Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Pick the score
Poll ended at Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:27 am
Wobs by 15 or more 26%  26%  [ 10 ]
Wobs by 8 to 14 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Wobs by 1 to 7 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Draw 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Jocks by 1 to 7 36%  36%  [ 14 ]
Jocks by 8 to 14 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Jocks by 15 or more 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 pm 

Farva wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Farva,

I admire your optimism. We are standing still, or going backwards, as a team. Others are improving.

The outlook is bearish, I have to admit.

The pro game is not doing well.
Having said that we are 4th or maybe 5th best team in the world. Which teams push ahead of us to make that not true?
I want us to be 1st or 2nd.

France, for one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:31 pm 

Yeah.
Nah

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:57 am 

grievous wrote:
Olo wrote:
Farva wrote:
Reckon we cpuld build a pack around Coleman, Arnold and Hooper. Dempsey will get there at 6 and Hardwick will be another long term option. Up forward TPN is back with his yips to the lineout but is yuge in the scrum. He is a better option than Moore. And Latu is fine. Other than Kepu who is world class our props are young and by 2019 will be right. We just need to find an 8.
In the backs Foley is vital. Genia shouldnt be starting. We should have seen what Powell and Gordon could do, and maybe given Conroy a ahot.
Our back three are fine, but Id love to see what Koribiete can do. And we need to tell the guys to hold on to the ball, nostipid chip kicks.

I reckon it will be Pocock at 8 next year and in 2019. So we need a decent back-up and a couple of good lineout jumping 6s

Pocock at 8? Again? Why?

What else have you got?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:01 am 

OK, which one of you guys is this?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/walla ... ae57b803b7

Hope they do actually give him his 15 minutes in front of the team, sounds like he could make good use of his time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 am 

Turbogoat wrote:

Hope they do actually give him his 15 minutes in front of the team, sounds like he could make good use of his time.

That dude is a total f**king goose. Awful take.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:15 am 

Turbogoat wrote:

Yeah, nah.

I do like his points around inability to perform basic skills. the rest is a load of tosh.

He is a wannabee pundit. (Has a degree in journalism). This is basically his futile attempt to get a"name" for himself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 am 

Dumbledore wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Pashun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:46 am 

Turbogoat wrote:

He's right especoally with Genia and Foley. Genia couldn't be fvcked in the first half and in the second half he was just too slow. He would get to a ruck and just stand there giving the Scots time to reset the defense. Foley just cannot resist the temptation to run himself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:49 am 

It's okay, fellas. I've just submitted an article to The Roar.

I'll be in the sheds on Saturday. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:51 am 

It it's unedited glory...
Quote:
Like many other Wallaby supporters, I did a fair bit of swearing at the television on Saturday afternoon. This isn’t an uncommon occurrence when I watch the men in gold play. In fact, you can probably say that after the last couple of years my swearing has developed into a finely crafted prose. My inventive yammerings aside, I was banished to the room with the spare TV on Saturday afternoon so I could swear and have my aneurysm in peace. That way my kids didn’t have to hear me yowl in protest at yet another poorly execute Genia kick.

The Wallabies performance against Scotland on the weekend has resulted in a fair bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media. For once, I didn’t join in. I wouldn’t say I was distraught. I certainly wasn’t angry. I was just disappointed. But in a way, I also knew this was going to happen. Watching the Wallabies play a great game occurs so rarely these days but I start each game with stirring optimism and a heart full of hope. More often than not, I’m surly and, probably, drunk by the end. What has become apparent is how the Wallabies, and Australian Super Rugby teams, fall apart throughout a game. As a Queensland Reds supporter, this feeling of morbid acceptance is my default setting but I’m not used to seeing my national team play like a bunch of blokes who just met in the changing room.

“G’day mate. Welcome to the team. This is Bernard. He passes the ball. Sometimes he’ll pass it to where you’re running. Do you know how to do a chip kick?”

I’ve noticed a distinct gulf in the skills department in both Australian Super Rugby teams and our national team. It’s a complete lack of the basics. Prove me wrong. Watch a replay from the weekend or from a Super Rugby game a few weeks ago. I’m not talking about a lack of insane offloading skills or fancy footwork, I’m talking about the ability to catch and pass to a man running at pace. As in a ball being passed from one player to the next that doesn’t result in the receiving player catching it behind him or slowing down to take it or dropping the ball stone cold.

Now I’m hesitant to mention the All Blacks here because I do know there are a legion of All Black fans who, if given the chance, would delight in reminding you about the difference in the skill set between players from the two countries. But I watched the All Blacks play Samoa on Saturday night and, although the game was essentially a training run against a bunch of blue tackle bags, the skills of the players from 1 through to 23 are sublime. And these skills were also on display in the U20’s final where the kiwi team literally eviscerated the English. I saw the same basic skills. Nothing fancy. Just passing from man to man, running at pace. Why are Australian teams so bad at this lately? The Wallabies started to lift late in the game on Saturday afternoon. When Tevita Kurindrani attempted to pass the ball to Reece Hodge running at full speed with a gap looming on the wing, I had a glimmer of hope he’d put Hodgey through that gap.

Nope.

The ball went forward and rolled across the sidelines. Hodge did attempt to dive for the ball but only succeeded in driving his face into the dirt as the Scottish fans hooted in delight. I held onto my scream but I felt something pop deep inside my noggin. This wasn’t the only time something farcical happened during that game. Twice the ball came down from a lineout and, instead of neatly plopping into the waiting hands of Genia, the ball doinged off the head of a forward and bounced towards the Scots. Then we had that intercept try and a charge down of a Will Genia kick (cue internal scream) which also resulted in a try to the Scots. Don’t get me started on our reliance on a small kick behind the line as our go-to attacking option. In the first half we were hot on attack about ten metres out and all Dane Haylett-Petty had to do was pass the ball through the hands and we would have scored a try or gone close. Did he do this? No. He grubbered a kick in and we all watched the ball roll dead. Why did Dane do this? Was he so unsure of his teammate’s ability to catch a ball and, heaven forbid, draw a man and pass the ball that he decided the only way forward was to go for the high-risk option. That’s what it felt like to me.

With 20 minutes to go, I was resigned to the fact that we were going to lose the match. Australian teams have not only lost the ability to win a game at the death, they’ve lost the ability to even stay in the contest.

Do I have an answer for this? In short, no. I’m involved in junior rugby (screaming from the sidelines is involvement, don’t judge me) and I see kids practicing passing and catching all night long at training. Do professional players stop doing the basics once they make a Super Rugby squad? Is this a coaching issue? It seems the Reds, Waratahs and Brumbies all seemed to have developed this malaise. The Reds are coached by a man whose only coaching skill seems to be “giving the boys a bloody good revving up in the sheds at half time” and the Brumbies are coached by possibly Australia’s most exciting player in the last 25 years who seems to have forgotten how to play the game. A kiwi bloke coaches the Waratahs but it’s apparent he’s had that knowledge of rugby basics drilled out of him during his time at the club. Going on his lack of emotion as the Waratahs let yet another opposition player waltz through to score, possibly by some sort of electro-therapy that has numbed his facial muscles.

Michael Cheika is the coach of the Wallabies but I’m starting to think he’s more of a motivator than an actual coach. If I took a deep drink of my beer every time the camera pans to the coaches box and shows Cheika mouthing “Oh, get f#&ked!” during a game, I’d be onto my third liver by this stage. We’re not privy to the instructions a coach gives his players but I sure as hell hope it isn’t “I want to see a silly kick for every third pass.” I’d like to give him more credit than that.

This weekend, the Wallabies are playing Italy in Brisbane. Anything less than an absolute clinical drubbing will be a failure in my books. I don’t want a gritty, hard fought win. That will only paper over the cracks and give us all a false sense of security. I want to see my team play well by doing the basics. I also want the backs to be fitted with shock collars that zap them every time they even contemplate a stupid kick. Is that too much to ask?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:56 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Pashun.

Most Wallaby fans are gen-u-ine retards, he's just top of the list.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 am 

Thomas - good piece.

KG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:11 am 

Thomas wrote:
It it's unedited glory...
Quote:
Like many other Wallaby supporters, I did a fair bit of swearing at the television on Saturday afternoon. This isn’t an uncommon occurrence when I watch the men in gold play. In fact, you can probably say that after the last couple of years my swearing has developed into a finely crafted prose. My inventive yammerings aside, I was banished to the room with the spare TV on Saturday afternoon so I could swear and have my aneurysm in peace. That way my kids didn’t have to hear me yowl in protest at yet another poorly execute Genia kick.

The Wallabies performance against Scotland on the weekend has resulted in a fair bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth on social media. For once, I didn’t join in. I wouldn’t say I was distraught. I certainly wasn’t angry. I was just disappointed. But in a way, I also knew this was going to happen. Watching the Wallabies play a great game occurs so rarely these days but I start each game with stirring optimism and a heart full of hope. More often than not, I’m surly and, probably, drunk by the end. What has become apparent is how the Wallabies, and Australian Super Rugby teams, fall apart throughout a game. As a Queensland Reds supporter, this feeling of morbid acceptance is my default setting but I’m not used to seeing my national team play like a bunch of blokes who just met in the changing room.

“G’day mate. Welcome to the team. This is Bernard. He passes the ball. Sometimes he’ll pass it to where you’re running. Do you know how to do a chip kick?”

I’ve noticed a distinct gulf in the skills department in both Australian Super Rugby teams and our national team. It’s a complete lack of the basics. Prove me wrong. Watch a replay from the weekend or from a Super Rugby game a few weeks ago. I’m not talking about a lack of insane offloading skills or fancy footwork, I’m talking about the ability to catch and pass to a man running at pace. As in a ball being passed from one player to the next that doesn’t result in the receiving player catching it behind him or slowing down to take it or dropping the ball stone cold.

Now I’m hesitant to mention the All Blacks here because I do know there are a legion of All Black fans who, if given the chance, would delight in reminding you about the difference in the skill set between players from the two countries. But I watched the All Blacks play Samoa on Saturday night and, although the game was essentially a training run against a bunch of blue tackle bags, the skills of the players from 1 through to 23 are sublime. And these skills were also on display in the U20’s final where the kiwi team literally eviscerated the English. I saw the same basic skills. Nothing fancy. Just passing from man to man, running at pace. Why are Australian teams so bad at this lately? The Wallabies started to lift late in the game on Saturday afternoon. When Tevita Kurindrani attempted to pass the ball to Reece Hodge running at full speed with a gap looming on the wing, I had a glimmer of hope he’d put Hodgey through that gap.

Nope.

The ball went forward and rolled across the sidelines. Hodge did attempt to dive for the ball but only succeeded in driving his face into the dirt as the Scottish fans hooted in delight. I held onto my scream but I felt something pop deep inside my noggin. This wasn’t the only time something farcical happened during that game. Twice the ball came down from a lineout and, instead of neatly plopping into the waiting hands of Genia, the ball doinged off the head of a forward and bounced towards the Scots. Then we had that intercept try and a charge down of a Will Genia kick (cue internal scream) which also resulted in a try to the Scots. Don’t get me started on our reliance on a small kick behind the line as our go-to attacking option. In the first half we were hot on attack about ten metres out and all Dane Haylett-Petty had to do was pass the ball through the hands and we would have scored a try or gone close. Did he do this? No. He grubbered a kick in and we all watched the ball roll dead. Why did Dane do this? Was he so unsure of his teammate’s ability to catch a ball and, heaven forbid, draw a man and pass the ball that he decided the only way forward was to go for the high-risk option. That’s what it felt like to me.

With 20 minutes to go, I was resigned to the fact that we were going to lose the match. Australian teams have not only lost the ability to win a game at the death, they’ve lost the ability to even stay in the contest.

Do I have an answer for this? In short, no. I’m involved in junior rugby (screaming from the sidelines is involvement, don’t judge me) and I see kids practicing passing and catching all night long at training. Do professional players stop doing the basics once they make a Super Rugby squad? Is this a coaching issue? It seems the Reds, Waratahs and Brumbies all seemed to have developed this malaise. The Reds are coached by a man whose only coaching skill seems to be “giving the boys a bloody good revving up in the sheds at half time” and the Brumbies are coached by possibly Australia’s most exciting player in the last 25 years who seems to have forgotten how to play the game. A kiwi bloke coaches the Waratahs but it’s apparent he’s had that knowledge of rugby basics drilled out of him during his time at the club. Going on his lack of emotion as the Waratahs let yet another opposition player waltz through to score, possibly by some sort of electro-therapy that has numbed his facial muscles.

Michael Cheika is the coach of the Wallabies but I’m starting to think he’s more of a motivator than an actual coach. If I took a deep drink of my beer every time the camera pans to the coaches box and shows Cheika mouthing “Oh, get f#&ked!” during a game, I’d be onto my third liver by this stage. We’re not privy to the instructions a coach gives his players but I sure as hell hope it isn’t “I want to see a silly kick for every third pass.” I’d like to give him more credit than that.

This weekend, the Wallabies are playing Italy in Brisbane. Anything less than an absolute clinical drubbing will be a failure in my books. I don’t want a gritty, hard fought win. That will only paper over the cracks and give us all a false sense of security. I want to see my team play well by doing the basics. I also want the backs to be fitted with shock collars that zap them every time they even contemplate a stupid kick. Is that too much to ask?

All of this. Preface it with some self-flagellation and hysterics about PASHUN and enjoy your 5000 likes :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:13 am 

I do this for the love of the game and my team, not likes on Facebook, buddy.

:smug:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 am 

FUKN SPOT ON READ MAD DOG. ONYA COBBER :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 am 

Wallabies games are best enjoyed in fast-forward, with yakety sax replacing the audio. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:40 am 

Charlie Chaplin to play Will Genia in the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am 

Olo wrote:
grievous wrote:
Olo wrote:
Farva wrote:
Reckon we cpuld build a pack around Coleman, Arnold and Hooper. Dempsey will get there at 6 and Hardwick will be another long term option. Up forward TPN is back with his yips to the lineout but is yuge in the scrum. He is a better option than Moore. And Latu is fine. Other than Kepu who is world class our props are young and by 2019 will be right. We just need to find an 8.
In the backs Foley is vital. Genia shouldnt be starting. We should have seen what Powell and Gordon could do, and maybe given Conroy a ahot.
Our back three are fine, but Id love to see what Koribiete can do. And we need to tell the guys to hold on to the ball, nostipid chip kicks.

I reckon it will be Pocock at 8 next year and in 2019. So we need a decent back-up and a couple of good lineout jumping 6s

Pocock at 8? Again? Why?

What else have you got?

Well we currently have a line out of like to keep that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:10 am 

Hardwick is a midget. We've got too many of those now, frankly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:

It got facebooked to Oz manager! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm 

I actually know this guy...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:59 pm 

Hong Kong wrote:
I actually know this guy...

Friend or foe?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm 

That was a good read Thomas.

It also read like the last 17 years of being a Scotland supporter. Deal with it. :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:12 pm 

slick wrote:

It also read like the last 17 years of being a Scotland supporter. Deal with it. :P

It really does. Could have written most of it myself. Particularly the 'banished to other parts of the house for swearing/shouting at the TV' part.

The fact is, though, that many of the Scotland players who appeared completely unable to execute basic skills a few years ago are still in or around the team. The difference is that now they have some confidence in themselves and the game plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:

It really does. Could have written most of it myself. Particularly the 'banished to other parts of the house for swearing/shouting at the TV' part.

The fact is, though, that many of the Scotland players who appeared completely unable to execute basic skills a few years ago are still in or around the team. The difference is that now they have some confidence in themselves and the game plan.

That should cheer them up :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:51 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:

Presume this was meant ironically? I'm quite serious though. Not that long ago I kept being mystified by the fact that players who were perfectly capable of performing basic skills for their clubs every week suddenly looked as if they'd never played before on pulling on a Scotland shirt. Some of the players have changed since, but some haven't, and now the passes seem to stick and the moves come off. I assume it's all down to confidence - not trying too hard, and less afraid of failure. That's my low-rent sports psychology pseudo-opinion anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:06 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:

Presume this was meant ironically? I'm quite serious though. Not that long ago I kept being mystified by the fact that players who were perfectly capable of performing basic skills for their clubs every week suddenly looked as if they'd never played before on pulling on a Scotland shirt. Some of the players have changed since, but some haven't, and now the passes seem to stick and the moves come off. I assume it's all down to confidence - not trying too hard, and less afraid of failure. That's my low-rent sports psychology pseudo-opinion anyway.

That and the fact we've got two genuine match winners in Hogg & Russell.

Big test this weekend without them but I'm confident our pack will do the business.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:47 am 

spanks wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
slick wrote:

That and the fact we've got two genuine match winners in Hogg & Russell.

Big test this weekend without them but I'm confident our pack will do the business.

To state the obvious, the last result was achieved without one of them (and with someone in his position who is maybe 4th choice there).

Russell is a big loss, but I do wonder if Toony might have kept him on the bench v Fiji.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 am 

It's a fair point. Whilst I'm sure Tonks will play against Fiji, it would surprise me if he ever saw another Scotland squad again. The likes of Kinghorn will jump above him in the pecking order next season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:57 am 

zt1903 wrote:
It's a fair point. Whilst I'm sure Tonks will play against Fiji, it would surprise me if he ever saw another Scotland squad again. The likes of Kinghorn will jump above him in the pecking order next season.

I'm sure you're right, but I do worry about Kinghorn at times. He can look fantastic going forward (certainly stood out in that respect in some of the U20 games recently), but can also look dodgy in defence at times. TBF to Tonks, he didn't too too much wrong on Saturday (the try aside), and I think his defensive positioning was better than Taylor's at full back, but I still think I'd rather have Jackson as back-up to Hogg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:05 pm 

chart_monkey wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

I'm sure you're right, but I do worry about Kinghorn at times. He can look fantastic going forward (certainly stood out in that respect in some of the U20 games recently), but can also look dodgy in defence at times. TBF to Tonks, he didn't too too much wrong on Saturday (the try aside), and I think his defensive positioning was better than Taylor's at full back, but I still think I'd rather have Jackson as back-up to Hogg.

Kinghorn has had one season of senior Rugby and was rather jerked around for much of it, he's still only 20 and he'll get better. Give it another 12 months and he'll be knocking on the door for international selection.

Tonks did look much better than Taylor because he's a solid club pro full back whilst Taylor is a top notch Centre.

Not sure about Jackson at full back, he's OK there but I still think he's our second best stand-off. Although he can be flaky he is much better there than Horne and should fit Toony's style pretty well. I'll really be scratching my head if he doesn't get a run out at 10 against Fiji.

For me current pecking order at Full Back is:
- Hogg
- Maitland
- Seymour
- Tonks
- Jackson
- Kinghorn

I expect (hope) Kinghorn to move up to #3 or 4 a year from now and #2 a year beyond that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 pm 

Kinghorn based on his U20s appearance still has a way to go yet. Hopefully he'll go on to have a cracker of a season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:55 pm 

David990 wrote:
Kinghorn based on his U20s appearance still has a way to go yet. Hopefully he'll go on to have a cracker of a season.

I worry about the hype around Kinghorn, especially on the Edinburgh forum. He has some great strengths, but also some big weaknesses, and he is showing the same defensive weaknesses now he did last year, which is more worrying than a youngster having weaknesses.

Still plenty of time but he does need to start sorting his weaknesses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16