Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549 ... 559  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:49 pm 

Super 6 teams announced - Ayr, Stirling County, Heriots, Boroughmuir, Watsonians, Melrose.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:01 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Sam Hidalgo Clyne off to the Scarlets

Terrible move for him and Edinburgh.

He goes from first pick to back up and Edinburgh lose their starter and dead eye goal kicker.

Is either Gareth or Aled Davies moving on? Surely SHC becomes 3rd choice behind two Welsh internationals.

Aled Davies gone to the Os

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:01 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Super 6 teams announced - Ayr, Stirling County, Heriots, Boroughmuir, Watsonians, Melrose.

Too many Edinburgh, not enough Glasgow.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Too many central belt, SRU showing their disdain for anything North of the Forth hasn't changed over the years.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Not enough North of the Central Belt.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Too many central belt, SRU showing their disdain for anything North of the Forth hasn't changed over the years.

Indeed, I would have thought Dundee High had a good shout for that very reason.

My club almost merged with another to try get one in Aberdeen - glad it didn't happen at the time and even more so now (we were the smaller of the two and so would have ceased to exist in a fool's errand).

No Glasgow franchise is weird

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:56 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Yeah, f**ked off with this. I was looking forward to it but not now. As soon as my interest in Scottish rugby properly picks up the SRU shite on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 pm 

Quote:
What about the amateur game?

Scottish Rugby has pledged to enforce the strictly amateur status of the game beneath the Super Six.

It hopes to bring an end to any "gentleman's agreements" between clubs and players - forms of financial remuneration or employment which are, at their core, payments for playing.

"Our member clubs said, 'We want non-payment of players in our domestic game'," Gemmell said.

"How it's going to be policed is something we will need to work through. Payment of players outwith HMRC directly by clubs, we're going to be saying as a rule of our competition, you're not allowed to do that.

The Super Six aims to bridge the gap between top domestic teams and Scotland's professional sides

"For the first time, that will be in the participation agreement. You sign up to that, that's what you're saying.

"And there will be consequences for the first time if that happens, whether those be for the signatories [of the participation agreement] or docking of points.

"It's a way to protect players playing at a level they are capable of playing at. It would prevent other clubs in an area losing players to a club who are willing to pay them.

"I think if you get to the stage where this is successful, and clubs who are not in the Super Six are actively promoting their players moving to the next level because they are good enough, rather than being poached for x amount of money."

Good luck policing that...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:48 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Whilst the geographic distribution looks off, a lot depends on the quality of the bids they received. It is possible there are none in the north or Glasgow simply because the bids were not good enough.

It would be interesting to know how the bids were assessed. The SRU may have gone for the 6 strongest bids from wherever they originated on the basis that their job is to build the strongest possible rugby teams. On the other hand, they surely have a duty to encourage the growth of rugby across the country so geographic spread may have been a weighting used.

Either way, without knowing how the bids were assessed and the quality of the bids it is impossible to say if the right parameters were applied fairly to get to this outcome.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:52 pm 

BokJock wrote:
Quote:
What about the amateur game?

Scottish Rugby has pledged to enforce the strictly amateur status of the game beneath the Super Six.

It hopes to bring an end to any "gentleman's agreements" between clubs and players - forms of financial remuneration or employment which are, at their core, payments for playing.

"Our member clubs said, 'We want non-payment of players in our domestic game'," Gemmell said.

"How it's going to be policed is something we will need to work through. Payment of players outwith HMRC directly by clubs, we're going to be saying as a rule of our competition, you're not allowed to do that.

The Super Six aims to bridge the gap between top domestic teams and Scotland's professional sides

"For the first time, that will be in the participation agreement. You sign up to that, that's what you're saying.

"And there will be consequences for the first time if that happens, whether those be for the signatories [of the participation agreement] or docking of points.

"It's a way to protect players playing at a level they are capable of playing at. It would prevent other clubs in an area losing players to a club who are willing to pay them.

"I think if you get to the stage where this is successful, and clubs who are not in the Super Six are actively promoting their players moving to the next level because they are good enough, rather than being poached for x amount of money."

Good luck policing that...

When I were a lad, it was fairly common for players to work for businesses owned by club supporters from which they somehow got copious time off to train. I suspect those days may return.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:00 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Aberdeen didn't even bid and Dundee just has no rugby footprint.

The super six isn't going to increase local playing numbers, they need to really invest in grassroots in Dundee/Aberdeen/Perth.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:10 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

The super six isn't going to increase local playing numbers, they need to really invest in grassroots in Dundee/Aberdeen/Perth.

This was an opportunity to.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 pm 

Hawks don't have their own ground or other facilities do they? That'll be why they failed.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

This is about narrowing the gap between amateur and professional rugby.

Aberdeen and Dundee need amateur rugby before narrowing any gap to pro rugby.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:49 pm 

The procedure for this would probably have been an exercise where you ranked the applications from each region separately, to establish your first four franchises, then looked at the rest all together. If the two Edinburgh bids clearly outscored the others that were left, you have to select them otherwise you leave yourself open to a legal challenge.

The panel was Sir Bill Gammell (chair), Mark Dodson, Gregor Townsend, Stewart Harris (SportScotland), Andrew Healy (SRU Head of Finance), Gemma Fay (SRU Head of Women's rugby), Stephen Gemmell (SRU Technical director).

Stephen Gemmell is from Ayr, Gemma Fay is from Perth, Townsend is Gala, Not sure where Harris is from but he used to teach PE in Dundee, Andrew Healy is from Glasgow and played for GHA, Dodson is from Yorkshire and Gammell went to Fettes so thinks Watson's, Heriots and Boroughmuir are all for poor people.

So the panel wasn't stuffed with people advocating for their own school or club so far as I can see.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:12 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

Trouble with this as well is that any tiny, slim, miniscule hope of growing crowd numbers has gone when you have 3 teams from one place. It was already pushing it to think people from other clubs might go to support a new Super 6 franchise, but literally no one is going to walk across the road from Boroughmuir to Watsonians.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:24 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:

As said before, the Aberdeen bid did not materialize because my club and another club did not merge in the end. I am personally glad as it would have probably meant the end of my club.

Aberdeen clubs are struggling with sponsorship since the downturn in the oil industry, so would have struggling to match the financial commitments I think.

Aberdeen playing numbers have also suffered because of it - lots of mid twenties/early thirties non-Aberdonian oil field employees laid off and moved away. this not only means current numbers depleted but also their young kids that made up the next generation.

Still not all bad - 5 teams going okay in the city and 5 or 6 playing just outside in the Shire where you can play at varying standards. Good youth sections at some of the clubs - especially those in "commuter" villages around the City.

Of course, as with a lot of clubs in Scotland, facilities are in need of upgrade and the SRU might be better placed to spend the millions of Super Six pounds on that.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:51 pm 

Super Six is a long way from being millions of pounds! I don't think the SRU is committing more than a million a year.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:04 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Sam Hidalgo Clyne off to the Scarlets

Terrible move for him and Edinburgh.

He goes from first pick to back up and Edinburgh lose their starter and dead eye goal kicker.

Yeah, can’t really see this working out well. We need him back on form, not warming a bench, and recently he has been really good.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 am 

I like haggis wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

You clearly have a lack of knowledge of the club game north of the central belt, not unsurprising as the SRU do as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am 

Well, I don't consider myself well placed to make judgements on who should have got a franchise etc. It is clear that geographically Glasgow and Aberdeen/Dundee are the big omissions here. But as pointed out - who exactly knows about the judging parameters of how the bids were submitted / received? Could it be - gasp - that the bids selected were the best bids received?

The good thing is that there is a structure in place, that there are 6 strong looking franchises, and that there is room for growth in the future for extra franchises etc. OK, Glasgow and the NE do not have (to an extent) participation in the initial 6 and the growth that comes with that, but I reckon this has a fair chance of succeeding if folk would get behind it.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:39 am 

Double

Last edited by I like haggis on Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:48 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

You clearly have a lack of knowledge of the club game north of the central belt, not unsurprising as the SRU do as well.

Swing and a miss I'm afraid Lorthern.

I'm from Dundee, I coached junior rugby actually for Dundee Eagles when at the High School. I played for Dundee Eagles until 14 when the team couldn't get 15 guys to play.

Even before this it was a struggle to get games - there was one other team in Dundee (Morgan) who rarely got a team together. Carnoustie folded early, played Stirling and Perthshire all the the purely for games. Played Grammar once or twice.

There's only Mayfield for rugby in Dundee infrastructure wise.

The SRU invest in junior rugby in the area, bring rugby to the schools. Make it more accessible and get kids playing and continuing to play. Ensure there are facilities and opposition there.

Not pay for a super six side where there's no interest in rugby. Pretty simple really.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:23 pm 

Amateur club rugby has taken a massive hit in numbers since the 90's some of the SRU's fault but a lot is down to rugby just being less popular and that is across the board not just in Dundee and Aberdeen.

Gordonians and Grammar used to regularly put out 4 teams every weekend with Shire sticking out 3 and the likes of Ellon easily putting out 2, that's before counting the likes of Wanderers, Mackie, Deeside, Garioch etc. Now they all struggle with 2 sides and the 1st XV quality is not close to the same as it used to be.

What you are missing is that the kids need a big team in the area to look up to and that drags them in as they want to play. Grammar's youth section is in real trouble with the new rules being imposed that the kids have to choose school or club, when the majority of the kids come from Robert Gordon's they are not going to have a youth section soon not to mention the Scottish Government fecking them all up with the new rates regime and sports clubs no longer being exempt.

The nearest Super 6 side for any kids in Aberdeen or Dundee is now Stirling ffs, same would go for the kids up in Inverness/Elgin etc playing for the likes of Highland and there is no Pro rugby as that is in Edinburgh and Glasgow so where is the aspiration for the kids at a local level coming from, it doesn't happen by magic. Those of us lucky enough to play in the 90's and earlier would play against the internationals so had access to seeing the stars of the day and the local kids could see them as well

Without having seen the bids i can only assume Dundee's must have been piss poor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:02 pm 

I understand, but from what the SRU have said the super six isn't about increasing participation levels.

It's more improving what we already have and bridging the gap to pro rugby.

You'd do well to get consistent fixtures in Dundee and Aberdeen at any level and that's where the money is needed. You need to have the kids playing before you worry about who they look up to.

It's no surprise Stirling's bid was better than Dundee's as Stirling has good facilities and consistently strong teams at every level and community backing. None of which Dundee has.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:16 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
I'm from Dundee

Everything makes sense now :P

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
I understand, but from what the SRU have said the super six isn't about increasing participation levels.

You'd do well to get consistent fixtures in Dundee and Aberdeen at any level and that's where the money is needed. You need to have the kids playing before you worry about who they look up to.

It's no surprise Stirling's bid was better than Dundee's as Stirling has good facilities and consistently strong teams at every level and community backing. None of which Dundee has.

Consistent fixtures?

National leagues:

Dundee High and Grammar are in Div 1

Kirkcaldy have just won Div 2 with Howe also being in Div 2

Gordonians, Perthshire with at a push Highland and Orkney in Div 3

Don't know what's happened to Glenrothes but they used to be an ok side as well, assume they have just had a temp dip or had a bit of an implosion like Ellon and Aberdeenshire which unfortunately all seems too common these days across the whole country.

Plenty of sides with consistent fixtures.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:58 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Consistent fixtures?

National leagues:

Don't know what's happened to Glenrothes but they used to be an ok side as well, assume they have just had a temp dip or had a bit of an implosion like Ellon and Aberdeenshire which unfortunately all seems too common these days across the whole country.

Not at youth level which is where you need consistent fixtures. With the super six teams (except maybe Boroughmuir) they're already paying players and will have a base of guys ready for semi pro. Dundee would've had to change their team structure entirely.

There's 6 clubs in the youth club conference on the SRU website and looking at results there's been more than a couple of cancellations. The focus needs to be on kids in Dundee and Aberdeen not super six. It's locking the gate when the horse has bolted. I'm glad strong community clubs have got the franchises with existing good infrastructure and sensible partnerships.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Consistent fixtures?

National leagues:

Not at youth level which is where you need consistent fixtures. With the super six teams (except maybe Boroughmuir) they're already paying players and will have a base of guys ready for semi pro. Dundee would've had to change their team structure entirely.

There's 6 clubs in the youth club conference on the SRU website and looking at results there's been more than a couple of cancellations. The focus needs to be on kids in Dundee and Aberdeen not super six. It's locking the gate when the horse has bolted. I'm glad strong community clubs have got the franchises with existing good infrastructure and sensible partnerships.

And you just said you’d do well to get consistent fixtures at any level and are busy rowing that back to youth level.

You’re all over the place, the youth will not come if there is not an obvious pathway to success, which up here there isn’t. Aspiring players for top level rugby will not bother coming to uni up in Aberdeen or Dundee as there is not a team to play for, it’s terribly short-sighted and I can only assume the Dundee bid was pish.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:05 pm 

It's no coincidence the young Scottish representative teams are mainly made up of Edinburgh kids, English kids and then Stirling/Borders etc. They have the best facilities - has nothing to do with an empty Murrayfield watching the aspirational Edinburgh.

I maintain unless playing at the standard of first xv Dundee high team in Dundee an average player who wants a couple games and drinks after couldn't get consistent rugby. There's a very poor set up and this is first hand experience backed up by the playing numbers.

The SRU have made too many errors with rugby north of the central belt. However, the antidote isn't a poorly backed semi pro side but consistent investment in schools and touch. In my opinion of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:42 am 

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/05 ... cap-career

Timbo has retired from International duty.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:46 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/05/02/visser-calls-time-cap-career

Timbo has retired from International duty.

That seems a bit odd. He is only 30 and whilst I have no doubt he was disappointed not to get more games recently, you'd think he was still in with a chance.

Having said that I have not seen Quins in yonks so he could be playing like a drain and wants to get his form back.

But what a great servant he was for Edinburgh until the Solomons era when he lost interest for very good reasons.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:49 pm 

He was generally utter shite for Scotland, so meh.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:57 pm 

slick wrote:

Aye, that many tries is a pretty standard result for our wingers right enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:03 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
slick wrote:

Almost all his tries were against crap teams. How many did he concede with his Taranaki girls U9 tackling.

I actually thought his best games have been in the last couple of seasons so a bit surprised he has called it a day.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:45 pm 

slick wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
slick wrote:

Almost all his tries were against crap teams. How many did he concede with his Taranaki girls U9 tackling.

I actually thought his best games have been in the last couple of seasons so a bit surprised he has called it a day.

Wee bit harsh. 13 international tries. 5 v top tier (2 v NZ, 2 v France, 1 v Wales). 4 v Italy. Others v Fiji and USA. That isn’t ‘almost all’ even if you classify Italy as crap (which they currently are but they still nearly beat us).

Odd timing TBH. He hasn’t been first pick recently but we don’t have loads of good wingers and I’d have expected him to make our RWC squad.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:28 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
slick wrote:

Wee bit harsh. 13 international tries. 5 v top tier (2 v NZ, 2 v France, 1 v Wales). 4 v Italy. Others v Fiji and USA. That isn’t ‘almost all’ even if you classify Italy as crap (which they currently are but they still nearly beat us).

Odd timing TBH. He hasn’t been first pick recently but we don’t have loads of good wingers and I’d have expected him to make our RWC squad.

Yeah, fair enough. Still a fanny though.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:27 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
slick wrote:

He's just signed a new deal at Quins. Almost certainly connected to this.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:27 pm 

slick wrote:

Yeah, fair enough. Still a fanny though.

Being a fanny doesn't stop you being a good rugby player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:06 pm 

Next season’s PRO14 final to be played at Celtic Park, according to the BBC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 543, 544, 545, 546, 547, 548, 549 ... 559  Next