Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 2:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:43 am 

Quote:
Jakarta: In a shock verdict the Christian Governor of Jakarta has been jailed for two years for blaspheming against Islam despite the prosecution requesting only a suspended sentence for the lesser offence of inciting hatred.

The five-judge panel of the North Jakarta District Court ordered the arrest of Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, popularly known as Ahok, saying he had been found convincingly guilty of blaspheming against religion.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/jakartas-ch ... w0t4y.html

Islam worldwide is going backwards so fast there's bugs splattered on the rear-view windscreen.

What a disgrace Indonesia.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:46 am 

Politics innit.

See also the sodomy trials for opposition leader Anwar in Malaysia.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 am 

village wrote:
Politics innit.

No, it's the other thing.

I should also mention, shame on you Ireland too. Investigating Stephen Fry on the charge of some lone religious nutcase. Even if it is just paying the nutter lip service, hang your heads, then change your ridiculous law and step forward into the 21st C.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:14 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

I should also mention, shame on you Ireland too. Investigating Stephen Fry on the charge of some lone religious nutcase. Even if it is just paying the nutter lip service, hang your heads, then change your ridiculous law and step forward into the 21st C.

Indonesian politics is as murky as it gets. This isn't some comedian or loudmouth nobody, it's not a tourist or a bookseller, it's a key ally of the president. You think that's a coincidence?

The Indonesian president is a political outsider, Ahok's mentor and former governor of Jakarta. The old guard hate him and are looking to bring him down. The former president, SBY wants his son to be the next governor of Jakarta as a springboard to becoming president. He's the guy who has paid the rent-a-mob protesters on this blasphemy scandal and he's probably the guy who paid the judges (or asked them for a favour).

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:17 am 

Sounds as if they couldn't make the blasphemy stick they'd have got him for littering.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:29 am 

village wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

Indonesian politics is as murky as it gets. This isn't some comedian or loudmouth nobody, it's not a tourist or a bookseller, it's a key ally of the president. You think that's a coincidence?

The Indonesian president is a political outsider, Ahok's mentor and former governor of Jakarta. The old guard hate him and are looking to bring him down. The former president, SBY wants his son to be the next governor of Jakarta as a springboard to becoming president. He's the guy who has paid the rent-a-mob protesters on this blasphemy scandal and he's probably the guy who paid the judges (or asked them for a favour).

The fact that they can do it at all is ludicrous. Even if it's politically motivated, it's enabled by ultra conservative Islam.

At least he's not getting his head chopped off a la Saudi Arabia.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:34 am 

I thought this was another Stephen fry thread

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:43 am 

Indonesia is as bad as Ireland at this stage.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

:thumbup: Yeah ok.......if you say so.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:27 am 

The Sun God wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

Good. Get your country sorted out. It's a disgrace to the 21st Century.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 am 

Yet another very interesting thread!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:38 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

Germany also has blasphemy laws, plus plenty of other European nations, you ill-informed buffoon. I'm sure most European nations have all sorts of archaic laws, but I think you'd be best off looking at the prosecution rate for these laws (Ireland's blasphemy law, whilst ridiculous, also cannot result in a prosecution afaik).

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 am 

Jeez you get less time for being a drug dealer.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

Germany also has blasphemy laws, plus plenty of other European nations, you ill-informed buffoon. I'm sure most European nations have all sorts of archaic laws, but I think you'd be best off looking at the prosecution rate for these laws (Ireland's blasphemy law, whilst ridiculous, also cannot result in a prosecution afaik).

I think the difference is that Ireland modified the law only recently (2009?). At that point they should have just revoked it. Why bother modifying an archaic law.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 am 

Clogs wrote:

I feel this post has been underappreciated.

Bravo.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:02 am 

True Blue wrote:
I think the difference is that Ireland modified the law only recently (2009?). At that point they should have just revoked it. Why bother modifying an archaic law.

Baffling tbh. Our government at the time introduced a raft of legislation then to deal with the financial crisis and this somehow slipped in unnoticed. I don't know was it a trade off with god botherers (we have plenty in government, or at least pretending to be), to bring our legislation and constitution into order or was it some sort of sop to the Islamic community. Still, we shouldn't have it.

EDIT: Also, we need a referendum to revoke it afaik, which means it's most likely something to do with our contitution (which was written by a renowned catholic god botherer).

Last edited by Bullettyme on Tue May 09, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 am 

True Blue wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

It was pointed out on the other fred but I will give you the benefit.
To revoke that particular piece of legislation would have involved a referendum as the law of which it forms a part, is written in our constitution.
At the time of the 2009 amendment, we had a few other things going on so an expensive referendum for a law which nobody has been prosecuted under seemed like a waste of money.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:05 am 

Farva wrote:
Clogs wrote:

I feel this post has been underappreciated.

Bravo.

Agreed. Good work indeed.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:19 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

The obvious difference is when someone complains that the local bar has no place to hitch and water a horse or a taxi isn't carrying a bale of hay in the trunk in accordance to Australian archaic laws, the police laugh and possibly call to tip off local mental hospital, they don't launch a full scale f'n investigation as the gardi have done in Ireland.

Hang your heads Oirish. For shame.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:31 am 

Blasphemy can be punished with up to 1 year in prison in New Zealand, I believe. I can't believe it.

South Park was in the firing line in 2006.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:38 am 

True Blue wrote:

To revoke it a national referendum is required. That's expensive. The Attorney General ruled that something needed to be changed back in 2009, hence the law being updated.

TBH, I'm not sure why they didn't tack on revoking the Blasphemy law onto some other referendum that we've had since then. As it stands though, it's just an oddity left over from when the constitution was originally drawn up by a conservative almost 100 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
The obvious difference is when someone complains that the local bar has no place to hitch and water a horse or a taxi isn't carrying a bale of hay in the trunk in accordance to Australian archaic laws, the police laugh and possibly call to tip off local mental hospital, they don't launch a full scale f'n investigation as the gardi have done in Ireland.

:lol:

You know the Gardai have dropped any 'investigation' right? You know there's only ever been one 'complaint' under this law, right?

Do you ever tire of advertising yourself as frightfully ill-informed?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:49 am 

I think at this point you Irish need to stop this apologetic excuse making and just accept you still live in the moral and intellectual equivalent of a medieval surfdom. Only once you acknowledge there is a problem can you go about trying to pull your nation out of slavish dark aged unthinking.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 am 

The Fry story is a non story, agreed. Actions are what count. Fry hasn't been prosecuted and won't be.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:52 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

Stop making shit up. After a complaint was made by a member of the public ( whose motive is far from clear) and after it was left on a cops desk for 2 years the complainant contacted the Police commissioner looking for an update. It was only then that she assigned a Garda in a Dublin suburban station, the complaint was originally made in a station in cousin fcuker land, to look into it. The cops couldn't find anybody who was offended by Mr Fry's assertions so therefore no victim, no crime.
case dropped.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I think at this point you Irish need to stop this apologetic excuse making and just accept you still live in the moral and intellectual equivalent of a medieval surfdom. Only once you acknowledge there is a problem can you go about trying to pull your nation out of slavish dark aged unthinking.

Anti-Polish racism at its nakedest and vilest.

Reported. :x

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

An Australian talking about intellectual equivalence......couldn't make this shit up.
It is undoubtedly why you left our fair shores and nothing to do with being an unemployable bogan who couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of 20's.
Glad you found your market in the 'rape capital of the world'.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:00 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

When our Head of State can be disbarred from the position because of his, or his wife's, religious beliefs, then I will certainly support your campaign for a complete overhaul of our medieval laws. In the meantime I'll relax in the knowledge that the 2009 amendment makes it completely impossible for a blasphemy prosecution to succeed in this country.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:02 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

The fact that they can do it at all is ludicrous.
Even if it's politically motivated, it's enabled by ultra conservative Islam.

Agreed but you know it's not about regligion

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:06 am 

The Sun God wrote:

Where's that?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

Oh man.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:10 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Oh man.

C'mon.

One of your blokes called it "fair shores".

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 am 

kiap wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Where's that?

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5195/sweden-rape

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Oh man.

Be fair now. Any fule kno there are very decent waves off your west coast.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 am 

The Sun God wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

An Australian talking about intellectual equivalence......couldn't make this shit up.
It is undoubtedly why you left our fair shores and nothing to do with being an unemployable bogan who couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of 20's.

Would that be a bite or an almighty chomp.

We'll let history be the judge...

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:36 am 

The Sun God wrote:
kiap wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Where's that?

So, "number two on the list".

Are these reports or convictions?

With all these cases, Swedish cops must be doing a good job prosecuting them.

Still, it seems odd. Are you saying this article shows forrinners (like muslims and so on) are the cause?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:48 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
village wrote:
Politics innit.

The fact that they can do it at all is ludicrous.
Even if it's politically motivated, it's enabled by ultra conservative Islam.

Agreed but you know it's not about regligion

Christians have been butchered by Islamic extremists in Indonesia. Churches have been burnt to the ground, and permission for new churches refused. It isn't all political.

There were, apparently, mass protests against Ahok, after he was accused of blasphemy. Indonesia isn't full of raging Islamist nutjobs, but they're not without their fanatics, and not without their bigots at the top.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 am 

kiap wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
kiap wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Where's that?

So, "number two on the list".

Are these reports or convictions?

With all these cases, Swedish cops must be doing a good job prosecuting them.

Still, it seems odd. Are you saying this article shows forrinners (like muslims and so on) are the cause?

The stats are skewed by how Sweden record rapes, but there is a real problem with immigrants and sexual assaults, I believe.

Watched an interview with two Swedish cops, and they themselves say they are being held back from making arrests, and also that immigrant crime stats are being hidden.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:02 pm 

There are also definitional differences about what constitutes rape. Sweden has stricter laws and as an affluent and progressive country, there is a greater likelihood of reporting. Here in the US REPORTED sex offenses in the Latino community are apparently down, but up in other communities. Some put that down to immigration enforcement discouraging reporting, rather than safer environments for women.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:56 pm 

This is the problem with written constitutions. THey're a snapshot of a moment of time and often very poorly reflect modern values. And since they're entombed into law they're a shit to change.