cretins - I wish these tools would disappear from Scotland as well as rugby and football.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm 

Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/scotland/scottish-rugby-to-probe-sectarian-incident-in-rome-1-4709262

Utter cretins - I wish these tools would disappear from Scotland as well as rugby and football.

It's depressing the amount of incidents of shitebag behaviour being reported at rugby matches now. How long until there's a fight and fan segregation?

I believe John Beattie identified that one of these pricks had a Bearsden RFC jersey on so they shouldn't be too hard to identify.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:27 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

It's depressing the amount of incidents of shitebag behaviour being reported at rugby matches now. How long until there's a fight and fan segregation?

I believe John Beattie identified that one of these pricks had a Bearsden RFC jersey on so they shouldn't be too hard to identify.

Go in hard - life ban. He is probably a 'social' member...possibly of several 'clubs'. There for the booze and casual racism rather than the sport I'd wager - no great loss.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:31 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

A) why do it?
B) how stupid do you have to be to do it wearing something that makes it easy to track you down?

I believe the answers may be related.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:31 pm 

Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Go in hard - life ban. He is probably a 'social' member...possibly of several 'clubs'. There for the booze and casual racism rather than the sport I'd wager - no great loss.

If the other crowd members got on his case and forced him to leave the stadium, that would work. Nothing like being singled out and made an example of in front of thousands of people.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

morons.

Will be interesting to see how the SRU deal with this. In football, the SFA have been wholly incompetent at dealing with sectarianism, hopefully the SRU can take the lead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:48 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Does Bearsden RFC actually exist?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

I was thinking that. I know the area a bit and I thought it was only West of Scotland in Bearsden and Milngavie. Could be wrong of course.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:59 pm 

checking a quick google, there is a Facebook page for the "bears-den", (RFC) rangers football club.
Sounds about right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:00 pm 

dgp1957 wrote:
checking a quick google, there is a Facebook page for the "bears-den", (RFC) rangers football club.
Sounds about right.

:lol: :lol:

Oh Scotland :((

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

No idea. It definitely says Bearsden RFC. Rome 2018 on his jersey though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm 

slick wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

I was thinking that. I know the area a bit and I thought it was only West of Scotland in Bearsden and Milngavie. Could be wrong of course.

I Googled - there’s a hit from the West of Scotland site saying their U15s are managed by a ‘former Bearsden RFC stalwart’, so presumably they do exist.

The SFA have been useless at tackling sectarianism because they are completely in thrall to Celtic and Rangers (despite the fact the latter no longer exist) and they are well aware that it’s sectarianism that keeps the turnstiles clicking and maintains the pre-eminent status of those two clubs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 pm 

Alba wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

The backs are more difficult, but only because of the issues around 10. My effort:

There's quite a few more players that are available too. Hidalgo-Clyne, Pyrgos, Weir, Burleigh, Vernon, Dean, Graham, Fife, Hoyland, Hughes, Nairn

Tbh the only position where we are very quickly down to cover your eyes territory is 10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:11 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Alba wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

There's quite a few more players that are available too. Hidalgo-Clyne, Pyrgos, Weir, Burleigh, Vernon, Dean, Graham, Fife, Hoyland, Hughes, Nairn

Tbh the only position where we are very quickly down to cover your eyes territory is 10

Definitely - I would say the depth chart looks something like this (based on players with pro starts in recent years).

Obviously there is plenty to argue about in terms of position in some of these selections, as well as the order of the list, but it at least illustrates the growing depth. I would say we have up to 3 decent selections in most positions now with the exclusion of 10 (and possibly 8 ).

LH: Dickinson, Dell, Marfo, Sutherland, Reid, Bhatti, Alex Allan, Grant
Hooker: McInally, Brown, Ford, Turner, Lawson, Cochrane, MacArthur, James Malcolm, Fenton
TH: Nel, Fagerson, Berghan, D'Arcy Rae, McCallum, Moray Low, Welsh, Adam Nicol, Bryce
Lock: R Gray, Gilchrist, Swinson, Cummings, Bresler, McKenzie, Carmichael
Lock: J Gray, Toolis (B), Hunter-Hill, Kieran Low
Blindside:Barclay, Harley, Richie, Lewis Wynne, Luke Crosbie, Tyrone Holmes
Openside: Watson, Hardie, Hamilton, Matt Smith, Cowan, Fusaro, Hugh Blake
Number 8: Wilson, Denton, CdP, Strauss, Ashe, Bradbury, Matt Fagerson
Scrumhalf: Laidlaw, Price, Pyrgos, SHC, Fowles, Vellacott, George Horne, Kennedy
Flyhalf: Russell, Horne, Weir, Hastings, Heathcote, Josh Henderson
Wing: Maitland, Jones (L), Visser, Hoyland, Tom Brown, Robbie Nairn, Jamie Farndale, Sam Yawayawa
Inside Centre: Taylor, Dunbar, Scott, Sam Johnson, Burleigh, Harris, Hutchinson
Outside Centre: Jones (H),Bennett, Grigg, Dean, James Johnstone, Richie Vernon
Wing: Seymour, McGuigan, Fife, Hughes, Graham
FB: Hogg, Kinghorn, Jackson, Tonks, Murchie, Bryce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:21 pm 

I thought Bresler was only qualified through residence so lost that when he moved?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:35 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
I thought Bresler was only qualified through residence so lost that when he moved?

You're right, there are probably a bunch I missed off too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:47 pm 

A little bit of chat here about the potential Newcastle Falcons partnership - it sounds more like the French deal than anything else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43473255

Dodson also goes in hard on resistance to the Super 6. I can't say I know enough about it to understand the criticism that it seems to be getting, but I don't think Dodson will win many friends with his attitude. Perhaps that is what is needed at this stage though, to clear out the blazers and hangers-on'ers that seem to have so much sway over rugby here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 pm 

Alba wrote:
A little bit of chat here about the potential Newcastle Falcons partnership - it sounds more like the French deal than anything else.

Dodson also goes in hard on resistance to the Super 6. I can't say I know enough about it to understand the criticism that it seems to be getting, but I don't think Dodson will win many friends with his attitude. Perhaps that is what is needed at this stage though, to clear out the blazers and hangers-on'ers that seem to have so much sway over rugby here.

I was at a meeting where an interested party in the Caley region presented their plans. Was very interesting.

The SRU are apparently already receiving notes from potential sponsors.

Expected that most if not all 6 will retain teams in prem rugby (or wherever they come from).

Confident, and the SRU fella was extremely confident there will be 6 viable teams covering all 4 regions. They seem tonne expecting 7 or 8 bids but I may have picked him up wrong. He said 13 notes of interest and he wouldn't name them (correctly so).

Looking increasingly likely 1 bid from Caley region.
Possibly 1 or 2 bids from Borders. Have heard Melrose mentioned.
Possibly as many as 4 bids from Edinburgh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 pm 

Alba wrote:

I'm not close enough to the club game now to really know but i can definitely see the logic in the Super 6, the gap between the current clubs and the pro sides is too big to realistically breach. Late developers like Huw Jones are very much the exception and he had to come via SA.

I can well imagine some of the old boys are resistant to it but from what i gather playing numbers are well down from where they were in the 90's etc.

If the Super 6 is successful i could see it then being expanded to 8 sides and wuite like the idea of banning of payments to players below this level. Keep it amateur ffs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:23 pm 

Alba wrote:

He wasn't wrong here: "There's a group of people in every union, and ours is no different, who keep pointing back to the glory days. Well, I've tried to find these glory days over the last 30 years and I'm struggling. I can't find this period when everything was wonderful inside Scottish rugby."

I'm really interested to see which teams end up in the Super 6.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:25 pm 

Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:

I was at a meeting where an interested party in the Caley region presented their plans. Was very interesting.

The SRU are apparently already receiving notes from potential sponsors.

Expected that most if not all 6 will retain teams in prem rugby (or wherever they come from).

Confident, and the SRU fella was extremely confident there will be 6 viable teams covering all 4 regions. They seem tonne expecting 7 or 8 bids but I may have picked him up wrong. He said 13 notes of interest and he wouldn't name them (correctly so).

Looking increasingly likely 1 bid from Caley region.
Possibly 1 or 2 bids from Borders. Have heard Melrose mentioned.
Possibly as many as 4 bids from Edinburgh.

Note of interest and making a bid are two different things...

Be interested to know who from Caley was bidding as i have heard rumblings up here but it was an amalgamation bid being mooted but i think it has struggled to get any real impetus as the vested interests in the individual clubs are possibly scuppering it. Which would then leave Dundee High and Stirling County i reckon... outside bet of Howe/Kircaldy

From the weegies i could see Ayr, West or Hawks taking a punt

Definitely see Melrose as they have the funds from the 7's to make a go of it second would be Gala.

Embra has so many options from Watsonians, Muir, Currie, Heriots nevermind Stew Mel, Edin Accies or a plethora of other clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:32 pm 

Alba wrote:

Had dinner with the Worcester Warriors CEO last week. He wouldn't give much away but said that the SRU were genuine in what they wanted to do but it just fizzled out - maybe because Newcastle came up I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 pm 

slick wrote:
Alba wrote:

Had dinner with the Worcester Warriors CEO last week. He wouldn't give much away but said that the SRU were genuine in what they wanted to do but it just fizzled out - maybe because Newcastle came up I guess.

Newcastle makes so much sense though, just down the road. Loads of Scots have played there through the years and if they are looking at a £2m funding gap i assume the SRU could be saying we will pay the £2m and these are our wants in terms of players game time, coaches etc etc. Can definitely see it being a smart move for both parties, only ones not happy about it will probably be the RFU.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
slick wrote:
Alba wrote:

Newcastle makes so much sense though, just down the road. Loads of Scots have played there through the years and if they are looking at a £2m funding gap i assume the SRU could be saying we will pay the £2m and these are our wants in terms of players game time, coaches etc etc. Can definitely see it being a smart move for both parties, only ones not happy about it will probably be the RFU.

The way I read it, it wasn't even as complex as that. I read it as, Newcastle are losing c.£2m per season and the SRU have offered to provide centrally contracted players and staff to them for free (thereby freeing up some of those wages)...? Perhaps a combination of the two may even work - players plus a financial contribution to ensure they have a say in the running of the club?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 538, 539, 540, 541, 542, 543, 544 ... 559  Next