Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:13 pm 

1) No residency qualification at all unless the person moved to the country before the age of 18
2) 5 year residency for grandparent qualification, unless you moved before 18
3) TMO's only for serious foul play and the act of scoring
4) No Stuart Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:29 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
starting 15 players to play all of the match, bench only for injury replacements.

:thumbup: Yup. I don't like the advent of the impact player. Rugby should be oriented around 80 minute players.

4 subs allowed per game might address that. The fewer subs allowed the less likely they are to be planned or for tactical reasons.

8 players on the bench, only 4 can play.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:45 pm 

Streakers are DNA tested or tortured to reveal nationality penalty try against their team. If supports neither team immediate ejection from the ground unless female under 40

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:01 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
starting 15 players to play all of the match, bench only for injury replacements.

I'm not a big fan of this law at all. It would be very difficult for grass-roots rugby. It may also encourage feigning injuries.

I do like the idea though. Players are getting ridiculously huge in the modern game. It's got to the stage where a back under 100kg is almost unusual. That used to be a biggish forward (or a huge forward if you go back far enough! - the heaviest player in the first All Black squad to tour England was 94kg).

I'm not suggesting rugby players should be small, but the laws should encourage a game, "for all body shapes", as used to be the brag. Not just 110kg roid heads.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:04 pm 

The Man Without Fear wrote:
2). A try means a try at goal once more.

So 0 points for a try?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:05 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Quote:

You mean like we used to before the Saffers started cheating so openly that they had to change the laws?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:10 pm 

No raising your leading leg when jumping for a high ball, gets on my tits that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:11 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

I'm not a big fan of this law at all. It would be very difficult for grass-roots rugby.

How so? Admittedly my playing days are a long time ago but I never remember having 7/8 subs in any game I played at school or club. Sometimes we were lucky to get a full XV.
I dont think grassroots rugby would be affected much at all*

*Disclaimer - I know you are one of the boreds active players so you'll have a better handle on the 2017 implications of such a law change.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:15 pm 

BBB wrote:
I'd bleed World Rugby of all its cash and siphon the money into Swiss bank accounts under the names of all my family members and close friends.

For a start.

:?

I thought we were talking World Rugby not FIFA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:17 pm 

Smee wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

I'm not a big fan of this law at all. It would be very difficult for grass-roots rugby.

How so? Admittedly my playing days are a long time ago but I never remember having 7/8 subs in any game I played at school or club. Sometimes we were lucky to get a full XV.

*Disclaimer - I know you are one of the boreds active players so you'll have a better handle on the 2017 implications of such a law change.

My thinking when I wrote it, was just that it gives "everyone a go". If you have a squad of 22/3 and only 15 guys get on the field bar injuries ... well, that's going to suck for the other guys who are paying their rego just to go to training on Tuesdays and Thursdays and "hope someone gets injured" on Saturday so they get a game... that's fine for high-levels or professional levels maybe, but it sucks for social rugby.

That was just the first thing that popped into my head anyway.

I guess you can have guys playing a full game, then backing up for the grade above in case of injuries. But the buck has to stop somewhere down the line at the lowest level. It also seems very much less than an ideal system to have guys who just played 80 backing up for a higher level (although it happens a lot, I know when clubs struggle for numbers, better not to design it that way!).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 pm 

Smee wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

I've played more club games with less than 15 than I have with more than one sub.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:11 pm 

That must suck.

In almost every team I've played for we have a full bench because the grade below fills it out if there's any gaps. But it would still suck for any player selected on the bench for that grade if they were just there in case someone got injured.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Reduce the 6 Nations to 5 teams.

So like cricket?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm 

TV pundits to receive cliché fines.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:57 pm 

Incentivise the Pro 12 to take on a Georgian team.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 am 

Gwenno wrote:

& TV pundits, particularly ex-players, given rigorous oral and written tests on the laws of the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 am 

I'd get rid of the grounding rule for tries. Like in American football once the ball is in the end zone in a players hands its a try. Too many tries are ruled out for minor grounding infringements. Straight put in to both lineout and scrums should be enforced and get rid of the ridiculous offence of wheeling the scrum

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:38 am 

sewa wrote:
I'd get rid of the grounding rule for tries. Like in American football once the ball is in the end zone in a players hands its a try. Too many tries are ruled out for minor grounding infringements. Straight put in to both lineout and scrums should be enforced and get rid of the ridiculous offence of wheeling the scrum

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 am 

Insane_Homer wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

& TV pundits, particularly ex-players, given rigorous oral and written tests on the laws of the game.

Special fines for 'double movement' and 'downward pressure'? What about pointing out that a deliberate knock down isn't ilegal, only a deliberate knock on?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:46 am 

Nuke Saracens

and Mourad Boudjellal

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 am 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Take away on field TMO replays on the big screen. The crowd booing is influencing too many referrals that amount to nothing and slow the game down.

Allow fair contests for the ball in the air. That penalty against Kerevi on Falou was a joke.

I take your point but no replays for the fans in the stadium who have forked out good cash and are supporting the game? I'd be fairly pissed if the big screen showed nothing but ads all day.

Agree on your 2nd point.

Another, and I'm not sure what the actual law is, but packs being told to use the ball when their scrum is moving forward is a blight on the sport. Awful directive if it's come from above, which I assume it must have.

I'd also like to see old-fashioned rucking back. And better policing of the offside line, particularly by the ARs.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 am 

Make it a sin bin offence for overzealous try celebrations, after touching down a player should calmly jog back to the halfway line with the occasional pat on the back from any team mate he happens to pass along the way. Fist pumps, taunting oppo players or the crowd should be met with immediate 10 mins on the naughty step. Players who sprint across the park to join in the celebrations should get 20 mins.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:57 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Make it a sin bin offence for overzealous try celebrations, after touching down a player should calmly jog back to the halfway line with the occasional pat on the back from any team mate he happens to pass along the way. Fist pumps, taunting oppo players or the crowd should be met with immediate 10 mins on the naughty step. Players who sprint across the park to join in the celebrations should get 20 mins.

so basically ban Danny Cipriani

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:59 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Was thinking of Chris Ashton

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:01 pm 

hermie wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Take away on field TMO replays on the big screen. The crowd booing is influencing too many referrals that amount to nothing and slow the game down.

Allow fair contests for the ball in the air. That penalty against Kerevi on Falou was a joke.

I take your point but no replays for the fans in the stadium who have forked out good cash and are supporting the game? I'd be fairly pissed if the big screen showed nothing but ads all day.

Agree on your 2nd point.

Another, and I'm not sure what the actual law is, but packs being told to use the ball when their scrum is moving forward is a blight on the sport. Awful directive if it's come from above, which I assume it must have.

I'd also like to see old-fashioned rucking back. And better policing of the offside line, particularly by the ARs.

Surely modern technology could be a solution here. GPS trackers can be made tiny now and placed in socks around ankles / shoes where the furthest advanced player in the defensive line can always automatically generate a line where the AR (or a computer) can indicate offline with a big league style hooter.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:01 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Him too but some of Cipriani's, not necessarily taunting but ridiculous nonetheless. Can't find the clip but him and Wade had some daft celebration thing at the start of the year that they had clearly practiced before, they're clearly the wrong sorts

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:06 pm 

I would split NZ into North and South Island teams.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:18 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

What about pointing out that a deliberate knock down isn't ilegal, only a deliberate knock on?

The relevant offence is an intentional knock-on. Whether the ball initially travels downward or upward isn't specified.

Law 12
DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON
A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward,
or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits
the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another
player before the original player can catch it.

Law 12.1
(f) Intentional knock or throw forward.
A player must not intentionally knock the ball
forward with hand or arm, nor throw forward.
Sanction: Penalty kick. A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that
would probably otherwise have been scored

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:20 pm 

nardol wrote:
hermie wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:

Agree on your 2nd point.

Surely modern technology could be a solution here. GPS trackers can be made tiny now and placed in socks around ankles / shoes where the furthest advanced player in the defensive line can always automatically generate a line where the AR (or a computer) can indicate offline with a big league style hooter.

Nah

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:29 pm 

Drink a better quality brandy. Smoke a better quality Cuban. Stay in a better quality hotel.

And ban tactical substitutions. With a twist - not only should there be independent medical approval before a sub can be brought on; but the substituted player automatically misses the next competitive game, to encourage the poor mite to recover fully from any miraculous recoveries.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:30 pm 

1. Chuck the Italians out of the pro12
2. Allow people to respond to the Haka how they want, no more protected standing on the 10m line
3. Any player, other than the captain, complaining/appealing to the referee is penalised unless the referee has initiated discussion with them
4. Move all European rugby back to sky
5. Ban excessive numbers of Aus-NZ games
6. Enforce the crooked feed and 5 second to pass at ruck laws.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:32 pm 

Fcuk it. I'd take the game back to amateur status and go out in a blaze of hookers and cocaine before the spivs could reverse my decree. Smiling all the way babeeeeee.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:33 pm 

1. 5 year residency rules
2. End needless TMO referrals
3. No more stadium announcers/half time 'entertainment'
4. End ticket touting (hard but should be done). Tickets should only be resold at face value

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:18 pm 

Yourmother wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Reduce the 6 Nations to 5 teams.

So like cricket?

No....Wales would still be allowed to play cricket

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:50 pm 

redderneck wrote:
Drink a better quality brandy. Smoke a better quality Cuban. Stay in a better quality hotel.

And ban tactical substitutions. With a twist - not only should there be independent medical approval before a sub can be brought on; but the substituted player automatically misses the next competitive game, to encourage the poor mite to recover fully from any miraculous recoveries.

Fine idea in the pros, but horrible for grassroots rugby (covered this above if you need an explanation).

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:31 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Him too but some of Cipriani's, not necessarily taunting but ridiculous nonetheless. Can't find the clip but him and Wade had some daft celebration thing at the start of the year that they had clearly practiced before, they're clearly the wrong sorts

There are some ridiculous try celebrations in Super Rugby as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:17 pm 

I disagree with the try celebrations. I think we should have more celebrations like Shaun Stevenson after he scored that wonder try. If a player can get a similar idiosyncratic celebration akin to the dab and showing that they are having a great time it might get more kids wanting to go to games and also playing

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:20 pm 

Stop the water carriers running onto the field every 2 minutes

If needed have specified water breaks

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:23 pm 

johnstrac wrote:
No raising your leading leg when jumping for a high ball, gets on my tits that.

Saracens v Leinster semi final. The Sarries player got pinged for tackling the Leinster player in the air. The replay showed he actually stopped short but the Leinster player purposefully put his leading foot down on the Sarries players arm as he came to ground.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:26 pm 

Clive Simms wrote:
I disagree with the try celebrations. I think we should have more celebrations like Shaun Stevenson after he scored that wonder try. If a player can get a similar idiosyncratic celebration akin to the dab and showing that they are having a great time it might get more kids wanting to go to games and also playing

That one wasn't so bad but the fact rugby players had practiced this: https://media.giphy.com/media/dQPGIwTlD3ERi/giphy.gif makes me question rugby

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next