Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 am 

They say it started on the SECOND floor, :( that means most of the people would be cut off from the ground floor before they even knew about the fire.

This is a nightmare scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 am 

bimboman wrote:
The continent is covered in tower blocks. They're not rebuilding them.

No, but they'll be installing sprinklers, better warning systems, removing whatever material caused it to go up faster than would have been thought possible, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 am 

Awful. What a terrible way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:39 am 

Rumours it was a discarded cigarette from an upper floor landing in washing on a balcony lower down.

Shocking incident. Doubt it'll be covered by corporate manslaughter, public opinion will be excoriating.

village wrote:
Just imagine living in one of those other 3 towers on that estate, knowing you and your kids are sleeping in a deathtrap too.

It goes an awful lot further than those other towers. I'm surprised this has not happened more often to be honest.

10m refurbishment last year. There'll be a contractor heading for jail or the airport.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 am 

pieman99 wrote:
Rumours it was a discarded cigarette from an upper floor landing in washing on a balcony lower down.

Shocking incident. Doubt it'll be covered by corporate manslaughter, public opinion will be excoriating.

There's no way anyone can know what caused it at this point in time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Just saw an interview from a tenant who stated a fridge on the 4th floor caught on fire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:44 am 

There's no way in hell a modern tower should be going up in flames like that from a regular fire. Disgraceful. The company needs to be punished into oblivion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:47 am 

bimboman wrote:
englishchief wrote:
If this was arson, the person responsible should be publicly hung. BBC reporting numerous casualties.

Being reported as fire from a fridge ...

Quote:
This will also create s$$$$$$$quillions in building remediation in all those cities with similar housing.

The continent is covered in tower blocks. They're not rebuilding them.

Christ you're an argumentative arshehole. I thought I was bad.

he pretty clearly said remediation. I'd be astounded if that wasn't the case.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 am 

Newsletter from 2014 according to the Guardian live feed
Quote:
Our longstanding ‘stay put’ policy stays in force until you are told otherwise. This means that (unless there is a fire in your flat or in the hallway outside your flat) you should stay inside your flat. This is because Grenfell was designed according to rigorous fire safety standards. Also, the new front doors for each flat can withstand a fire for up to 30 minutes, which gives plenty of time for the fire brigade to arrive.

Hope the loss of life is minimal. What a horrific situation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 am 

People in buildings adjacent to the tower, claiming to have witnessed people jumping from their apartment windows to escape the blaze. Horrific.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:04 am 

18ChinsOfChinatown wrote:
People in buildings adjacent to the tower, claiming to have witnessed people jumping from their apartment windows to escape the blaze. Horrific.

:((
Echoes of the Joelma one when I was much younger.

Always said that if I lived in a block, I'd own a sport 'chute! On a more practical level, given that smoke kills most people (and may have prevented people escaping their flats here?), why more thought isn't given to cheap smoke masks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Quote:
Our longstanding ‘stay put’ policy stays in force until you are told otherwise. This means that (unless there is a fire in your flat or in the hallway outside your flat) you should stay inside your flat. This is because Grenfell was designed according to rigorous fire safety standards. Also, the new front doors for each flat can withstand a fire for up to 30 minutes, which gives plenty of time for the fire brigade to arrive.

How old is that block? Looking at some of the pics, there is only a shell left.

Anyway, it's a moot point if you live on a higher floor because unless you can be airlifted out, your escape options look horribly limited. You have to hope the fire can be quelled.

Unlike commercial buildings, I know of no residential blocks that have sprinkler systems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 am 

Per the Beeb
Quote:
Grenfell Tower was built in 1974 by Kensington and Chelsea Borough Council.
It's part of the Lancaster West Estate, a sprawling inner-city social housing complex of nearly 1,000 homes.
Grenfell Tower underwent a two-year £10m refurbishment as part of a wider transformation of the estate, that was completed last year.
Work included new exterior cladding and a communal heating system.
The 24-storey tower, containing 120 flats, is managed by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO) on behalf of the council.
The local Grenfell Action Group had claimed, before and during the refurbishment, the block constituted a fire risk and residents had warned that access to the site for emergency vehicles was "severely restricted".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 am 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Quote:

Anyway, it's a moot point if you live on a higher floor because unless you can be airlifted out, your escape options look horribly limited. You have to hope the fire can be quelled.

Unlike commercial buildings, I know of no residential blocks that have sprinkler systems.

Not sure on the age of the block. All speculation, but sounds like the fire/smoke didn't take hold and engulf the building instantly. Assuming you actually woke up with no building wide fire alarm. There would possibly have been the opportunity for some on upper floors to escape if they left immediately. Assuming again there are multiple stairwells ect

Just shocking though. Can't imagine being trapped with a family up there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:14 am 

I was in a house fire when I lived in London.
Room was on the first floor of a 3 up 2 down terraced house.
Stayed till the last second chucking my stuff out the window with my horrified housemates yelling at me to get out.
Got a couple of decent mouthfuls of smoke when I finally decided to squeeze out of the small bedroom window and jump.
It's was like swallowing heated dirt.Id hate to die that way. :?

Last edited by BBB on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 am 

I'd be pretty worried about some mentalist deliberately setting a fire if I lived in a similar tower.

There are some sick puppies out there.

Margin_Walker wrote:

Really doesn't bear thinking about.

When Lakanal House went up round my way it was found that, in addition to the issues with lack of fire escapes (see relevant wiki page), each refurb of the block had made it less fire safe because fire safety was well down the list of refurb priorities e.g. below warmth and look. I presumed some lessons had been learnt from that. But Grenfell House went up like it was doused in f**king petrol... What the fudge did they clad the building with?

Locals still talk about Lakanal, and we were lucky because it went up whilst most residents were at work. Grenfell is twice as tall, and it went up in the evening during the week. Horrific.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am 

One of the residents said there were gas works being carried a few days ago...that's the starting point. That fire was being fed. I reckon a gas leak, explosion and then it went up like a Roman candle.

Nice to see the fire brigade are well equipped to deal with it. Those hoses must be reaching the 6th floor with the wind behind them :((

Death Toll? 100 plus?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am 

FullbackAce wrote:
They say it started on the SECOND floor, :( that means most of the people would be cut off from the ground floor before they even knew about the fire.

This is a nightmare scenario.

Those poor souls trapped above, not able to get out :((

Read that people didn't hear alarms going.

Last edited by TranceNRG on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:21 am 

London_Lurker wrote:
When Lakanal House went up round my way it was found that, in addition to the issues with lack of fire escapes (see relevant wiki page), each refurb of the block had made it less fire safe because fire safety was well down the list of refurb priorities e.g. below warmth and look. I presumed some lessons had been learnt from that. But Grenfell House went up like it was doused in f**king petrol... What the fudge did they clad the building with?

Locals still talk about Lakanal, and we were lucky because it went up whilst most residents were at work. Grenfell is twice as tall, and it went up in the evening during the week. Horrific.

Read some stuff on designs post 9/11. Basically, stairwells and lift shafts are chimneys in waiting. If fire gets into them, they act as perfect draws for volumes of colder/fresh oxygen below and exasperate the problem. Tricky stuff to design them so they provide adequate access/escape v having some mechanism to prevent the chimney scenario. One option it to have staging i.e. lift only goes x floors and then you have to switch. Alternating stair wells. Trouble is these are expensive and inconvenient. Globby will know more about lifts.

In the end, alarms/early warning remains the best measure available to most.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 am 

Crash_12 wrote:
We have the technology to prevent anything like this, it shouldn't even be a possibility in this day and age.

'Stay in your flat' :uhoh:

Thats shocking advice. You just have to hope they learn from this and retrofit the other towers properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:25 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Quote:

Not sure on the age of the block. All speculation, but sounds like the fire/smoke didn't take hold and engulf the building instantly. Assuming you actually woke up with no building wide fire alarm. There would possibly have been the opportunity for some on upper floors to escape if they left immediately. Assuming again there are multiple stairwells ect

Woman on BBC saying she saw some parents throwing their children out of upper storey windows hoping that at least they would survive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 am 

Just said 50 dead (so far) on the Beeb. Horrific pictures of the flames, how can this sort of thing happen in 2017?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 am 

Kiwias wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Quote:

Woman on BBC saying she saw some parents throwing their children out of upper storey windows hoping that at least they would survive.

So sad :( Reminded me of 9/11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:27 am 

dynamo_kev wrote:
Just said 50 dead (so far) on the Beeb. Horrific pictures of the flames, how can this sort of thing happen in 2017?

There'll be a huge enquiry on this to determine exactly that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:29 am 

Kiwias wrote:

God, that's beyond grim.

This will rightly be a huge shitstorm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 am 

Just checked in with my fire brigade buddy, described it as 'utter carnage'.

People were jumping off the 10th floor. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:33 am 

Just can't understand how this is even possible in this day and age. The Building Regs and umpteen EU regs on materials used in construction means that shit just shouldn't burn up like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:34 am 

Quote:
Paul Munakr, who lives on the seventh floor, managed to escape.
"As I was going down the stairs, there were firefighters, truly amazing firefighters that were actually going upstairs, to the fire, trying to get as many people out the building as possible," he told the BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Wow!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 am 

dynamo_kev wrote:

What has 2017 got to do with it? This was built in 1974.

There are hundreds of thousands of buildings across the world that would have the similar fire risks as this one. It will be interesting to see what they say was the cause for it going up so quickly though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:36 am 

Guy on the BBC saying he got out from the 16th floor with a fire officer grabbing him and showing him where the stairwell was. Makes it likely more people got out; also makes it likely there might have been quite a few fire officers in upper floors when it eventually went whoosh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:38 am 

danny_fitz wrote:

'Kin hell. Has he / she got any sense of whether they got most out, few out, middling?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:39 am 

pieman99 wrote:

unlawful and dangerous act manslaughter if they decide to prosecute an individual- which I doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:40 am 

Crash_12 wrote:
We have the technology to prevent anything like this, it shouldn't even be a possibility in this day and age.

'Stay in your flat' :uhoh:

They gave similar advice to the those trapped inside the twin towers when the fire was still very much in its infancy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 am 

danny_fitz wrote:

My mate is currently out looking for a missing primary school age kid hopefully just lost in the confusion. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:45 am 

pieman99 wrote:

FWIW, with what is apparently left of the building, I'd thing it was damned early to be able to work that out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:46 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Just can't understand how this is even possible in this day and age. The Building Regs and umpteen EU regs on materials used in construction means that shit just shouldn't burn up like that.

It's incredibly unusual isn't it.

Either the building seems to have somehow been massively faulty or the fire started in a very unusual way.

I think if a fire starts in a flat the flat should contain if for up to an hour. The vast majority of fires in flats don't actually go further than the flat of origin so for the whole building to go up is unthinkable.

Really odd - very sad also obviously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1825 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 46  Next