Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:16 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:
That's a real shame for Hassler. I hope it works out for him. I wonder if his agent gave him bad advice, in that he thought the market for him was better than it turns out it is? It's clear someone (him or his agent or both) misread it when he didn't immediately signal to the O's he'd like to come back

Agreed, he very clearly didn't think this through or had smoke blown up his ass.

At least Okotoks is lovely this time of year.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm 

still think he will land somewhere, my guess would be Pro D2 in France.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:36 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
still think he will land somewhere, my guess would be Pro D2 in France.

Yes, I would like to think so too, either there or in the English Championship. Or better yet, down in NZ or SA for a provincial / club side, with a chance for a promotion to SR.

The glass half full way that I'll look at this for now is that he'll be available for all of Canada's games to qualify for the WCup

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:52 am 

Canada's summer squad:

Forwards:
Tyler Ardron – Co-Captain, :D
Noah Barker :)
Ray Barkwill :x - what's the point?
Luke Campbell :?
Paul Ciulini :)
Dustin Dobravsky :?
Matt Heaton :D
Eric Howard :)
Jake Ilnicki :)
Cole Keith :D
Conor Keys :)
Ryan Kotlewski :?
Josh Larsen :D - Now with Otago
Evan Olmstead :D
Lucas Rumball :)
Djustice Sears-Duru :)

Backs:

Nick Blevins :?
Cole Davis :)
Guiseppe du Toit :?
Andrew Ferguson :)
Doug Fraser :?
Jeff Hassler :D
Ben LeSage :)
Kainoa Lloyd :)
Phil Mack - Co-captain :? (we know what he can do, time for someone else to step up)
Gordon McRorie :?
Shane O’Leary :D
Pat Parfrey :x :lol:
Theo Sauder :)
DTH van der Merwe – Captain :D

Probable first XV for Scotland:

1 Barker
2 Barkwill
3 Ilnicki
4 Larsen
5 Olmstead
6 Rumball
7 Heaton
8 Ardron
9 Mack/Ferg

10 O'Leary
11 DTH
12 Blevins - for his 'defence'
13 LeSage
14 Hassler
15 Parfrey

Injury list or not selected to give them time to heal for November:

Kyle Baillie
Brett Beukeboom
Matt Beukeboom
Matt Evans
Ciaran Hearn
Dan Moor
Taylor Paris
Matt Tierney
Conor Trainor

7s crap:

Connor Braid
Admir Cejvanovic
Andrew Coe

Link to video explaining the squad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUEzVZ_2k8

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Canada's summer squad:

Forwards:
Tyler Ardron – Co-Captain, :D
Noah Barker :)
Ray Barkwill :x - what's the point?
Luke Campbell :?
Paul Ciulini :)
Dustin Dobravsky :?
Matt Heaton :D
Eric Howard :)
Jake Ilnicki :)
Cole Keith :D
Conor Keys :)
Ryan Kotlewski :?
Josh Larsen :D - Now with Otago
Evan Olmstead :D
Lucas Rumball :)
Djustice Sears-Duru :)

Backs:

Nick Blevins :?
Cole Davis :)
Guiseppe du Toit :?
Andrew Ferguson :)
Doug Fraser :?
Jeff Hassler :D
Ben LeSage :)
Kainoa Lloyd :)
Phil Mack - Co-captain :? (we know what he can do, time for someone else to step up)
Gordon McRorie :?
Shane O’Leary :D
Pat Parfrey :x :lol:
Theo Sauder :)
DTH van der Merwe – Captain :D

Probable first XV for Scotland:

1 Barker
2 Barkwill
3 Ilnicki
4 Larsen
5 Olmstead
6 Rumball
7 Heaton
8 Ardron
9 Mack/Ferg

10 O'Leary
11 DTH
12 Blevins - for his 'defence'
13 LeSage
14 Hassler
15 Parfrey

Injury list or not selected to give them time to heal for November:

Kyle Baillie
Brett Beukeboom
Matt Beukeboom
Matt Evans
Ciaran Hearn
Dan Moor
Taylor Paris
Matt Tierney
Conor Trainor

7s crap:

Connor Braid
Admir Cejvanovic
Andrew Coe

Link to video explaining the squad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWUEzVZ_2k8

Three confused faces for McRorie, Blevins and Kotlewski! The Calgary rugby mafia will be coming after you. Hell, McRorie and Blevins were the best players on the field last Saturday. Who would you want to replace them? Sauder had a nice run against a tired, beaten Arrows' defence. Outside of him; nothing new. Surprised Mack is on for June. Is he not coaching Seattle?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:14 pm 

confused look are more based on we know what they 'bring' and doubt they will be there in '19, if we make the WC. Mack was a surprise as he is coaching Seattle too. The link to the video gives some, minimal, background on the selections. A lot of guys were left out to either heal/get in game shape/allow them to play be available in November.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:26 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
confused look are more based on we know what they 'bring' and doubt they will be there in '19, if we make the WC. Mack was a surprise as he is coaching Seattle too. The link to the video gives some, minimal, background on the selections. A lot of guys were left out to either heal/get in game shape/allow them to play be available in November.

TBF, we know what almost all of the players "bring" to the field. The bulk of the team has lost many times with Canada the last few years. Experimentation is out, now; the team has to win some games. I will bet you a drink McRorie and Blevins will be on the RWC team: I will bet you two drinks. I am glad Lloyd made the squad. I saw him a few years ago with the Blues and thought he was rough but had potential. Did he play on any of RC's national junior teams? I do not think he did. Full credit to him: he stuck it out, continued with rugby and improved his game. A number of young players give it up when they go unnoticed at the national level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:56 pm 

Yeah, I am glad he is there and Cole Davis. You are right, due to our set up, we lose out on a lot of 'late bloomers.' TBH, I think you are right, I think both will make the WC squad. Blevins will due to lack of depth at 12 and McRorie for his 'cover' ability. A better bet would be does Parfrey and Barkwill make it? I can see both of them too, Parfrey especially in injuries pile up. Yuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:13 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Yeah, I am glad he is there and Cole Davis. You are right, due to our set up, we lose out on a lot of 'late bloomers.' TBH, I think you are right, I think both will make the WC squad. Blevins will due to lack of depth at 12 and McRorie for his 'cover' ability. A better bet would be does Parfrey and Barkwill make it? I can see both of them too, Parfrey especially in injuries pile up. Yuck.

Parfrey and others are paid to train and play for Canada. It is one of the problems with centralization. I can see Barkwill making it; he is still our best hooker. There is the age thing, but it does not worry me too much. Although, he could wake up one morning and his legs are done. For Parfrey, as you said, it is injuries. Evans, Paris, Trainor, Hearn are in front of him and not on this team. There are also a couple of younger guys who could jump him in the queue. If we make the RWC, some eligibles may want in. It has happened before. I have always been convinced Rugby Canada has no idea the number of players out there who are eligible for Canada. I would not worry about them. I would forget the 7s guys, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 pm 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Parfrey, and others, are paid to train and play for Canada. It is one of the problems with centralization. I can see Barkwill making it; he is still our best hooker. There is the age thing, but it does not worry me too much. Although, he could wake up one morning and his legs are done. For Parfrey, as you said, it is injuries. Evans, Paris, Trainor, Hearn are in front of him and not on this team. There are also a couple of younger guys who could jump him in the queue. If we make the RWC, some eligibles may want in. It has happened before. I have always been convinced Rugby Canada has no idea the number of players out there who are eligible for Canada. I would not worry about them. I would forget the 7s guys, too.

Yes, Parfrey is in the squad today to justify the money the spent to fly him across the country, no question. I think it is more arrogance then anything else that keeps our overseas qualified players out. Why has Blanchett never gotten a call up? Surely he is a better 6 then most of the other fringe players. Did you watch the video of BK and our coach? They had to throw in a comment how how great the COE set up is in preparing our players. FFS.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:39 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Parfrey, and others, are paid to train and play for Canada. It is one of the problems with centralization. I can see Barkwill making it; he is still our best hooker. There is the age thing, but it does not worry me too much. Although, he could wake up one morning and his legs are done. For Parfrey, as you said, it is injuries. Evans, Paris, Trainor, Hearn are in front of him and not on this team. There are also a couple of younger guys who could jump him in the queue. If we make the RWC, some eligibles may want in. It has happened before. I have always been convinced Rugby Canada has no idea the number of players out there who are eligible for Canada. I would not worry about them. I would forget the 7s guys, too.

Yes, Parfrey is in the squad today to justify the money the spent to fly him across the country, no question. I think it is more arrogance then anything else that keeps our overseas qualified players out. Why has Blanchett never gotten a call up? Surely he is a better 6 then most of the other fringe players. Did you watch the video of BK and our coach? They had to throw in a comment how how great the COE set up is in preparing our players. FFS.

Blanchet is a strange call. My take is he does not want to come over. Perhaps it is a contract thing. Surely RC would have asked James Pritchard about the quality of Blanchet. But maybe I am giving RC too much credit. Blanchet is just one of the names we, and RC, know about. There will be many others out there who are eligible for us. Truthfully, for me, all of this unabashed poaching is hurting the international game.

I did not watch the video. I disagree completely how Rugby Canada oversees and runs the Men's XVs game. I am trying to go through this year with giving RC as little of my money as possible. I am a player's guy. I will always support them, but some of the people who run/ran the game at the national level leave me cold and steaming at the same time. A bloke I know bought me a ticket for the Test next week. But it will probably cost me more in drinks than the price of the ticket.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:32 am 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Blanchet is a strange call. My take is he does not want to come over. Perhaps it is a contract thing. Surely RC would have asked James Pritchard about the quality of Blanchet. But maybe I am giving RC too much credit. Blanchet is just one of the names we, and RC, know about. There will be many others out there who are eligible for us. Truthfully, for me, all of this unabashed poaching is hurting the international game.

I did not watch the video. I disagree completely how Rugby Canada oversees and runs the Men's XVs game. I am trying to go through this year with giving RC as little of my money as possible. I am a player's guy. I will always support them, but some of the people who run/ran the game at the national level leave me cold and steaming at the same time. A bloke I know bought me a ticket for the Test next week. But it will probably cost me more in drinks than the price of the ticket.

If it is the bloke who I think it is, it will cost you a lot more than the face value of the ticket.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:15 pm 

Less then a week out of the Scotland test. Figure they will get between 8 - 10k on the day. Was a strange decision to hold it in that stadium.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm 

What is the weather forecast looking like (while acknowledging much can change over the next few days, weather forecasting being what it is)?

8k (we'll be conservative)... that is underwhelming.

I imagine the venue is cheap. It is also a worthy goal to spread the games around the country. But the filthy lucre is goal #1 right now

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:44 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:
What is the weather forecast looking like (while acknowledging much can change over the next few days, weather forecasting being what it is)?

I imagine the venue is cheap. It is also a worthy goal to spread the games around the country. But the filthy lucre is goal #1 right now

Long way out but the weather looks like it will be fine.

Could have a decent walk up crowd. I figure around 6k tickets already sold, judging by https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/event/1100547098D96F82

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Morgan14 wrote:

Long way out but the weather looks like it will be fine.

Could have a decent walk up crowd. I figure around 6k tickets already sold, judging by https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/event/1100547098D96F82

Perhaps if Rugby Canada would put out a winning, entertaining team on the field more people would be willing to buy tickets.

The national union should be pleased it has any supporters left.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 pm 

I get your point and to a degree you are right. They have burned away a lot of good will over the past decades. Their short-sightedness has become very apparent. They clearly had no plan to deal with professionalism and had no idea on how to grow the game. In many ways I think they are trying that now but they missed a golden opportunity to do it when they could do it behind the press of a national team that could do well and build momentum.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
I get your point and to a degree you are right. They have burned away a lot of good will over the past decades. Their short-sightedness has become very apparent. They clearly had no plan to deal with professionalism and had no idea on how to grow the game. In many ways I think they are trying that now but they missed a golden opportunity to do it when they could do it behind the press of a national team that could do well and build momentum.

Professionalism is a generation old. We used that excuse in the late '90s and early '00s. We cannot keep using it. If Canada had a thriving men's XVs team that would be threatening to break into the top 10, RC would get 45000-55000 for the All Blacks and not 24000 for the Maori. Men's XVs rugby drives the world game and every nation's game, but do not tell RC that info. It does not want to hear about it. RC thought, still thinks, it could 'grow' the game by going a different direction. The national union thought it knew better. It was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 am 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Professionalism is a generation old. We used that excuse in the late '90s and early '00s. We cannot keep using it. If Canada had a thriving men's XVs team that would be threatening to break into the top 10, RC would get 45000-55000 for the All Blacks and not 24000 for the Maori. Men's XVs rugby drives the world game and every nation's game, but do not tell RC that info. It does not want to hear about it. RC thought, still thinks, it could 'grow' the game by going a different direction. The national union thought it knew better. It was wrong.

I have reconciled myself to Canadian rugby always being a tier 3 sport in this country which causes it to be a tier 3 sport internationally. Once you get past the belief/hope that we will be successful on the big stage it is much easier.

I truly hope this will change, but don't expect it to happen in my lifetime. Maybe in my boy's life time, who, BTW is the 2nd leading try scorer on this U-13 team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 am 

hornets wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

I have reconciled myself to Canadian rugby always being a tier 3 sport in this country which causes it to be a tier 3 sport internationally. Once you get past the belief/hope that we will be successful on the big stage it is much easier.

I truly hope this will change, but don't expect it to happen in my lifetime. Maybe in my boy's life time, who, BTW is the 2nd leading try scorer on this U-13 team.

I am still resisting, but coming around to that too. Sadly. What a mess. Congrats on your boy. Don't let RC ruin him.

Canuckles, Agree completely. Why is Coe still with 7s? Rediculous. How much will the hype the 7s at the game on 7s? I am sure Rees, yuck, will do the commentary, him and mentioning 7s would be a good drinking game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:08 pm 

Marketing 101 from Rugby Canada.

This will bring in the crowds, good job guys! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote:
STATS & FACTS: CANADA VS. SCOTLAND - TICKETS AVAILABLE
04/06/2018

Rugby 15s Senior Men
Canada's Men's Rugby Team open their Summer Test Match Series against Scotland in Edmonton this coming Saturday.

Time: 7pm local time (9pm ET/6pm PT), June 9
Place: Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, AB
Tickets: https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/event/1100547098D96F82

World Rugby Rankings:
Canada: 21
Scotland: 6

Most Capped Players in squad:
Canada:
DTH van der Merwe: 51
Ray Barkwill: 50
Nick Blevins: 49
Phil Mack: 49

Scotland:
Richie Gray: 65
Stuart Hogg: 60
David Denton: 39

Uncapped Players in Squad:
Canada:
Theo Sauder

Scotland:
Lewis Carmichael
Jamie Ritchie
James Lang
Matt Fagerson
George Horne
Adam Hastings

Canada vs. Scottish Opposition:

August 29, 2015: Canada 19-12 Glasgow Warriors | Graves-Oakley Memorial Park, Halifax
June 14, 2014: Canada 17-19 Scotland | BMO Field, Toronto
November 21, 2008: Canada 0-41 Scotland | Pittodre Stadium, Aberdeen, Scotland
June 7, 2008: Canada 10-24 Scotland 'A' | Twin Elm Rugby Park, Ottawa
June 7, 2006: Canada 10-15 Scotland 'A' | Twin Elm Rugby Park, Ottawa
June 15, 2002: Canada 26-23 Scotland | Thunderbird Stadium, Vancouver
January 21, 1995: Canada 6-22 Scotland | Murrayfield, Edinburgh, Scotland
May 25, 1991: Canada 24-19 Scotland XV | Saint John, New Brunswick

Record: 3-0-5

Canada vs. 2018 Opposition:

March 3, 2018: Canada 33-17 Chile | La Serena, Chile
February 24, 2018: Canada 15-40 Argentina XV | Jujuy, Argentina
February 17, 2018: Canada 45-5 Brazil | Westhills Stadium, Langford
February 10, 2018: Canada 10-29 USA | Sacramento, California
February 3, 2018: Canada 31-32 Uruguay | Montevideo, Uruguay
January 27, 2018: Canada 29-38 Uruguay | BC Place, Vancouver

Record: 2-0-4

Canada Squad:
Tyler Ardron – Co-Captain, Chiefs/Ontario Blues (Lakefield, ON)
Noah Barker – James Bay AA/BC Bears (Courtenay, BC)
Ray Barkwill – Seattle Seawolves/Ontario Blues (Niagara Falls, ON)
Nick Blevins – Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Luke Campbell – James Bay AA/BC Bears (Victoria, BC)
Paul Ciulini – Aurora Barbarians/Ontario Blues (Vaughan, ON)
Cole Davis – Calgary Saints/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Dustin Dobravsky – Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears (Hanover, Germany)
Guiseppe du Toit – UVIC Vikes/BC Bears (Maple Ridge, BC)
Andrew Ferguson – Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
Doug Fraser – Castaway Wanderers/BC Bears (Ladysmith, BC)
Jeff Hassler – Unattached/Prairie Wolf Pack (Okotoks, AB)
Matt Heaton – Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock (Godmanchester, QC)
Eric Howard – New Orleans Gold/Ontario Blues (Ottawa, ON)
Jake Ilnicki – Yorkshire Carnegie/BC Bears (Williams Lake, BC)
Cole Keith – James Bay AA/Atlantic Rock (Sussex, NB)
Conor Keys – UVIC Vikes/Atlantic Rock (Stittsville, ON)
Ryan Kotlewski – Westshore RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Josh Larsen – Otago (Parksville, BC)
Ben LeSage – UBC Thunderbirds/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Kainoa Lloyd – Mississauga Blues/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
Phil Mack – Co-Captain, Seattle Seawolves/BC Bears (Victoria, BC)
Gordon McRorie – Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack (Calgary, AB)
Shane O’Leary – Ealing Trailfinders (Cork, Ireland)
Evan Olmstead – Auckland/Prairie Wolf Pack (Vancouver, BC)
Pat Parfrey – Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock (St. John’s, NL)
Lucas Rumball – Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues (Mississauga, ON)
Theo Sauder – UBC Thunderbirds (Vancouver, BC)
Djustice Sears-Duru – Unattached/Ontario Blues (Oakville, ON)
DTH van der Merwe – Captain, Glasgow Warriors (Victoria, BC)

Scotland Squad:

Forwards (18):

Props: Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors), Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Murray McCallum (Edinburgh Rugby);
Hookers: Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby, capt), George Turner (Glasgow Warriors).
Locks: Lewis Carmichael (Edinburgh Rugby), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby), Richie Gray (Toulouse), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby).
Back-rows: Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh Rugby), David Denton (Worcester Warriors), Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Luke Hamilton (Leicester Tigers), Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby).

Backs (15):

Back three: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors), Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby), Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks).
Centres: Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors), Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor (Saracens).
Fly-halves: Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors), Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors), James Lang (Harlequins).
Scrum-halves: Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), George Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors).

link: https://rugby.ca/en/news/2018/06/stats- ... -available

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:11 pm 

That looks like a straight copy & paste job. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:16 pm 

Bowens wrote:
That looks like a straight copy & paste job. :lol:

That's how RC is marketing this test in Edmonton. Genius by them. :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:24 pm 

Quote:
Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors)

Was going to say that he probably won't get much time with Hogg there, but would probably do okay against us.

I can't believe he's still a national team player, to be honest. Wiki tells me that he's played for Scotland 7s this year ... jaysus! I only remember him at FH, so guess never saw his pace, but at 30 years old, he must have some gas to make the 7s team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:54 pm 

It's good of the Scots to come over. Hopefully we're able to give them a game.

Wish we were playing the Romanians and Georgians too somewhere in this summer series.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:57 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:

Wish we were playing the Romanians and Georgians too somewhere in this summer series.

Yeah, me too. I was at the Romania game last summer, rediculous that we lost. DTH was awesome though, yeah I know he costed us a try with his yellow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Morgan14 wrote:

Yeah, me too. I was at the Romania game last summer, rediculous that we lost. DTH was awesome though, yeah I know he costed us a try with his yellow.

Hopefully he's still got some magic left in him. Same with Hassler. We'll need it!!

I wonder who the ref will be, do you happen to know?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm 

Hassler is still as good as he ever was. Been around a while but still only 26.

DTH has a solid season or two left in the tank.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:41 pm 

Just saw on FB that they are doing a 25% discount on tickets now for the Saturday test. Damn, should have waited longer to buy mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:23 pm 

Link below for some local press on the game. Good to see the city planning some specials for Kish. Poor of RC not to make McRorie available for a bit of press with Jones.

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/other-spo ... rugby-team

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:46 pm 

I am sure the game yesterday looked as bad on TV as it did live. I cannot think of anything positive to come out of the game. Our national team is in a horrible mess, and the drop in quality from when we played Scotland four years ago and from the 2011 RWC is shocking. When DTH went down at the end last night it was time to go. I hope he has a knock and not an injury. If it is the former, he should not see the field for the rest of June. RC should forget about playing Ardron next week, too. Credit to the 12800 fans who turned out for the match. The players deserve the support; Rugby Canada does not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:09 pm 

...well, there's really very very little to talk about. Lucky they didn't put another 50 pointer on us might be the most positive thing I can think of. We are shockingly sh*t at pretty much every aspect of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:27 am 

I've trolled this forum forever but finally got around to signing up.

I didn't watch the game, was at the Wolfpack match in Toronto. Had a blast and was certainly a nice break from RC. I am not giving any support to the National Body this year, I didn't sign up to coach and I'm not buying any merchandise or watching any matches.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:50 pm 

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
I've trolled this forum forever but finally got around to signing up.

I didn't watch the game, was at the Wolfpack match in Toronto. Had a blast and was certainly a nice break from RC. I am not giving any support to the National Body this year, I didn't sign up to coach and I'm not buying any merchandise or watching any matches.

On behalf of the old boys, welcome to the thread. It does not get as much action as in the past, nor is the bored the manic place it used to be, but I still find it a useful place to keep one insane.

Let's be a bit optimistic and look at the U20s (if anyone knows of a stream for today's game pass it along), from Neil Davidson at CP:

With the help of some generous benefactors, the Canadian under-20 rugby team is set to take on the U.S. to see who advances to the World Rugby U20 Trophy 2018.
The two teams face off in Houston on Tuesday evening before meeting in a rematch Saturday afternoon, part of a doubleheader with the U.S.-Scotland test match.
The North American playoff winner will join host Romania, Fiji, Hong Kong, Namibia, Portugal and Uruguay as well as Samoa, relegated from last year's World Rugby U20 Championship in the second-tier World Rugby Trophy in Bucharest from Aug. 24 to Sept. 10.
Coach Jeff Williams has opted for six forwards and two backs on his bench Tuesday, reckoning the heat and humidity of Texas may take a toll on his big men.
University of Victoria flanker James O'Neill captains the young Canadians. He is one of the returning players from last year playoff series along with hooker Jack McRogers, winger Jack McCarthy and scrum half Will Percillier.
Lock Quentin James is the son of former Canadian captain Mike James.
Canada advanced 71-39 on aggregate last year after beating the visiting U.S. 46-12 in the first game and losing 27-25 in the second.
The Canadians went on to finish seventh at the World Rugby Trophy in Uruguay, blanking Hong Kong 38-0 after losses to Chile, Japan and Namibia. Japan beat Portugal 14-3 in the final, earning promotion to the first-tier World Rugby U20 Championship
Williams has had about a month to prepare his team, more than usual in the cash-strapped landscape of age-group rugby in Canada. That's due to the generosity of the Canada Under-20 Support Group — Karl Fix, David Robertson, Andrew Purdey, Bill Webb, Mike Holmes and former Canadian national team coach Pat Parfrey — and Shawnigan Lake School on Vancouver Island.
"They are friends of rugby," said Williams
Should the Canadians get past the Americans, they will hold a preparation camp at Shawnigan Lake School in August.
Williams says his squad has a high rugby IQ, able to react quickly.
"We consider them quite athletic but very blue-collar in their attitude and work ethic," he added.

Canada Under-20 Roster
Gavin Kratz, UVIC Vikes, Victoria; Jack McRogers, McMaster University, Toronto; Tyler Rowland, UBC Thunderbirds, Toronto; Quentin James, Perpignan (France), Vancouver; Reid Davis, Bayside RFC, Surrey, B.C.; Owain Ruttan, UBC Thunderbirds, Toronto; James O'Neill, UVIC Vikes, Cochrane, Alta,; Michael Smith, UBC Thunderbirds, Vancouver; Will Percillier, UBC Thunderbirds, Victoria; Steven Commerford, Brock University, Toronto; Jack McCarthy, Vandals RFC, St. John’s, N.L.; Kevin Vertkas, UBC Thunderbirds, Toronto; Seth Purdey, UC Berkeley, Shawnigan Lake, B.C.; Elias Ergas, UBC Thunderbirds, Vancouver; Brennig Prevost, UVIC Vikes, Victoria.
Replacements
Tyler Wong, UVIC Vikes, Vancouver; Emerson Prior, Trent University, Toronto; Stephen Mallard, Swiler’s RFC, St. John's, N.L.; Ben Newhook, Vandals RFC, St. John's, N.L.; Jackson Matthews, UVIC Vikes, Montreal; Peter Ingoldsby, Exmouth RFC (England); Brock Gallagher, James Bay AA, Edmonton; Mostyn Findley, UVIC Vikes, Regina.

I agree with you about RC, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:44 pm 

Interesting that both the U20 matches are in the US (although perhaps they switch up hosting duties every year to keep costs lower? I genuinely don't know). Not ideal, but hopefully they go well. Can't say I recognize any names but that's not a knock on the team, more my lack of knowledge.

Welcome Canadian_Rugger, and your stance re RC is understandable, hard to get excited to watch your team get hammered by 40 points when they're presumably in preparation for world cup qualification.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 am 

Canada won the first leg of the qualifier 60 - 22. Yanks got a red card.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:

Well, shoot. That'll be pretty difficult (impossible?) to come back from. Was the card somewhat early for them to ship 60 points or were they really not that good?

Unless it was a plummy thing, gotta kinda feel for someone who's cost his team a shot at a big tournament like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:

Yes! Outstanding! It is little wonder the Yanks did not put up a stream.

There is good talent in the back and front rows on the team and Vertkas has the potential to be good backline player, that is if RC does not ruin him by sticking the guy in 7s.

Do not let up in the second game, boys. Give'r.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:11 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Well, shoot. That'll be pretty difficult (impossible?) to come back from. Was the card somewhat early for them to ship 60 points or were they really not that good?

Unless it was a plummy thing, gotta kinda feel for someone who's cost his team a shot at a big tournament like that.

red card was for a punch, early 2nd half I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 am 

According to BR, Yanks are missing quite a few guys but just like Scotland on Saturday, we can only play who's in front of us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 987 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next