Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646 ... 704  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:56 am 

Big D wrote:
slick wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:
I have to admit I've had my moments of doubt on Rennie, but the way he has Glasgow playing now is probably the best I've seen them. I think he would be a really big loss for Scottish Rugby.

If they've 18 months to find a replacement, that might be one silver lining though. Another top class coach needed as I don't think there is currently a Scottish coach of the required caliber (nor will there be in 18 months).

If they want him and he wants to go then he should leave sooner rather than later. The long goodbyes are a nonsense. Let a new coach come in and start getting the squad playing his way and let him (or her in the highly unlikely event it is a woman) be fully bought into recruitment for the 2020/21 season.

what? :lol:

Just did some mandatory equality training at work :D

:lol: thought you had gone all Scottish government

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:28 am 

Big D wrote:
slick wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:
I have to admit I've had my moments of doubt on Rennie, but the way he has Glasgow playing now is probably the best I've seen them. I think he would be a really big loss for Scottish Rugby.

If they've 18 months to find a replacement, that might be one silver lining though. Another top class coach needed as I don't think there is currently a Scottish coach of the required caliber (nor will there be in 18 months).

If they want him and he wants to go then he should leave sooner rather than later. The long goodbyes are a nonsense. Let a new coach come in and start getting the squad playing his way and let him (or her in the highly unlikely event it is a woman) be fully bought into recruitment for the 2020/21 season.

If you qualify “her” by “in the highly unlikely event” your equality training did not go that well!!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:36 am 

frillage wrote:
Big D wrote:
slick wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:

If you qualify “her” by “in the highly unlikely event” your equality training did not go that well!!

Don't worry, I've reported him for transphobia as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:26 am 

frillage wrote:
Big D wrote:
slick wrote:
Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:

I have recognised the possibility, but the SRU aren't as forward thinking to be the 1st side to name a female coach. Although there aren't many, if any qualified.

On that note, given the woman national side have named another male coach, I do hope that eventually we will see woman on the level 4 courses as they work their way through the system. There are female officials at domestic grass root level but I don't think I have ever seen a female senior coach.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:58 pm 

This thread has taken a weird turn :lol:

Big D, was that mandatory company wide, or mandatory just for you, as those are different things :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:10 pm 

Alba wrote:
This thread has taken a weird turn :lol:

Big D, was that mandatory company wide, or mandatory just for you, as those are different things :roll:

Haha, yeah mandatory company wide.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 pm 

Anyone watch Old Glory against the U20s? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHA3p5L73Kc&t=6889s

They were rubbish. Lost 70-7 and were generally not at the races. Especially worrying is that the U20s largely dominated their scrum and lineout.

This is the shower the SRU are investing in. It is unclear what the players and coaches who will be sent over will get from it. For the payers, the standard does not look like Premiership let alone Super 6. The coaches could get the same experience at home.

The SRU also seem to have compromised the U20s preparation for the JRWC. Stopping off in Washington to play this game reduced training time in Scotland and delayed arrival in Argentina. And yet the match itself was not good preparation as Old Glory were just too poor.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:19 pm 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48475994

Apparently Edinburgh’s major signings now come pre-crocked. Which will save time and money, I suppose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Anyone watch Old Glory against the U20s? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHA3p5L73Kc&t=6889s

They were rubbish. Lost 70-7 and were generally not at the races. Especially worrying is that the U20s largely dominated their scrum and lineout.

This is the shower the SRU are investing in. It is unclear what the players and coaches who will be sent over will get from it. For the payers, the standard does not look like Premiership let alone Super 6. The coaches could get the same experience at home.

The SRU also seem to have compromised the U20s preparation for the JRWC. Stopping off in Washington to play this game reduced training time in Scotland and delayed arrival in Argentina. And yet the match itself was not good preparation as Old Glory were just too poor.

They're still 8 months away from.playing a proper game so I'm not sure how much can be judged on that match. Standard in MLR itself has seemed pretty decent. There's some handy enough players doing the rounds over there and the league seems to be an attractive prospect for North American international players and others. Old Glory will need to tap into that.

For the U20s I would have thought a hit out was what was needed just to stretch the legs and try a few things. Means they've been away together a bit longer which is maybe better than being in Scotland. They've arrived in Argentina the same day or 1 day after South Africa and ahead of New Zealand. In all likelihood it's going to come down to the 9th to 12th place playoff matches for Scotland so the pool games are almost the preparation just to ensure they can get at least 1 win from the final 2 games.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:46 am 

topofthemoon wrote:
For the U20s I would have thought a hit out was what was needed just to stretch the legs and try a few things. Means they've been away together a bit longer which is maybe better than being in Scotland. They've arrived in Argentina the same day or 1 day after South Africa and ahead of New Zealand. In all likelihood it's going to come down to the 9th to 12th place playoff matches for Scotland so the pool games are almost the preparation just to ensure they can get at least 1 win from the final 2 games.

I agree they needed a game, just not this one. They will have learned very little as they were getting away with things they just will not against better opposition. The second last try is a case in point. Both Lomond and Matt failed to draw the defence before passing, but Ollie Smith still beat the tackler to score. The same defender was able to drift across all three players and a decent player would not have missed the tackle.

Moves were sloppy because they had very little time together before they left. I have no idea what preparation the likes of New Zealand had before arrival, but the point is not so much when they arrive in Argentina, as what the do either side of it. More preparation here would have been useful (including playing more credible opposition) or more there. I just do not see this match as better than the alternatives.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:48 am 

Don’t underestimate the importance of getting in approx the right time one and jet lag out system

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:47 pm 

Tournament preview for the U20 Championship. TV coverage; Scotland's pool; how it all works; and what Scotland need to do to survive:

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2019/06/world-rugby-u20-championship-2019-tournament-preview/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:36 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
topofthemoon wrote:

I agree they needed a game, just not this one. They will have learned very little as they were getting away with things they just will not against better opposition. The second last try is a case in point. Both Lomond and Matt failed to draw the defence before passing, but Ollie Smith still beat the tackler to score. The same defender was able to drift across all three players and a decent player would not have missed the tackle.

Moves were sloppy because they had very little time together before they left. I have no idea what preparation the likes of New Zealand had before arrival, but the point is not so much when they arrive in Argentina, as what the do either side of it. More preparation here would have been useful (including playing more credible opposition) or more there. I just do not see this match as better than the alternatives.

NZ have beaten Fiji and Australia u20 recently so better than ours. Not that we'd beat them anyway.

Genuinely think we could get relegated this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:52 pm 

A look at the Scotland U20s squad for the World Rugby Championship in Argentina for the Scottish Rugby Blog.

Including the team announcement for tomorrow's opening fixture v South Africa and one to watch from each of the forwards and backs.

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2019/06/world-rugby-u20-championship-2019-scotland-squad/

Team to play South Africa on Tuesday 4th June at 2.30pm BST:

15. Matt Davidson
14. Rory McMichael
13. Cameron Anderson
12. Grant Hughes
11. Jack Blain
10. Ross Thompson
9. Roan Frostwick

1. Murphy Walker
2. Ewan Ashman
3. Euan McLaren
4. Ewan Johnson
5. Cameron Henderson
6. Marshall Sykes
7. Connor Boyle
8. Tom Marshall

Replacements: 16. Rory Jackson, 17. Andrew Nimmo, 18. Will Hurd, 19. Mak Wilson, 20. Ross Bundy, 21. Jack Hill, 22. Kwagga van Niekirk, 23. Murray Scott, 24. Teddy Leatherbarrow, 25. Nathan Chamberlain, 26. Robbie McCallum, 27. Ollie Smith, 28. Lomond MacPherson.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:57 am 

All shiny new rebrand!!!! Wooohooooooooo!!!

At least it's not gone the way of Edinburgh's estate agent rebrand.

I might even come to like it at some point. Could look decent on a hoodie.

Think there's any money left to...errr...buy a half-decent full-back?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 am 

I quite like it. It's better than the Lego castle we have.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:17 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:

Ahh, but can you turn it sideways to make an "E"?

I like it as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:26 am 

slick wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

I like it as well.

Nothing wrong with it and some of the hysterics over it are amusing. Think should have made it look more like a beard than mutton chops though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:13 pm 

The badge is no worse or better than the old one. The accompanying video was something else :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:14 pm 

frillage wrote:
slick wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

I like it as well.

Nothing wrong with it and some of the hysterics over it are amusing. Think should have made it look more like a beard than mutton chops though.

What beard? Those long flowing locks are perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:18 pm 

Anyone know anything about the player defections from Melrose to Hawick? Old man was saying a lot of lads pissed off at the whole Super 6 thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:24 pm 

U20s being battered for 35 minutes by South Africa but somehow only 17-12 behind at half-time.

Went into the SA 22 twice and got a try both times (second one a penalty try plus YC at 40 minutes so a man up for the first 10 in the second half). Most of the rest of the match was played in or near the Scottish 22 but great defence and some poor passing / handling from SA prevented a bigger scoreline.

Not sure they will last the full 80 at this intensity...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:25 pm 

...and they didn't.

43-19 to SA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:08 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
Anyone know anything about the player defections from Melrose to Hawick? Old man was saying a lot of lads pissed off at the whole Super 6 thing.

I am not sure of the exact details, but the Super 6 clubs are limited in the size squads they can have, and the type of player (essentially young and promising). They are also allocated academy players who have to be accommodated within the restricted squad numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:39 am 

So the crazy Will Jordan rumour is dead, he has signed a three year deal with the Crusaders. It was never going to happen. I wonder who the new Glasgow FB will be?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:33 pm 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48540672

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but posting it anyway. Harris has signed for Gloucester.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 pm 

Alba wrote:
So the crazy Will Jordan rumour is dead, he has signed a three year deal with the Crusaders. It was never going to happen. I wonder who the new Glasgow FB will be?

Have any other names been mentioned?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:59 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:

They've already signed Matt Davidson from London Scottish (former Scotland U20) who is presumably there as second choice. They have also signed Rufus Mclean from Edinburgh's academy who is a current U20 international either as one for the future (and he looks excellent), or to fight it out with Davidson for the bench spot. Neither of these is likely to be first choice in my opinion though, so presumably there must be an experienced campaigner identified as the stopgap until Davidson and Mclean are ready to be starters. For context, Mclean is 19 and Davidson 20/21.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:19 pm 

Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:

They've already signed Matt Davidson from London Scottish (former Scotland U20) who is presumably there as second choice. They have also signed Rufus Mclean from Edinburgh's academy who is a current U20 international either as one for the future (and he looks excellent), or to fight it out with Davidson for the bench spot. Neither of these is likely to be first choice in my opinion though, so presumably there must be an experienced campaigner identified as the stopgap until Davidson and Mclean are ready to be starters. For context, Mclean is 19 and Davidson 20/21.

RJacksons job to lose!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:30 pm 

Big D wrote:
Alba wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:

RJacksons job to lose!

I'm a big fan of Jackson, but I hope not. He had some decent appearances last season, but that Glasgow back three is beginning to look a little low rent. In their 2015 pomp the back three had Hogg,Seymour, (prime) DTH, Maitland, Lee Jones, Jackson and Lamont. Now only really Seymour is top class, with an ageing DTH and Jackson, Lee Jones, Hughes and Nairn. They really need to add some sparkle to that in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 pm 

Just because it's on at the moment, has anyone ever heard anything about the SRU bidding to host the U20 World Cup? I would love to see that hosted here, would make a real effort to get to a number of games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:49 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Just because it's on at the moment, has anyone ever heard anything about the SRU bidding to host the U20 World Cup? I would love to see that hosted here, would make a real effort to get to a number of games.

there was some chat this year's tournament was going to be either in Scotland or Argentina and it ended up in Argentina. Suggests it might be on the radar. I would definitely try and go if it was held here. Love the U20s. The sort of rugby we can all still recognise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:32 pm 

Was here a few years ago was it not?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:11 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Was here a few years ago was it not?

Nope. We've not hosted

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 pm 

Im sure it was ... I seem to remember watching a SA team that ran riot somewhere like Goldenacre or the Smellie's ground. Must have been a long time ago though?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:54 pm 

Do we qualify automatically if we host?

Could very well be the only shot we have at next year's tournament!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 pm 

dpedin wrote:
Im sure it was ... I seem to remember watching a SA team that ran riot somewhere like Goldenacre or the Smellie's ground. Must have been a long time ago though?

If it was at Goldenacre it could have been a Cricket score. I’ll get my coat.

Funnily enough I too have vague memories of a junior World Cup of sorts being held in Edinburgh as I remember a Fijian lad having the surname ‘Fukufuka’

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:29 am 

U20 World Cup has only been going since 2008.

Before that there was u19 and u21. We hosted u21 in 2004. But since the modern inception of the annual age group tournament, we haven’t hosted it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 pm 

Are the Georgian U20 team any good this year - beat them and it seems from TOTM's SRB article that there is a real chance of progression to the 5th-8th playoffs. Ireland will beat Italy and Australia will beat England (and will win the whole tournament in my opinion).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm 

Alba wrote:
Are the Georgian U20 team any good this year - beat them and it seems from TOTM's SRB article that there is a real chance of progression to the 5th-8th playoffs. Ireland will beat Italy and Australia will beat England (and will win the whole tournament in my opinion).

Forwards looked really decent against NZ, but they didn't show anything in the backs. Ultimately too limited a team, but if they can turn the match into a 10-man thing Scotland could be in trouble.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 640, 641, 642, 643, 644, 645, 646 ... 704  Next