Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2075 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:47 pm 

Harveys wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Harveys wrote:
bimboman wrote:
How much have ripple spent ? Will there be competing services ?

Does,XRP have limited numbers like Bitcoin ? When you say "release" I'm assuming they're differant from mined coins.?

Unsure what has been spent.

Competing services as in other crypto players going after the same market? No one is remotely close to ripples level of development in that space.

Yes, 100 Billion. 39 in circulation and 55 in escrow. 1 billion is released from escrow each month for ripple to sell to institutional investors, it does not go to open market and goes back to escrow if unused.

Are they selling any portion of x current with the coins ? Does the market think they'll make the coins central to the eventual tech ?

You know the issue lies with how the users of the tech (banks) value and hedge the volatility of the coins if they HAVE to hold them, they can't be subject to open exchange and be useful .

100 billion is a huge number, BTC has 16.8m. The banks holding restricts total circulation which is needed. I have heard that a higher stable number would work best for the application. There is burn off so it is deflationary. Ripple Burn For every transaction on the ripple network the ledger deducts 10 drops as terms of ripple it is 0.00001 of a ripple. At this calculation that is for every 100,000 transactions 1 Ripple is burned

So burns not the issue. 100 billion USD to corner the banking exchange market would be interesting though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Harveys wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Harveys wrote:
bimboman wrote:
How much have ripple spent ? Will there be competing services ?

Does,XRP have limited numbers like Bitcoin ? When you say "release" I'm assuming they're differant from mined coins.?

Unsure what has been spent.

Competing services as in other crypto players going after the same market? No one is remotely close to ripples level of development in that space.

Yes, 100 Billion. 39 in circulation and 55 in escrow. 1 billion is released from escrow each month for ripple to sell to institutional investors, it does not go to open market and goes back to escrow if unused.

Are they selling any portion of x current with the coins ? Does the market think they'll make the coins central to the eventual tech ?

You know the issue lies with how the users of the tech (banks) value and hedge the volatility of the coins if they HAVE to hold them, they can't be subject to open exchange and be useful .

100 billion is a huge number, BTC has 16.8m. The banks holding restricts total circulation which is needed. I have heard that a higher stable number would work best for the application. There is burn off so it is deflationary. Ripple Burn For every transaction on the ripple network the ledger deducts 10 drops as terms of ripple it is 0.00001 of a ripple. At this calculation that is for every 100,000 transactions 1 Ripple is burned

So burns not the issue. 100 billion USD to corner the banking exchange market would be interesting though.

If it was valued at 1USD. Value would be higher and devisable by 000000.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:26 pm 

It's difficult to value ripple if they become intrinsic as the regulators won't allow it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:39 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
My 7200 - 7500 may well be tested here.

Close to 7000 now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 pm 

I've done some sophisticated chart work. It's going down to $500.

The print edition of the Telegraph this morning lead with a story about Lloyds putting the kybosh on folk buying cryptos on their credit cards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:

The print edition of the Telegraph this morning lead with a story about Lloyds putting the kybosh on folk buying cryptos on their credit cards.

Instinctively the damage has already been done. They've more than likely just realised that between the middle of Dec and mid Jan a couple of hundred thousand people maxed their credit card with BTC purchase. Maybe a couple of billion spent with their customers exposed to approx £1bn losses.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:23 pm 

Leinster in London wrote:

Instinctively the damage has already been done. They've more than likely just realised that between the middle of Dec and mid Jan a couple of hundred thousand people maxed their credit card with BTC purchase. Maybe a couple of billion spent with their customers exposed to approx £1bn losses.

I think poor TranceNRG is one of them. The people encouraging others to invest in this recently are scum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:26 pm 

Yep. It's a funny old bank. It just parks itself on the High Street not doing very much but people tend to forget that it's the largest bank in the UK, and by a distance. António is probably tearing strips off his Retail and Cards people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:28 pm 

Bowens wrote:

I think poor TranceNRG is one of them. The people encouraging others to invest in this recently are scum.

The Lee brothers should be arrested and thrown in prison. One in China, and one in the US. Find a crime and pin them with it. People are going to be ropeable about this, and pretty soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm 

Bowens wrote:

You don't think the pink sheets are gonna save the day then?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm 

Were there any stories about celebs making millions from cyrptos for selling a souvenir? That could be a game changer, or at least sucker a few more people into buying.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Bowens wrote:

You don't think the pink sheets are gonna save the day then?

There's definitely some pump and dump going on here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 pm 

How much has the US Stock market lost in the last week?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 pm 

sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:47 pm 

sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

It's a serious question? You seem to forget that I've been involved in cryptocurrencies for 6 years this year. I've been through several major crashes. The technology is here to stay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:48 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

It's a serious question? You seem to forget that I've been involved in cryptocurrencies for 6 years this year. I've been through several major crashes. The technology is here to stay.

You are a complete clown.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

You are a complete clown.

You don't even know me. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:05 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

The S&P is down 3.28% on the week. Bitcoin is down 33% , there's no risk comparison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:09 pm 

Bitcoin and the more general cryptomarket have gone through numerous crashes, with each one joyously declared the death of Bitcoin by various nocoiners, and a subsequent all time high for BTC following that. Is there any reason in particular that this is going to be the crash to end all crashes?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:11 pm 

bimboman wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

The S&P is down 3.28% on the week. Bitcoin is down 33% , there's no risk comparison

Of course there is no risk comparison. It's about $1 trillion? 2 times the size of the entire crypto market? Anyway, regardless, everyone has been expecting this since the massive surge late November.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:15 pm 

goeagles wrote:
Bitcoin and the more general cryptomarket have gone through numerous crashes, with each one joyously declared the death of Bitcoin by various nocoiners, and a subsequent all time high for BTC following that. Is there any reason in particular that this is going to be the crash to end all crashes?

When would you say 60% losses had occurred 2013 ? Why did that happen ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:16 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
bimboman wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

Of course there is no risk comparison. It's about $1 trillion? 2 times the size of the entire crypto market? Anyway, regardless, everyone has been expecting this since the massive surge late November.

So you sold short ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:21 pm 

bimboman wrote:
goeagles wrote:

No idea what you're getting at here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:22 pm 

bimboman wrote:

So you sold short ?

More like stopped short by Frank Costanza.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm 

bimboman wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
bimboman wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Good grief.

So you sold short ?

What I've been doing is minute trading selling on RSI crossovers (sometimes preempting crossovers with a guess confident the market is falling) and following this with a trailing stop buy at a couple of $. Normally around the 1BTC mark per trade so make about 0.7% - 1%.

The end game is not to have more $USD it's to have more BTC (or other major market cap crypto)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:30 pm 

bimboman wrote:

So you sold short ?

More like stopped short by Frank Costanza.

:lol: You must really be hurting a bit SON?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35 pm 

Bowens wrote:

Nah I'm alright, I only spent about 2,3 grand on Bitcoins, Ethereum and Ripple. If they collapse it's not the end of the world for me as its only about 2% of my investments though I'd be annoyed naturally. And no I didn't bottow money to invest in Cryptos.
I do feel for loads of people who spent a lot more including a couple of my colleagues who have invested heavily in them.
Having said that I'm not sure this is the end of these coins. I'll just hold them and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:36 pm 

TranceNRG wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Nah I'm alright, I only spent about 2,3 grand on Bitcoins, Ethereum and Ripple. If they collapse it's not the end of the world for me as its only about 2% of my investments though I'd be annoyed naturally. And no I didn't bottow money to invest in Cryptos.
I do feel for loads of people who spent a lot more including a couple of my colleagues who have invested heavily in them.
Having said that I'm not sure this is the end of these coins. I'll just hold them and see what happens.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:59 pm 

[quote="sorCrer"]
The end game is not to have more $USD it's to have more BTC (or other major market cap crypto)[/quote]

And it's a really weird endgame too. What's the point of it? It's a finite resource. The less dispersed the ownership the less liquid, the less useful and the less valuable. And that's assuming it eventually gets a use in the first place.

You're treating it like gold. It's not gold.

Let me ask you this: how rich would you be if owned all of the Bitcoins?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:18 pm 

Santa wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
The end game is not to have more $USD it's to have more BTC (or other major market cap crypto)

And it's a really weird endgame too. What's the point of it? It's a finite resource. The less dispersed the ownership the less liquid, the less useful and the less valuable. And that's assuming it eventually gets a use in the first place.

As rich as Smaug the Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:20 pm 

Quote:
What I've been doing is minute trading selling on RSI crossovers (sometimes preempting crossovers with a guess confident the market is falling) and following this with a trailing stop buy at a couple of $. Normally around the 1BTC mark per trade so make about 0.7% - 1%.

But if you knew this collapse was coming you'd have doubled your BTC holding if you'd sold them then and bought them back today. It makes little sense not doing that IF you knew this was going to happen.

Plus the end game will still be valued in USD in your life time. Stop it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:22 pm 

goeagles wrote:
bimboman wrote:
goeagles wrote:

Bitcoin hasn't had one of its "numerous crashes " of this depth since 2013, so understanding what happened then , why it occurred etc would be useful now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm 

I get the feeling that there's a strange conflation of cryptos as currency and as securities. As if buying cryptos buys you access to an additional cash flow that is apart from the use of the crypto as a currency.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 pm 

Santa wrote:
I get the feeling that there's a strange conflation of cryptos as currency and as securities. As if buying cryptos buys you access to an additional cash flow that is apart from the use of the crypto as a currency.

In the case of ripple and etherum that may eventually be true. Though of course as pointed out earlier at this point they cannot have trading vol in large amounts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:40 pm 

bimboman wrote:
goeagles wrote:
bimboman wrote:
goeagles wrote:

Bitcoin hasn't had one of its "numerous crashes " of this depth since 2013, so understanding what happened then , why it occurred etc would be useful now.

I'm not sure of the endgame but over the years seeing a couple of other bubbly investments blowing up, I wonder if BTC is heading there too.
In the 90's Guinness Peat Aviation (Aircraft Leasing) tried to do an IPO. There were doubts laid, and the finance sector backed off. The net result was GPA ended up destroyed as an entity. Their business model survived though. In particular through executives that had worked for the company. Aircraft Leasing is now a major industry. The investment money is coming from Japanese banks & investment Funds rather than IPO's.
In the 00's was Baltimore. Here I'm sure the technology ideas survived although the company did not.

So although there is a proper business model behind cryptos, and the fact BTC were first, it does not protect them from market sentiment. The loss of investment confidence along with technological advances of their competitors could finish it in the near term.

Last edited by Leinster in London on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm 

Santa wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

I'm treating it like cryptocurrency. I speculate, hodl, code and buy stuff with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm 

SEC Chairman Jay Clayton testimony today.

https://www.banking.senate.gov/public/? ... 894573D57D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
Santa wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

I'm treating it like cryptocurrency. I speculate, hodl, code and buy stuff with it.

Thats all valued in USD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:07 pm 

bimboman wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Santa wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Thats all valued in USD.

Well, yes. Everything can pretty much be valued in USD. Although it's quite common amongst traders to value in Sats.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:13 pm 

My point is you'll need USD or a currency equivalent .... You don't view your self as having lost money in the last week, but in your eventual plan of being long BTC you have, the book value has halved in any real trading terms you've lost money.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2075 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next