Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:23 am 

dam0 wrote:
Quote:
Harveys wrote:
dam0 wrote:
Duno what you have been watching but there has been huge drops and swings over the last 24h.

Sure, but nothing that is unprecedented. LTC, ETH and XRP have all had days recently when they've risen over 100%. Some of that gain has been lost, as you might expect, but they're all doing OK in general. No point in losing one's shut over the volatile nature of these things.

I'm not, I bought a good amount of IOTA and stellar yesterday one I worked out how to send coins from Exchange to exchange.

This is undeniably all over the shop for people new to this. Quite emotional actually :nod:

Quite. Pays not to look too often. There are many more false signals than real one's from what I can tell.

Surely there are no real or false signals. Here just the relationship between the time that you make a trade and random price movement after that.

Someone should model these price movements. I'm betting it's a true random walk.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:02 am 

Santa wrote:
dam0 wrote:
Quote:
Harveys wrote:
dam0 wrote:
Duno what you have been watching but there has been huge drops and swings over the last 24h.

Sure, but nothing that is unprecedented. LTC, ETH and XRP have all had days recently when they've risen over 100%. Some of that gain has been lost, as you might expect, but they're all doing OK in general. No point in losing one's shut over the volatile nature of these things.

I'm not, I bought a good amount of IOTA and stellar yesterday one I worked out how to send coins from Exchange to exchange.

This is undeniably all over the shop for people new to this. Quite emotional actually :nod:

Quite. Pays not to look too often. There are many more false signals than real one's from what I can tell.

Surely there are no real or false signals. Here just the relationship between the time that you make a trade and random price movement after that.

Someone should model these price movements. I'm betting it's a true random walk.

I dont think it is. All of us regular traders knew what was going to happen over the last 48 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:58 am 

Quote:

I dont think it is. All of us regular traders knew what was going to happen over the last 48 hours.

Regular traders... guffaw.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:03 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Quote:

Regular traders... guffaw.[/quot

Been trading daily since 2013 so yeah I'd say regular. You're really quite bitter about cryptocurrencies, SON. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 am 

sorCrer wrote:
Quote:

Been trading daily since 2013 so yeah I'd say regular. You're really quite bitter about cryptocurrencies, SON. :lol:

You're a menace. A lot of what you get up to is illegal in a properly regulated market. The whole thing is just a video game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:33 am 

sorCrer wrote:
Quote:

You're a menace. A lot of what you get up to is illegal in a properly regulated market. The whole thing is just a video game.

Illegal. :((

What do I do that is illegal? Apart from the odd charge of c that is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:40 am 

sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Quote:

You're a living blurred line between trading, broking, advisory etc etc. It's a joke.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:54 pm 

Trying to get a Nano S to add or remove diffrent currencys on the device via the ledger manager is not working and just giving me a "faild" message. I have just set the device up. Anyone else experence this or know what I am doing wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Yeah look, Sen, it's good of you but don't worry about me. I'm old enough to make decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:06 pm 

Harveys wrote:
Trying to get a Nano S to add or remove diffrent currencys on the device via the ledger manager is not working and just giving me a "faild" message. I have just set the device up. Anyone else experence this or know what I am doing wrong?

The Chrome app?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:22 pm 

my mining profitability is looking ropey now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:28 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Yeah look, Sen, it's good of you but don't worry about me. I'm old enough to make decisions.

I don't think he is worried about you :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:54 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
Harveys wrote:

The Chrome app?

Yes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm 

Well i hooked up with my IT/wideboy/geek mate and he tried to explain it all to me.

He's got an iPod looking thing to store his code in.
He's installing a bitcoin ATM at his place.
Don't store in coinbase.
Don't buy 'bitcoin cash'.
Buy ethereum.

Even if bitcoin isn't a big winner crypto currency is the future.

Have i missed anything?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:05 pm 

Harveys wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Harveys wrote:

The Chrome app?

Yes

Had an issue once using a 3rd party cable. Are you using the original?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:11 pm 

I really hope nobody from here panicked yesterday and sold up. :lol:

Most of the currencies I hold have bounced back pretty solidly. BTC is around USD15.5k which is down from its absolute height, but still pretty high.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:02 am 

sorCrer wrote:
Harveys wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Harveys wrote:

The Chrome app?

Yes

Had an issue once using a 3rd party cable. Are you using the original?

Original, I will have another go tonight, frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:30 am 

dam0 wrote:

Most of the currencies I hold have bounced back pretty solidly. BTC is around USD15.5k which is down from its absolute height, but still pretty high.

Expect more volatility.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:53 am 

sorCrer wrote:
dam0 wrote:

Expect more volatility.

Visionary stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:04 am 

dam0 wrote:

I keep hearing.people say such things but why? They could have made a killing selling at the top of the slide and buyin again at the bottom. In fact ... isnt that the whole game? Why does everyone keep saying; "I hope no-one sold"?

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:09 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
dam0 wrote:

I keep hearing.people say such things but why? They could have made a killing selling at the top of the slide and buyin again at the bottom. In fact ... isnt that the whole game? Why does everyone keep saying; "I hope no-one sold"?

People are claiming some insight into the behaviour of this market. That is actually impossible. It’s a blind gamble, accept it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:13 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
dam0 wrote:

People are claiming some insight into the behaviour of this market. That is actually impossible. It’s a blind gamble, accept it.

Even so, and even if their insight is correct, if they originally bought at anything more than 15K wouldnt they now be at a loss unless they sold? Why do you hope that? Shouldnt you hope they sold everything and bought again when it was lower?

Im a total newb so its a genuine question.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:18 am 

That’s not my point Mog. My point was about Dam0’s claim that he knew not to panic and sell yesterday. He’s claiming that he knew there would be an instant rebound. He could not have known this, it was a guess.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:22 am 

I understand, Im just adding to your point. Wouldnt selling have been the profitable move if you then bought again once it was lower? Why does eveyone "hope nobody sold"?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:25 am 

Only if assume it’s going to go up again I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:35 am 

I don't think damo has or is suggesting he is calling the market. It's been repeatedly suggested here, as well as on most other forums to only put in what you are prepared to loose. Shiting the bed and selling on a drop kinda suggests otherwise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Only if assume it’s going to go up again I suppose.

Either way. If the market slumps; whether it rebounds or not, shouldnt you hope everyone sold? You could add the extra caveat that if it goes up again, you could also hope they bought again at the lowest ebb. But either way I dont understand the "hope nobody sold" sentiment. Assuming you want these people to trade profitably. Isnt the whole point of trading to sell before a drop and buy before a rise?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:12 am 

So, turns out people are still fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:14 pm 

paddyor wrote:

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or agreeing with me. But if it's the first thing, note that I've already said I'm a total novice - and I mean a real total novice - and the questions I'm asking are genuine. I don't think that's "faking stupid". If it's the second thing, then yeah ... I see a lot of these type of "HOLD THE LINE, STAY WITH ME", or "hahaha hope nobody sold!" kind of posts on eToro. I don't understand why. Wouldn't it be good to take a sell position before a huge slump, profit$$$, and then take a buy position before it rebounds? If "hold then line, don't sell" really is a good trading strategy, then it elludes me. But then again, that wouldn't be hard since I have no idea whatsoever about how trading and markets work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:24 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or agreeing with me. But if it's the first thing, note that I've already said I'm a total novice - and I mean a real total novice - and the questions I'm asking are genuine. I don't think that's "faking stupid". If it's the second thing, then yeah ... I see a lot of these type of "HOLD THE LINE, STAY WITH ME", or "hahaha hope nobody sold!" kind of posts on eToro. I don't understand why. Wouldn't it be good to take a sell position before a huge slump, profit$$$, and then take a buy position before it rebounds? If "hold then line, don't sell" really is a good trading strategy, then it elludes me. But then again, that wouldn't be hard since I have no idea whatsoever about how trading and markets work.

You might be the only smart person in the market. You're Socrates at the Oracle of Delphi.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:26 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Not about you originally, but that post makes me wonder :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:40 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Mog is like a character from Twain's 'Innocents Abroad', blundering about Europe, breaking crockery like Barry Crocker, and boldly stating in the Sistine Chapel 'I don't know much about art but I know what I like, and Mick had a right chunder on the ceiling there.'

He's the most honest man on here. Top lad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:41 pm 

double.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:41 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

You might be the only smart person in the market. You're Socrates at the Oracle of Delphi.

Hmmmm. Well I'm not saying I know how to do it effectively. I'm just noting that there seems to be a strong, "don't sell", "hold the line" kind of mentality in regards to trading in cryptos. And every rebound people saying, "well I hope nobody went and sold!".

FWIW, I took a sell position at 17.500 when everyone was saying not to. It went up to about 20 but I'm pretty happy now. Beginner's luck.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:45 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Hmmmm. Well I'm not saying I know how to do it effectively. I'm just noting that there seems to be a strong, "don't sell", "hold the line" kind of mentality in regards to trading in cryptos. And every rebound people saying, "well I hope nobody went and sold!".

FWIW, I took a sell position at 17.500 when everyone was saying not to. It went up to about 20 but I'm pretty happy now. Beginner's luck.

Got a link to these forums?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:48 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Mog is like a character from Twain's 'Innocents Abroad', blundering about Europe, breaking crockery like Barry Crocker, and boldly stating in the Sistine Chapel 'I don't know much about art but I know what I like, and Mick had a right chunder on the ceiling there.'

He's the most honest man on here. Top lad.

Unsure how to take that, but it made me laugh. Merry Christmas to you too.

R.e. the forums, it's eToro. I think you can make an account and just look at what everyone's saying without depositing anything or providing any ID. They have a sort of "twitter feed" thing for each commodity where people discuss it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:20 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Those people are investors looking for long-term gains by holding the stock they bought long term while you are more of a trader looking for continual shorter term gains by buying/shorting when it goes down/up. A lot of investors, like Sauce it seems,trade around their long-term positions by taking profit when it goes up a lot/even shorting and then buying it back when it goes down. For other investors it's just easier to keep holding since they don't have time to monitor the price movement as much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:03 pm 

Cartman wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Those people are investors looking for long-term gains by holding the stock they bought long term while you are more of a trader looking for continual shorter term gains by buying/shorting when it goes down/up. A lot of investors, like Sauce it seems,trade around their long-term positions by taking profit when it goes up a lot/even shorting and then buying it back when it goes down. For other investors it's just easier to keep holding since they don't have time to monitor the price movement as much.

You're fairly right here. Yes, I am speculating but I do have an innate belief that this is the future of transacting so I'm backing this as an early adopter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:25 pm 

Harveys wrote:
I don't think damo has or is suggesting he is calling the market. It's been repeatedly suggested here, as well as on most other forums to only put in what you are prepared to loose. Shiting the bed and selling on a drop kinda suggests otherwise.

Yeah that's kind of my point. People shouldn't put themselves in a position where the fortunes of these cryptocurrency markets has a big impact on their financial position. It should be no more than 5 -10% of one's total investment portfolio (and not concentrated in any one coin). That way if there is a negative swing you don't need to panic and can act rationally and calmly.

Nobody can predict what is going to happen, but I think there is a good chance that at least some of the major coins will continue to rise.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:16 pm 

they all seem tightly coupled to me. the gamble right now is on cryoto in general. not any particular coin. in my novice opinion. its fun but Im going out on a speculative limb and saying I think we will see btc hit 5 before it climbs to 20 again. Even 5 was an unbelievable price that made millionaires.

And I do agree that I suspect cryoto or something will be the very long term future. But.the.time of quick profits is over. at least for many years. all thats left is delusional get rich quick hopefulls driving extremely.volatile short term spikes and dips within an obvious overall tanking. imo. take with grain of salt. queue me waking tomorrow to see it at 25.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next