Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:01 pm 

Ronseal.

Troops deployed to key sites, likely to be present at sporting and cultural events including AP final.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:03 pm 

To be fair, poor old France have gone through months of this, it's the logical next step.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:04 pm 

I saw that, and my first though was being at Twickers this weekend. Pretty scary when there is an attack "imminent", and I'm at one of the biggest sporting events that day. The FA Cup final is on the same afternoon too.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:04 pm 

wouldn't a poorly educated squaddie be a poorer decision maker? These environments are very different

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 pm 

paneer wrote:
wouldn't a poorly educated squaddie be a poorer decision maker? These environments are very different

Squaddies don't make the decisions kid and are pretty disciplined when it comes to rules of engagement.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
paneer wrote:

Squaddies don't make the decisions kid and are pretty disciplined when it comes to rules of engagement.

Peel or be peeled.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 pm 

we currently have some of the best trained soldiers in the world. Poor feckers.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 pm 

I'd rather have a trigger happy squaddie than a copper with a taser tbf.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:21 pm 

Is the military just about the visual reassurance?

As the attackers tend to use bombs on young girls or HGVs on random pedestrians, I'm not sure if they will go toe to toe with some soldiers?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:22 pm 

SamShark wrote:

As the attackers tend to use bombs on young girls or HGVs on random pedestrians, I'm not sure if they will go toe to toe with some soldiers?

pretty much

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm 

Quote:
The prime minister also confirmed the government had triggered "Operation Temperer", a long-standing emergency plan to put soldiers into key public locations to support armed police in protecting the public.

Military personnel may also be seen at other events over the coming weeks, such as concerts, Mrs May said, and would work under the command of police officers.

The highest level has only been reached twice before.

The first occasion was in 2006 during a major operation to stop a plot to blow up transatlantic airliners with liquid bombs.

The following year, security chiefs raised it once more as they hunted for the men who had tried to bomb a London nightclub, before going on to attack Glasgow Airport.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 pm 

SamShark wrote:

If they are planning on driving a truck like in other places the soldier will not be that much more effective,

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm 

paneer wrote:
SamShark wrote:

If they are planning on driving a truck like in other places the soldier will not be that much more effective,

Being able to shoot a driver with an SA80 is much better than not being able to shoot a driver with an SA80. Engage your brain.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:32 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

You wouldn't if you were Brazilian.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:32 pm 

DAC2016 wrote:
paneer wrote:
SamShark wrote:

Being able to shoot a driver with an SA80 is much better than not being able to shoot a driver with an SA80. Engage your brain.

Not much you can do with a suicide bomber in a crowd though, unless you shoot the guy wearing a massive jacket for a 30 degree c Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:33 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
DAC2016 wrote:
paneer wrote:
SamShark wrote:

Not much you can do with a suicide bomber in a crowd though, unless you shoot the guy wearing a massive jacket for a 30 degree c Saturday.

Not really but there are plenty of cases of SBs being taken out before they've had chance to detonate.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

That reminds me. I need to top up my oyster card.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 pm 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

That reminds me. I need to top up my oyster card.
:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 pm 

5,000 troops the rumour. f**king hell.

And guess who has to work in the bloody city tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:10 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

On this occasion I agree with you.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:12 pm 

Other then saving on police overtime, can anyone explain what this will achieve?

...and maybe remove a lot of trigger happy amateurs off the streets

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:16 pm 

kagamusha wrote:
Other then saving on police overtime, can anyone explain what this will achieve?

They have intel that another attack is likely, they have to do something

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:20 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

They were just brave shooters who did a pretty good job. Both they and the dead guy were let down by Dick.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:25 pm 

Funny thing is - there were armed coppers on the streets in Newcastle on Monday, which (despite the proclivity of some of the locals for punching horses) is very unusual - I thought fair enough, lots of RL fans in the Town over the weekend, but obviously the authorities new something was going down. Still floating about today. They better be on their toes over the weekend though - might get their machine guns nicked, the Toon is wilder than Dodge City on a Friday....

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:27 pm 

Soldiers are more than likely better at spotting SB than civvie police. After all they've had to combat against then plenty times in the Middle East. People are more than likely to stop what they're doing when challenged by a soldier with a rifle, but rules of engagement are drilled into service personnel the moment they pick up a weapon. As long as they personally believe that they're a threat to human life the they can take the appropriate action required including firing their rifle.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:34 pm 

Soldiers will be there as support to the civil power, ie the police can be spread further with army back up.

Also ticks the seen to be doing something box.

And has arms trained personnel close by should it come to that, though I imagine squaddies training works on hitting more people than police officers.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 pm 

I better get the trusty blade and apron out. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:50 pm 

kagamusha wrote:

It might influence the way some people vote.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 pm 

well than's an hour on my holiday check in on Saturday at Manchester :x

#first world problems

Last edited by c69 on Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Will they be putting military out on the streets in Northern Ireland was well? A potential target for ISIS too? Is the terror level alert UK wide?

Last edited by YOYO on Tue May 23, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOYO wrote:
Will they be putting military out on the streets in Northern Ireland was well? A potent target for ISIS too?

Nah the IRA are far more scary

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:00 am 

YOYO wrote:
Will they be putting military out on the streets in Northern Ireland was well? A potential target for ISIS too? Is the terror level alert UK wide?

I'm not sure they have enough stationed there.

They'll have the troops where they think they're needed, and, thankfully, it's unlikely to be NI.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:04 am 

camroc1 wrote:
YOYO wrote:

I'm not sure they have enough stationed there.

They'll have the troops where they think they're needed, and, thankfully, it's unlikely to be NI.

ISIS wouldn't get too far there me thinks.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:23 am 

The intensity and amplitude of the explosion means that it was a sophisticated IED.

That type of IED usually have more than the usual four layers, often individually constructed and meticulously integrated. And it needed to be stable for transportation and to pass security checks.

It's a very delicate operations. It's not something you can build from instructions on a paper or video. One needs extensive training and expertise to construct it.

This means that either the bomber had training or someone build it for him. One way or another he had help. This means there's an active terror cell and potential further attacks.

And with the Police stretch thin on personnel and expertise in this type of operations, Madam Prime Minister May had to call in the Calvary. It was the logical step to bring in the Military. She made the right decision and she should be proud of that. The nation should be glad they have someone like her leading them.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 am 

kagamusha wrote:

Visually it will make it a lot harder for any terrorists. A lot more pressure, a lot more eyes looking at them, a much greater sense of "They know!". If it does nothing more than make them detonate themselves in a less packed environment it's helped.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:58 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Quote:
As long as they personally believe that they're a threat to human life the they can take the appropriate action required including firing their rifle.

How did you get hold of the rules of engagement?

Or you're making shit up as I doubt that they would have that level of decision making available to them

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:44 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Quote:
As long as they personally believe that they're a threat to human life the they can take the appropriate action required including firing their rifle.

How did you get hold of the rules of engagement?

Or you're making shit up as I doubt that they would have that level of decision making available to them

The Military will be working under the Police. So I'm assuming they will be operating under the same RoE the armed police are using.

At least that's what the Regulars will be using. The Hereford & Poole boys might have their own. I've heard they've made an appearance.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:45 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

They were just brave shooters who did a pretty good job. Both they and the dead guy were let down by Dick.

Indeed they did their job- also many of these won't be green kids, plenty will have combat experience. When I was in Paris last year I found the army presence reassuring.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 am 

Oceanbreeze wrote:
The intensity and amplitude of the explosion means that it was a sophisticated IED.

That type of IED usually have more than the usual four layers, often individually constructed and meticulously integrated. And it needed to be stable for transportation and to pass security checks.

It's a very delicate operations. It's not something you can build from instructions on a paper or video. One needs extensive training and expertise to construct it.

This means that either the bomber had training or someone build it for him. One way or another he had help. This means there's an active terror cell and potential further attacks.

Hmmmm... what do you think the four layers are? You've c&p'ed that from the wrong website.

Chucking squaddies onto the streets is just a visible reaction to show the population that they're doing something- anything- to prevent an attack, rather than actually respond to anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:04 am 

paneer wrote:

Define poorly educated? A squaddie who has passed through British army training and served time in Afghanistan / Iraq is hardly going to be 'poorly educated' in the skills required for this deployment even if he's unable to recite Shakespeare or do long division.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next