Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 634, 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640 ... 705  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:11 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Thought only fair to note given he's been criticised enough in recent months, that Johnny Gray was brilliant v Leinster yesterday. Aggressive and tireless. Now, take that form into the play offs and World Cup please

Last weekend too, think that's two MOTM in a row.

I am a bit biased towards J Gray for some reason, nice to see him put in a couple excellent shifts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:12 am 

Troll wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Biggest referee bottle crash ever in the final of the 7s Challenge Cup. Straight punch to the face, ref tells touch judge red card then pulls out a yellow at the last minute. :x

It was an open palm pissy slap, fine.

Worse was the time keeping of the yellow.

Lost because of stupid penalties and shite restarts.

Not a great punch, but it was still a strike to the face. Red just about every day. What was bizarre was the way he said red and then pulled yellow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:36 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Troll wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Biggest referee bottle crash ever in the final of the 7s Challenge Cup. Straight punch to the face, ref tells touch judge red card then pulls out a yellow at the last minute. :x

It was an open palm pissy slap, fine.

Worse was the time keeping of the yellow.

Lost because of stupid penalties and shite restarts.

Not a great punch, but it was still a strike to the face. Red just about every day. What was bizarre was the way he said red and then pulled yellow.

The AR muttered something indiscernible, might have been that. Maybe the TMO gave some input and they didn't have the channel feeding through then.

Our tacklers' incessant rolling into the 9 despite being repeatedly pinged for it, was far more puzzling over the weekend for me! :(

Tough pool for Paris, England, NZ + 16th. Presume that will be Ireland.

Ed: Looks like it's London first up actually

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:31 pm 

Cheers TotM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:05 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Cheers TotM

Ffs don’t encourage him, his wife prefers it when he isn’t Baw deep in spreadsheets!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:07 pm 

Interested to see how the centre partnerships of the pro teams develop.

Glasgow with Johnson and Jones. So much potential here. Johnson looks great at the moment, and Jones certainly has it in him. I say this not completely buying that Jones has dropped off a cliff. His defence is actually quite solid and frailties there have been blown out of proportion. But he has been missing a bit of the attacking electricity, we'll see... my gut feel is telling me we'll see that back.

Edinburgh with Scott and Bennett. Felt very excited about this possibility when signings were being announced about a year ago. While not ready to write this partnership off by any means, I admit excitement is fading.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:57 pm 

C T wrote:

Glasgow with Johnson and Jones. So much potential here. Johnson looks great at the moment, and Jones certainly has it in him. I say this not completely buying that Jones has dropped off a cliff. His defence is actually quite solid and frailties there have been blown out of proportion. But he has been missing a bit of the attacking electricity, we'll see... my gut feel is telling me we'll see that back.

Edinburgh with Scott and Bennett. Felt very excited about this possibility when signings were being announced about a year ago. While not ready to write this partnership off by any means, I admit excitement is fading.

I guess Scott & Bennett need to be playing outside a better 9/10 combo to really show their stuff. Assuming they both still have stuff after their injury problems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
C T wrote:

I guess Scott & Bennett need to be playing outside a better 9/10 combo to really show their stuff. Assuming they both still have stuff after their injury problems.

Big assumption re Bennett whose had a horrendous run.

Scott also needs to slim down, I don't know why S&C decided he needed to look more like WP Nel than a centre.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
C T wrote:

Big assumption re Bennett whose had a horrendous run.

Scott also needs to slim down, I don't know why S&C decided he needed to look more like WP Nel than a centre.

Bennett was a really classy player at his best, one of the best in Europe on top form. I think it is fair to give him a fair run at getting his form back after so long out. How mny games has he had? Not more than half a dozen I would guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 pm 

Seems that Scott and Bennett both taking their time to get back into form. Agree they should be given the chance but too soon for the RWC I would think.

Embra have definitely been found wanting tactically now that Mata isn't smashing holes all over the shop. Looking like Challenge cup rugby next year :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:38 pm 

Smutley wrote:
Seems that Scott and Bennett both taking their time to get back into form. Agree they should be given the chance but too soon for the RWC I would think.

Embra have definitely been found wanting tactically now that Mata isn't smashing holes all over the shop. Looking like Challenge cup rugby next year :(

Bennett has done his ACL twice, for someone who relied on acceleration and stepping someone in tight spaces that's a real concern.

Challenge cup isn't good at all but Cockerill and Co need to use it as a development tool as others do. Shiel, Taylor, Academy lads starting every game, CHH captain etc. No point playing your internationals.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm 

Didn't know he'd done the same knee twice. :(( :((

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:42 pm 

Smutley wrote:

Pass to Mata was never going to be a good long term strategy. I'm not really clear what Edinburgh are right now stylistically. This is the next big challenge for Cockerill. When he came in, he couldn't really do any worse, and he did a good job of solidifying the team, and getting them into a position where they could challenge in most games with a mixture of aggressive forward play and individual brilliance. Now he has to define a style, an Edinburgh way of doing things and set that out right across the club from the academy up.

He could start by hiring a top class attack coach.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm 

Smutley wrote:

Next week, when the Edinburgh season is finished, I'd be tempted to pack him off to the sevens to get a bit of his attacking mojo back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:03 pm 

Alba wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Pass to Mata was never going to be a good long term strategy. I'm not really clear what Edinburgh are right now stylistically. This is the next big challenge for Cockerill. When he came in, he couldn't really do any worse, and he did a good job of solidifying the team, and getting them into a position where they could challenge in most games with a mixture of aggressive forward play and individual brilliance. Now he has to define a style, an Edinburgh way of doing things and set that out right across the club from the academy up.

He could start by hiring a top class attack coach.

He fell out with his attack coach at Tigers and got himself sacked...

Hodge isn't the man in charge of the attacking gameplan that's very forward oriented.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 pm 

Alba wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Next week, when the Edinburgh season is finished, I'd be tempted to pack him off to the sevens to get a bit of his attacking mojo back.

Not a bad shout. It could be a confidence thing and the open spaces could be an opportunity for him to test his leg without the fear of so much constant and heavy contact.

While not defending champs, sending a squad to try and regain the trophy would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am 

Not exactly rugby, but don’t recall such a high profile gangland execution in Edinburgh. Certainly not so central and visible.
Rumour is he was shot in front of his wife and kids.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 pm 

Bit of a deep dive into a record breaking day stats-wise for Glasgow away to Leinster. Of course there's Jonny's 43 but also:

- the top 5 tackling performances of the last 7 seasons all come from this game;
- the back who so nearly joined in the record breaking;
- the Glasgow game where the entire team only totalled 53 tackles;
- and why Jonny Gray is more effective than a condom...

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8c8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:39 am 

You have waaay too much spare time on your hands TOTM. And I’m very Glad about that :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:53 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
You have waaay too much spare time on your hands TOTM. And I’m very Glad about that :thumbup:

Ach who needs a life when there's rugby stats to be dealt with?!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:53 pm 

Excellent win for Scotland in the 6N under 18 festival over Ireland 42-40!
Ireland better in first half but Scotland deserved the win for the 2nd half performance - very disciplined at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:43 pm 

Lots of love for Adam Hastings' pass for Tommy Seymour's try against Leinster (understandably) but worth rewinding slightly to take in the 18 phases of hard graft that lead to that point. Heavy involvements from everyone in the pack in the kind of effort that is essential to break down the defences of the top teams.

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8cm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:20 am 

malky wrote:
Excellent win for Scotland in the 6N under 18 festival over Ireland 42-40!
Ireland better in first half but Scotland deserved the win for the 2nd half performance - very disciplined at the end.

Paterson slotted a last minute winning conversion I believe - I've missed that sentence!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 am 

topofthemoon wrote:
Lots of love for Adam Hastings' pass for Tommy Seymour's try against Leinster (understandably) but worth rewinding slightly to take in the 18 phases of hard graft that lead to that point. Heavy involvements from everyone in the pack in the kind of effort that is essential to break down the defences of the top teams.

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8cm

Agreed, it was a thing of beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:26 am 

frillage wrote:
Not exactly rugby, but don’t recall such a high profile gangland execution in Edinburgh. Certainly not so central and visible.
Rumour is he was shot in front of his wife and kids.

I know a couple of people who knew him from his Hibs Casuals days, all have nice things to say, but also that despite what the media are saying he never quite managed to get out of the gangland stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:48 pm 

Lee Jones' re-signing today takes Glasgow up to 40 names confirmed for next season. Quick look at the 2019/20 Depth Chart as things stand with a few guesses as to the remaining names to take the squad up to a full complement:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8cx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:40 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
Lee Jones' re-signing today takes Glasgow up to 40 names confirmed for next season. Quick look at the 2019/20 Depth Chart as things stand with a few guesses as to the remaining names to take the squad up to a full complement:

The addition of Aaron Cruden and Shaun Stevenson would elevate that squad for me from playoff contenders to title contenders. At the moment it is short on sparkle compared to previous years.

Can Glasgow dare to dream of both?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 pm 

Alba wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:

The addition of Aaron Cruden and Shaun Stevenson would elevate that squad for me from playoff contenders to title contenders. At the moment it is short on sparkle compared to previous years.

My thought was it was going to be Cruden for 2019/20 on a 1 year deal and then Stevenson (or someone of that illk) on a longer term deal from 2020/21. Cruden deal is sounding doubtful now though so I wonder where that leaves things?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:12 am 

topofthemoon wrote:

Looks pretty thin in some areas tbh. Might expect some short term SH contracts for cover consisting of nearly-but-not-quite World Cup players?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:27 am 

Just seen rumours on Twitter that Blade Thomson may be ready to make his comeback, six months after he was sidelined with concussion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:33 am 

Alba wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:

Are Glasgow in for Shaun Stevenson? I've been off work for a few weeks so haven't been spending as much time on here, so apologies if this has been discussed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:56 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:

Are Glasgow in for Shaun Stevenson? I've been off work for a few weeks so haven't been spending as much time on here, so apologies if this has been discussed.

Disco can probably say more, but it's been a bit of an on/off rumour for a while. A bit like Cruden, but with less persistence if that makes sense? I remember similar around Maitland for a good few years before he signed, so hopefully there is something to it. He's a very good player.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:57 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Just seen rumours on Twitter that Blade Thomson may be ready to make his comeback, six months after he was sidelined with concussion.

That's good news. Hopefully he lives up to the hype - plenty of people seem to have him as first choice 8 for the world cup, which seems a bit hasty.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:47 pm 

Alba wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

That's good news. Hopefully he lives up to the hype - plenty of people seem to have him as first choice 8 for the world cup, which seems a bit hasty.

He's on the bench tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:28 pm 

Jamie Ritchie frozen out at Embra atm. Is he injured? Gutting for the guy after what was a great 6n, putting his WC chances in jeopardy too potentially

Also Rennie's latest comments suggest he's off at the end of his contract in 2020 back down under, his wife is missing the grandkids.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:37 pm 

Dont think so but who are you going to drop?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:53 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:

I'm not offering solutions here, not sure you could drop any of them (though Mata has looked a bit underwhelming of late) - just pointing out that it's sh*t for him

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:35 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

I'm not offering solutions here, not sure you could drop any of them (though Mata has looked a bit underwhelming of late) - just pointing out that it's sh*t for him

I agree. It's great for embra to have that depth though, if not for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 pm 

Match preview for Glasgow v Edinburgh pt 3 - and given Ryan Wilson is on the bench in the trilogy this is clearly The Dark Knight Rises...

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8cA

- A new captain for Glasgow.
- The Warriors' bogey side back at Scotstoun.
- Too many milestones and 1872 Cup debuts to mention - just read the article! I guarantee there's stats and info in there that you will not get anywhere else...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:55 pm 

So, if i’m reading OTOTM on twitter correctly, Scarelts loss with a BP means Edinburgh are in the 4th place playoff as long as they manage 2 points themselves?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 634, 635, 636, 637, 638, 639, 640 ... 705  Next