Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652 ... 705  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:39 am 

af73 wrote:
All things being equal I'd agree.

Things might be far from equal in the last game, against the host nation with a possible Quarter final place the incentive. Add in a ref from the country the winners of this game are likely to face and a TMO who can't keep his mouth shut.

Scotland are every headline writers favourite fall guy in such circumstances.

Ben O'Keefe isn't going to be scheming for NZ's next game. I doubt it'll cross his mind. And even if it did, Scotland have not once beaten NZ so doubt he'll mind either way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:41 am 

I like haggis wrote:
af73 wrote:

Things might be far from equal in the last game, against the host nation with a possible Quarter final place the incentive. Add in a ref from the country the winners of this game are likely to face and a TMO who can't keep his mouth shut.

Ben O'Keefe isn't going to be scheming for NZ's next game. I doubt it'll cross his mind. And even if it did, Scotland have not once beaten NZ so doubt he'll mind either way.

Lads, we'll beat Ireland, four days later Japan beats Ireland, their RWC is over inside the first week and we'll have a nice play-off against Japan to see who gets to face the eventual world champion and who gets to face the eventual runner-up in the QF.

It's a nice RWC as there is no chance in hell of Scotland getting past the QF given the draw so let's enjoy the group stage and laugh at the Irish a bit.

Oh, and of course that QF defeat against SA/NZ will be ridiculously close with chances to grab the win before the inevitable loss. Let's not pretend there is a different feasible scenario.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:00 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
af73 wrote:

Lads, we'll beat Ireland, four days later Japan beats Ireland, their RWC is over inside the first week and we'll have a nice play-off against Japan to see who gets to face the eventual world champion and who gets to face the eventual runner-up in the QF.

It's a nice RWC as there is no chance in hell of Scotland getting past the QF given the draw so let's enjoy the group stage and laugh at the Irish a bit.

Oh, and of course that QF defeat against SA/NZ will be ridiculously close with chances to grab the win before the inevitable loss. Let's not pretend there is a different feasible scenario.

:lol:

Yeah, you're right :((

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:04 am 

Where's your belief, lads?

We haven't seen the 1st team fully fit ever! SA have undoubtedly improved since their temporary lull but it's not beyond reasonable doubt in my view.
NZ are still top drawer but is the team (relative to the rest of the world) as far ahead as they were at the previous 3 WCs? No, in my view.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:13 am 

Caley_Red wrote:

We haven't seen the 1st team fully fit ever! SA have undoubtedly improved since their temporary lull but it's not beyond reasonable doubt in my view.
NZ are still top drawer but is the team (relative to the rest of the world) as far ahead as they were at the previous 3 WCs? No, in my view.

I've said before we are going to smash this WC, semi and possibly final, and I believe that.

Equally, see above.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:34 am 

Since the last rwc we have seen trump become POTUS and Boris pm, anything is possible.

Scotland RWC 2019 champs 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am 

slick wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

I've said before we are going to smash this WC, semi and possibly final, and I believe that.

Equally, see above.

I'm with slick, until they play like utter muppets against Georgia where I'll start calling for the immediate dismissal of toonie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:15 pm 

Blain now fully pro with Edinburgh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:25 pm 

This is a pretty horrible bit of news, and a despicable act by the U20s player.

Quote:
A Scotland rugby player recorded a sex act with a woman who was unaware that he was filming her before sending the footage to 28 team-mates.

Patrick Dewhirst filmed himself sexually touching the woman as she lay “prone” in a hotel room on May 23 last year.

He then distributed the sexual images to a WhatsApp group containing members of the under-20s Scotland rugby squad.

The next day Dewhirst and his team-mates headed out to France to compete in last year’s World Rugby U20 Championship.

Dewhirst’s career as a Scottish Rugby modern apprentice is in ruins after he was placed on the sex offenders register at Edinburgh sheriff court today.
The fly half, who plays for Ayr RFC, the Scottish Premiership champions, had previously pleaded guilty to recording himself digitally penetrating the woman without her knowledge or consent. He also admitted distributing the images to a WhatsApp group containing 28 members from an address in Ayr.

Sheriff Peter McCormack said that his actions had been “complete idiocy” and had been for “cheap laughs with your team-mates”. He added: “You are a rugby player who had the ability and good fortune to be selected for the Scotland U-20 team in the World Cup over in France last year.

“On the eve of the squad’s departure you and a female ended up in your room and sexual activity took place which should have been no one’s business but yours and hers. But without her knowledge or consent and while she was lying prone you made a video of the sexual conduct on your phone and then posted it to all 28 members of the squad on WhatsApp.”

Dewhirst, from Mauchline, Ayrshire, was told that he would be on the sex offenders register for the next five years. He was also ordered to carry out 140 hours of unpaid work over the next six months and placed on a restriction of liberty order meaning that he must stay within his home between 8pm and 6am for the next 120 days.

Sheriff McCormack added: “This could well ruin your sporting career and we can only hope this young woman recovers from her ordeal.”

Yesterday Peter Lockhart, for the defence, told the court Dewhirst had been offered a professional contract with team in Lyons, France, but that the move was on hold because of his conviction. Mr Lockhart said that his client was “a very gifted and dedicated player” and had been suspended by the Scottish Rugby Union after the revelations.

The court was told previously that Dewhirst and the woman, who cannot be identified, were involved in consensual sexual activity in the room before he began filming her. The woman became aware the footage existed and called in the police to investigate.

Dewhirst came to prominence playing for Cumnock before moving to Ayr RFC. He was voted the 2nd XV’s players’ player of the year in 2016 and soon gained international honours by playing for Scotland at U19 and U20 level.

Dewhirst started both games for Scotland against Wales and France during the junior version of the Six Nations competition last year. He then played at full back at the World Rugby U20 Championship 2018 in France at which he scored a try in a last-minute defeat to Italy.

A spokesperson for Scottish Rugby said: “Scottish Rugby was aware of the incident that took place last year. We took it extremely seriously and undertook immediate action in collaboration with Police Scotland. The case was passed onto Police Scotland for investigation, which we fully supported.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rugb ... -mmjz05rf6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:06 pm 

on other side looks to have been dealt with well by the team and management. Positive signs there seemed to no sweeping under carpet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:04 pm 

frillage wrote:
on other side looks to have been dealt with well by the team and management. Positive signs there seemed to no sweeping under carpet

This.

Hopefully he learns from this and goes on to be a productive member of society and serves as a lesson to other young lads who may think this sort of thing is funny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:19 am 

Thank fudge mobile phones and social media weren’t around when we were young. I’d like to think I wasn’t a big enough arsehole to do something like this but knew plenty who might have been and remembering back on some of the shenanigans...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:36 am 

Last night's game in wellington doesn't bode well for our half of the WC draw: SA were very good and, on balance, should have won.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 am 

I'm more worried about Japan right now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:10 am 

Ben Ryan has been brought in to review our performance department!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:22 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
I'm more worried about Japan right now.

Very good win over Fiji, very good indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:24 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Ben Ryan has been brought in to review our performance department!

Not sure how I feel about this. Read his book and it's very good but clear he doesn't like KPIs and other metrics. The SRU can't be run like Fijian rugby. I like Ben Ryan but not sure he's the man for an office job. Get him in charge of the technical blueprint or how schools and clubs need to coach the game as he's all about fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:12 pm 

Caley_Red wrote:
Last night's game in wellington doesn't bode well for our half of the WC draw: SA were very good and, on balance, should have won.

In a sense it’s actually good - the Ireland game may not necessarily be ‘must win to avoid the ABs’. We’ll have a bastard fixture whatever happens.

We need to focus on beating Japan and Samoa. I agree that the Japan game looks increasingly like a horrible banana skin. Just as being given Italy in Rome for their first ever 6N fixture was a poisoned chalice, I have a bad feeling about Scotland being the country standing between Japan and a QF place at their own RWC.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:54 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

In a sense it’s actually good - the Ireland game may not necessarily be ‘must win to avoid the ABs’. We’ll have a bastard fixture whatever happens.

We need to focus on beating Japan and Samoa. I agree that the Japan game looks increasingly like a horrible banana skin. Just as being given Italy in Rome for their first ever 6N fixture was a poisoned chalice, I have a bad feeling about Scotland being the country standing between Japan and a QF place at their own RWC.

I agree but it does make the path to the semi that little bit less likely, certainly when compared to Coetzee's reign when the boks looked a total mess. This last year is the best I've seen them in quite a while, not quite the quality of '09 and '10 (I think more of the relative improvement has come from NZ regressing slightly) but undoubtedly the number 2 team in the world,in my view.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 am 

Japan is not so much a banana skin for Scotland, it's more a 50-50 shootout. They looked very sharp in attack at the weekend, some definite weaknesses in defence that can be exploited though.

We'll do well to get through it. If we do then we can worry about who we get in the quarters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:16 pm 

Caley_Red wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

I agree but it does make the path to the semi that little bit less likely, certainly when compared to Coetzee's reign when the boks looked a total mess. This last year is the best I've seen them in quite a while, not quite the quality of '09 and '10 (I think more of the relative improvement has come from NZ regressing slightly) but undoubtedly the number 2 team in the world,in my view.

The potential mental block we have with NZ is a factor also though. I would much rather SA than NZ if only because that monkey of never having beaten NZ would be all over the player's backs prior to a NZ quarter.

As other's have said, Japan is more of a concern right now that any hypothetical quarter final. If it was anywhere but Japan, I'd be mildly confident, but with them at home I am really worried. Best case scenario is either we beat Ireland (and win our other games) and it doesn't matter what the result is, or Japan have already lost to Samoa/Russia in addition to Ireland and have little hope of progression.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:19 pm 

I agree that Japan will be very tough to get past. Though I hope that by the time we play them, they are still in with a shout of progressing. I would hope that the pressure and expectation of playing in front of a home crowd might be a situation that a more experienced team like Scotland could exploit. I would prefer that than playing a wounded home side with nothing to play for but pride. It will be a nervy one either way.

If we do make it through to the QF, we will be underdogs no matter who we face, and I believe that will suit us well. Reaching the QF's is the very best anybody else would predict for us. So if the players could go into any hypothetical match against SA or NZ, with a nothing to lose attitude, you just never know! Glorious failure in the last minute again would be my prediction though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:30 pm 

fudge me. Of course we’re going to beat Japan. Our squad is as healthy as it’s been in the entire World Cup cycle. If we don’t believe we can beat them then we don’t deserve to be anywhere near a quarter final.

And yes, of course we’ll be underdogs in the QF regardless of whether we beat Ireland and regardless of whether it’s NZ or SA that we meet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:30 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
fudge me. Of course we’re going to beat Japan. Our squad is as healthy as it’s been in the entire World Cup cycle. If we don’t believe we can beat them then we don’t deserve to be anywhere near a quarter final.

And yes, of course we’ll be underdogs in the QF regardless of whether we beat Ireland and regardless of whether it’s NZ or SA that we meet.

We have four warm up games and 3 RWC pool games before we play Japan as well as more training. They'll be an injury or two before facing them, almost guaranteed.

I think our game Vs Japan will be extremely close. Wouldn't write off a very handy side in a home world cup. I would imagine the Scotland team believe they can beat Japan but I'd also think the Japanese side believe they can beat Scotland.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:04 pm 

zt1903 wrote:

This, this, this. This is the best Scotland squad for a very long time. We should be going there to top the group. I’m honestly not worried about Japan at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:53 pm 

slick wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

This, this, this. This is the best Scotland squad for a very long time. We should be going there to top the group. I’m honestly not worried about Japan at all.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one: not overly concerned about Japan either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:16 am 

We need to start holding the player to account more. This is the best starting XV and perhaps deepest squad we have had since the game went professional. They should get out of this group.

With 3-4 months together this should be the best version of the national side. Not qualifying from this group would be a failure.

The players should be well acclimatised and in pretty good shape going into that game so if they treat the game properly it should be a Scotland win.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:39 am 

I like haggis wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

We have four warm up games and 3 RWC pool games before we play Japan as well as more training. They'll be an injury or two before facing them, almost guaranteed.

I think our game Vs Japan will be extremely close. Wouldn't write off a very handy side in a home world cup. I would imagine the Scotland team believe they can beat Japan but I'd also think the Japanese side believe they can beat Scotland.

I’d also think Samoa will be right up for having a damn good go at beating us, given the closeness of the game in the last World Cup.

But the aim should be winning the group.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:54 am 

Biffer29 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

I’d also think Samoa will be right up for having a damn good go at beating us, given the closeness of the game in the last World Cup.

But the aim should be winning the group.

They play tough but I'm not too concerned about Samoa. The last game Vs Samoa is quite classic for Scotland in they very nearly bottled it against a poor side, then when they were underdogs Vs Australia did excellently. Well, until they had the chance to win and decided in the rain to call a ball to the back of the lineout and Dave Denton who can't catch at the best of times.

I'm not too convinced Scotland are good at being favourites in pressure matches. And when we're underdogs we don't often take the chance to win. I don't think that has changed since 2015.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 am 

Of course, injuries to Finn and/or Hogg and all bets are off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am 

Decent interview with Russell: https://theoffsideline.com/finn-russell-true-to-game/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:

That was good, thanks. It’s very easy to forget how much work goes on behind the scenes for players like him

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:57 am 

Slightly late, but having seen the results of the latest round of academy games, does anyone else find it concerning that they are almost always one sided affairs? It doesn't seem to be any one region dominating at each age grade each season, so that would suggest it's not to do with the available talent resources or coaching etc. Is it a mental thing? Like once a team goes a couple of scores down they fold completely? The number of nillings in the fixtures is really alarming, makes me wonder if we're churning out guys who can't get back into a game when things aren't working.

(disclaimer: I've never been able to get to one in person, so I'm purely speculating from the scoreboard and happy to be put in my place by someone more knowledgeable)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:22 pm 

shuzbee wrote:
Slightly late, but having seen the results of the latest round of academy games, does anyone else find it concerning that they are almost always one sided affairs? It doesn't seem to be any one region dominating at each age grade each season, so that would suggest it's not to do with the available talent resources or coaching etc. Is it a mental thing? Like once a team goes a couple of scores down they fold completely? The number of nillings in the fixtures is really alarming, makes me wonder if we're churning out guys who can't get back into a game when things aren't working.

(disclaimer: I've never been able to get to one in person, so I'm purely speculating from the scoreboard and happy to be put in my place by someone more knowledgeable)

fudge sake, Caley lost a game., They'll need to sort that out.

No idea what the issue is but i assume they coaches have rotated teams?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:44 am 

The Southern Knights x( x(

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/1 ... d-super-6/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:47 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:

As someone who knows nothing about Scots rugby Melrose is the one iconic name even I know.

Unusual move.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am 

nardol wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

As someone who knows nothing about Scots rugby Melrose is the one iconic name even I know.

Unusual move.

I guess it's not the whole club changing it's name, just the Super6 entity. I can see the reasons behind it, trying to get the rest of the region involved. It won't work, but nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:59 am 

slick wrote:
nardol wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Unusual move.

I guess it's not the whole club changing it's name, just the Super6 entity. I can see the reasons behind it, trying to get the rest of the region involved. It won't work, but nonetheless.

I get why they've done it, it's just a shite name. It will be interesting to see the new jersey.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:02 am 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
slick wrote:
nardol wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Unusual move.

I get why they've done it, it's just a shite name. It will be interesting to see the new jersey.

It is indeed a shite name! What are chances of other borders clubs/supporters getting behind this though? I'd say close to zero. I know in Edinburgh people won't walk across the road to watch another club and I imagine it's the same there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:02 am 

Can someone explain the borders thing to me?

Why would a player from Hawick, Gala, Jed not want to play for Melrose when Melrose give them the best chance at professional rugby?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 646, 647, 648, 649, 650, 651, 652 ... 705  Next