Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
Can we also talk about how embarrassing Gareth Rees' commentary has become? :?

After years of lurking I have joined to comment on this.

Gareth is likely our greatest ever International but his commentary is a complete joke. Not a critical word for "the lads" who are "all heart" and commit basic error after basic error.

Constant whining about the ref. Constant. The fact is Gareth is an RC employee and basically a propagandist in the booth. The same pablum that gets fed to us in press releases and town hall meetings becomes the colour commentary. Bad luck, bad calls, oh so close. I know Blake Price is a smart enough guy and must roll his eyes.

I played against Gareth in his final days - second division UBCOB Ravens. It was neat to play against him, but he basically just stood there, jersey not covering his stomach, directing the ref all game. I had flashback to those days Saturday. In classic homer fashion, he commented more on the officiating than the game.

Speaking of the game, that has to be a low point for the men's XV. Is it the bottom? As the Drive-By Truckers said "I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one, they always gold me when you hit it you'll know it. But I've been falling so long it's like gravity's gone and I'm just floating."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

After years of lurking I have joined to comment on this.

Gareth is likely our greatest ever International but his commentary is a complete joke. Not a critical word for "the lads" who are "all heart" and commit basic error after basic error.

Constant whining about the ref. Constant. The fact is Gareth is an RC employee and basically a propagandist in the booth. The same pablum that gets fed to us in press releases and town hall meetings becomes the colour commentary. Bad luck, bad calls, oh so close. I know Blake Price is a smart enough guy and must roll his eyes.

I played against Gareth in his final days - second division UBCOB Ravens. It was neat to play against him, but he basically just stood there, jersey not covering his stomach, directing the ref all game. I had flashback to those days Saturday. In classic homer fashion, he commented more on the officiating than the game.

Speaking of the game, that has to be a low point for the men's XV. Is it the bottom? As the Drive-By Truckers said "I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one, they always gold me when you hit it you'll know it. But I've been falling so long it's like gravity's gone and I'm just floating."

:thumbup: Quality first post! Welcome to the Bored.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:44 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Was it bad? I couldn't tell my facebook feed was so inferior

As noted above, very one sided and very harsh on the ref. I think one line was something like: "If the ref doesn't give a penalty try, he knows nothing about rugby." The ironing was delicious, because the - admittedly yellow card - infringement was not during a moment where a try was likely to be scored, so a penalty try was not even a factor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:52 pm 

Nieghorn,

Send me an email or message or something. I have an interesting update.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:58 pm 

Anybody else going on Saturday? I'm a glutton for punishment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:39 pm 

I guess the only benefit of attending the last two games was not listening to Rees', ahem, observations of the games. I recorded Saturday's game but have not had the stomach to watch it. TSN should fire Rees if he was that bad.

Morgan14 - Keith, Barton and Beukeboom were on the ARC team so, technically, they have graduated. The two forwards have big futures; Barton does not have the speed to play at #13. Jake Thiel and McMullan (if they do not go to 7s) have very good chances. I think two others (Kotze and O'Neill, say) have shots. The tournament coming up will say more.

Remember, RC made the decision in 2013 for Canada to be a 7s rugby country, and make no mistake, we are that. One read of Rugby Canada's Strategic Plan will tell all.

Last edited by canuckles on Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:47 pm 

canuckles wrote:
I recorded Saturday's game but have not had the stomach to watch it. TSN should fire Rees if he was that bad.

Hi, I look to find the game from few days already...can you share it somehow trough wetransfer or something similar?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 pm 

canuckles wrote:
I guess the only benefit of attending the last two games was not listening to Rees', ahem, observations of the games. I recorded Saturday's game but have not had the stomach to watch it. TSN should fire Rees if he was that bad.

Morgan14 - Keith, Barton and Beukeboom were on the ARC team so, technically, they have graduated. The two forwards have big futures; Barton does not have the speed to play at #13. Jake Thiel and McMullan (if he does not go to 7s) have very good chances. I think two others (Kotze and O'Neill, say) have shots. The tournament coming up will say more.

Remember, RC made the decision in 2013 for Canada to be a 7s rugby country, and make no mistake, we are that. One read of Rugby Canada's Strategic Plan will tell all.

Thanks Canuckles, good to hear there are some prospects at least.

Agreed about us being a 7s country, on the men's side at least. I just don't understand how RC monetizes that - my understanding is they don't make a huge amount from Vancouver 7s, which is the one and only showcase, but maybe I'm misinformed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:53 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
Nieghorn,

Congrats! :thumbup: Very happy for you both.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:46 am 

canuckles wrote:
TSN should fire Rees if he was that bad.

It was a complete embarrassment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:
Nieghorn,

Without getting into details, I posted a gripe about Gareth on the RC facebook page.

A well known figure in Canadian rugby contacted me, said they agreed with me wholly, and asked me to pursue the compliant further. I suspect the act is wearing thin with more than just the public.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:09 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:
Nieghorn,

Without getting into details, I posted a gripe about Gareth on the RC facebook page.

A well known figure in Canadian rugby contacted me, said they agreed with me wholly, and asked me to pursue the compliant further. I suspect the act is wearing thin with more than just the public.

Oh, very interesting! These people are supposed to help grow the game, not turn people off it... especially in trying to defend DTH's yellow as 'controversial'. Head contact, had to walk. No one intends to do it, to be fair, but to downplay it as not that bad is irresponsible, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 pm 

Yeah it was a clear yellow. Rees is the Don Cheery of rugby.

oh and by the way, Trainor is done with an Achilles injury.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:26 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:

Looking at Cherry, it's not a bad career steategy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:31 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:

Yeah, the Trainor injury happened in front of the stand I was in. He was carried off with his right foot turned out. Don't tell me Rugby Canada actually announced the injury? Our national union cares so little for its supporters it has not even announced the 26 player roster for the next two games. When we do qualify Rugby Canada will give the ultimate insult to Canadian rugby fans and say "The NSMT has met Rugby Canada's objective."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:53 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Looking at Cherry, it's not a bad career steategy.

Rees continues to demonstrate the same competance and nuance that allowed him to excel as Rugby Canada's CEO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:31 am 

Congrats to DTH for setting the new try mark for Canada. Thought he was the difference today, class apart from everyone else on the pitch. Too bad he wasn't quite able to bag a third there near the very end.

As for the rest of it, well, I'm still angered by that fumble by Coe, that's rugby 101 stuff