Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:39 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
We should do one of those things where we all put in a fiver on he month we think he'll be canned. Winner takes the pot.

The month when we fail to qualify for the WC.
Have to feel sorry for him, I don't think anyone taking the job knows the shit show they are getting themselves into

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 pm 

Sounds like the sales are ok for the Uruguay match in Vancouver(?), anybody hearing differently?

If we fall to Uruguay we can still qualify via the repechage, in which we'd play 3 other teams (something like Spain, Kenya, and Hong Kong) in a round robin, winner of it qualifies, the rest are gone. I did not know that, thought we were gone if we lose to Uruguay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 pm 

Americas 2 gets Australia, Wales, Fiji and Georgia. Fiji on the 25th, Georgia on the 29th. I was thinking that with a tough group like that, the repechage might luck out ... nope, NZ, SA will be looking to put up big scores.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:44 pm 

51-9, not what I'd hoped for. I wasn't hoping for a win, but getting humped by 42 was probably a little worse than I feared (but not much). I didn't watch the match, was planning to the next morning but in the end couldn't be bothered. Any bright points?

And now we're on to Georgia. In Tbilisi. A completely different game I would think from the Maori one. But we've had a little bit of success against them (well, .500 record, that's 'success' for us). I remember the last game in Georgia with Liam Underwood getting knocked out by a dirty hit from Kolelishvili. Hopefully it's a strong ref running the game. Underwood never really recovered from that from what I've seen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:40 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:
51-9, not what I'd hoped for. I wasn't hoping for a win, but getting humped by 42 was probably a little worse than I feared (but not much). I didn't watch the match, was planning to the next morning but in the end couldn't be bothered. Any bright points?

Nope. :) Some people were talking up a forward or two, and Coe had some moments of refreshing ambition (but with little to no support). I thought all the talk of Uruguay winning was a bit of a stretch, but if it's this actual bunch, it could be very tight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:52 am 

Heaton and Coe were our stand out playersiI thought.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:29 am 

Morgan14 wrote:

And now we're on to Georgia. In Tbilisi. A completely different game I would think from the Maori one. But we've had a little bit of success against them (well, .500 record, that's 'success' for us). I remember the last game in Georgia with Liam Underwood getting knocked out by a dirty hit from Kolelishvili. Hopefully it's a strong ref running the game. Underwood never really recovered from that from what I've seen

I fear our forward pack will the pulverized by the Georgians......
They will likely keep the ball in the forwards throughout the game. Tool on our pack. They will also kick for field position.
Our forwards simply are not big enough / tough enough to compete against the Georgians....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:12 pm 

Team for Georgia below. DTH, Paris and Hearn in the backs. Hassler is missing. O'Leary is out and we will probably not see him until next summer. Larsen had a good start last week; he is a big improvement over our domestic locks. I prefer Baillie or Gilmour at #6. It is a 6/2 split on the bench, which is a good move.

1. Djustice Sears-Duru – (Ealing Trailfinders/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

2. Ray Barkwill – (Seattle Seawolves/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

3. Jake Ilnicki – (Newcastle Falcons/BC Bears) Williams Lake, BC

4. Josh Larsen – (Northland) Parksville, BC

5. Evan Olmstead – (Newcastle Falcons/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC

6. Lucas Rumball – (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

7. Matt Heaton – (Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock) Godmanchester, QC

8. Tyler Ardron – (Chiefs/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON

9. Phil Mack – Captain (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

10. Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. John’s, NL

11. Taylor Paris – (Castres/Ontario Blues) Barrie, ON

12. Ciaran Hearn – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL

13. DTH van der Merwe – (Newcastle Falcons) Victoria, BC

14. Brock Staller – (Meralomas RFC/BC Bears) Surrey, BC

15. Andrew Coe – (Markham Irish/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

16. Eric Howard – (Brantford Harlequins/Ontario Blues) Ottawa, ON

17. Anthony Luca – (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Pitt Meadows, BC

18. Cole Keith – (James Bay AA/Atlantic Rock) Sussex, NB

19. Kyle Baillie – (London Scottish/Atlantic Rock) Summerside, PEI

20. Conor Keys – (UVIC Vikes/Atlantic Rock) Stittsville, ON

21. Kyle Gilmour – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB

22. Andrew Ferguson – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

23. Guiseppe du Toit – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Maple Ridge, BC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:33 pm 

This one on TV at all? Or a facebook stream again? Anything?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm 

It's available on TSN Go, answered my own question

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:08 am 

Nice to see DTH at centre for a change!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 pm 

Well, this will be interesting. Spain ranked 20th. We've moved up to 23rd. Not sure how off the back of a 50 pointer...

Really need to win this.

Quote:
MADRID, SPAIN – Canada head coach Kingsley Jones has made five changes to his starting roster to face Spain on Saturday in the second test match and fourth game of their November international series.

After opening the November series with a 51-9 loss to the Maori All Blacks in front of a historic sold-out crowd of 29,408 at BC Place in Vancouver, Canada fell 54-22 to Georgia last Saturday at Dinamo Arena.

Canada’s forward pack sees the return of Hubert Buydens and Matt Tierney, who both started against the Maori All Blacks, to the starting roster. Ontario’s Tyler Ardron is no longer available for selection for the final two games of the series based on professional rugby commitments in New Zealand; however in his absence we will see the return of Canada’s all-time cap leader Aaron Carpenter.

Brantford, Ontario’s Carpenter – who recently passed World Rugby Hall of Famer Al Charron this summer – will win his 80th cap on Saturday in the flank alongside open side Kyle Baillie and Matt Heaton, who moves to blindside.

Canada’s backline remains unchanged from last weekend’s test, having scored three exciting tries from Taylor Paris, DTH van der Merwe and Brock Staller. Victoria’s Phil Mack will once again Captain the side from scrum half.

Saturday marks only the second time Canada and Spain will square off in a men’s international test match, with Canada winning 60-22 on November 13, 2010 at Campo Universitaria. Taylor Paris, DTH van der Merwe and Carpenter are the only three members of Canada’s roster from that game. All three players scored tries on the day, with Paris picking up a brace.

Following Saturday’s test match Canada will travel to Narbonne, France to close out 2017 against Fiji on November 25th.

All eyes are on January 27th at BC Place in Vancouver in the first leg of the 2019 Rugby World Cup qualifiers when Canada hosts Uruguay. With Canada looking to book their ticket to a ninth consecutive RWC in Japan, the contest has been dubbed the “biggest game of a generation” and Rugby Canada is encouraging all rugby & sport fans to purchase tickets and help send our men’s team to Tokyo: http://events.rugbycanada.ca

Kick off on Saturday is 10am ET/7am PT and broadcast details are still TBD

Canada’s Men’s Team to face Spain:

1. Hubert Buydens – (New Orleans Gold/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saskatoon, SK

2. Ray Barkwill – (Seattle Seawolves/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

3. Matt Tierney – (Section Paloise/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

4. Josh Larsen – (Northland) Parksville, BC

5. Evan Olmstead – (Newcastle Falcons/Prairie Wolf Pack) Vancouver, BC

6. Matt Heaton – (Darlington Mowden Park/Atlantic Rock) Godmanchester, QC

7. Kyle Baillie – (London Scottish/Atlantic Rock) Summerside, PEI

8. Aaron Carpenter – (Doncaster Knights/Ontario Blues) Brantford, ON

9. Phil Mack – Captain (James Bay AA/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

10. Patrick Parfrey – (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. John’s, NL

11. Taylor Paris – (Castres/Ontario Blues) Barrie, ON

12. Ciaran Hearn – (London Irish/Atlantic Rock) Conception Bay South, NL

13. DTH van der Merwe – (Newcastle Falcons) Victoria, BC

14. Brock Staller – (Meralomas RFC/BC Bears) Surrey, BC

15. Andrew Coe – (Markham Irish/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

16. Benoit Piffero – (Blagnac Sporting Club/Atlantic Rock) Montreal, QC

17. Djustice Sears-Duru – (Ealing Trailfinders/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

18. Cole Keith – (James Bay AA/Atlantic Rock) Sussex, NB

19. Brett Beukeboom – (Cornish Pirates/Ontario Blues) Lakefield, ON

20. Kyle Gilmour – (St. Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) St. Albert, AB

21. Andrew Ferguson – (Oakville Crusaders/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

22. Guiseppe du Toit – (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Maple Ridge, BC

23. Kainoa Lloyd – (Mississauga Blues/Ontario Blues) Mississauga, ON

Canada’s November international calendar:

Canada 9 – 51 Maori All Blacks

Canada 22 – 54 Georgia

Canada vs. Spain

November 18th, 2017

Estadio Nacional Complutense, Madrid, Spain

4pm local time (10am ET/7am PT)

Broadcast details: TBD

Canada vs. Fiji

November 25th, 2017

France (TBD)

Kick off time: TBD

Broadcast details: TBD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 pm 

Barkwill must be quite the detective to have dirt on two successive coaches! :) (Seriously, why do the other hookers never get a go? The guy is, what, 37 or 38? Why not give the others a run of games now???)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:56 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Barkwill must be quite the detective to have dirt on two successive coaches! :) (Seriously, why do the other hookers never get a go? The guy is, what, 37 or 38? Why not give the others a run of games now???)

Also.....he sucks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 pm 

Yes we suck at rugby....

But we have great salmon fishing....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 pm 

As I said in the women's rugby post, this could be the start of the lean years for them as well. The squad that's set to play England is full of newbs and the U20s never really impressed when they played England over the last few years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:39 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
As I said in the women's rugby post, this could be the start of the lean years for them as well. The squad that's set to play England is full of newbs and the U20s never really impressed when they played England over the last few years.

Very few BC born and raised ladies on the squad ? Only 1 ?

Is BC womens rugby really that much behind the rest of the country...?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 pm 

Does RC still hold the fishing fund-raiser? Seems an odd one. I like salmon fishing but can't say that would interest me at all as a fundraising event to support. But to each their own.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:49 pm 

And regarding the ladies, I did read that 4 of the national squad women are playing in the women's rugby league world cup team down in Australia at the moment. Lost 50-4 or something in their first match against NZ. But the main point being that the dilution may have already begun. Hopefully not the case.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 am 

Morgan14 wrote:
And regarding the ladies, I did read that 4 of the national squad women are playing in the women's rugby league world cup team down in Australia at the moment. Lost 50-4 or something in their first match against NZ. But the main point being that the dilution may have already begun. Hopefully not the case.

I know one who was going to try out for it. It was merely something adventurous to do for her and I imagine it's the same for the rest of them. I can't see women's league taking off at all here. Of that team, Marchak retired a year or two ago. Burk is probably ready to retire from rugby. Boag, imo, never should have been capped - very small for an international hooker and not mobile/dominant enough to be a flanker. Smith is solid, but nothing special. I don't know all the names, but some of the others I recognise might be on the 'wrong' side of 30.

Moose, if you want an indicator, I'm pretty sure that only about half of the last BC provincial team that was put together are actually from BC. Like the men, a lot of women move out there to be recognized by RC, and a lot who move out there for work also end up bettering locals. I only knew the Island, and with the good team in Comox (forget the name, but they're always in the finals), Shawnigan and Brentwood beating up on everyone, I got the impression that other schools that played XVs were dropping off. In Victoria, they can only muster 7s teams ... but I'm convinced that part of that is because next to no teachers coach. My friends who helped out at several schools found it impossible to recruit heavily because they're not there every day and the teacher sponsors weren't that active on that front (I think two schools have teachers who coach and, not surprisingly, they're among the better teams.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 pm 

Canada 37 - Spain 27

A good enough game between two tier three countries.

We got off to a slow start, again. Our backline was far too flat early on. We controlled the middle quarters and finally managed to run against Spain from depth and with some speed. Mack is a born playmaker; he needs a 10-12 to read his game to be more effective. Sitting in the pocket waiting for the first pass kills our back line because Mack does not have a great long pass. O'Leary is out. The coaching staff has to get on Parfrey to move his arse and occasionally attack the line. Mack's use of the tap and go will eventually wear thin.

Our maul defence continues to be awful. What makes things worse is we are not challenging the throws. We set up for the maul and we still cannot contain the opposition.

DTH and Paris were first class. I thought Olmstead had his best game in a year.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 pm 

Very glad to hear the men won, away, against a team ranked higher than them. I'll try and find a video of the game.

Fiji up next, that will be a tough one.

The down note is that our women lost 79-5 to England

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:23 pm 

[quote="Morgan14"]Very glad to hear the men won, away, against a team ranked higher than them. I'll try and find a video of the game.

Fiji up next, that will be a tough one.

For us ( Canada ) every game is a tough one the last few years......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:57 pm 

Fiji 33 Canada 10 at HT.

Coe with a horrid 35 minutes of play. I have high hopes for him, but his game at this level is unacceptable; it has been backwards for him since the Maori match. Hearn stretchered off; right knee injury. Put Mack at fullback and Ferguson at SH.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 pm 

Fiji 57 Canada 17 FT

Very sloppy game. Number of Canadian mistakes near triple digits. Best part of the game for us was a wonderful counter-ruck by Mack in the 75th minute. Fijian skills made us look silly at times. Olmstead, Larsen worked very hard, just outgunned physically.

Canada's D has been a mess all year.

We will have enough for Uruguay, which is an indication of how Rugby Canada has let our NSMT to be in such a sorry state.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:49 am 

Fiji test match went about as well as I expected. Decent on attack, but our D and set pieces were woeful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:46 pm 

Positives from the autumn?

- got four matches, some years we only get three. Hopefully RC made some money from the Vancouver / Maori match, although someone I know who would know more than me about these things doesn't think they made much (but it's all hearsay - anyone here know if we did make a lot / no money?)
- played some decent teams with a huge variety of strengths (e.g. Georgians and Fijians game plans are different, even in modern rugby), so exposed to a lot of new things, hopefully a lot learned.
- hopefully a good core of those who played in these games will be available for the Uruguay home and away series. Good for some much needed cohesion

Negatives, well, not hard to make a list
- out of our last 5 matches, we've given up 50+ points in 4 of them
- Look well out of our depth against anyone half-decent
- So many structural issues domestically, hard to see a path upwards unless things change radically; I'm praying the new pro league might be a catalyst, if we can get a franchise or two and players in it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:
Positives from the autumn?

- got four matches, some years we only get three. Hopefully RC made some money from the Vancouver / Maori match, although someone I know who would know more than me about these things doesn't think they made much (but it's all hearsay - anyone here know if we did make a lot / no money?)
- played some decent teams with a huge variety of strengths (e.g. Georgians and Fijians game plans are different, even in modern rugby), so exposed to a lot of new things, hopefully a lot learned.
- hopefully a good core of those who played in these games will be available for the Uruguay home and away series. Good for some much needed cohesion

Negatives, well, not hard to make a list
- out of our last 5 matches, we've given up 50+ points in 4 of them
- Look well out of our depth against anyone half-decent
- So many structural issues domestically, hard to see a path upwards unless things change radically; I'm praying the new pro league might be a catalyst, if we can get a franchise or two and players in it

Positives:

-Larsen showed he is good enough for the NSMT. (I cannot think of anything else.)

Negatives:

-Record losses all over the place - a disastrous year. (And I remember 1999.)
-Team defence.
-The lack of team speed. We are slow, on both sides of the ball. If you compare the Japan team from last Saturday to the speed at which we play the game, the difference is shockingly obvious.
-BC guys continue to choose 7s over 15s. If Mack would not have retired from 7s, Canada would not have had him in the lineup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 am 

canuckles wrote:
-BC guys continue to choose 7s over 15s. If Mack would not have retired from 7s, Canada would not have had him in the lineup.

Phuck I hate 7's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:55 am 

Garbage seeing 7's specialists living on Van Isle training 7's year round and never playing any 15's matches.

Who gives a flying feck about rugby 7's ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:09 am 

moosehead wrote:
Garbage seeing 7's specialists living on Van Isle training 7's year round and never playing any 15's matches.

All those deluded people who filled BC Place stadium and who fly to Vegas for that leg... who clearly don't appreciate the tactics and strategy of proper rugby. "Just give it to the fast guy to run around everyone or the big guy to run over all those little guys!" they cry!

I'll bet they don't even like simple hoops and a proper white canvas folding collar on a cotton jersey, the heathens!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:29 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
moosehead wrote:

I'll bet they don't even like simple hoops and a proper white canvas folding collar on a cotton jersey, the heathens!

I guess the Rugby Canada hope is that by having top young players only playing 7's. It may raise the profile of rugby in Canada which may lead to more kids playing 15's.

I see this as a faulty strategy though as it resulting in some really elite youth never playing any 15's after highschool. I don't think 7's has the capability to get kids into rugby. Not with only the Van 7's stop and the Olympics every 4 years..... ( which we don't even qualify for in mens )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 pm 

moosehead wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
moosehead wrote:

I guess the Rugby Canada hope is that by having top young players only playing 7's. It may raise the profile of rugby in Canada which may lead to more kids playing 15's.

I see this as a faulty strategy though as it resulting in some really elite youth never playing any 15's after highschool. I don't think 7's has the capability to get kids into rugby. Not with only the Van 7's stop and the Olympics every 4 years..... ( which we don't even qualify for in mens )

The fear for me is that pushing sevens means you don't have to do much to develop: a) a large squad of different body types and skillsets and b) truly teach players to be skillful.

For the first part, I saw it in high school girls rugby in Victoria. I reckon most schools only have about 12-15 girls playing and very few (if any) would have girls that you'd put in the 'tight five' category. During my time coaching women there, I can only think of one decent tight five player who was actually raised in Vic. The rest came from up-Island, elsewhere in BC or other provinces for school/work. I pointed this out a few times and said that if numbers is the issue, move to 10s. By comparison, when I coached girls XVs in Ontario, we had 45 kids and easily half were forwards.

On the other point, I cringe every time I hear someone say 7s develops for XVs. Even with our top players, you can see them struggle to adapt their passing, etc. due to the increased pressure when they joined the XVs team for a series or one-off test. There's so much space that it's usually a 1v1 battle that doesn't really require the nuances of creative attacking play taught by XVs (for those teams that do more than crash / pick and go / offload, that is ... and I won't go into how I see way too much of that in the women's uni teams I've watched the last few years).

I don't watch a lot of men's rugby, but I went to watch Georgian College v one of the GTA area schools a month or so ago and saw a very good GC team against a very poor team that had a lot of physical specimens, but very, very poor skills and game awareness. I don't blame their coaches, as they don't get much time with them, but it was further proof that supporting high school coaches so that they can better teach their teens is the way forward for us. Four years of good development will help everyone else (club, college, uni, rep teams) further up the line.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:46 pm 

moosehead wrote:

Ottawa, Rugby Canada and our esteemed rugby bloggers (all three of them). Nobody else in the country gives a shit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:59 pm 

canuckles wrote:
moosehead wrote:

Ottawa, Rugby Canada and our esteemed rugby bloggers (all three of them). Nobody else in the country gives a shit.

Who are the 3 bloggers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 pm 

Some depressing news for all of us:

Hearn gone for the qualifiers
Coe has a broke arm, maybe gone
Carps could be gone too

But don't worry Parfrey is ready to go.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:52 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:

Carps could be gone too

Hearn is horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 pm 

The decision to focus so much on 7s as a nation is extra-dumb for Canada now that the US 7s team looks to be in such good shape. That's a really tough road to the Olympics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 pm 

hornets wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Carps could be gone too

Hearn is horrible.

He's not great, but he is not horrible either. Also, Trainor is still out, isn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:25 pm 

hornets wrote:
canuckles wrote:
moosehead wrote:

Who are the 3 bloggers

Mark Bryant, Bryan Ray, Patrick Johnston.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 584 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next