Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551 ... 559  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44040396

Heathcote leaving Worcester. Will be interesting to see where he goes. If he does a Leonard and drops down a level to get a game, I doubt we’ll hear much more of him.

Also see Isaac Miller has signed for them from Scottish. Can’t recall seeing him play, but will be good to increase the options at hooker.

"Heathcote has missed large parts of the last two seasons following numerous concussion injuries".

Doesn't sound good.

Had the same thought.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:42 pm 

slick wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
BREAKING | Road to Rugby World Cup 2019 confirmed.

Scotland will face France and Georgia next summer (home + away), becoming the first Tier 1 nation to face The Lelos on home soil.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/05 ... -confirmed

Away trip to Tblisi :nod:

Oh, that sounds like a cracking idea!

This is the start, 7 nations here we come...

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:03 pm 

Summer tour squad ins and outs:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-7Yt

19 of the 33 players in the squad have fewer than 10 caps each.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:55 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
slick wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Scotland will face France and Georgia next summer (home + away), becoming the first Tier 1 nation to face The Lelos on home soil.

If they come close or win either of the games then I could see people taking the idea seriously.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:56 am 

slick wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Sounds like a bit of an effort to get there though. There are no direct flights from the UK.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
slick wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

If they come close or win either of the games then I could see people taking the idea seriously.

Will be the same as Italy, this will be the start of some games against the rest of us that will become regular and it is from there that a groundswell for their inclusion will become louder. For Italy's sake i hope they turn in more performances like they did against us this year or the mood will change to swapping Georgia for Italy which i personally dont want to see happen as Rome is a great away trip

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:19 am 

Redpath in the full England squad to tour SA. No Graham or Vellacott.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:20 am 

clydecloggie wrote:

Vellacott is training with them in Brighton though.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:38 am 

I like haggis wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

That'll be that then. Redpath by all accounts is being touted as a superstar in the making, although he still has some way to go to deliver on the promise I'm sure.

I do wonder if this sudden elevation signifies he was wavering - rumour is he has basically been offered a place in Scotland's WC squad. I'm not sure I believe that, but it does seem that we are chasing him hard.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 am 

I also notice Zach Mercer hasn't been selected - Scotland should go hard after him too if he is dropping back on their selection ladder - he's definitely a player. I don't think he has been capped (in squads, but hasn't played) and obviously he is a former youth international for Scotland. He could be that big number 8 we all want so badly!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:50 am 

Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

That'll be that then. Redpath by all accounts is being touted as a superstar in the making, although he still has some way to go to deliver on the promise I'm sure.

I do wonder if this sudden elevation signifies he was wavering - rumour is he has basically been offered a place in Scotland's WC squad. I'm not sure I believe that, but it does seem that we are chasing him hard.

Hope not. Saying to an 18 year old who's not started one sale game he's in our world cup squad would be ridiculous. No guarantee he's good enough and rubs current players the wrong way.

This tug of war is getting ridiculous. Part of me thihks Grah has been dropped because Jones realised we'd be more pissed off about Redpath.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:50 am 

Alba wrote:
I also notice Zach Mercer hasn't been selected - Scotland should go hard after him too if he is dropping back on their selection ladder - he's definitely a player. I don't think he has been capped (in squads, but hasn't played) and obviously he is a former youth international for Scotland. He could be that big number 8 we all want so badly!

Is he even SQ? His parents are kiwi, pretty sure he qualified on residency?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

I have no evidence, but I presume the fact he played U16 for us means he qualifies?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:14 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Hope not. Saying to an 18 year old who's not started one sale game he's in our world cup squad would be ridiculous. No guarantee he's good enough and rubs current players the wrong way.

This tug of war is getting ridiculous. Part of me thihks Grah has been dropped because Jones realised we'd be more pissed off about Redpath.

No more ridiculous than calling the same 18-year-old who hasn’t started a game for Sale into a full international touring squad. He’s there to send a message to the SRU, because it will annoy us, and (which I honestly wouldn’t put past Eddie Jones) potentially to give him a 90-second cameo cap to deny him to Scotland for ever.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:14 am 

Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

I have no evidence, but I presume the fact he played U16 for us means he qualifies?

Not a capped age grade and he won't have 3 years consecutive residency. Would need a Scottish grandparent or parent which I'm not sure he has.

Would make sense the SRU dropped him when he signed with the Bath academy as would've meant he would no longer be qualified.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:16 am 

Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

He went to Merchiston while his Dad was working up in Scotland so qualified on residency.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:11 pm 

Daily Heil apparently has George Horne stating that he would fight any move by the SRU to move him to Edinburgh.

My guess is that Cockers prefers him to Henry and Price and has requested his presence; but for me just wouldn't make sense for him to go given where he is in his development. Reckon it should be Price or Pyrgos.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:40 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Daily Heil apparently has George Horne stating that he would fight any move by the SRU to move him to Edinburgh.

My guess is that Cockers prefers him to Henry and Price and has requested his presence; but for me just wouldn't make sense for him to go given where he is in his development. Reckon it should be Price or Pyrgos.

The chat on social media over the weekend was that it's Price that's moving and it is due to be announced this week. But there was also talk about a SH coming over from NZ as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:58 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

The chat on social media over the weekend was that it's Price that's moving and it is due to be announced this week. But there was also talk about a SH coming over from NZ as well.

Probably a good move all round. Pyrgos is somewhat a loyal servant to Glasgow. Price has gone a bit flat after his breakthrough year so could do with some time being whipped into shape by Cockers. Plus gives Horne more game time. Win Win.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:26 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Probably a good move all round. Pyrgos is somewhat a loyal servant to Glasgow. Price has gone a bit flat after his breakthrough year so could do with some time being whipped into shape by Cockers. Plus gives Horne more game time. Win Win.

If I was Rennie and had to lose one then I’d prefer the balance of Pyrgos plus Horne or Price than to lose Pyrgos and have two very similar young players. I’d take Horne over Price every time.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:30 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

Not a capped age grade and he won't have 3 years consecutive residency. Would need a Scottish grandparent or parent which I'm not sure he has.

Would make sense the SRU dropped him when he signed with the Bath academy as would've meant he would no longer be qualified.

This Scotsman article suggests that wasn’t the reason and that Scotland could have still selected him after he moved. Not sure what that means now.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... -1-4665609

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:39 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

This Scotsman article suggests that wasn’t the reason and that Scotland could have still selected him after he moved. Not sure what that means now.

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me as if the SRU concluded he was no longer eligible when he moved to Bath. That's a real shame, I had no idea he wanted to continue to play for our underage squads - I had always thought he moved here in his early/mid teens for three or four years, not when he was at primary school, and that Scotland representation was a matter of convenience rather than anything else.

The eligibility actually seems a bit of a gray area, the explanatory guidelines of reg 8 say:

Quote:
For the avoidance of any doubt, seeking to rely on short periods of Residence as a child in a particular country, combined with a short period of Residence in that same country prior to playing for a Union, is likely to create a link that would be too tenuous to satisfy the underlying intentions of establishing a contemporary, permanent, national link with a Union. However, each case will be assessed on its overall merits to establish if a Player is able to demonstrate a genuine, close, credible and established national link by reference to the amount of time the Player can demonstrate that he has treated the “new” country as his home and other relevant factors.

That suggests that although, by the rules, he is ineligible, if he could convince World Rugby they could deem him eligible. The fact he lived here ten years, was schooled largely here and represented us at U16s would certainly seem a strong case...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

No more ridiculous than calling the same 18-year-old who hasn’t started a game for Sale into a full international touring squad. He’s there to send a message to the SRU, because it will annoy us, and (which I honestly wouldn’t put past Eddie Jones) potentially to give him a 90-second cameo cap to deny him to Scotland for ever.

Does it annoy us? He's French both and has spent most of his life in England. He was only what 17 when he last played age grade for Scotland?

It's understandable that he would want to play for England imo.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:41 pm 

Alba wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me as if the SRU concluded he was no longer eligible when he moved to Bath. That's a real shame, I had no idea he wanted to continue to play for our underage squads - I had always thought he moved here in his early/mid teens for three or four years, not when he was at primary school, and that Scotland representation was a matter of convenience rather than anything else.

The eligibility actually seems a bit of a gray area, the explanatory guidelines of reg 8 say:

Quote:
For the avoidance of any doubt, seeking to rely on short periods of Residence as a child in a particular country, combined with a short period of Residence in that same country prior to playing for a Union, is likely to create a link that would be too tenuous to satisfy the underlying intentions of establishing a contemporary, permanent, national link with a Union. However, each case will be assessed on its overall merits to establish if a Player is able to demonstrate a genuine, close, credible and established national link by reference to the amount of time the Player can demonstrate that he has treated the “new” country as his home and other relevant factors.

That suggests that although, by the rules, he is ineligible, if he could convince World Rugby they could deem him eligible. The fact he lived here ten years, was schooled largely here and represented us at U16s would certainly seem a strong case...

Update to the eligibility regs last year created a new category - 10 years cumulative residency qualifies a player. So if he has the full ten years up here while he was at school he would be eligible for Scotland.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:15 pm 

Under 20s got spanked 52-14 by Ireland. Is it exaggeration to be seriously worried about relegation?

Incredible result against England aside this team just gets heavily beaten everytime they play!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Under 20s got spanked 52-14 by Ireland. Is it exaggeration to be seriously worried about relegation?

Incredible result against England aside this team just gets heavily beaten everytime they play!

We were fifth in the World Cup last year, let’s not get over excited.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Alba wrote:

He was still at Merchie when he joined the Bath Academy and played for England U18.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:55 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Completely different squad (only McDowell played any games for them last year). I think they got one humping in the six nations rather than 3 too.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:08 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Completely different squad (only McDowell played any games for them last year). I think they got one humping in the six nations rather than 3 too.

That’s sort of the point, surely? Our player pool is very shallow and success at age-group level is ephemeral. I’ve been delighted at how competitive the U20 side has been recently, but the usual reality is that we take a lot of beatings.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm 

I see Dunbar's not involved again (at all) for the Weegies v Scarlets. Johnson and Grigg in the midfield.

Is Sam Johnson not available for the summer tour? Or does he qualify in Autumn?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

That’s sort of the point, surely? Our player pool is very shallow and success at age-group level is ephemeral. I’ve been delighted at how competitive the U20 side has been recently, but the usual reality is that we take a lot of beatings.

Yeah but we would have to lose to Italy, Argentina and England (who, incidentally we beat in the 6Ns). Then we'd have to lose to one of (probably) Japan, Argentina, Georgia or similar, and then lose to one of them again. Also, similar things about different squads were said in recent years after finishing 8th in 2015 & 8th in 2016, which were our previous best results before being 5th last year.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
I see Dunbar's not involved again (at all) for the Weegies v Scarlets. Johnson and Grigg in the midfield.

His contract with Glasgow started in May 2015, so presumably he is now qualified (or will be within the next couple of weeks).

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:18 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:

The team:

15. Stuart Hogg, 14. Tommy Seymour, 13. Nick Grigg, 12. Sam Johnson, 11. DTH van der Merwe, 10. Finn Russell, 9. George Horne, 1. Jamie Bhatti, 2. Fraser Brown, 3. Zander Fagerson, 4. Tim Swinson, 5. Jonny Gray, 6. Matt Fagerson, 7. Callum Gibbins, 8. Ryan Wilson (capt).

Replacements: 16. George Turner, 17. Alex Allan, 18. Siua Halanukonuka, 19. Rob Harley, 20. Chris Fusaro, 21. Henry Pyrgos, 22. Pete Horne, 23. Ruaridh Jackson.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:32 pm 

Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

His contract with Glasgow started in May 2015, so presumably he is now qualified (or will be within the next couple of weeks).

Not according to the guru, didn’t move till summer so not available for tour (or if he is half way through). Likely November or sevens to cap him.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:41 pm 

frillage wrote:
Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Not according to the guru, didn’t move till summer so not available for tour (or if he is half way through). Likely November or sevens to cap him.

My source was wikipedia - never the most reliable! The deal was announced in April 2015, but it may well be that contracts did not commence until they arrived, which may have been late summer.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:49 pm 

Match preview for Glasgow v Scarlets...

https://wp.me/p68WtH-7YS

...and the 2 sides head to head for some key team stats:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-7YH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:11 pm 

If, as it looks like, TunnelBear is now goosed, does anyone have a nice URL where...my friend..who's currently in The Netherlands could pick up the Glasgow v Scarlets live stream tonight?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 pm 

Glasgow playing utterly brainless shite

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:57 pm 

Glasgow have been gash. Lacey is useless but it's not excuse. Spare a thought for me watching on BBC Wales. It's excruciating. They make Jiffy sound impartial.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:18 pm 

This has been rank and I really wanted Glasgow to win. However, I'm looking forward to Edinburgh being the number one Scottish force in Pro 14 next season. And the meltdown from the Glasgow fans.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551 ... 559  Next