Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Naholo and Snyman...
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:07 am 

Did they get cited for the red cards, or have I missed it? Haven't seen it mentioned, or was the sending off sufficient penalty?

Post subject: Re: Naholo and Snyman...
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:20 am 

obelixtim wrote:
Did they get cited for the red cards, or have I missed it? Haven't seen it mentioned, or was the sending off sufficient penalty?

both will face disciplinary hearing the next 2 days.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:05 am 

obelixtim wrote:

the sending off will not, IMHO, but sufficient punishment. Both of them mindless and stupid

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:09 am 

Greg Pleasants-Tates hands in the air,slow motion collapse after the Snyman shoulder was pretty sweet. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 am 

3 matches should do for Naholo. Enough to keep him from playing the Crusaders, while still being available for the All Blacks.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:40 am 

mrbrownstone wrote:
3 matches should do for Naholo. Enough to keep him from playing the Crusaders, while still being available for the All Blacks.

How convenient. I would prefer an apology from the match officials, and his freedom to face the Force.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:23 am 

Naholo gets a one week ban, Snyman gets a 4 week ban. Not sure why there is such a discrepancy, maybe because Naholos act was a split second connection in a collision, whereas Snyman charged in and could have entered the ruck with a bit more discipline.

No doubt there will be accusations of the judiciary favouring Kiwi players....and a call for armbands.

Snymans act prolly cost the Bulls the match, so I guess his team mates were pretty pissed off with him.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 am 

obelixtim wrote:
Naholo gets a one week ban, Snyman gets a 4 week ban. Not sure why there is such a discrepancy, maybe because Naholos act was a split second connection in a collision, whereas Snyman charged in and could have entered the ruck with a bit more discipline.

No doubt there will be accusations of the judiciary favouring Kiwi players....and a call for armbands.

Snymans act prolly cost the Bulls the match, so I guess his team mates were pretty pissed off with him.

Nahalo entered an early guilty plea.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 am 

obelixtim wrote:

Fair call. Snyman's was a full-on shoulder charge to the head of the opposing player and probably much more dangerous, Naholo's was little more than a block, clumsy but nowhere near as dangerous

RG Snyman

Naholo

Last edited by Jensrsa on Tue May 16, 2017 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:35 am 

The Native wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Nahalo entered an early guilty plea.

Snyman too

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:17 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Fair call. Snyman's was a full-on shoulder charge to the head of the opposing player and probably much more dangerous, Naholo's was little more than a block, clumsy but nowhere near as dangerous

RG Snyman

Naholo

This.

One was intentional and the other marginally so.

Also, one player was prone and not moving, the other incident they were both arguably competing for the ball.

It's a no-brainer that there's a discrepancy.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 am 

SilverGrin wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

RG Snyman

Naholo

This.

Also, one player was prone and not moving, the other incident they were both arguably competing for the ball.

While I agree, Naholo's victim ended up in a worse state.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Naholo's was little more than a block, clumsy but nowhere near as dangerous

Rubbish.

Just think to yourself what would have happened if he HAD caught the ball - it's a dangerous shoulder charge either way. No attempt to make a legal tackle. Every attempt to go in high and dangerous with the upper part of the body into the head of a player.

Referee and TMO got them both spot on.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:32 am 

Kid A wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

No attempt to make a legal tackle. Every attempt to go in high and dangerous with the upper part of the body into the head of a player.

Bollocks. He had shifted his weight from looking to attempt a tackle, to stretching an arm out for the ball. His eyes were on the ball and he then braced for contact. Dangerous connection, no issue even with the red. But it was far from 'Every attempt to go in high and dangerous with the upper part of the body into the head of a player'.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:33 am 

Nah

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:37 am 

Kid A wrote:
Nah

It's all visible in the front on replay of Naholo. But your still shows it better :roll:

Seems South African fans as well as the judiciary agree with my take on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:41 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Nah

It's all visible in the front on replay of Naholo. But your still shows it better :roll:

Another game another ref it might have been a yellow or even a penalty only

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:43 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Nah

He tackled someone's face with his shoulder.

That's all there is to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 am 

Kid A wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Nah

I don't think anyone argues that he shouldn't have been punished, cited and banned, merely that there is a vast difference between his transgression and that of snyman and the difference in bans is warranted

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:48 am 

Kid A wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Nah

You don't wish to entertain the reasons for why the contact was made. Instead you see it very simply as shoulder on head = red. I do agree with the card and the sanction. I also have empathy for how the game is played at a fast pace, and when a player is chasing the BALL in fine margins, accidental and nasty collisions can take place.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Nah

You don't wish to entertain the reasons for why the contact was made. Instead you see it very simply as shoulder on head = red. I do agree with the card and the sanction. I also have empathy for how the game is played at a fast pace, and when a player is chasing the BALL in fine margins, accidental and nasty collisions can take place.

As I said, if the attacker had caught the ball, what would have happenned? What was Naholo trying to achieve?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:53 am 

Kid A wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Nah

As I said, if the attacker had caught the ball, what would have happenned? What was Naholo trying to achieve?

A heavy front on tackle? Seen plenty of them before. As you saw, the ball popped right and Naholo lunged for it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:55 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:

A heavy front on tackle? Seen plenty of them before. As you saw, the ball popped right and Naholo lunged for it.

He lunges (fair enough). The drops his shoulder (needless and reckless).

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:58 am 

Kid A wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:

It's unnatural not to brace for impact.

At least you're moving on from your initial post.

Kid A wrote:
Every attempt to go in high and dangerous with the upper part of the body into the head of a player.

That's exactly what the Bulls lock did.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:05 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Kid A wrote:

It's unnatural not to brace for impact.

At least you're moving on from your initial post.

Kid A wrote:
Every attempt to go in high and dangerous with the upper part of the body into the head of a player.

That's exactly what the Bulls lock did.

Alright man. We won't agree on this. No point in wasting time.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:12 pm 

:thumbup: Even though I think you're a little out on your own with this one.

Good thing is it's still sanctioned. I don't agree with Jensra that another ref may have just penalised.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:18 pm 

I agree with Mr Bungle.

On another day it was a yellow card.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 am 

Kid A wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Rubbish.

Just think to yourself what would have happened if he HAD caught the ball - it's a dangerous shoulder charge either way. No attempt to make a legal tackle. Every attempt to go in high and dangerous with the upper part of the body into the head of a player.

Different camera angle tells a different story. Note Naholo is coming from the 15m line

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 am 

mr bungle wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

RG Snyman

Naholo

This.

hmmmm you sure? Pleasant-Tate has gone home & is missing the Farce game due to a neck injury from the Snyman shoulder

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:53 am 

swc wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

RG Snyman

Naholo

This.

hmmmm you sure? Pleasant-Tate has gone home & is missing the Farce game due to a neck injury from the Snyman shoulder

That's no good. I was referencing from how both players visibly looked after each collision.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:40 am 

Jensrsa wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Rubbish.

Different camera angle tells a different story. Note Naholo is coming from the 15m line

Those are both premeditated acts of dangerous foul play. Hope they both get lengthy bans.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:15 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Rubbish.

Agree with the card and the sanction for Naholo. However, how do you "premeditate" a collision that happens in a split second. This is a collision sport, and collisions happen.

Those are both premeditated acts of dangerous foul play. Hope they both get lengthy bans.

Agree with the card and the sanction for Naholo. However, how do you "premeditate" a collision that happens in a split second. This is a collision sport, and collisions happen. Two moving bodies competing for the same space is going to result in contact. Reactions in that case are instinctive. The outcome is unfortunate, but can't always be avoided.

Injuries are not always the result of foul play.

Even Snymans act, while a little bit stupid on his part (the ball was already won), are no different to hundreds of ruck entries we see every game.....except he didn't involve his arms. Had he done so he prolly would have only been penalised, if that.

People are too quick to jump on the "premeditated" horse.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:31 am 

obelixtim wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Rubbish.

Agree with the card and the sanction for Naholo. However, how do you "premeditate" a collision that happens in a split second. This is a collision sport, and collisions happen.

Agree with the card and the sanction for Naholo. However, how do you "premeditate" a collision that happens in a split second. This is a collision sport, and collisions happen. Two moving bodies competing for the same space is going to result in contact. Reactions in that case are instinctive. The outcome is unfortunate, but can't always be avoided.

Even Snymans act, while a little bit stupid on his part (the ball was already won), are no different to hundreds of ruck entries we see every game.....except he didn't involve his arms. Had he done so he prolly would have only been penalised, if that.

So why do you agree with the red card if you think it was an unfortunate accident?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am 

obelixtim wrote:

Ask any rugby player or boxer or any sportsman in any fast moving sport. Ice hockey ...
The better ones have even more time.

Both Naholo and Snyman went out to hammer the other guy into oblivion. IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 am 

They have made it pretty clear that the head is sacrosanct, accidental or not. Just like contact in the air. Penalties and cards will follow.

I'm surprised the guy who got hit by Naholo continued to play. They seem to be sending them off for HIA pretty quickly these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:44 am 

obelixtim wrote:
They have made it pretty clear that the head is sacrosanct, accidental or not. .

I'm not aware the powers that me have said that an accidental knock to the head means someone has to get sent off.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Ask any rugby player or boxer or any sportsman in any fast moving sport. Ice hockey ...
The better ones have even more time.

Both Naholo and Snyman went out to hammer the other guy into oblivion. IMHO.

Rubbish. Naholo could have altered his line and hit the other guy much harder. A glancing blow is not "hammering the other guy into oblivion.

As for Snyman, forwards are trained to hit rucks hard, and do so every game. The point is to effect a turnover with counter rucking. He got it quite wrong on this occasion, and paid the penalty...it cost his team the game I reckon....because the try was disallowed and I doubt the Landers would have come back from there. His penalty comes from being a bit reckless in what he is trained to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:49 am 

That Snyman one is not "a bit reckless". It's extremely irresponsible and deserves a good few weeks rest.

The Naholo one is less premeditated but still he drops the shoulder recklessly when he realises he can't get to the ball.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 am 

Kid A wrote:
That Snyman one is not "a bit reckless". It's extremely irresponsible and deserves a good few weeks rest.

The Naholo one is less premeditated but still he drops the shoulder recklessly when he realises he can't get to the ball.

Snyman's is dangerous, deliberate and downright dirty