Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645 ... 701  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:47 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Annoying how Ireland's cynicism seems to be targeted at Hogg. No chance Kearney was winning that ball he was 5cm off the ground right into Hogg.

If that'd been a red there couldn't have been too many complaints. Don't think it was a stonewall red at all, but Kearney never had it.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:48 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Annoying how Ireland's cynicism seems to be targeted at Hogg. No chance Kearney was winning that ball he was 5cm off the ground right into Hogg.

If that'd been a red there couldn't have been too many complaints. Don't think it was a stonewall red at all, but Kearney never had it.

Complaints from who? Leinster fans?

Kearney wasn't competing for the ball in anyone's estimation and ploughed through Hogg. Red.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:52 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Kearney wasn't competing for the ball in anyone's estimation and ploughed through Hogg. Red.

If you know how that particular law is implemented you would know that how the player in the air lands is of vital importance and decides the colour of the card.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:54 pm 

Apologies... Didn't realise the thread I was on.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:55 pm 

nardol wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

If you know how that particular law is implemented you would know that how the player in the air lands is of vital importance and decides the colour of the card.

It was a red, you can discuss your opinion all day on your Irish threads.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:05 pm 

Disappointing but not too many complaints.

As I said on the match thread though, the thought of Ireland playing that style (which they will) with Sexton at 10 (which they will) at the WC pleases me a lot.

Johnson was a bit average, I hope this isn’t a new thing where we have the best player in the world in a position for a year then they become average again.

Thinking ahead, Fagersons were great and, FFS, can we not just pick G Horne for Scotland and get on with it

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:13 pm 

slick wrote:

As I said on the match thread though, the thought of Ireland playing that style (which they will) with Sexton at 10 (which they will) at the WC pleases me a lot.

Johnson was a bit average, I hope this isn’t a new thing where we have the best player in the world in a position for a year then they become average again.

Thinking ahead, Fagersons were great and, FFS, can we not just pick G Horne for Scotland and get on with it

Henshaw and Ringrose were much better than Johnson and Steyn. Thought Jones was good when he got on.

Fwiw Scott Cummings has been a monster the last few weeks. Was good from the Fagersons too. I think Leinster shows Harley as what he is - great, but not the man for a test intensity battle.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 pm 

Well, I’m a Scottish rugby fan who also supports Hearts.

It’s fair to say I have had better days. x(

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:48 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
unionfan wrote:
A.Hastings so effing slow in making decision and way he blew not to pass Sam Johnson just mind blowing... two good kicks in first 20 mins and he went to shite

How gutted were you when he won young player of the year mate?

not gutted at all, was fan of him, good runner, but flakey under pressure

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
slick wrote:

Henshaw and Ringrose were much better than Johnson and Steyn. Thought Jones was good when he got on.

Fwiw Scott Cummings has been a monster the last few weeks. Was good from the Fagersons too. I think Leinster shows Harley as what he is - great, but not the man for a test intensity battle.

Never thought highly of Cummings but today he was a pick from Glasgow pack along with Fagerson Jr. Pity Frazer went down (think it was cheap shot on his knee) and the rest of the pack faded away.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:41 am 

Disappointing result, but for Warriors fans there is a lot to look forward to with this group. With the exception of Hogg (leaving), only Swinson and WDM are potential retirees from the top 23 over the next two years or so. This is a team hopefully about to reach its peak, with guys like Cummings, Hastings, McDowall and Fagerson (Jr) all starting to get into their stride.

Leinster obviously have one of the top academies in the world, but they also have a huge number of top class pros at the end of their careers; Cronin, Healy, Fardy, Toner, SOB, Sexton, Kearney. That’s the spine of their team and some top top players. Can their academy step up and replace that kind of quality all at once? I think they might have a few blip years post-WC just as Glasgow peak.

Last edited by Alba on Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:02 am 

Thought Cummings yesterday was brilliant, and Fagerson jnr too! Hope brown is alright, looked a nasty one and he looked gutted.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:19 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Thought Cummings yesterday was brilliant, and Fagerson jnr too! Hope brown is alright, looked a nasty one and he looked gutted.

He was icing up on the sideline which is hopeful but the scream was horrible.

Cummings would be really unfortunate not to be in the training squad. I've never seen Toolis play at the level Cummings has been lately. How's RGray going? Any Toulouse fans?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:29 pm 

Alba wrote:
Disappointing result, but for Warriors fans there is a lot to look forward to with this group. With the exception of Hogg (leaving), only Swinson and WDM are potential retirees from the top 23 over the next two years or so. This is a team hopefully about to reach its peak, with guys like Cummings, Hastings, McDowall and Fagerson (Jr) all starting to get into their stride.

Leinster obviously have one of the top academies in the world, but they also have a huge number of top class pros at the end of their careers; Cronin, Healy, Fardy, Toner, SOB, Sexton, Kearney. That’s the spine of their team and some top top players. Can their academy step up and replace that kind of quality all at once? I think they might have a few blip years post-WC just as Glasgow peak.

Briefly if you want a reply, a few kolpak players or Projects. There are very good centres and hookers of Leinster origin playing for Connacht etc.
Don't think we will ever get Carbery back, But Ross Byrnes younger brother Harry is a great prospect at outhalf so is Frawley.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:14 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Well, I’m a Scottish rugby fan who also supports Hearts.

It’s fair to say I have had better days. x(

Likewise.

And my horses still seem to be running too!!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:00 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

So Leinster waited for 66 minutes to "cynically take out" Glasgow's best player.
Not very good at cynicism, Leinster.
Try for the first 10 minutes next time.
(At least it would have saved Glasgow a block down try)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:43 am 

Pro 14 is gone. . .

It's been clear throughout this year that there is Glasgow and Leinster and quite a substantial gap toward Munster, Ulster and Edinburgh (the latter included because of their Euro exploits).

Glasgow's required recruitment is pretty obvious for me: back row; Edinburgh: half backs. Overall, not a bad year for club rugby but next year, the benchmark of progress would be a pro 14 title and/or Champ Cup semi; Edinburgh should ensure that they get back to the top table next year and should be aiming to win the Euro diddy cup.

The big surprise of the year for me was the total and absolute collapse of the Scarlets, that was very unexpected (but welcome). Benneton was a bit of surprise as well and it remains to be seen whether they can continue that form or whether it was just a one-off. For me, the 5 clubs mentioned in paragraph one the strongest sides in the tournament (recruitment pending) with Glasgow and Leinster some way in front.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:05 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
Pro 14 is gone. . .

It's been clear throughout this year that there is Glasgow and Leinster and quite a substantial gap toward Munster, Ulster and Edinburgh (the latter included because of their Euro exploits).

Glasgow's required recruitment is pretty obvious for me: back row; Edinburgh: half backs. Overall, not a bad year for club rugby but next year, the benchmark of progress would be a pro 14 title and/or Champ Cup semi; Edinburgh should ensure that they get back to the top table next year and should be aiming to win the Euro diddy cup.

The big surprise of the year for me was the total and absolute collapse of the Scarlets, that was very unexpected (but welcome). Benneton was a bit of surprise as well and it remains to be seen whether they can continue that form or whether it was just a one-off. For me, the 5 clubs mentioned in paragraph one the strongest sides in the tournament (recruitment pending) with Glasgow and Leinster some way in front.

Ulster in particular seem to be recruiting very well, and have some top young players coming through. It wouldn't surprise me to see them make the final next year.

Overall I agree with your assessment of required recruitment, although Glasgow could do with one additional wing and a new full back too of course.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 am 

Trostan wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

So Leinster waited for 66 minutes to "cynically take out" Glasgow's best player.
Not very good at cynicism, Leinster.
Try for the first 10 minutes next time.
(At least it would have saved Glasgow a block down try)

:lol: worst post I've ever read.

See yourself back to the Irish forum, I hope you make it there safely.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:16 am 

Caley_Red wrote:
Pro 14 is gone. . .
Edinburgh should ensure that they get back to the top table next year and should be aiming to win the Euro diddy cup.

The league has to be the number 1 priority next year. This season has shown that Edinburgh don't have the strength in depth that is needed for a euro run and a league run. The defeats that killed the season; Zebre, dragons, Cardiff, kings and Benneton away were all loses with a lot of the "1's" not playing. The international players were on their knees at the end of the season because they had played so much and there is no need for them to play the diddy cup especially off the back of a world cup campaign.

The only benefit of Edinburgh screwing up the league is that some potentially key players should be well rested and over any niggles.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:38 am 

What Saturday showed was that teams who are used to winning find ways to win. And those that aren't used to winning still find ways to lose.

Other than the obvious charge down. Two key points in the game that a Leinster/Sarries/Exeter probably would have came away with points. Unfortunately both from young Hastings and he must learn from them.

Firstly, just pass the damn ball and let those outside you score.

Secondly, earlier in the season against Sarries at the end of the game Glasgow were in drop goal/easy penalty range (should one be won) to get a BP and tried to fling it wide and came away with nothing. On Saturday with the half time clock "red" they were in a position where a drop goal or penalty would have closed the gap to 15-13 but Hastings throws a long looping pass and the winger gets easily bundled into touch.

The teams used to winning big games don't make those mistakes as often as other teams.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 am 

https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/cumm ... ning-squad

Final two spots in the training squad go to Cummings and Steyn. Personally I’m gobsmacked that Toony is shutting the door in Richie Gray’s face. Cummings has lots of potential, but for me Richie and Jonny are our strongest pairing.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am 

Big D wrote:
What Saturday showed was that teams who are used to winning find ways to win. And those that aren't used to winning still find ways to lose.

Other than the obvious charge down. Two key points in the game that a Leinster/Sarries/Exeter probably would have came away with points. Unfortunately both from young Hastings and he must learn from them.

Secondly, earlier in the season against Sarries at the end of the game Glasgow were in drop goal/easy penalty range (should one be won) to get a BP and tried to fling it wide and came away with nothing. On Saturday with the half time clock "red" they were in a position where a drop goal or penalty would have closed the gap to 15-13 but Hastings throws a long looping pass and the winger gets easily bundled into touch.

The teams used to winning big games don't make those mistakes as often as other teams.

Hard to say easy drop goal when I don't think Hastings has scored a drop goal in pro rugby.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/cummings-and-steyn-added-to-world-cup-training-squad

Final two spots in the training squad go to Cummings and Steyn. Personally I’m gobsmacked that Toony is shutting the door in Richie Gray’s face. Cummings has lots of potential, but for me Richie and Jonny are our strongest pairing.

Very odd. He potentially has another 4 years in him too, he's still (somewhat unbelievably) still only 29.

In other news, I have no idea of the level, but the U20s thrashed Old Glory DC last night, 10 tries in a 7-70 win.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:12 am 

Big D wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Pro 14 is gone. . .
Edinburgh should ensure that they get back to the top table next year and should be aiming to win the Euro diddy cup.

The league has to be the number 1 priority next year. This season has shown that Edinburgh don't have the strength in depth that is needed for a euro run and a league run. The defeats that killed the season; Zebre, dragons, Cardiff, kings and Benneton away were all loses with a lot of the "1's" not playing. The international players were on their knees at the end of the season because they had played so much and there is no need for them to play the diddy cup especially off the back of a world cup campaign.

The only benefit of Edinburgh screwing up the league is that some potentially key players should be well rested and over any niggles.

Next season is going to be a weird one. In between RWC, 6N and Heineken Cup runs, the Pro14 conference standings will probably be decided by who's got the best second XV. If rumours of the rejig are true that would see Glasgow and Leinster end up in the same conference, a path to the final for Glasgow would probably include a trip to Thomond Park in the semis. And as yet they haven't got a full back that can play the Hogg role to the required standard (i.e., about 10% below actual Hogg level).

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:43 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:

Hard to say easy drop goal when I don't think Hastings has scored a drop goal in pro rugby.

Winning a penalty would have perhaps have been the more likely of the two outcomes but a pro 10 or even Hogg should, if necessary been able to have an attempt. It is an are Russell clearly needs to work on too.

In that situation the thoughts should have been coming away with points, not trying very low percentage plays like a looping pass to a winger on the touchline. Whether it was an attempted drop goal, winning a penalty or scoring a try through developing a far better opportunity, good teams who are used to winning don't make those mistakes very often.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:49 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/cummings-and-steyn-added-to-world-cup-training-squad

I think reducing it to Cummings v Gray was daft in the 1st place. In reality there is very little difference to a 42 or 43 man squad especially as both have the potential to force his way into the 31.

I wonder if Gray and his agent will be floating the question to Toulouse about his worth should he retire from international rugby.

He is still only 30 this year but another world cup is unlikely, he already has 60 odd caps and a lions tour under his belt so why not maximise any potential earnings.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 am 

Big D wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:

Winning a penalty would have perhaps have been the more likely of the two outcomes but a pro 10 or even Hogg should, if necessary been able to have an attempt. It is an are Russell clearly needs to work on too.

In that situation the thoughts should have been coming away with points, not trying very low percentage plays like a looping pass to a winger on the touchline. Whether it was an attempted drop goal, winning a penalty or scoring a try through developing a far better opportunity, good teams who are used to winning don't make those mistakes very often.

I agree but Leinster realise that it's the redzone and the penalities bare lockable so will be focusing on discipline and structure. They're with Sarries as the best at that.

I don't think drop goals are easy as claimed, Biggar missed one at the weekend. I think the reason they've gone from the game is it's hard to set up and execute. But could be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:44 am 

Big D wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

I think reducing it to Cummings v Gray was daft in the 1st place. In reality there is very little difference to a 42 or 43 man squad especially as both have the potential to force his way into the 31.

I wonder if Gray and his agent will be floating the question to Toulouse about his worth should he retire from international rugby.

He is still only 30 this year but another world cup is unlikely, he already has 60 odd caps and a lions tour under his belt so why not maximise any potential earnings.

Toulouse would do well to then point out his injuries.

Cummings I guess fits Toonieball better than Ritchie but in my opinion Gray is the best lock we had. Would rather them both than Toolis but that's life I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:53 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Cummings I guess fits Toonieball better than Ritchie but in my opinion Gray is the best lock we had. Would rather them both than Toolis but that's life I guess.

Still time for Gray yet. 40 mins game time in last 3 weeks is not that great though.

Sign of great depth when a player of his ilk is fighting for selection.

With Brown looking like he might be out though the old hooker position starts to become squeaky bum time again! :uhoh:

Re Steyn - Think he'll struggle to make the final squad as Toonie sees him as more of a wing than a centre.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:01 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
I don't think drop goals are easy as claimed, Biggar missed one at the weekend. I think the reason they've gone from the game is it's hard to set up and execute. But could be wrong.

Not saying they are easy but it was an example of where the teams who consistently win things (Sarries, Leinster, the old Munster) step up and at the key points come away with something (penalty/3 points/well worked try) not a floaty pass that sees the winger bundled into touch. Glasgow do great in the Pro 14 regular season, but a little more game awareness in Europe and the play offs could help take them to the next level.

In a world cup where winning a losing bonus point, or stopping an opponent earning a losing BP could make a difference it could be important to have a plan to grind a 3 point opportunity. In the Glasgow v Sarries example Glasgow couldn't win the game at that point, if Scotland are in a similar position v Ireland (say down 9 with the clock red for full time) there needs to be a pattern of play that is aimed at getting a 3 point opportunity.

I like haggis wrote:

Of course they would, that is how negotiations work. But if Gray and his agent went and offered to retire from international rugby for say an extra wee sum then Toulouse may go for it. A "new" 3 year deal could suit all parties.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:03 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Still time for Gray yet. 40 mins game time in last 3 weeks is not that great though.

With Brown looking like he might be out though the old hooker position starts to become squeaky bum time again! :uhoh:

Re Steyn - Think he'll struggle to make the final squad as Toonie sees him as more of a wing than a centre.

Has there been any update on Fraser Brown? There’s still 4 months until the RWC kicks off...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Big D wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:

Has there been any update on Fraser Brown? There’s still 4 months until the RWC kicks off...

no update yet afaik

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:47 pm 

Does anyone remember when the world cup kit was released last time?

Quite fancy getting a new top, not a huge fan of our current one.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:14 am 

Thought I'd post this in here as well as in the Rennie thread, taken form today's Australian:

Quote:
New Zealander Dave Rennie is firming as favourite to take over the Wallabies head coaching job from Michael Cheika following the World Cup in Japan in September-October, though rumours of an imminent announcement appear wide of the mark.

The Rugby Australia board meets in Sydney on Friday but there is no intention to discuss the Wallabies coaching position and certainly no appointment could be made until the directors have signed off on it.

The 55-year-old, who coached the Chiefs to their first two Super Rugby titles in 2012 and 2013, is understood to be highly regarded by RA’s new director of rugby, Scott Johnson, who until recently worked with him in the Scottish system.

Rennie was in line to succeed Steve Hansen as All Blacks coach but, with New Zealand Rugby intent on appointing a coach before Christmas following a “quick but thorough” review of their World Cup campaign, he apparently ruled himself out by signing a one-year extension with Glasgow Warriors that will take him through to the middle of next year.

At the time of re-signing with Glasgow, who lost to Leinster in the Pro14 final 18-15 on the weekend, Rennie strongly suggested countries such as NZ and Australia would not be interested in him because he would not be available for another 18 months but that does not appear to be an issue for RA. It is seemingly prepared to wait for Rennie — or other possible contenders — to arrive in May-June next year, much as Robbie Deans did not arrive to take up the Wallabies coaching position until June 2008, after he had taken the Crusaders to another Super Rugby title.

There has been some suggestion Australia will defer its coaching appointment until after the All Blacks have appointed Hansen’s replacement following the World Cup, then pounce on one of the losing candidates. The general expectation is that if New Zealand wins a third successive Cup, the All Blacks coaching appointment will be internal — almost certainly assistant coach Ian Foster. But if another country wins, an “external” coach such as Warren Gatland would come seriously into play.

While there is some logic in waiting, snapping up New Zealand’s discards is an uncomfortable look. Although Deans never viewed his Wallabies job in this light, it was often hinted that he viewed coaching Australia as a consolation prize until the All Blacks job opened up.

It’s possible that by waiting, a Gatland or a Foster could drop into the Wallabies’ lap in November but if that plan came unglued in any way, Australia could be left scrounging for a head coach at a time when almost all the quality candidates had been snapped up.

But even if an appointment is made shortly, RA will be reluctant to make it public given Cheika has indicated he would stay on only if the Wallabies win the Cup. That’s regarded as optimistic in the extreme, but RA can hardly go shooting that prospect down by announcing his replacement before the tournament even begins.

Jockeying for positions in the 31-man Wallabies Cup squad is intensifying and it would be difficult to imagine Rebels five-eighth Quade Cooper could earn a place if he is comprehensively outplayed for a second time this season by the Tahs’ Bernard Foley in Melbourne on Friday. Cheika has stayed out of the way of the Super Rugby coaches but now Queensland are out of the finals race, former Australian coach John Connolly believes he must intervene in the Reds’ selections to play the Jaguares on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium to ensure Lukhan Salakaia-Loto is picked in the position for which he is being groomed for the World Cup, blindside flanker.

All indications are that Reds coach Brad Thorn will choose him instead in the second row to replace Izack Rodda, who is overdue for a Wallabies rotation. But Connolly is adamant Salakaia-Loto must be given further experience at No 6, especially since Harry Hockings is returning from suspension and could easily partner Angus Blyth in the second row.

“The backrow has been Australia’s achilles heel for several years but now, with Salakaia-Loto at blindside flanker and Isi Naisarani at No 8, it’s possible for Cheika to finally pick between David Pocock and Michael Hooper at openside flanker,” Connolly said.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:33 am 

I have to admit I've had my moments of doubt on Rennie, but the way he has Glasgow playing now is probably the best I've seen them. I think he would be a really big loss for Scottish Rugby.

If they've 18 months to find a replacement, that might be one silver lining though. Another top class coach needed as I don't think there is currently a Scottish coach of the required caliber (nor will there be in 18 months).

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:43 am 

Alba wrote:
I have to admit I've had my moments of doubt on Rennie, but the way he has Glasgow playing now is probably the best I've seen them. I think he would be a really big loss for Scottish Rugby.

If they've 18 months to find a replacement, that might be one silver lining though. Another top class coach needed as I don't think there is currently a Scottish coach of the required caliber (nor will there be in 18 months).

If they want him and he wants to go then he should leave sooner rather than later. The long goodbyes are a nonsense. Let a new coach come in and start getting the squad playing his way and let him (or her in the highly unlikely event it is a woman) be fully bought into recruitment for the 2020/21 season.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 am 

Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:

If they want him and he wants to go then he should leave sooner rather than later. The long goodbyes are a nonsense. Let a new coach come in and start getting the squad playing his way and let him (or her in the highly unlikely event it is a woman) be fully bought into recruitment for the 2020/21 season.

what? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:26 am 

Alba wrote:

Agree. His wife misses the fam in NZ though, so his departure looks inevitable. Shame, 2-4 years more at Scotstoun then take over from Toonie at Scotland would be great but just doesn't look likely.

The much derided Johnson did bring in his fair share of top class coaching appointments.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:50 am 

slick wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:

what? :lol:

Just did some mandatory equality training at work :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28025 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 639, 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645 ... 701  Next