Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:27 am 

:twisted:
of people you know, of course, not yourself

slotting some sort of work related conference or obligation into a holiday and claiming on travel seems to be a popular one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:53 am 

Have that in hand. On trip to UK last November we spent a full day on a guided tour with her UK counterpart of sites the missus company manages there (O2 Arena, City Hall, The Exchequer etc) for which she is claiming the business class airfare and part of the penthouse apartment accommodation at the Cheval Quays in Tower Hill. Paper and electronic evidence abounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:17 am 

comments in the paper suggesting one dude that had successfully claimed driving to and parking at work for 20 years. that would add up to a decent amount of coin indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:54 am 

Live in the Bahamas. No tax problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:19 am 

In Japan they introduced a rule that if you bought and renovated a house of stone over 100 years old or a wooden house over 20 years old you could depreciate the cost against your tax bill. It was to encourage saving old Japanese buildings but because Japan is 99.9% Japanese Japanese they didn’t both stipulating where the house had to be. Most expat friends bought ski chalets in Canada whilst I bought a Georgian flat in Edinburgh. Paid significantly less tax for years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:27 am 

Selling my laptop to my business was pretty good - £1500 off a tax bill just for putting a one line entry into my tax return. My accountant showed me this, and more than paid for his annual fees alone.

Winding your company up within a year to get a whole percent off as ‘entrepreneurs relief’ was another good one.

Buying additional flats to offset the ones you are printing money from is also good.
Putting a tank of petrol on there as sundry costs , as long as it’s under 1/25 of your normal operating costs then HMRC don’t check this apparently.

I would have thought this thread would have had more terse, relevant, truthful and affordable advice tbf. I like HkHj’s wheeze the best though, sticking it to the japs!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 am 

HKCJ wrote:
In Japan they introduced a rule that if you bought and renovated a house of stone over 100 years old or a wooden house over 20 years old you could depreciate the cost against your tax bill. It was to encourage saving old Japanese buildings but because Japan is 99.9% Japanese Japanese they didn’t both stipulating where the house had to be. Most expat friends bought ski chalets in Canada whilst I bought a Georgian flat in Edinburgh. Paid significantly less tax for years.

Filed for the next "Tax is a moral obligation and avoidance is bad" thread.

p.s. good work.

p.p.s. Are you still in Jpan? If so, try not to die. Have just discovered the wonders of extra-territorial Japanese inheritance tax.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:37 pm 

zzzz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Filed for the next "Tax is a moral obligation and avoidance is bad" thread.

p.s. good work.

p.p.s. Are you still in Jpan? If so, try not to die. Have just discovered the wonders of extra-territorial Japanese inheritance tax.

Up to governments to close any loopholes IMO.. evasion is definitely morally wrong.. avoidance is a grey area! No longer in Japan but yeah the inheritance tax was quite steep if I recall.