Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:49 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
So the new Kiwi hooker doesn’t dress for Chile, and we are still handing out starts to Parfrey and Blevins.

At least Howard and Piffero will actually play.

It's all part of a master plan. Clearly Parfrey is the best tier 3 FH in WR and we just can't see it, but Jones sees it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:10 pm 

Begs the question (I may have asked before), did Liam Underwood fall off the map? Surely he’d do a better job!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:13 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Begs the question (I may have asked before), did Liam Underwood fall off the map? Surely he’d do a better job!

That concussion while playing Georgia ended him. He was never the same after that, even in 7s. Very unfortunate as he was probably our best home grown #10 in a long time.

Coe, Sauder, Kelly all have hope of becoming talented backline players for us but Underwood was a head of them at that point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:53 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

That concussion while playing Georgia ended him. He was never the same after that, even in 7s. Very unfortunate as he was probably our best home grown #10 in a long time.

Coe, Sauder, Kelly all have hope of becoming talented backline players for us but Underwood was a head of them at that point.

It seems like we have had a couple of “next ones” at 10 who never worked out. I’d have to look back at rosters to see the names.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:56 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

It seems like we have had a couple of “next ones” at 10 who never worked out. I’d have to look back at rosters to see the names.

Jones and Hirayama never quite worked out in XVs, don't think they liked the physical nature of it, and decided to focus on 7s because it is less physical rugby. Also always got the impression that they liked being the 'big fish in the little pond.' Trainor was like that too but finally decided to go pro in France. I have high hopes for the 3 I have mentioned in the previous post. Although Coe should not be on the wing he should be at 13 or 15.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:57 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

I had to refresh myself, I remember it - Ardron got a red card along with the Georgian #6 for his (Ardron's) retaliation for what was a very cheap hit on Underwood. It was all the way back in 2013, I must admit I thoguht it was far more recent than that. He played on through 2016. Seems to be at BCIMC now, in the investment industry. Real shame for the Canadian team, I thought he was good.

I'll take a win, any win!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:19 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:
So the new Kiwi hooker doesn’t dress for Chile, and we are still handing out starts to Parfrey and Blevins.

At least Howard and Piffero will actually play.

It's all part of a master plan. Clearly Parfrey is the best tier 3 FH in WR and we just can't see it, but Jones sees it.

I expect to see him for Argentina and the USA. They are the BIG games for this ARC team. (The UBC squad of two-three years ago would beat Chile by 30.) If the Kiwi is eligible, get him out there and see what he can do.

I think all of us here knew Rugby Canada would go back to its old self after the players won the repechage. Look at the NSMT: It is suffering on the wing - DTH is wrecked, Hassler quit and Jones does not want Paris. Jones' and Rugby Canada's answer to the situation for the ARC: select six centres and one winger. What is the rationale for such decisions?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:23 pm 

Parfrey is in the team for one reason: his father.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:39 pm 

Bowens wrote:

I think he will be on the RWC team. I am not here to bag Parfrey, but late in the Brazil game, we are still in it, Parfrey is kicking to the corner for a five metre LO, he misses by 30 yards and the ball goes dead. Okay, all players make mistakes. But that mistake cannot happen at that point in the game. Our pack was being stuffed up front, and one of our backs made the situation worse and killed off our forwards. It was the type of play that should have a player benched in 2nd division Canadian club rugby.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:37 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Lots of Johnny Foreigners? Was du Toit a 10 at school? Several players called 'Connor', perhaps? Braid for sure. Harjun Gill was another who was talked up, but don't know if he was ever called up to a senior side. I thought he disappeared but just saw his name in a BC Bears roster from 2017.

I wonder, if there were no 7s or if he stayed with 15s, would Hirayama come good? Think he has the ability but too often looked like he was playing with a 7s mindset (ship it early to the wing) and wasn't able to adjust (can't blame him) back to what's needed at 15s.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm 

canuckles wrote:
Bowens wrote:

I think he will be on the RWC team. I am not here to bag Parfrey, but late in the Brazil game, we are still in it, Parfrey is kicking to the corner for a five metre LO, he misses by 30 yards and the ball goes dead. Okay, all players make mistakes. But that mistake cannot happen at that point in the game. Our pack was being stuffed up front, and one of our backs made the situation worse and killed off our forwards. It was the type of play that should have a player benched in 2nd division Canadian club rugby.

Come on now, you know nobody gets benched in 2nd Div rugby, hell fielding a full side is a joy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:38 pm 

For fly-halves of the future past, I was thinking back to Ryan Smith, who I think got moved out to the centres. I’m sure there were others from that era, some capped and some not. It would be interesting to see the 10s from past U18 and U20 teams over a long period of time. No doubt it’s been the toughest position to develop for both Canada and the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:27 am 

OttawaKat wrote:
For fly-halves of the future past, I was thinking back to Ryan Smith, who I think got moved out to the centres. I’m sure there were others from that era, some capped and some not. It would be interesting to see the 10s from past U18 and U20 teams over a long period of time. No doubt it’s been the toughest position to develop for both Canada and the USA.

I thought Smith was always a 12?

... I see Smith was listed as a FH for the 2007 RWC with Munro and Hirayama. Started a couple of matches there. I think that was a later move for him. I think he was a centre going back to 03, with Ross and Barker as FHs.

It would be interesting to see U19 / U20 squads over the years. I wonder if Mark at BC Rugby News has been going that long / keeps record?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:50 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
OttawaKat wrote:

I thought Smith was always a 12?

... I see Smith was listed as a FH for the 2007 RWC with Munro and Hirayama. Started a couple of matches there. I think that was a later move for him. I think he was a centre going back to 03, with Ross and Barker as FHs.

It would be interesting to see U19 / U20 squads over the years. I wonder if Mark at BC Rugby News has been going that long / keeps record?

Smith came up through the PP as a running flyhalf; he had no kicking game. He was a late addition to the mess that was the 2003 RWC team as a centre. He replaced Witkowski at centre early in the Tonga game and turned the test in our favour because we had an inside back who could break the line. Smith's best game at #10 was probably when the Churchill Cup team beat Argentina A in Calgary (2005). (That game was also one of Morgan Williams' best.) Smith was a good player. Monro entered the building in 2006. We were set at #10 for the next few years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 am 

Kelly could finally be the player you guys are looking for at 10?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:25 am 

Bowens wrote:

Or keep an eye out for Brock Webster at the U20 level. I do not mean to scare the crap out of CanNZ, but McGrath and the 7s want him.

It does not matter if they were Rees-Wyatt or Monro-Pritchard, Canada always needs two kickers on the field. It is a fact our current coach does not recognize. I would go with McRorie-O'Leary as our HB combo.

Last edited by canuckles on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:48 am 

canuckles wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Or keep an eye out for Brock Webster at the U20 level. I do not mean to scare the crap out of CanNZ, but McGrath and the 7s want him.

It does matter if they were Rees-Wyatt or Monro-Pritchard, Canada always needs two kickers on the field. It is a fact our current coach does not recognize. I would go with McRorie-O'Leary as our HB combo.

I don't like the sound of that. Hasn't 7s ruined enough of our backs? Also, MLR could help in that regard, a couple more franchises and I could see 7s in a bit of a bind here in Canada.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:00 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Bowens wrote:

It does matter if they were Rees-Wyatt or Monro-Pritchard, Canada always needs two kickers on the field. It is a fact our current coach does not recognize. I would go with McRorie-O'Leary as our HB combo.

I don't like the sound of that. Hasn't 7s ruined enough of our backs? Also, MLR could help in that regard, a couple more franchises and I could see 7s in a bit of a bind here in Canada.

I don't think so. They'll just keep selling the Olympic 7s dream to other kids. There seem to be a never ending series sevens events throughout the year, with one or more sides per province and a growing number of pay-to-play 'academies' popping up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:37 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Bowens wrote:

I don't think so. They'll just keep selling the Olympic 7s dream to other kids. There seem to be a never ending series sevens events throughout the year, with one or more sides per province and a growing number of pay-to-play 'academies' popping up.

Yeah, I agree. 7s is not going away; only the 'sport' losing its Olympic status will do it. There is no guarantee MLR will last. It needs to start to offer the better Canadian players 30-40K to keep them in XVs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 pm 

Canada 56-0 Chile.

Chile was very poor. Their union is concentrating on 7s and it shows.

Canada was able to throw the ball around and was able to run from depth. It was a good outing for Lloyd and Coe.

I think Jones is doing a good job with Percillier. He is not giving the young man too much too soon. Percillier looks to be right on schedule: Our best scrummie to come through the 'system' in 20 years.

Blanchet had a good first start. He made his tackles, took the ball up and had one great break. He got caught being too high with the ball near the Chilean tryline. If he continues with the play he had last night, he has a spot as a backrower on the RWC team. Argentina XV and the Eagles are to come, and they will be a huge step up in class for our back row.

It was good to see McRorie back out there.

Canada has some young players with genuine talent: Sauder, Coe, Percillier, eg. If Coe can get off the Island, he will be a better player for it. There are a couple of young guys on the Arrows who look to be coming along. We could see them in summer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:28 pm 

Thoughts of the effects on Canada of this proposed World League, and the US and Japan's potential inclusion in the Rugby Championship? (I know there's a long way to go before any of this becomes possible, even likely, but fun to talk about anyway)

Big negative for me is the devaluation of the world cup, which will be our only opportunity to play some truly quality teams until such time that we improve markedly. I wonder if they'd shrink it (the WCup) given the gap between the world league teams and the rest will probably increase. On the other hand, if the top teams and World Rugby make MORE money under this scheme, does it follow that tier 3 unions like Canada might get more (or, in the current environment, keep their funding at the same level)?

US and Japan potentially in the Rugby Championship I see as a bit of a positive (of course it stings a little to not get even a mention, but we currently don't deserve to), seeing as if we improve (a lot!) you could see them expanding it a bit more and offering a spot (commercially it would make sense in time, e.g. success of Van 7s). But there's a (very?) good chance we would never be good enough, too, to get that invitation.

Overall though, I think it is potentially very negative, perhaps even fatal for the XVs game here. Still need a lot more details to make an informed analysis, but I'm gravely concerned. Hopefully I'm missing something though

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:55 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:
Thoughts of the effects on Canada of this proposed World League, and the US and Japan's potential inclusion in the Rugby Championship? (I know there's a long way to go before any of this becomes possible, even likely, but fun to talk about anyway)

Big negative for me is the devaluation of the world cup, which will be our only opportunity to play some truly quality teams until such time that we improve markedly. I wonder if they'd shrink it (the WCup) given the gap between the world league teams and the rest will probably increase. On the other hand, if the top teams and World Rugby make MORE money under this scheme, does it follow that tier 3 unions like Canada might get more (or, in the current environment, keep their funding at the same level)?

US and Japan potentially in the Rugby Championship I see as a bit of a positive (of course it stings a little to not get even a mention, but we currently don't deserve to), seeing as if we improve (a lot!) you could see them expanding it a bit more and offering a spot (commercially it would make sense in time, e.g. success of Van 7s). But there's a (very?) good chance we would never be good enough, too, to get that invitation.

Overall though, I think it is potentially very negative, perhaps even fatal for the XVs game here. Still need a lot more details to make an informed analysis, but I'm gravely concerned. Hopefully I'm missing something though

FFS, does nobody else care about this thread except us two? Does it say more about them or us?

Okay, the World League is speculation, but,

Prima facie nothing changes for Canada. We are Tier Three. World League or not, we are now playing with the likes of Spain and Uruguay (we cannot even beat Uruguay). I think we hit #12 in the rankings at the 2011 RWC. We were trending in the right direction and Crowley had us playing good ball. We were at the top end of Tier Two. Instead of using the '11 RWC as a springboard, Rugby Canada decided to go all-in for 7s in 2013. That decision has had awful short-range consequences and might now lead to a terrible long-range situation. The only people in Canada who wanted 7s in the Olympics were Rugby Canada and our esteemed rugby bloggers. They have it. They should be the last ones to bitch about the World League. Legitimate concerns about 7s were raised throughout Canadian rugby. On this lowly bored, guys like Nieghorn, Hollywood and myself said be careful for what you wish. At times you want to be proven wrong. Of course, if we were still ranked #12, it would not necessarily mean we would be included in a hypothetical, or not, World League. But at least we would have some ammunition to argue against the formation of one. World Rugby will throw us a few crumbs and tell us to keep our mouths shut. We will do as we are told.

If you fear for future RWCs, I would say the World League already devalues this year's world cup:

Italy could lose to Canada and Namibia. So what? Who Cares? Italy is part of the World League, the Italians could say. Ciao, chumps.
The USA could go an 0fer. Big deal, they Yanks could say. We are now Tier One. So long, suckers.
Fiji could make the quarters. Wow, Tier One countries and their fans could say, you guys are so entertaining. Thanks for coming and have fun playing Chile and Holland for 12 years. Do your bit to grow the game.

You have to feel for Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. World Rugby needs the Pacific Islanders; it does not need the Pacific Islands. Georgia has done nothing wrong for 15-20 years, but, shrug, we live in a world were there is the inequality of condition. It is too bad for them. Those countries will have to make do with playing the likes of us, Spain, Chile, Romania, etc. World Rugby will demand it or they will cut off our funding.

An extra 10-12 million per year in the bank sounds good. It is so, if the money is spent wisely. It won't be, because even more money will be spent on the national teams, i.e., on a small pool of players. In five to six years the Australian and American unions will likely be back at the door of World Rugby with begging bowls in their hands.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:29 pm 

Hey, I care too.

About the World League, according to the little information we have right now about it, yes it is bad for Canada. Very bad. Of course RC would try to sell it somehow and say this is still very positive for the sport here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:56 am 

I see it as bad for Canada, but we really need to get our own house in order before any competitive structure is going to help us.

Feels like a lifetime ago that we were presumptively better than the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:58 am 

Gonna throw something positive... I don't know what's said and done at these things, but am going to go with an open mind and try and make some more connections. Very close to taking on two big coaching opportunities (maybe I should delete my account just in case! :lol: ) and could be a person of influence in my community.

Anyhoo, this is a positive step forward. I especially like that they're stopping in Owen Sound. TINY area, but one that's been ignored for ages. Barrie probably should get one, too, because the game used to be pretty good in the Orillia, Midland area as well but has dropped off a cliff in recent years. When I was there and we were riding high, we even thought we could push into Muskoka (there's a Kiwi kid up there now who I think has rep'd Ontario, and a Canada age grade kid from there probably more than a decade ago).

I've pitched to the RC coaching coordinator that they could vet and sanction such events on a more regular basis without having to even send someone. Just help us create regular pro-dev sessions where we share what works for US (the average club and school coach doesn't need to know what provincial and national teams are doing for the most part).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:57 pm 

Great stuff Nieghorn! I'll keep an eye out for the Toronto one

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:50 pm 

I don’t envy the envoy(s) they’re sending to these sessions, though. My more-connected mate reckons junior comps will dominate the convos. By all accounts I’ve heard, last year’s junior leagues were a shitshow with lots of upper teens denied games / not able to play because they decided to age band on odd years (u15, u17... few ran the proposed u19).

School divisions neatly keep middle school kids, 9s and 10s, and 11s and 12s together. College and uni age are adults (though I’d love to see u20 or 21 make a comeback).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:43 pm 

OttawaKat wrote:
I see it as bad for Canada, but we really need to get our own house in order before any competitive structure is going to help us.

Feels like a lifetime ago that we were presumptively better than the USA.

Internally, our men's game has always been chaotic. It needs structure and a 'place' where ambition and commitment are rewarded.

We have some good players and more on the way. Sauder and Percillier are not in the 7s program. (I have no doubt they would be in that sport two-three years ago.) For me, it is a step forward. An over-reliance by RC on the Arrows would be detrimental. The Arrows are one semi-pro team. The NSMT needs much more.

Having said the above, one can already see the potential of a semi-pro team. Jones looks like a promising centre. Quattrin looks like a promising hooker. RC should leave the two players alone and let them play out the MLR year. Quattrin is between good, experienced props and in a pack that rarely goes backwards: a great situation for a young hooker. Quattrin's physique is also coming on. As long as you can see daylight between his thighs, he should be okay.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:10 pm 

I see Olmstead has returned to Newcastle.

Watching Blues highlights this morning, I noticed there was another lock/flank with unkempt hair. Two Vikings one too many? :D

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 pm 

Watched some of the Arrowsgame last night, brutal conditions. An unfortunateloss for them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:21 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Watched some of the Arrowsgame last night, brutal conditions. An unfortunateloss for them.

Came late to it, saw the snowstorm and thought it will not be worth watching. Switched to HNIC to see Smith blow a win for the Flames on Iginla's retirement night.

The Arrows are in tough next week. They play San Diego on Sunday night and then fly back across the continent to play New York on Friday night.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 pm 

Game 2 of UBC vs Cal

Live now

https://sportscanada.tv/ubc_vs_cal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:23 pm 

moosehead wrote:
Game 2 of UBC vs Cal

Live now

Thanks, moose!

How am I supposed to get any work done?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:29 pm 

canuckles wrote:
moosehead wrote:
Game 2 of UBC vs Cal

Live now

Thanks, moose!

Delegate. Aren't you the boss?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:39 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
canuckles wrote:
moosehead wrote:
Game 2 of UBC vs Cal

Live now

Thanks, moose!

Delegate. Aren't you the boss?

:lol:

The products I bought in Germany last month are coming in, all at once, of course. I can't afford to pay double time. I am looking for volunteers. The pub down the street is open, so I can buy you one for any hour of work you put in.

Shit, man, our dollar is awful. It is tough paying out in Euros and USD.

UBC team looks a noticeably step down from 2-3 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:41 am 

My reviews of the boys from Friday night.

1. Hubert Buydens – Was quite good. Still the starter, the battle is fore the back up position.
2. Benoit Piffero – Perhaps he has finally nailed down the starting position? Will be a good battle for the back up.
3. Cole Keith – Still very young for a prop. Him and Tienery will give us good service for many years to come.
4. Conor Keys – Was good enough. Squad player, might make it to WC
5. Kyle Baillie – Did well, might give Jones ideas of him partnering with Olmstead.
6. Justin Blanchet – Did well except for one dumb play at a ruck. Giving us back our backrow depth of years before.
7. Lucas Rumball – Played well enough, lead by example. Still think Hearn is a better 7.
8. Dustin Dobravsky – Who?
9. Jamie Mackenzie – I have liked him in the past, have said so many times, but man, was that a god awful performance.
10. Gordon McRorie – Not a natural 10. O'Leary better get a fair chance to start in the summer.
11. Kainoa Lloyd – Will be on the plane if there is a lot of injuries
12. Ciaran Hearn – Thought he did well enough. Is getting on in years though but should start in the WC at 12.
13. Nick Blevins – Will be a squad player but he better watch out. He is one of the guys who might think his ticket is booked but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go. (LeSage/Coe are booked)
14. Andrew Coe – Please do not let him anywhere near the 7s squad. They'll ruin him. He needs to get his ass over to Europe. Could be a winger/FB or Centre for us.)
15. Theo Sauder – Great on attack, exceptional even. Still needs to work on his D and his play under the highball. Argentina's second try was directly a result of him dropping an easy high ball

16. Jordan Olsen – Will forgive his L/O this time as I doubt he had much practice time this past week.
17. Noah Barker – DSD better hope he gets injured, as I am starting to think Barker will get his spot on the plane.
18. Ryan Kotlewski – Will be in tough to make it to the WC with Tienery, Ilnicki and Keith already booked.
19. Josh Larsen – Probably should have started, probably will next week.
20. Nakai Penny – Touch yellow but probably the correct call.
21. Will Percillier – Would still bring him off of the bench for now. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins the starter jersey by the time the WC starts.
22. Pat Parfrey – Less is more.
23. Doug Fraser – Tried hard but only injuries will see him on a flight to Japan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
My reviews of the boys from Friday night.

1. Hubert Buydens – Was quite good. Still the starter, the battle is fore the back up position. (Agree)
2. Benoit Piffero – Perhaps he has finally nailed down the starting position? Will be a good battle for the back up. (Cannot commit full-time to program; hurts him)
3. Cole Keith – Still very young for a prop. Him and Tienery will give us good service for many years to come. (Agree; just needs more experience)
4. Conor Keys – Was good enough. Squad player, might make it to WC (Outside looking in; Larsen offers more)
5. Kyle Baillie – Did well, might give Jones ideas of him partnering with Olmstead. (Still prefer him at #6)
6. Justin Blanchet – Did well except for one dumb play at a ruck. Giving us back our backrow depth of years before. (Agree)
7. Lucas Rumball – Played well enough, lead by example. Still think Hearn is a better 7. (I think you mean Heaton, who I Prefer)
8. Dustin Dobravsky – Who?
9. Jamie Mackenzie – I have liked him in the past, have said so many times, but man, was that a god awful performance.
10. Gordon McRorie – Not a natural 10. O'Leary better get a fair chance to start in the summer. (McRorie at SH; O'Leary at FH; two good kickers on the field)
11. Kainoa Lloyd – Will be on the plane if there is a lot of injuries (With Davis in 7s; Lloyd should be there; team needs young wingers)
12. Ciaran Hearn – Thought he did well enough. Is getting on in years though but should start in the WC at 12. (Probably)
13. Nick Blevins – Will be a squad player but he better watch out. He is one of the guys who might think his ticket is booked but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go. (LeSage/Coe are booked) (I like Blevins; numbers at centre, though; is Nick off the veggie diet? He looks fat)
14. Andrew Coe – Please do not let him anywhere near the 7s squad. They'll ruin him. He needs to get his ass over to Europe. Could be a winger/FB or Centre for us.) (I don't see him on the wing; big decision is where to play him and Sauder)
15. Theo Sauder – Great on attack, exceptional even. Still needs to work on his D and his play under the highball. Argentina's second try was directly a result of him dropping an easy high ball. (Coe made Sauder move to the wing on the U20s and to #10 at UBC; fitting both Sauder and Coe on the field is a key one for Jones)
16. Jordan Olsen – Will forgive his L/O this time as I doubt he had much practice time this past week. (can't judge him on 10-15 minutes of play)
17. Noah Barker – DSD better hope he gets injured, as I am starting to think Barker will get his spot on the plane. (Lemkus will beat both of them out)
18. Ryan Kotlewski – Will be in tough to make it to the WC with Tienery, Ilnicki and Keith already booked. (Yeah; fourth in line)
19. Josh Larsen – Probably should have started, probably will next week. (See above, Keys)
20. Nakai Penny – Touch yellow but probably the correct call. (Good athlete; can't get much playing time on the Seattle squad)
21. Will Percillier – Would still bring him off of the bench for now. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins the starter jersey by the time the WC starts. (Big call, that; depends what Jones does with McRorie)
22. Pat Parfrey – Less is more. (Would not shock me if he is on the RWC team)
23. Doug Fraser – Tried hard but only injuries will see him on a flight to Japan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:52 pm 

Sounds like DSD is back with CW, not sure if he will be with Seattle now. Things are going from bad to worse for him. In all honesty, he has just never taken the next step.

Parfrey, yeah, I think he will be there. His being shitty at jack of all trades, will see him as a squad member.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:06 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Sounds like DSD is back with CW, not sure if he will be with Seattle now. Things are going from bad to worse for him. In all honesty, he has just never taken the next step.

Parfrey, yeah, I think he will be there. His being shitty at jack of all trades, will see him as a squad member.

The Brazil game might have seen DSD fall way back. Staller had a poor outing against Russia last Summer and has not been seen since. Yet other players continue to have poor games and hold their spots. Who knows the decision-making ways of Jones and Rugby Canada?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:10 am 

All coaches have their favourites and their whipping boys. Jones is no exception. I think DSD has had a number of chances to prove his value to our side. Staller has had fewer. Yes, Parfrey does, seem, to get a free pass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next