Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 pm 

Where would a Vancouver team play?

Thunderbird is a pain location. Brockton sort of is as well.

Capilano grounds?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:29 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
Where would a Vancouver team play?

Thunderbird is a pain location. Brockton sort of is as well.

Capilano grounds?

Swangard?

Edit: Have also heard that have talked about BC Place too, hopefully that is long term thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:30 pm 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
I have nothing against Victoria, but could a MLR franchise survive in Rugby Canada's backyard? There is no way a team could keep RC at arm's length.

Halifax would be good, but it looks like the area will get a CFL team. Rugby could have made serious inroads in the Maritimes, a place with no junior football. Another chance missed for rugby in our country.

I would view a Victoria team as a short term solution. Start it there for a year or two and then move it to Vancouver.

No idea about flights to Halifax but I would imagine they would be expensive as hell, even for east coast U.S. cities.

You know a league is on tenterhooks when it judges potential locations based on airfares.

I have always thought that Canada's secondary cities would support rugby as well, or better, than our major cities.

It's not just airfare but also flight availability. Wouldn't mind seeing a team in Halifax though and if they get their act together and get organized and get a franchise, good on them. I wish them all the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:48 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
I have nothing against Victoria, but could a MLR franchise survive in Rugby Canada's backyard? There is no way a team could keep RC at arm's length.

Halifax would be good, but it looks like the area will get a CFL team. Rugby could have made serious inroads in the Maritimes, a place with no junior football. Another chance missed for rugby in our country.

I would view a Victoria team as a short term solution. Start it there for a year or two and then move it to Vancouver.

No idea about flights to Halifax but I would imagine they would be expensive as hell, even for east coast U.S. cities.

You know a league is on tenterhooks when it judges potential locations based on airfares.

I have always thought that Canada's secondary cities would support rugby as well, or better, than our major cities.

It's not just airfare but also flight availability. Wouldn't mind seeing a team in Halifax though and if they get their act together and get organized and get a franchise, good on them. I wish them all the best.

Shit, man, the joint is in Atlantic Canada and not the Arctic Circle. I heard it has entered the 21st century and has allowed Sunday shopping.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 pm 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:

Shit, man, the joint is in Atlantic Canada and not the Arctic Circle. I heard it has entered the 21st century and has allowed Sunday shopping.

The Halifax discussion happened on the T2 forum last year. Every city last year in MLR, and probably this year too, had fairly cheap direct flights between them. Halifax would neither be direct, nor cheap. Here's what I found last year when I looked at flights:

Quote:
I was curious so I just looked at flights to Halifax for a few teams, using 4 weeks from today as the departure date. 1 stop flights only:

San Diego: $1027
Seattle: $768, 14 hours travel time outbound, 10 hours travel time return. If looking at under 10 hours of travel time, it was $1080.
SLC: $764
Denver: $827, 12 hours travel time outbound. $1143 for under 10 hours travel time.

Would Halifax be enough of a value add to overcome that? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

I have to admit, I am looking at it from a filthy Canadian's point of view. But, c'mon, the players in MLR are not big leaguers. Guys in Triple A and the AHL are busing it for hours. Kids in the Dub are long-hauling from Brandon to Victoria and back through Canadian winters. The poor darlings in MLR cannot catch connecting flights?

The more I look at MLR the more I see it as a strange place. By what you are saying, goeagles, the criteria for a location is not what it can, or may, bring to the table, but the associated expenses with the location: "Hey, such in such place has cheap, direct flights, let's put a team there."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:39 pm 

I see what you are getting at Canuckles but hockey is ingrained in our culture here, rugby is not. Perception is reality some times Example: Football is safer then rugby. Don't know how many times I have had that discussion. Would I be against a Halifax MLR franchise? No. Do I see it happening? No. Would I rather see a Vancouver franchise? Yes. For many reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:52 pm 

As a settler well happy we'll be getting a regular decent standard to watch in summer here in GTA. Nothing wrong with Crusaders or Brantford Quins games mind but tis great for the parish and for 15s development here.

May already have been discussed but where will the games will be played? TBC on the website. Guessing they won't spread them out in year one to establish a base.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 pm 

Spankyf wrote:
As a settler well happy we'll be getting a regular decent standard to watch in summer here in GTA. Nothing wrong with Crusaders or Brantford Quins games mind but tis great for the parish and for 15s development here.

May already have been discussed but where will the games will be played? TBC on the website. Guessing they won't spread them out in year one to establish a base.

Who the hell are you? Where do you come from? How old are you? What position do you play (Hopefully hooker) and are you Canadian qualified?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 pm 

I tore up the wing with Mississauga Blues as a 5 8' 145lb whippet for a season so can easily slot in at hooker given the standard :smug:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 pm 

Spankyf wrote:
I tore up the wing with Mississauga Blues as a 5 8' 145lb whippet for a season so can easily slot in at hooker given the standard :smug:

No offence but with your height/weight you may be the right size for hooker with our local U 16 team.... Maybe you are even a bit to light for that age grade... Maybe more like U 14 hooker......

Just kidding...

Not really......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:38 am 

canuckles wrote:
I have to admit, I am looking at it from a filthy Canadian's point of view. But, c'mon, the players in MLR are not big leaguers. Guys in Triple A and the AHL are busing it for hours. Kids in the Dub are long-hauling from Brandon to Victoria and back through Canadian winters. The poor darlings in MLR cannot catch connecting flights?

The more I look at MLR the more I see it as a strange place. By what you are saying, goeagles, the criteria for a location is not what it can, or may, bring to the table, but the associated expenses with the location: "Hey, such in such place has cheap, direct flights, let's put a team there."

What does Halifax bring to the table for the existing teams? Why would existing teams want a team in Halifax? It's not a major TV market, it's not a market that is familiar to American fans (no existing rivalries from other sports and most Americans don't even know Halifax is a Canadian city, much less where it is on a map) and it's a logistical headache both financially and organizationally.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 am 

goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:

What does Halifax bring to the table for the existing teams? Why would existing teams want a team in Halifax? It's not a major TV market, it's not a market that is familiar to American fans (no existing rivalries from other sports and most Americans don't even know Halifax is a Canadian city, much less where it is on a map) and it's a logistical headache both financially and organizationally.

Good lobster?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:35 am 

goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:
What does Halifax bring to the table for the existing teams? .

Harbour fireworks.........

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm 

goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:

Are you kidding? Halifax would be great - at least the place has some decent pubs. How many Americans outside of Colorado have heard of Glendale? The only thing that team offers is cheap, direct flights to Denver. You are the one that said MLR needs Canadian teams. Moose, who knows Vancouver well, said above he doubts Vancouver would support a team. So where should they go?

For amusement, a few months back, I went on something called Reddit MLR, talk about a place filled with fanboys. It was awful. They kept going on that MLR has to be here, or there - major TV markets. What? MLR is Single A/Double AA stuff. Austin could move to Albuquerque, San Diego could move to San Bernardino and few people would notice and fewer would care.

I do not get the talk in and around MLR that it has to be in major markets. The league is small time (in relation to North American sports) and there does not appear to be Hunt family money involved in it. The only reason the NBA went to Triple A cities like Salt Lake City and Sacramento was big league cities did not want any teams. Anaheim and San Jose do nothing for the NHL's American TV ratings. Even in multi-billion dollar leagues like MLB and the NHL, local economies drive their teams. If there is a rich guy in Providence who has a 5000 seat stadium and wants in MLR bad enough, a team will be in Providence.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:46 pm 

canuckles wrote:
goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:

Are you kidding? Halifax would be great - at least the place has some decent pubs. How many Americans outside of Colorado have heard of Glendale? The only thing that team offers is cheap, direct flights to Denver. You are the one that said MLR needs Canadian teams. Moose, who knows Vancouver well, said above he doubts Vancouver would support a team. So where should they go?

For amusement, a few months back, I went on something called Reddit MLR, talk about a place filled with fanboys. It was awful. They kept going on that MLR has to be here, or there - major TV markets. What? MLR is Single A/Double AA stuff. Austin could move to Albuquerque, San Diego could move to San Bernardino and few people would notice and fewer would care.

I do not get the talk in and around MLR that it has to be in major markets. The league is small time (in relation to North American sports) and there does not appear to be Hunt family money involved in it. The only reason the NBA went to Triple A cities like Salt Lake City and Sacramento was big league cities did not want any teams. Anaheim and San Jose do nothing for the NHL's American TV ratings. Even in multi-billion dollar leagues like MLB and the NHL, local economies drive their teams. If there is a rich guy in Providence who has a 5000 seat stadium and wants in MLR bad enough, a team will be in Providence.

Clearly the answer to "what would Halifax offer to existing MLR teams?" is "nothing". Having a few decent bars is nice for fans but really does nothing to answer that question. Glendale brings the Denver media market and is not only a founding member of the league, but was basically the lynchpin for the entire formation of the league. I'd prefer they had the name Denver instead of Glendale, but I don't see that changing any time soon and it's only a name. MLR doesn't have to be in major media markets, but if it does, it needs to have a good reason to do so.

Saying major cities didn't want NBA teams makes no sense. When the Kings moved to Sacramento in 1985, the NBA had teams in nearly every major metro area in the US, including LA, New York, Boston, Chicago, DC, Bay Area, etc. Sac is a top 20 media market in the US, by the way.

No, Providence, or some similar city, isn't getting an MLR team unless they paid some outrageous expansion fee. There are lots of cities, or rather groups from those cities, that want MLR teams right now. I know a couple people involved with bids in other cities and MLR isn't going to expand to just any city that wants a team. You need to have more than just money and a suitable venue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 pm 

goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:
goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:

Clearly the answer to "what would Halifax offer to existing MLR teams?" is "nothing". Having a few decent bars is nice for fans but really does nothing to answer that question. Glendale brings the Denver media market and is not only a founding member of the league, but was basically the lynchpin for the entire formation of the league. I'd prefer they had the name Denver instead of Glendale, but I don't see that changing any time soon and it's only a name. MLR doesn't have to be in major media markets, but if it does, it needs to have a good reason to do so.

Saying major cities didn't want NBA teams makes no sense. When the Kings moved to Sacramento in 1985, the NBA had teams in nearly every major metro area in the US, including LA, New York, Boston, Chicago, DC, Bay Area, etc. Sac is a top 20 media market in the US, by the way.

No, Providence, or some similar city, isn't getting an MLR team unless they paid some outrageous expansion fee. There are lots of cities, or rather groups from those cities, that want MLR teams right now. I know a couple people involved with bids in other cities and MLR isn't going to expand to just any city that wants a team. You need to have more than just money and a suitable venue.

What does Austin or San Diego do for MLR at this moment that other American cities do not? Of course one can say Austin is the capitol of a massive growth state and San Diego covers southern California. MLR is so new and so, comparatively, small everything is based on potentialities. I get it that the endgame of MLR is a TV contract. We will have Atlanta-southeast is covered; we will have Boston-northeast is covered; we have Toronto-international is covered. But those cities in-and-of-themselves do not make you big league. If MLR survives, it will be where commitment equals money. The NBA was in Portland and a 10,000 seat arena and the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City because of them. Numerous people want in MLR because the financial cost is, comparatively, small. The men behind the Arrows are not big bucks guys. As I said above, I find MLR a strange place, but I am for MLR and will support the Arrows. This conversation started because a rugby guy who lives close to Vancouver believes the city would not support a MLR team. I think he raised an interesting point.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:30 pm 

Vancouver is a great city

Wasn't Vancouver voted top IRB 7's stop of the year by the players this year.... ?

Vancouver fans definately support the IRB 7's event .

I just don't think Vancouver sports fans are all that loyal / committed though... ... It is true that they well support their Baseball single A team Vancouver Canadians sell out pretty much on a regular basis....

One advantage Vancouver has over other cities is quite a large number of youth and females playing rugby.... that could help with marketing the game to families....

One thing for sure... Vancouver downtown has great airport access / climate / and a vibrant downtown for visiting fans to enjoy.

MLR is very exciting prospect for our domestic players... Wish it would have existed when i was younger.

If Canada goes back to a residential U 23 side based out of Victoria playing in the BC Prem league.... that will give us 4 -5 well trained sides.. UBC, UVIC , Queens, Arrows, and a return of the U 23 Residential side ( Pride ) d to Victoria.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:08 pm 

canuckles wrote:
goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:
goeagles wrote:
canuckles wrote:

What does Austin or San Diego do for MLR at this moment that other American cities do not? Of course one can say Austin is the capitol of a massive growth state and San Diego covers southern California. MLR is so new and so, comparatively, small everything is based on potentialities. I get it that the endgame of MLR is a TV contract. We will have Atlanta-southeast is covered; we will have Boston-northeast is covered; we have Toronto-international is covered. But those cities in-and-of-themselves do not make you big league. If MLR survives, it will be where commitment equals money. The NBA was in Portland and a 10,000 seat arena and the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City because of them. Numerous people want in MLR because the financial cost is, comparatively, small. The men behind the Arrows are not big bucks guys. As I said above, I find MLR a strange place, but I am for MLR and will support the Arrows. This conversation started because a rugby guy who lives close to Vancouver believes the city would not support a MLR team. I think he raised an interesting point.

Austin and San Diego were founding members and put up the money and had the organizational capability when others (Chicago, KC, Dallas and Minneapolis to name a few) didn't. If they hadn't and they were trying to get in today, it would be a different story. That's true for teams in most sports leagues. Green Bay wouldn't get an NFL expansion team today, but there is no desire for the NFL to move them or get rid of them for obvious reasons.

The end game is not a TV contract, but a better TV contract. The league already has a nationwide TV contract with CBS Sports, to go with ESPN+ and local channels.

No doubt it's possible that Vancouver may not support MLR enough to be viable. Obviously the situations are different but the NBA didn't work there. All I'm saying is that I think it's unlikely Halifax provides enough value for MLR to be interested at this point. If they decide they want a team in Halifax and there's a group willing to put up the money, great. Personally, it would be a good excuse to visit Nova Scotia.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:33 pm 

UBC's Will Percillier moving to the Stade Francais Academy program in France

goodluck to him

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:39 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:

goodluck to him

So great to see UBC's rugby program restored to its former glory. I was lucky to get to play at UBC in the 80's back when half our starting 15 were / went on to Canada Sr team. The team / program really tanked in the 90's. So great to see so many up and coming young players being developed at UBC now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:41 pm 

What does Austin or San Diego do for MLR at this moment that other American cities do not? Of course one can say Austin is the capitol of a massive growth state and San Diego covers southern California. MLR is so new and so, comparatively, small everything is based on potentialities. I get it that the endgame of MLR is a TV contract. We will have Atlanta-southeast is covered; we will have Boston-northeast is covered; we have Toronto-international is covered. But those cities in-and-of-themselves do not make you big league. If MLR survives, it will be where commitment equals money. The NBA was in Portland and a 10,000 seat arena and the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City because of them. Numerous people want in MLR because the financial cost is, comparatively, small. The men behind the Arrows are not big bucks guys. As I said above, I find MLR a strange place, but I am for MLR and will support the Arrows. This conversation started because a rugby guy who lives close to Vancouver believes the city would not support a MLR team. I think he raised an interesting point.[/quote]

Austin and San Diego were founding members and put up the money and had the organizational capability when others (Chicago, KC, Dallas and Minneapolis to name a few) didn't. If they hadn't and they were trying to get in today, it would be a different story. That's true for teams in most sports leagues. Green Bay wouldn't get an NFL expansion team today, but there is no desire for the NFL to move them or get rid of them for obvious reasons.

The end game is not a TV contract, but a better TV contract. The league already has a nationwide TV contract with CBS Sports, to go with ESPN+ and local channels.

No doubt it's possible that Vancouver may not support MLR enough to be viable. Obviously the situations are different but the NBA didn't work there. All I'm saying is that I think it's unlikely Halifax provides enough value for MLR to be interested at this point. If they decide they want a team in Halifax and there's a group willing to put up the money, great. Personally, it would be a good excuse to visit Nova Scotia.[/quote]

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:46 pm 

moosehead wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

goodluck to him

So great to see UBC's rugby program restored to its former glory. I was lucky to get to play at UBC in the 80's back when half our starting 15 were / went on to Canada Sr team. The team / program really tanked in the 90's. So great to see so many up and coming young players being developed at UBC now.

:)

He and O'Neill were our best at the U20s tournament. Percillier has a chance to be a player.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:25 am 

I received an email in the box that DAZN, which I use for rugby, just gained the rights for English soccer, which I do not give a toss about, from TSN and Sportsnet. So there you go Arrows, two national tv networks will be looking for content.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm 

Dsd going to Seattle for MLR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:38 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:

It is a bit of a surprise, thought he was going to the Arrows. Although his name was not in the two batches of players announced by Toronto. I do not mind seeing a number of our guys going a different route than the Arrows. The more Canadian players going to MLR the better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:39 pm 

Double post; apologies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:36 am 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

It is a bit of a surprise, thought he was going to the Arrows. Although his name was not in the two batches of players announced by Toronto. I do not mind seeing a number of our guys going a different route than the Arrows. The more Canadian players going to MLR the better.

Apparently his GF is from Vancouver. Which might explain why he's opted for Seattle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:31 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Apparently his GF is from Vancouver. Which might explain why he's opted for Seattle.

Hasn't anyone ever told him that girlfriends weaken legs? Glad he is with Seattle, they seem like a top organization and short sort him out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 am 

John Moonlight playing for the Arrows. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 am 

Nieghorn wrote:

I like it. Apparently he will not be playing every game but would be a great role model for the young guys. He trains hard and is very professional on and off the pitch. Good signing IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 am 

Nieghorn wrote:

He was retired, so even though he will still be in shape, he has to mentally get tuned in, especially in a form of rugby he has not played in over three years and being a part-time player. How many practices and training sessions can he make? It is hard enough for a coach at club level when guys cannot make practice, but being a coach at a semi-pro level, it will be challenging for the staff. Moonlight gives the Arrows some publicity. He probably helps the Arrows more off the field than on it.

It is no surprise none of the 7s guys went over. I was not expecting any of them to move. It would be good to see more of our U20s in the last 2-3 years to make the jump, but if a player signs with MLR, it must mean it will nullify a guy to play university rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 am 

Good points on Johnny.

Du Toit... :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:26 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
Good points on Johnny.

Don't disagree with you, he has been a disappointment but don't mind him for a depth signing. This is his, probably last, chance to make a name for himself and put his hand up for selection. Don't think he will, but I wish him good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:07 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Good points on Johnny.

Don't disagree with you, he has been a disappointment but don't mind him for a depth signing. This is his, probably last, chance to make a name for himself and put his hand up for selection. Don't think he will, but I wish him good luck.

I thought he was on a central contract? Perhaps he is still and there is an agreement with RC?

The Arrows not getting DSD hurts. The team needs another couple of front-rowers. The Arrows also lack height at lock.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:29 pm 

Re: tall locks ... maybe this cameraman could put on some beef and jump in lineouts ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:52 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Re: tall locks ... maybe this cameraman could put on some beef and jump in lineouts ...

Perhaps it is the angle of the shot, but the dude towers over Rumball. The talent looks to be under 5'.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:31 pm 

canuckles wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Good points on Johnny.

I thought he was on a central contract? Perhaps he is still and there is an agreement with RC?

The Arrows not getting DSD hurts. The team needs another couple of front-rowers. The Arrows also lack height at lock.

DSD needs to be close to his girlfriend. Glad he is at Seattle though, another solid club. I am just glad that we have them playing regularly now, hope it all works out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:08 am 

Seems like the Wolfpack forgot to pay their players, oops.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn ... -coming-in

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:56 pm 

Read that numbers of players are down significantly across the country (25% or more seems to be the figure I've been quoted), this despite the upsurge / influx from women playing. Not good

anybody else heard / read that or can refute it (please!)? Really hope it's not the case

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next