Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Book Depository
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:04 am 

I've used these guys a lot since moving to Hong Kong and not had any troubles until now. Ordered 10 books a few weeks back and when they didn't show up I checked the "your order has dispatched" email to see they had sent it to an address consisting of just my apartment number and country. Good luck Mr postman trying to deliver to "301 Hong Kong". Customer service's answer just now was "it might get sent back to us and then we will resend it, please check back in 10 weeks". Fuckin tools. :frown:

Post subject: Re: The Book Depository
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:07 am 

Never had any issue with them but if your address is on the system and correct and their dispatching stuffed up then thats very ordinary

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:11 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
Never had any issue with them but if your address is on the system and correct and their dispatching stuffed up then thats very ordinary

We buy loads from them and not had an issue before. I'm firstly amazed that they don't have a flag on their dispatch system when it tries to send with no postal town or street but these things happen I guess, but the response from customer support was crazy. What it shows is that all the postal risk falls on the customer and not them since if HK post never return these books I take the financial hit.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:53 am 

Sign up to twitter and post your experience to their twitter account. It's the fast track 'consumer watchdog' for poor customer service. Can almost guarantee they will then sort it.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:00 am 

My boss had his new Samsung S8 delivered to the office last week, as part of my high powered role I had to sign for it as he is away. The delivery slot came and went, so I checked the tracking to see it had been delivered and signed for by 'Dave'.

Phoned up the delivery company and asked where it had been delivered - turned out it was addressed:

His name
4th Floor
Street Name

Luckily there are only four buildings on our street and I was eventually able to track it down to the 2nd one I walked into.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 am 

Demilich wrote:
Sign up to twitter and post your experience to their twitter account. It's the fast track 'consumer watchdog' for poor customer service. Can almost guarantee they will then sort it.

That's exactly what I have done, after years of avoiding it. 5 minutes of slamming them and hey presto, a follower...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 am 

Anyone else think of South Park when they saw the thread title?

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:17 pm 

I hadn't ever heard of this company. I wondered what people did in places that Amazon didn't service.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 pm 

Never had any issues with them...and the prices!
Also, Amazon are plums...

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Well it turns out Amazon bought them in 2011.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 pm 

village wrote:
I've used these guys a lot since moving to Hong Kong and not had any troubles until now. Ordered 10 books a few weeks back and when they didn't show up I checked the "your order has dispatched" email to see they had sent it to an address consisting of just my apartment number and country. Good luck Mr postman trying to deliver to "301 Hong Kong". Customer service's answer just now was "it might get sent back to us and then we will resend it, please check back in 10 weeks". f**k tools. :frown:

Thinly veiled "I can read" post :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:28 am 

Demilich wrote:

The twitter tantrum worked. They're resending me the books. It's a sad reflection on our society that a sober private dialogue got nowhere and a petulant online footstamp got results.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:15 am 

village wrote:
Taranaki Snapper wrote:

Well it turns out Amazon bought them in 2011.

:blush:

oof, got me right in the fulfilment centre...

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 am 

village wrote:
Demilich wrote:

The twitter tantrum worked. They're resending me the books. It's a sad reflection on our society that a sober private dialogue got nowhere and a petulant online footstamp got results.

:thumbup:

I had to do similar with getting broadband set-up: 12 days of waiting for them to fix a fuck-up, over 6 hours accumulated of listening to their "waiting music" (which was someone giving 6 internet history factoids on repeat, that after 10 minutes got caught in a 10 second snippet loop) and the problem was resolved within an hour of me posting it online.

On the plus side, I think it is probably already leading to improved customer service, as vendors really want to avoid getting slammed infront of a wide audience. Same with the customer service you get at hotels now with the online reviewing culture.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:06 am 

Womack wrote:
My boss had his new Samsung S8 delivered to the office last week, as part of my high powered role I had to sign for it as he is away. The delivery slot came and went, so I checked the tracking to see it had been delivered and signed for by 'Dave'.

Phoned up the delivery company and asked where it had been delivered - turned out it was addressed:

His name
4th Floor
Street Name

Luckily there are only four buildings on our street and I was eventually able to track it down to the 2nd one I walked into.

You'll be allowed out to get the coffees soon after that performance. Good for you.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:43 am 

The Book Suppository is known for being a pain in the arse. Sounds like this lot are right up there too.