Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701 ... 707  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:52 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Another SRU masterclass in 'how to grow the game'

https://twitter.com/StuartCameronTV/sta ... 87616?s=20

Playing devil's advocate - surely the SRU broadcast deal which starts today would make it impossible for them to allow this to continue?

The one for Pro14 games?

BBC are broadcasting Super6 so you wonder if they paid the SRU (a presumably meagre amount)?

Doesn't make too much sense though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

Playing devil's advocate - surely the SRU broadcast deal which starts today would make it impossible for them to allow this to continue?

The one for Pro14 games?

The one for Super6:

https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/supe ... -announced

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm 

Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

The one for Pro14 games?

The one for Super6:

See what you mean, perhaps I'm misunderstanding this but does Stuart Cameron's ban not cover the club game, so everything below Super 6 too?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:17 pm 

Ashe and Thompson playing for County tonight. I thought that wasnt allowed?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:17 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Alba wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:

The one for Pro14 games?

The one for Super6:

See what you mean, perhaps I'm misunderstanding this but does Stuart Cameron's ban not cover the club game, so everything below Super 6 too?

I honestly don't know - but he specifically mentions that a) the decision is linked to Super6 and b) that he is in some way sponsored or in partnership with ITV in his tweet. It's a bit cryptic if you are not aware of what his current set up is (which I am not), but from the outside looking in it looks a fairly standard thing for the SRU/BBC to have done.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:18 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:

Flockhart is benching for Boroughmuir too

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:13 pm 

Alba wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Flockhart is benching for Boroughmuir too

It's good they are included so they get gametime and the league is of a high standard.

Didn't make sense for professionals to play in the old premiership but not the higher standard super 6.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:13 pm 

Alba wrote:
I honestly don't know - but he specifically mentions that a) the decision is linked to Super6 and b) that he is in some way sponsored or in partnership with ITV in his tweet. It's a bit cryptic if you are not aware of what his current set up is (which I am not), but from the outside looking in it looks a fairly standard thing for the SRU/BBC to have done.

Sounds a little heavy handed to me, in the same vein as the 6 Nations / RWC banning Squidge / Graham Love for what is essentially free publicity, although they are aiming at different audiences. From the reaction on twitter has sparked a few angry responses from those who see it as a big loss. It is understandable from a contractual point of view mind.

Said all that, great that the Beeb are now showing Pro14 highlights. Original broadcast at a convenient time too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:29 pm 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Alba wrote:

Sounds a little heavy handed to me, in the same vein as the 6 Nations / RWC banning Squidge / Graham Love for what is essentially free publicity, although they are aiming at different audiences. From the reaction on twitter has sparked a few angry responses from those who see it as a big loss. It is understandable from a contractual point of view mind.

Said all that, great that the Beeb are now showing Pro14 highlights. Original broadcast at a convenient time too.

@StuartCameronTV I am delighted to update everyone on the good news below and I am pleased to be able to issue a statement following talks with the SRU this morning. You will understand why I cannot comment further on the matter publicly but I am delighted with the outcome.

@StuartCameronTV
I’m humbled by the overwhelming support following my earlier statement. Scottish Rugby have clarified a difference of interpretation of our ongoing conversation, the upshot of which is I’m allowed to cover club rugby.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 pm 

RESULT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 pm 

Common sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 pm 

That was a nice touch embra.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:49 pm 

Clancey called use it at after 2 stops in the mail, 2 seconds later we scored but clancey gave the scrum for not using it. Didn’t go over the 5 seconds after the ‘use it’ call and didn’t stop three times, how’s that not a try?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 pm 

wee_weegie wrote:
Clancey called use it at after 2 stops in the mail, 2 seconds later we scored but clancey gave the scrum for not using it. Didn’t go over the 5 seconds after the ‘use it’ call and didn’t stop three times, how’s that not a try?

Clancy gonna Clancy.

Very scrappy so far.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 pm 

Disappointed to only go in 10-0 up at HT, really should be more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:19 pm 

That was fairly rank. A wins a win though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 pm 

Congrats on the win Edinburgh fans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:13 pm 

wee_weegie wrote:

Law 16.8 "When a maul has stopped moving towards a goal line, it may restart moving towards a goal line providing it does so within five seconds. If it stops a second time but the ball is being moved and the referee can see it, the referee instructs the team to use the ball. The team in possession must then use the ball in a reasonable time. Sanction: Scrum."

'Use it' in this situation means getting the ball out of the maul and not having a third attempt at moving it forward.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 am 

Match preview for Zebre v Glasgow:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8hA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:59 am 

Seeing a lot of league fans calling for Shaun Wane to be appointed head coach for England after a poor tour for the GB Lions. Anyone got any inside info on what he's actually doing for us? Would he be a loss? Or is it to early to gauge?

Last edited by Steamin Beamin on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:05 am 

I only saw a bit of the second half of the Edinburgh game, but my impression is they are very very close to being a good side. A combination of silly mistakes (two missed touches from Kinghorn when I was watching) and a bit of white line fever separated them from quite a few points. They are definitely going in the right direction though, despite misfiring slightly in attack I never feared they would lose last night.

A top class half-back partnership would make all the difference. Hickey is okay, as is VDW, but neither can bring the backs into the game like Hastings. Equally, Pyrgos is solid but he can’t change a game like Price/Hornito.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am 

Alba wrote:
I only saw a bit of the second half of the Edinburgh game, but my impression is they are very very close to being a good side. A combination of silly mistakes (two missed touches from Kinghorn when I was watching) and a bit of white line fever separated them from quite a few points. They are definitely going in the right direction though, despite misfiring slightly in attack I never feared they would lose last night.

A top class half-back partnership would make all the difference. Hickey is okay, as is VDW, but neither can bring the backs into the game like Hastings. Equally, Pyrgos is solid but he can’t change a game like Price/Hornito.

Definitely left 1 try out there with a forward pass and another 2 or 3 promising moves went the same way. Small margins, I agree they're going in the right direction.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:00 pm 

Alba wrote:

Shiel made a difference when he came on. Made some decent runs and his pass has some zip on it. Watching Pyrgos makes me want to bleach my eyes. I saw someone saying he was great last night and really controlled the game. I thought he was slow as fudge and spent far too much time waving and moaning at Clancy for a penalty.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:26 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Alba wrote:

Shiel made a difference when he came on. Made some decent runs and his pass has some zip on it. Watching Pyrgos makes me want to bleach my eyes. I saw someone saying he was great last night and really controlled the game. I thought he was slow as fudge and spent far too much time waving and moaning at Clancy for a penalty.

Agreed. The annoying thing is that a couple of times he actually gave some decent quick ball but too many times when it was called fir he was cutting about like you describe. Whilst not blaming him for last week but Shiel made a difference there again. Really want to see him start matches, his passing is very good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:17 pm 

George Horne catching the Zebre defence napping

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:22 pm 

Watched the Heriots Ayr Super6 game on Scottish rugby TV.

Quite enjoyed it - used to watch a few Premiership games when I lived in Dundee (5 years back) and the players are noticeably bigger. Almost look pro with their S&C work/coaches.

Game was entertaining enough, Heriots much better in the forwards and the backs. Cammy Hutchison man of the match and very impressive to any teams watching. Academy players didn't play much.

Watsonians and County getting late wins. I am excited for the league.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 am 

I like haggis wrote:

Quite enjoyed it - used to watch a few Premiership games when I lived in Dundee (5 years back) and the players are noticeably bigger. Almost look pro with their S&C work/coaches.

Game was entertaining enough, Heriots much better in the forwards and the backs. Cammy Hutchison man of the match and very impressive to any teams watching. Academy players didn't play much.

Really pleased to see it so well recieved on the opening weekend. There are a lot of politics around this set up and a lot of vested interests being protected on both sides. At the end of the day though, I do think this will raise standards and help produce additional internationals, therefore I think overall it is a good thing worth supporting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:00 am 

Alba wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Really pleased to see it so well recieved on the opening weekend. There are a lot of politics around this set up and a lot of vested interests being protected on both sides. At the end of the day though, I do think this will raise standards and help produce additional internationals, therefore I think overall it is a good thing worth supporting.

Watch most of it too, also enjoyed it.

Heriots well worth the win.

3 away wins in the opening weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:51 pm 

Sounds like a fairly successful opening weekend. The highlights don't appear to be up yet, hopefully they'll be up tonight.

Attendances:
Boroughmuir v Stirling County - over 1500
Bulls v Heriots - 1341
Southern Knights v Watsonians - "healthy" (taken from the match report, no official figure on the Super 6 website)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 pm 

topofthemoon wrote:
wee_weegie wrote:

Law 16.8 "When a maul has stopped moving towards a goal line, it may restart moving towards a goal line providing it does so within five seconds. If it stops a second time but the ball is being moved and the referee can see it, the referee instructs the team to use the ball. The team in possession must then use the ball in a reasonable time. Sanction: Scrum."

'Use it' in this situation means getting the ball out of the maul and not having a third attempt at moving it forward.

Every day is a school day.

Had you asked me before I looked it up, I would have said that continuing the maul was an option after a 'use it' call. The problem with doing so being that if the maul stops for a third time the ball is lost immediately.

Apparently not. I don't know if this was the case and has changed, or if I've always been wrong.

Having been at the match it was not clear to me, but having now watched it over I'd dispute whether the maul actually had stopped twice. However, that is irrelevant to the fact that once the ref calls 'use it'. the maul is over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:03 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Sounds like a fairly successful opening weekend. The highlights don't appear to be up yet, hopefully they'll be up tonight.

Attendances:
Bulls v Heriots - 1341
Southern Knights v Watsonians - "healthy" (taken from the match report, no official figure on the Super 6 website)

Boroughmuir have said that the attendance was great financially as there were so many free or discounted tickets. Which seems sensible to me. Get the punters in and hopefully they'll come back.

Edit 'wasn't great'

Last edited by Edinburgh01 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:09 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Attendances:
Bulls v Heriots - 1341

Boroughmuir have said that the attendance was great financially as there were so many free or discounted tickets. Which se ems sensible to me. Get the punters in and hopefully they'll come back.

The Knights were offering a 50% off promo too. No idea how successful it was without the official figure. Most of the chat on social media around all 3 games is mostly positive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:12 pm 

Dont think they should charge at all to begin with. Get the punters in as has been said and then look at gate receipts once the popularity is established.

Encouraging to hear they ahve been well received though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:56 am 

Has anyone watched the highlights of the Edinburgh Dragons match on the BBC website? They start the highlights at 13-0, totally ignoring the first try and all they show is the Dragons try and DvdM's try. No 'story of the match' showing controversial moments or near misses. So sloppy and lazy - the Pro14 should tell them to do it properly or produce them for the BBC. That kind of effort does the growth of the product no favours.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:27 am 

To add to that, I just watched the Super6 highlights which were exponentially better than the effort from BBC Wales.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:35 pm 

Official attendance at Knights v Watsonians now given as 1076 :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:41 pm 

Chaps who played Super6 at the weekend are saying it is a definite step up from the Premiership

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:37 pm 

Alba wrote:
Has anyone watched the highlights of the Edinburgh Dragons match on the BBC website? They start the highlights at 13-0, totally ignoring the first try and all they show is the Dragons try and DvdM's try. No 'story of the match' showing controversial moments or near misses. So sloppy and lazy - the Pro14 should tell them to do it properly or produce them for the BBC. That kind of effort does the growth of the product no favours.

The highlights programme gave about 20 mins starting about 36 mins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... 0-11112019

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:27 pm 

Much the same story worth pro14 youtube highlights.

The "highlights" are usually 3 minutes long.....45 seconds are the teams running out, kick off and kick off return - totally irrelevant.
& 20 seconds of the players shaking hands at the end.

Glasgow / Dragons recently it was just over 90 seconds in total. Not all the tries were shown..but a slow motion replay of someone driving over from a yard took up even more of the limited available time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:21 pm 

I know, it's pathetic really and hardly worth your while watching them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 695, 696, 697, 698, 699, 700, 701 ... 707  Next