Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 732  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
deegee wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Based on what I've seen of the expected England team there isn't a player from 1-9 of theirs that I would pick ahead of ours, their 10 is every bit as flaky as Parks, Centre combination works at Club level but untested internationally, back three is potentially superb but 2 of the 3 are not in top form.

I am not unhappy.

England look like picking an inexperienced back row, a flaky 10, an inexperienced centre pairing. Laidlaw would ask all sorts of different questions of their defence and maybe find a chink in their armour. Parks will ask one, and an easy one at that.

When I phoned my 11 year old son to tell him the team his response was, and I quote, 'f**king Dan Parks, what the fudge? We've lost the f**king game. What the fudge is Robinson thinking'. He gets his vocabulary from his mother.

I'm going to stop talking about Parks now, it's just upsetting me. Which is a shame as otherwise I think we've as good a chnace as we've ever had.

You should have waited until he was sober before breaking the news.

:lol: :lol: to both of you.

And to Spanks and the other apologists, just stop it there is no rational whatsoever for including Parks even if the other selctions are by and large the best we could put out but that is only because there arent any other options either through injury or form or ability.

Parks is gash, has always been gash and will contine to be gash, the only reason the fucker never gets injured is that is never anywhere remotely close to contact. The selection should have been Laidlaw with Weir on the bench - end of.

I agree about Parks, it's not even as if he's been playing well for Cardiff. He's been completely shite for Scotland other than a small upward blip when he came back after being dropped two years ago.

However, Robinson's made his decision and we need to get behind the team. I dread the scenario where Parks getting the hook on Saturday gets the biggest cheer of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 am 

Parks must be the luckiest player in the history of professsional rugby. Possibly the luckiest in the history of the sport.

Parachuted into the Scotland squad by a fellow Australian, and played ahead of a far better player (Paterson).

His presence in the shirt meant that Hadden (then at Edinburgh) wasn't put under pressure to play Paterson at 10.

Loathed by everyone, but repeatedly picked owing to a lack of other options in the position.

Has been not only dropped from the team, but left out of the squad and apparently had his international career terminated, twice. Has then been recalled due to injuries, or to his replacement having a nightmare.

Has managed to accumulate 66 caps in this way, while actually playing well on about 6 occasions.

Won 3 consecutive MoM awards in 2010, despite Scotland losing 2 out of the 3 games.

Now getting picked as the 'experienced' option when his main experience is of playing in a losing team.

Has a wikipedia page which actually describes him as a 'national hero' for kicking the winning points v Ireland 2 years ago. Seriously, I'd give up that win and any other win he played in (including the one v SA) in return for him having never been born. We'd have won a lot more games without him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Parks must be the luckiest player in the history of professsional rugby. Possibly the luckiest in the history of the sport.

Parachuted into the Scotland squad by a fellow Australian, and played ahead of a far better player (Paterson).

His presence in the shirt meant that Hadden (then at Edinburgh) wasn't put under pressure to play Paterson at 10.

Loathed by everyone, but repeatedly picked owing to a lack of other options in the position.

Has been not only dropped from the team, but left out of the squad and apparently had his international career terminated, twice. Has then been recalled due to injuries, or to his replacement having a nightmare.

Has managed to accumulate 66 caps in this way, while actually playing well on about 6 occasions.

Won 3 consecutive MoM awards in 2010, despite Scotland losing 2 out of the 3 games.

Now getting picked as the 'experienced' option when his main experience is of playing in a losing team.

Has a wikipedia page which actually describes him as a 'national hero' for kicking the winning points v Ireland 2 years ago. Seriously, I'd give up that win and any other win he played in (including the one v SA) in return for him having never been born. We'd have won a lot more games without him.

Apart from that he's okay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Based on what I've seen of the expected England team there isn't a player from 1-9 of theirs that I would pick ahead of ours, their 10 is every bit as flaky as Parks, Centre combination works at Club level but untested internationally, back three is potentially superb but 2 of the 3 are not in top form.

I am not unhappy.

England look like picking an inexperienced back row, a flaky 10, an inexperienced centre pairing. Laidlaw would ask all sorts of different questions of their defence and maybe find a chink in their armour. Parks will ask one, and an easy one at that.

When I phoned my 11 year old son to tell him the team his response was, and I quote, 'f**king Dan Parks, what the fudge? We've lost the f**king game. What the fudge is Robinson thinking'. He gets his vocabulary from his mother.

I'm going to stop talking about Parks now, it's just upsetting me. Which is a shame as otherwise I think we've as good a chnace as we've ever had.

Laidlaw will get a chance to ask those questions - after 50-60 mins. I would rather he starts, but that would have been a bold call by dimwit.

Whilst I agree that Parks is 1) gash (more often than not) and 2) predictable not all of the abuse is always justified. He rarely loses us a game, although equally often fails to win us a game that's there for the taking. In some respects him still being there is quite remarkable and the guy must have incredibly thick skin to still be willing to put up with it all - again.

However, Parks will be under team instructions and will be hooked if he doesn't follow them. He will be asked to play flatter than normal - and he has at times shown that he is capable of this - and he will be expected to be finding touch in their 22 on a regular basis. If he kicks badly and/or doesn't push up we'll see Laidlaw sooner rather than later.

If we get quick, front foot ball then his plum pea heartedness wont be an issue, he can pass and he can kick - provided he has the time to do so If we don't get this then I agree with jrp that he'll be shovelling shit passes to Lamont a mile behind the gain line.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:49 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Has a wikipedia page which actually describes him as a 'national hero' for kicking the winning points v Ireland 2 years ago.

Not anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

I am not unhappy.

Laidlaw will get a chance to ask those questions - after 50-60 mins. I would rather he starts, but that would have been a bold call by dimwit.

Whilst I agree that Parks is 1) gash (more often than not) and 2) predictable not all of the abuse is always justified. He rarely loses us a game, although equally often fails to win us a game that's there for the taking. In some respects him still being there is quite remarkable and the guy must have incredibly thick skin to still be willing to put up with it all - again.

However, Parks will be under team instructions and will be hooked if he doesn't follow them. He will be asked to play flatter than normal - and he has at times shown that he is capable of this - and he will be expected to be finding touch in their 22 on a regular basis. If he kicks badly and/or doesn't push up we'll see Laidlaw sooner rather than later.

If we get quick, front foot ball then his plum pea heartedness wont be an issue, he can pass and he can kick - provided he has the time to do so If we don't get this then I agree with jrp that he'll be shovelling shit passes to Lamont a mile behind the gain line.

What's the point in asking Parks to play a game he cant?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:00 pm 

jrp wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Has a wikipedia page which actually describes him as a 'national hero' for kicking the winning points v Ireland 2 years ago.

Not anymore.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 pm 

Again, i wouldnt have picked Parks i would have picked Laidlaw However, i think some of the reaction to his selection is OTT I think the anti-Parks myth is as false as the pro-Parks one.

Many of his "failings" were as much failings in others as the man himself e.g. Hadden wanting him to play flat behind a shit pack with shit service when it clearly wasn't on before reverting to an oversized pack and kicking everything.

Parks can play flat if it's on, he played flatter than normal in the RWC. We all know he's not brave so if we don't have forwards securing possession and a 9 providing crisp service he will be Brave Sir Robin. However, with the pack selected and Cusiter at 9 it could work. If it doesn't we have Greeeg.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Again, i wouldnt have picked Parks i would have picked Laidlaw However, i think some of the reaction to his selection is OTT I think the anti-Parks myth is as false as the pro-Parks one.

Many of his "failings" were as much failings in others as the man himself e.g. Hadden wanting him to play flat behind a shit pack with shit service when it clearly wasn't on before reverting to an oversized pack and kicking everything.

Parks can play flat if it's on, he played flatter than normal in the RWC. We all know he's not brave so if we don't have forwards securing possession and a 9 providing crisp service he will be Brave Sir Robin. However, with the pack selected and Cusiter at 9 it could work. If it doesn't we have Greeeg.

Which pro-Parks myth are you talking about, anyone who has ever rated Parks is now safely locked up or at least they bloody well should be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Cusiter had played 9 pro games when he started for Scotland, and look how badly that went. I don't accept that Laidlaw hasn't had enough game time at 10.

There are some players who need eased in, De Luca was one. He was superb for Edinburgh and was a rabbit in the headlights for Scotland. Others take to to international rugby like a duck to water. I think Laidlaw is the latter. He wasn't phased in the slightest when he played in his one match so far, he's the form player at 10 no matter how few games he has had, so chuck him in. I'd rather Parks was on the bench in case it went sour for Laidlaw than the other way round.

I understand why Parks was picked. He has had his moments for Scotland and if it all goes wrong Laidlaw is in the wings. But he has generally stepped up when he's been dropped and had to step in as a stop gap. Which is another good reason to start Laidlaw.

This.

Some of you others have been reading too much Kevin Ferrie - and he know the square root of f**k all about rugby.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/rug ... n.16639780

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 pm 

Coo wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Cusiter had played 9 pro games when he started for Scotland, and look how badly that went. I don't accept that Laidlaw hasn't had enough game time at 10.

There are some players who need eased in, De Luca was one. He was superb for Edinburgh and was a rabbit in the headlights for Scotland. Others take to to international rugby like a duck to water. I think Laidlaw is the latter. He wasn't phased in the slightest when he played in his one match so far, he's the form player at 10 no matter how few games he has had, so chuck him in. I'd rather Parks was on the bench in case it went sour for Laidlaw than the other way round.

I understand why Parks was picked. He has had his moments for Scotland and if it all goes wrong Laidlaw is in the wings. But he has generally stepped up when he's been dropped and had to step in as a stop gap. Which is another good reason to start Laidlaw.

This.

Some of you others have been reading too much Kevin Ferrie - and he know the square root of f**k all about rugby.

Sycophants the lot of them - not one dissenting voice amongst the clueless muppets we call Scottish rugby hacks.

zt - I cant believe you are blaming the coaches for Parks positioning and peaheartedness on the field. He didn't play flatter in the RWC he was his usual shite self - he cant play flat as he has neither the distribution skills to make the most of it or the balls to take a hit.

The man has NEVER been injured - he's either a medical marvel or a peaheart.

As to your comment that he has never lost us a match - oh really :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 pm 

I'm not blaming the coaches - although it had an impact.

I don't particularly want to defend Parks as I neither rate him nor would have picked him.

However, in the context of this fixture I do not believe it is the disaster that my fellow posters seem to believe.

He can distribute - provided that he doesn't need to be brave in doing so ;)

His opposing 10 is just as brave and potentially flakier.

And jrp, Parks has been injured. He was injured in the run up to the last AIs, although I assume this was a muscle strain rather than putting his body on the line :p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 pm 

IMO Parks' last decent game for Scotland was 2 years ago, although I won't deny he was worthy of those MOTM awards he got at that time.

Personally I have a lot of respect for him. He has stood up well to the vitriol and is clearly popular with the rest of the team. He took steps to try to address the defensive frailty (although he remains a f**king liability, no two ways about it) and any player that tries to improve their game is to be admired.

The problem is that deep down his gut instinct is to avoid contact, and that's a big risk. It has already cost us two losses to Argentina in consecutive RWCs. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 pm 

zt1903 wrote:

There is comfort in these words.

Who is that? Hodgson?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm 

Coo wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

This.

Careful now, you can't say anything bad about Saint Kevin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:27 pm 

Smutley wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Who is that? Hodgson?

Yep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:39 pm 

hp18 wrote:
Smutley wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

Who is that? Hodgson?

Yep.

I see your point.

8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:54 pm 

Smutley wrote:
IMO Parks' last decent game for Scotland was 2 years ago, although I won't deny he was worthy of those MOTM awards he got at that time.

Personally I have a lot of respect for him. He has stood up well to the vitriol and is clearly popular with the rest of the team. He took steps to try to address the defensive frailty (although he remains a f**king liability, no two ways about it) and any player that tries to improve their game is to be admired.

The problem is that deep down his gut instinct is to avoid contact, and that's a big risk. It has already cost us two losses to Argentina in consecutive RWCs. :thumbdown:

Are you on drugs?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:13 pm 

jrp wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Are you on drugs?

I wouldn't rule it out, although I have seen it with my own eyes. He has tried to make tackles. On forwards. Not good tackles mind, but I have seen him trip them up with his flailing carcass. Which was a step up from running away.

And to be honest, after he got booed by his own supporters - a f**king disgrace IMO - he bounced back, improved his game and, for a short time at least, merited the shirt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm 

I detest supporters who boo their own players too. But in the case of Parks I can understand why. Playing a competitive international with Parks in your team is like tying all your backs' laces together before you begin.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:24 pm 

Smutley wrote:
jrp wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Are you on drugs?

I wouldn't rule it out, although I have seen it with my own eyes. He has tried to make tackles. On forwards. Not good tackles mind, but I have seen him trip them up with his flailing carcass. Which was a step up from running away.

And to be honest, after he got booed by his own supporters - a f**king disgrace IMO - he bounced back, improved his game and, for a short time at least, merited the shirt.

He's a poor defender and I don't think he should be starting this game but one of the funniest things I've ever seen was him taking POC down twice at Croke Park and stripping the ball from him :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
I detest supporters who boo their own players too. But in the case of Parks I can understand why. Playing a competitive international with Parks in your team is like tying all your backs' laces together before you begin.

I cannot now and unlikely ever will understand those who would do that. It's a f**king disgrace.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 pm 

I've never done it and never will. I can understand people wanting to when it's Parks, that's all. The man makes me want to scream from sheer frustration.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 pm 

I would never boo him.

I would get him behind the stand and kick his plum in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:06 pm 

jrp wrote:
I would never boo him.

I would get him behind the stand and kick his plum in.

I'll help. Do you think we could manage to do it before kick-off? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:51 pm 

Smutley wrote:

Popular with the rest of the team? You will be able to back that up then.

I know plenty players playing poor second team club rugby who try very hard to improve their game. Should they be playing for Scotland too?

So you admit he has lost us games - why persist with him?

I've never boo'd him, never would, but when he came on the pitch even my son would turn to me and say "fuckin Dan Parks eh?" and my son didn't even go to Watson's!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 pm 

Parks is limited, some would say shite. Robbo on the other hand is prone to conservative, some would say dodgy picks and just happened to make one for the must win home/opening game of this year. It bothers me that he didn't take a chance on Laidlaw who has really put his hand up but his pick has a small iota of rationale behind it. IMO If Jackson was fit and on some half decent form, I don't think Parks would even be in the squad, it'd be Jackson starting with Greg on the bench.

Laidlaw will get his bite at the cherry, and the way DP's form has looked at the Blues, it'll be sooner rather than later. Probably starting against Wayuls.

I think we can all move along now, nothing much more to see here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:43 pm 

:lol:

Where did I say we should persist with him?

Coo wrote:
You will be able to back that up then.

Voted player of the tournament by the rest of the team in RWC 2007.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:04 am 

Smutley wrote:

Coo wrote:

To make him feel better about the game he lost for us against Argentina.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am 

Just to change the topic for a second, I see the SRU have raised the price for the HC QF to £30 if you roll up on the day. £15 tickets are only available up until the end of February. Just as they have an opportunity they fudge it up again!! :x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:59 am 

Where are you getting that from?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 pm 

Mate who is a ST holder got an e-mail from them yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:06 pm 

Curious.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:26 pm 

Standard practice and much better than no ticket sales on day.
They want to have as accurate an idea of numbers as possible to staff correctly, they want people to commit to going instead of waiting till the day and bad weather putting them off and those who do show up on the day are a captive market. Once they have shown up at murrayfield on the day to buy a ticket they will buy at £30 not walk off so why not make as much as can from them staying within the Market value?

The new regime are working hard and purse strings have definitely been loosened, was even offered a cup of tea last time was at murrayfield!;-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:01 pm 

I dont boo players but the boos that you think are aimed at Parks are actually at the muppets selecting him in this case Robbo who i have lost faith in, time for a change he isnt going to move us forward. Who do we get in instead, fucks knows but i will be amazed if we come out of this campaign with 2 wins which should be the bare minimum, I am expecting to scrape past Italy just because they are shithouse at the moment even if we are playing them over there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:04 pm 

frillage wrote:
They want to have as accurate an idea of numbers as possible to staff correctly, they want people to commit to going instead of waiting till the day and bad weather putting them off and those who do show up on the day are a captive market. Once they have shown up at murrayfield on the day to buy a ticket they will buy at £30 not walk off so why not make as much as can from them staying within the Market value?

The new regime are working hard and purse strings have definitely been loosened, was even offered a cup of tea last time was at murrayfield!;-)

And you survived? Last time I use that guy.

It does make sense in that regard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
I dont boo players but the boos that you think are aimed at Parks are actually at the muppets selecting him in this case Robbo who i have lost faith in, time for a change he isnt going to move us forward. Who do we get in instead, fucks knows but i will be amazed if we come out of this campaign with 2 wins which should be the bare minimum, I am expecting to scrape past Italy just because they are shithouse at the moment even if we are playing them over there.

You're right, it's so obvious :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm 

hp18 wrote:
frillage wrote:

And you survived? Last time I use that guy.

It does make sense in that regard.

Just because you have a captive market does not mean you should hit them with a 50% price rise. You are only talking about them making a few thousand quid at the most and if that in any way cuts the potential gate then it is wrong.

They are surely trying to attract people that don't normally turn up, and these people might not know how to buy tickets in advance. Taking advantage of that is shit and shows the mindset.

I would rather they made it across the board £15 and get as big a crowd as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:37 pm 

Smutley wrote:

Coo wrote:

Recognition of how he performed on the pitch. It does not make him popular.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:23 pm 

I may dream but I think Parks remaining on the pitch is synonymous with Scotland not being to far off the lead, if substantially down early on AR will play the only tactical switch avalaible to him on the bench...which leaves us with the only worrying scenario of our two last RWC...i.e. leading after 70mns and making bizarre changes...which I hope they have now sorted...on Parks popularity / personality...from the reduced insight of having been in his vicinity twice...and yes within punching distance...apologies to all...his popularity is nothing to write home about...not more not less...he is not unpopular but as his personality is akin to a slightly mad / weird Aussie...albeit he is far more vocal in front of a bartender than the oppo back line...he does not gel with all his teammates...Let' s wish him that his testimonial game / tournament is a decent one...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 732  Next