Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 pm 

What's more impressive is the depth in our SA A side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:36 pm 

Blake wrote:
Bar injuries, I hope we field the same team next week.

I realise building some depth with a rotation policy is important, but I really think we should allow this team to develop some more.

You're safe there with AC as coach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:51 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Jake wrote:
fudge all to do with selections for France. It's down to belief, fitness, skill and pride.

So many French players would walk into most international sides but yet as a collective, they're shite.

I just don't get it (although I should- it's always been the case).

SA just understand the game better, it's simple- they were superb in their directness and patience in defence (and also played an appalling ref a lot better than the French did.)

Outside of Slimani, Vaahaa, Picamoles who out of today's mob would walk into most sides? I know you're a fan of Gourdon but I think that's a bit premature.

Slimani and Baille (prob) would make most teams. Iturria will do some day. I wouldn't take Vaahaa ahead of either Itoje or Kruis. Maybe even the good Gray. Pica on form.

Give him 12 months and I hope/expect Dupont to be in the top 2 in the world.

But yeah, Jake is into hyperbole. Doesn't alter the fact that coaching is the worst in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:53 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Jake wrote:
fudge all to do with selections for France. It's down to belief, fitness, skill and pride.

So many French players would walk into most international sides but yet as a collective, they're shite.

SA just understand the game better, it's simple- they were superb in their directness and patience in defence (and also played an appalling ref a lot better than the French did.)

Outside of Slimani, Vaahaa, Picamoles who out of today's mob would walk into most sides? I know you're a fan of Gourdon but I think that's a bit premature.

Slimani and Baille (prob) would make most teams. Iturria will do some day. I wouldn't take Vaahaa ahead of either Itoje or Kruis. Maybe even the good Gray. Pica on form.

But yeah, Jake is into hyperbole. Doesn't alter the fact that coaching is the worst in the world.

Is coaching responsible for, as an example, TD fudge up in his 22, shit side step & crap pass?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:56 pm 

La soule wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Jake wrote:

Is coaching responsible for, as an example, TD fudge up in his 22, shit side step & crap pass?

The main things wrong:

- fitness
- ambition
- TOP14 produces safety first rugby to keep sugar daddies happy
- lack of a cohesive style across the top French sides (e.g.Eddie Jones has talked to PRL sides pleading with them to support the way he wants Eng to play)
- totally inconsistent selection
- refusal to adapt more modern methods- e..g. still playing with a L and R flanker rather than open and blind.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm 

Jake wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Jake wrote:

The ones you]ve mentioned:

Guirado
Maestri
Fofana
Gourdon (certainly be in ours!)
Baille and or Poroit
Camara is also developing

Baille, Slimani, Picamoles are the only ones I'd really consider for England right now. Even then, Slimani needs to do more for me in the loose as does Baille.

Vahaa, good player and actually I thought he was good in every game he's played in or I've seen this year but I just couldn't see him get ahead of Kruis or Itoje.

I think Spedding is actually a decent player, but there's too much looseness in front of him for him to get away with the odd mistake which all fullbacks make. Supposedly Dupont looks the goods but I left for a BBQ so I didn't get to see if he played second half (didn't check team sheet).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:59 pm 

La soule wrote:

T-D does it ALL the time. 50 caps worth of examples. Who selected him? Did Noves miss all 50 off those games because he was taking an extended dump during them all?

Tell me how it's possible to turn Picamoles to sh*t in a matter of days? It takes special skill to do that and it's a skill that is rewarded handsomely. Only the idea is to do it to your opponent's players.

Noves was largely responsible for making ST the best club in Europe. He should have been given the job then. Instead, he was given it after he'd managed to destroy the very same club.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:13 pm 

Blake wrote:
So pleased with that performance!

Defense held up pretty well and showing some great skills on attack. Team is gaining in confidence and has some nice cohesion. Incremental improvement on last week which is also encouraging.

Starting from a low base? Sure, but it's great seeing an upward curve in Bok rugby again.

Tend to agree. Brilliant performance from Kolisi, probably the best match I've seen him play (obvious man of the match). Serfontein came more into the match as it went on, and was at 13 for the last stretch. Definitely those two have made the most of their chances, neither were guaranteed starters this season before these matches.

I would keep the pack that started this the same (but with Jean-Luc in for Oupa, who hopefully is okay). Maybe replace Malherbe with Oosthuizen, but if they're both still in the 23 it's better to select them with Oosthuizen as the impact player. In the backline, definitely add Frans, with Elton it gives a left and right footer, Frans can also get longer range from clearing kicks/from hand than Elton. It'll help a lot when the Boks are trapped in their own 22, if when they get the ball they can kick the length of the field. Exit strategy still needs work and hasn't improved much from last week. Brilliant defence of the line, but they need to be able to get into the French half when they win the ball, which they're struggling to at the moment.

On the bench I would add Jaco Kriel. The side did well competing on the ground today, but against a side that plays at a faster pace, and moves the ball around more, you need a strong ground player preferably in the backrow. Mvovo did well against the French Baabaas, won the match for SA really (definitely my man of the match) at fullback also, I would be looking at adding him and dropping Leyds who hasn't done anything really.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:27 pm 

Going into the right direction it seems
Whiteley is a lot like MC was a few years ago. Just closing gaps everywhere and adding energy to the team.
I like that we play with energy and intensity. Can still have more intent though and not kick ball away straight away from turnovers, like Hougaard did late in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm 

Jake wrote:
La soule wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Jake wrote:

The main things wrong:

- fitness
- ambition
- lack of a cohesive style across the top French sides (e.g.Eddie Jones has talked to PRL sides pleading with them to support the way he wants Eng to play)
- refusal to adapt more modern methods- e..g. still playing with a L and R flanker rather than open and blind.

You forgot lack of lucidity and structure. 10 mins in the SA 22 and France come away with....... nothing. Says it all really.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 pm 

Jake wrote:
The main things wrong:

- fitness
- ambition

All this is true BUT Townsend, with barely a game under his belt and 1 1/2 Scottish clubs has just manage to win away in Aus with his best players away with the Lions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:40 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Jake wrote:
The main things wrong:

- fitness
- ambition

All this is true BUT Townsend, with barely a game under his belt and 1 1/2 Scottish clubs has just manage to win away in Aus with his best players away with the Lions.

On the flip side, the Scots elected Sturgeon and the French didn't elect Le Pen, so every nation has a different skill set, you just gotta find it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:41 pm 

French players just looked to be in it for themselves and not the team. Talented individuals but no one calling the shots or no one listening.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:45 pm 

Drop Lleyds Ox? How can you tell after 12 min in a Test? The weakest players were Malherbe and Coetzee who isn't a fullback's nutsack!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
Blake wrote:

Defense held up pretty well and showing some great skills on attack. Team is gaining in confidence and has some nice cohesion. Incremental improvement on last week which is also encouraging.

Starting from a low base? Sure, but it's great seeing an upward curve in Bok rugby again.

Tend to agree. Brilliant performance from Kolisi, probably the best match I've seen him play (obvious man of the match). Serfontein came more into the match as it went on, and was at 13 for the last stretch. Definitely those two have made the most of their chances, neither were guaranteed starters this season before these matches.

I would keep the pack that started this the same (but with Jean-Luc in for Oupa, who hopefully is okay). Maybe replace Malherbe with Oosthuizen, but if they're both still in the 23 it's better to select them with Oosthuizen as the impact player. In the backline, definitely add Frans, with Elton it gives a left and right footer, Frans can also get longer range from clearing kicks/from hand than Elton. It'll help a lot when the Boks are trapped in their own 22, if when they get the ball they can kick the length of the field. Exit strategy still needs work and hasn't improved much from last week. Brilliant defence of the line, but they need to be able to get into the French half when they win the ball, which they're struggling to at the moment.

On the bench I would add Jaco Kriel. The side did well competing on the ground today, but against a side that plays at a faster pace, and moves the ball around more, you need a strong ground player preferably in the backrow. Mvovo did well against the French Baabaas, won the match for SA really (definitely my man of the match) at fullback also, I would be looking at adding him and dropping Leyds who hasn't done anything really.

Agree with most of that, except dropping Leyds. While he hasn't done much, he hasn't done much wrong either.
Coetzee on the other hand hasn't been great. I'd get either Mvovo or SP Marais or Combrink in squad to replace him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
La soule wrote:

T-D does it ALL the time. 50 caps worth of examples. Who selected him? Did Noves miss all 50 off those games because he was taking an extended dump during them all?

Tell me how it's possible to turn Picamoles to sh*t in a matter of days? It takes special skill to do that and it's a skill that is rewarded handsomely. Only the idea is to do it to your opponent's players.

Noves was largely responsible for making ST the best club in Europe. He should have been given the job then. Instead, he was given it after he'd managed to destroy the very same club.

Who would have picked instead of TD?

Picamoles looked rinsed. No way near making the impact he should have.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:56 pm 

Great performance from the Bokke. Why would you want Duanne Vermeulen if you can have JLDP. If AC have selected the right captain from the start things would have been a year further down the track.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Drop Lleyds Ox? How can you tell after 12 min in a Test? The weakest players were Malherbe and Coetzee who isn't a fullback's nutsack!

A lot of hype about Lleyds, not much delivery. What is the point in having an A side, if the best players in it don't replace okes in the test team doing not much.

Agree on Malherbe. I would replace him, but then if we end up with him on the bench it's worse. Seems unfair though, Oosthuizen is having a monster season.

Coetzee has surprised me, done much better than I was expecting him to. May get shown up later in the season. I'm guessing you want Frans at 15? His positioning on defence and speed may be an issue at the back.

Probably have come round to what Yank was saying about 12 Frans/13 Serfontein. AC must be thinking something similar because Frans came on for Mapoe. Serfontein has played himself into a starting jersey now, huge pressure on Mapoe next match (I wanted to see Frans/Mapoe this match).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:13 pm 

La soule wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
La soule wrote:

It's not even a question. Except for a seriously confused mind.

Plisson.
- Tin-Duck is 30s, has never delivered and unless he is in the plans for the next RWC, should never be selected again (at FH)
- awful as Plisson is at the moment, he is not worse than T-D, he is young and is the only backup for Lopez
- and finally, just how often does Noves want to dick around with selection consistency?

And Pica. :lol: He is only rinsed when he plays for Noves?

Last edited by Torquemada 1420 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:14 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:

His size is against him. Which is why I agree about Mvovo.
Another Kolbe type player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:16 pm 

OomPB wrote:
Great performance from the Bokke. Why would you want Duanne Vermeulen if you can have JLDP. If AC have selected the right captain from the start things would have been a year further down the track.

Agree completely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:18 pm 

Blake wrote:
Agree with most of that, except dropping Leyds. While he hasn't done much, he hasn't done much wrong either.
Coetzee on the other hand hasn't been great. I'd get either Mvovo or SP Marais or Combrink in squad to replace him.

Or send Coetzee to the bench and give Leyds a starting chance in the 3rd test? So we get an answer on if he should be in the 23? Fullback and the bench wing/fullback, is going to change as the season goes on I think. If Mvovo is playing well, you at least add him to the bench he covers 3 positions.

SP Marais, no way. He's looked good for the Stomps this season, because their backline is so weak, and he's had to take on a lot of responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:20 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

A lot of hype about Lleyds, not much delivery. What is the point in having an A side, if the best players in it don't replace okes in the test team doing not much.

Agree on Malherbe. I would replace him, but then if we end up with him on the bench it's worse. Seems unfair though, Oosthuizen is having a monster season.

Coetzee has surprised me, done much better than I was expecting him to. May get shown up later in the season. I'm guessing you want Frans at 15? His positioning on defence and speed may be an issue at the back.

Probably have come round to what Yank was saying about 12 Frans/13 Serfontein. AC must be thinking something similar because Frans came on for Mapoe. Serfontein has played himself into a starting jersey now, huge pressure on Mapoe next match (I wanted to see Frans/Mapoe this match).

Why feck around with Serfontein. Can no one remember how he got fecked around with JDV. He is doing great and HAS nailed down the 12 jersey. How long have we gone without a decent 12. Frans is not that valuable that it's worth messing around with Serfonteins head.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:29 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
Or send Coetzee to the bench and give Leyds a starting chance in the 3rd test? So we get an answer on if he should be in the 23? Fullback and the bench wing/fullback, is going to change as the season goes on I think. If Mvovo is playing well, you at least add him to the bench he covers 3 positions.

Good call. I'd support that. But one bad performance also shouldn't be an automatic kick out of the squad IMO. Definitely needs some proper gametime so he can be assessed.

ox wagon wrote:
SP Marais, no way. He's looked good for the Stomps this season, because their backline is so weak, and he's had to take on a lot of responsibility.

Maybe, but I like the kid. Has a Willie le Roux vibe but a little less flakey.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
La soule wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
La soule wrote:

It's not even a question. Except for a seriously confused mind.

Plisson.
- Tin-Duck is 30s, has never delivered and unless he is in the plans for the . next RWC, should never be selected again (at FH)
- awful as Plisson is at the moment, he is not worse than T-D, he is young and is the only backup for Lopez
- and finally, just how often does Noves want to dick around with selection consistency?

And Pica. :lol: He is only rinsed when he plays for Noves?

I was expecting the Plisson answer. The scared boy. And I am the deluded one. He needs to rebuild his head before being given another chance.

Pica played OK in the 6N under Noves, no?

Anyway, hatred is blind.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:34 pm 

La soule wrote:
I was expecting the Plisson answer. The scared boy. And I am the deluded one. He needs to rebuild his head before being given another chance.

Pica played OK in the 6N under Noves, no?

Anyway, hatred is blind.

Or don't select Plisson at all. I'm okay with that too. I too think Plisson is gone mentally. Like Poitrenaud, he'll always be a flake.

Noves is shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 pm 

Sards wrote:
Why feck around with Serfontein. Can no one remember how he got fecked around with JDV. He is doing great and HAS nailed down the 12 jersey. How long have we gone without a decent 12. Frans is not that valuable that it's worth messing around with Serfonteins head.

Out of 160 minutes, the combination has been Frans/Serfontein for about 50 minutes of it. It's coincidently, when Serfontein looked best also.

Are you maybe overestimating the opponent the Boks are up against? The Boks will definitely need Frans' unique skillset. Turning being trapped in your own 22, to a lineout in the opponent's 22, is no small thing. Same as converting penalties 60 metres out that are in front. He's no slouch ball in hand either.

The main weakness of the Bok pattern in these two tests. Was how they're trying to exit their 22. In the 1st test they tried tricks (short kicks, running when they had no momentum etc), which failed. In the 2nd test, they just sat and defended their line for ages, which was impressive, but will not be good enough against a stronger opponent. The beauty of the Bok attack in these tests, is it has been very simple stuff done very well. Need to bring the same approach to territory/defence, Frans will answer a lot of the questions that still aren't answered. One kicker in the backline (who can only kick with his left foot), with not much range, will not.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:40 pm 

What a great game. I don't think I've enjoyed a Bok game so much in a long, long time. That was a better French side and we played better than last week.

I've been a critic of Kolisi, but that was a sensational game. I'd love to know what was said to him, he played like he had a demonic possession. I'm very happy for him, great to see a player make such a massive step up, and his passion was infectious to the rest of the team and the fans.

What a difference when JLdP came on from Oupa. We went from an unfit, uninterested player to a youngster who spent the entire afternoon smashing players back. What a great prospect he is.

Serfontein is playing like I remember him playing for the Bok U20s, would love to see him at 13 with Frans at 12.

Our exit plays are the best I've seen them in years. We look well drilled and composed. Credit to Venter.

Still question marks over Cronje and Coetzee for me, but impressed with Rhule's improvement.

And of course credit to AC. He and his team have done a good job. Now lets smash them in the 3rd test :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:54 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
Sards wrote:

Out of 160 minutes, the combination has been Frans/Serfontein for about 50 minutes of it. It's coincidently, when Serfontein looked best also.

Are you maybe overestimating the opponent the Boks are up against? The Boks will definitely need Frans' unique skillset. Turning being trapped in your own 22, to a lineout in the opponent's 22, is no small thing. Same as converting penalties 60 metres out that are in front. He's no slouch ball in hand either.

The main weakness of the Bok pattern in these two tests. Was how they're trying to exit their 22. In the 1st test they tried tricks (short kicks, running when they had no momentum etc), which failed. In the 2nd test, they just sat and defended their line for ages, which was impressive, but will not be good enough against a stronger opponent. The beauty of the Bok attack in these tests, is it has been very simple stuff done very well. Need to bring the same approach to territory/defence, Frans will answer a lot of the questions that still aren't answered. One kicker in the backline (who can only kick with his left foot), with not much range, will not.

Serfontein was not the answer at 13. Can no-one remember the last few years at all.

That poor lad had to move outside for JDV and no one that went there looked good. I still maintain that the Serfontein/ Kriel combination works.

Btw very happy with JLDP and Whiteley and Kolisi

Last edited by Sards on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:57 pm 

Coetzee is a good fullback. You lot are pissed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:58 pm 

Shut up Sard. Kriel's defence is too crap for Test 13.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:00 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:

I certainly am. But he's a crowbar who doesn't pass and gets smashed in contact. Zero x-factor :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:01 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Shut up Sard. Kriel's defence is too crap for Test 13.

You are pissed. He missed 2. Serfontein 4. Kolisi 3. Frans 3. Mostert 4.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:02 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

I certainly am. But he's a crowbar who doesn't pass and gets smashed in contact. Zero x-factor :thumbdown:

For the first time in years we have a fullback that doesn't kick everything and now you complain.

Doesn't pass, we scored a try from his past last week. You lot really should pay more attention.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:06 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

For the first time in years we have a fullback that doesn't kick everything and now you complain.

Doesn't pass, we scored a try from his past last week. You lot really should pay more attention.

He's a Kolbe. He gets smothered and held up at will. Not seeing any great relieving kicks and that shows up Junktjies weakness in this department.

Not every Lions player has to necessarily be the best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:16 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:18 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

I'm with you

Thought he did well

Think that JLDP coming on early had an impact on the way the kolisi played

Watching him on defence in the second half was quite something

How did combrink go yesterday

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:23 pm 

argus wrote:
Cartman wrote:
Kolisi critics are having a bad day

He's not watching

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:28 pm 

ox wagon wrote:
Blake wrote:

Agree with all that except your last sentence as Leyds hasn't really had the opportunity but if he's replaced, Combrink rather please, not Mvovo. Rather bring Senatla in before Mvovo as well. I'd like Combrink and Senatla to have a go at wing moving forward. Rhule has don't decent though.

Last edited by saffer13 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:40 pm 

Congratulations to that new and young Bok side, you were once again much better than us. I hope you confirm this in the 4 Nations.

The game was won in the forwards: you dominated ours in almost every collision, tackle and ruck. Impossible to hope anything for us in those conditions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next