Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Pick the score
Poll ended at Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:27 am
Wobs by 15 or more 26%  26%  [ 10 ]
Wobs by 8 to 14 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Wobs by 1 to 7 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Draw 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Jocks by 1 to 7 36%  36%  [ 14 ]
Jocks by 8 to 14 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Jocks by 15 or more 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:53 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Tehui wrote:
This game result.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shouldn't come as a surprise really. The Wobs won by one point at the RWC (thanks to a howler of a ref decision at the death). They won by one point at Murrayfield in the AIs. Anyone expecting them to run away with this game was optimistic (though I did wonder when I saw Tonks at FB)

World's 4th best team beaten by 5th ranked team. Shocker really.

It's amazing how some cannot bring themselves to accept that a team can improve. The same people still look down their noses at Argentina

I don't think it's that, Scotland were plucky today and got a great win by taking their opportunities but the Wallabies, as bad as they were, were the strongest team on the field. For mine, by a good 20 points. They bottled it time after time. Scotland were off their feet heading into the last 20 and still found a massive numeric advantage down the right to get the try that swung it for them. After that it was all Wobs, and they just had to be patient. Even take a penalty from in front.

You can talk up Scotland's ranking all you want and their improvement has been impressive, but I'd still expect the ABs to put 50 odd past them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:42 pm 

Toro wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Tehui wrote:
This game result.

Shouldn't come as a surprise really. The Wobs won by one point at the RWC (thanks to a howler of a ref decision at the death). They won by one point at Murrayfield in the AIs. Anyone expecting them to run away with this game was optimistic (though I did wonder when I saw Tonks at FB)

It's amazing how some cannot bring themselves to accept that a team can improve. The same people still look down their noses at Argentina

I don't think it's that, Scotland were plucky today and got a great win by taking their opportunities but the Wallabies, as bad as they were, were the strongest team on the field. For mine, by a good 20 points. They bottled it time after time. Scotland were off their feet heading into the last 20 and still found a massive numeric advantage down the right to get the try that swung it for them. After that it was all Wobs, and they just had to be patient. Even take a penalty from in front.

You can talk up Scotland's ranking all you want and their improvement has been impressive, but I'd still expect the ABs to put 50 odd past them.

It took 14 whole pages before the ABs were introduced to this match thread not involving them. Thats commendable :thumbup:
I agree. The Scots played to their full potential and Wallabies were woeful in their execution. Being able to execute is a massive part of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:13 pm 

Olo wrote:

It took 14 whole pages before the ABs were introduced to this match thread not involving them. Thats commendable :thumbup:
I agree. The Scots played to their full potential and Wallabies were woeful in their execution. Being able to execute is a massive part of the game.

Yeah sure, that was our full potential :lol:

If we'd been at full strength and/or played with the accuracy we've shown last week or in other games this year then we'd have been out of sight by half time on the possession and territory we had.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:21 pm 

The wallabies passing of the ball looked bad all game

Slow from the set piece and loopy and soft in open p!ay

Really put pressure on the backline time and again

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:25 pm 

Some of the posts on here :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:28 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Olo wrote:

If we'd been at full strength and/or played with the accuracy we've shown last week or in other games this year then we'd have been out of sight by half time on the possession and territory we had.

I think you will find that the Wallabies had the majority of possession and territory in both halves. You were missing a few as were we. Scotland played very well. The defense was excellent as was their ability to take advantage of their opportunities. Thats all.
Wipe that big chip off your shoulder fella and enjoy the win.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:33 pm 

Olo wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Olo wrote:

I think you will find that the Wallabies had the majority of possession and territory in both halves. You were missing a few as were we. Scotland played very well. The defense was excellent as was their ability to take advantage of their opportunities. Thats all.
Wipe that big chip off your shoulder fella and enjoy the win.

Scotland looked good

Really moved the ball well

Notable difference in the zip in their passing compared to Australia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 pm 

The Optimist wrote:
Just dumb rugby from the Wobbs. So sad to see that they cannot play intelligent rugby. No composure, panicked silly kicking, low percentage passes. No mongrel. Never threatened any rucks. Poor skills, when they needed to put the ball thru the hands, execute set pieces, they bungled.

Worst of all they had no heart, no pride in the jersey. No passion.

This was one of the worst performances since the last time we lost to the Scots. We've come to expect the Scots to be competitive. This is wrong! The Scots are cellar dwellers, 6 nations wooden spooners. The Scots are second tier fodder. Yet they beat us with a second string team, showed more passion, better defence, composure and intelligence.

The Wallabies should hold their heads in shame. The coaching side are no better. Unfortunately we have descended so far into the toilet of international rugby that we have come to accept losing to the Scots! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Pretty much wrong on every point there. We won 3 from 5 in the 6N. One of the losses was very close (Paris), though admittedly we had a nightmare at Twickenham. We're also in 5th place in the world rankings, on merit, with an eye on 4th place. As I've observed here already, we lost our last two games v Australia by a single point, and one of those was thanks to the ref. Also, thanks to our hardly having any players picked for the Lions, the only part of the team that was second-string was the back three.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:34 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:

This. Embarrassing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

This. Embarrassing

???

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:14 pm 

argus wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

This. Embarrassing

???

Scotland having the temerity to be a decent side once again, choking a few up on this thread, not all but a few

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:17 pm 

I left home at sparrow o'clock for the local agricultural show so did not see the game. We won best mare, best youngstock and overall best inhand, thanks for asking.

I am now off to watch the game. Today is a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:23 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
argus wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

This. Embarrassing

???

Scotland having the temerity to be a decent side once again, choking a few up on this thread, not all but a few

Makes the win better then

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
The Optimist wrote:
Just dumb rugby from the Wobbs. So sad to see that they cannot play intelligent rugby. No composure, panicked silly kicking, low percentage passes. No mongrel. Never threatened any rucks. Poor skills, when they needed to put the ball thru the hands, execute set pieces, they bungled.

This was one of the worst performances since the last time we lost to the Scots. We've come to expect the Scots to be competitive. This is wrong! The Scots are cellar dwellers, 6 nations wooden spooners. The Scots are second tier fodder. Yet they beat us with a second string team, showed more passion, better defence, composure and intelligence.

The Wallabies should hold their heads in shame. The coaching side are no better. Unfortunately we have descended so far into the toilet of international rugby that we have come to accept losing to the Scots! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Pretty much wrong on every point there. We won 3 from 5 in the 6N. One of the losses was very close (Paris), though admittedly we had a nightmare at Twickenham. We're also in 5th place in the world rankings, on merit, with an eye on 4th place. As I've observed here already, we lost our last two games v Australia by a single point, and one of those was thanks to the ref. Also, thanks to our hardly having any players picked for the Lions, the only part of the team that was second-string was the back three.

Doc, whilst not a second string it was far from our strongest team. Missing Dickinson, R Gray, Gilchrist, Hardie, Denton, Laidlaw, Jones, Bennett, Seymour, Maitland, Visser and Hogg to name but 12 the majority of whom would have featured in a first choice 23.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:40 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
The Optimist wrote:

Doc, whilst not a second string it was far from our strongest team. Missing Dickinson, R Gray, Gilchrist, Hardie, Denton, Laidlaw, Jones, Bennett, Seymour, Maitland, Visser and Hogg to name but 12 the majority of whom would have featured in a first choice 23.

Gilchrist!?!?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:44 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
The Optimist wrote:

Gilchrist!?!?

Yeah. Edinburgh Lock, unlucky with injuries, bit of a fanny. Ring a bell?

Started our last 6 nations match.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:03 pm 

Under a coach who seemed to have a blind spot regarding him. Afaik he's not injured either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:08 pm 

Toro wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Tehui wrote:
This game result.

England would possibly have a chance of doing the same.

Last edited by nicebutdim on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:10 pm 

hp18 wrote:
Under a coach who seemed to have a blind spot regarding him. Afaik he's not injured either.

I just assumed he was crocked again.

I'd rate him behind the Grays and Toolis but ahead of Swinson. Surprised he's not touring if fit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:14 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
hp18 wrote:

I'd rate him behind the Grays and Toolis but ahead of Swinson. Surprised he's not touring if fit.

All fit would take Swinson over Gilchrist for bench, especially as he allows a bit more flexibility if Barclay, Watson and Hardie are to be in same 23.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:14 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
hp18 wrote:

I wouldn't, he ain't in our first 23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:30 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
argus wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

This. Embarrassing

???

Which posters in particular, Lorts?

I'd say the Aussies have been congratulatory to your team.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:57 pm 

zt1903 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
The Optimist wrote:

I agree with the sentiment, but of your list I think only R Gray, Jones, Seymour, Maitland and Hogg would 100% start for our strongest team. 3 of those play in the back 3.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:03 pm 

Not Dickinson?!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:03 pm 

kiap wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
argus wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

This. Embarrassing

???

Which posters in particular, Lorts?

I'd say the Aussies have been congratulatory to your team.

Wasn't particularly a dig at aussies but "the optimist" is clearly hurting. It is just the digs that you guys should be embarrassed to lose to us.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 pm 

The biggest problem for the Wallabies is that some players think they're better than they really are. Take your pick Kurindrani, Foley, Higgers, Genia, Arnold, DHP to name a few. Because they don't worry too much about the basics and the team things. How many times have we lost the ball because of Kurindrani isolating himself or just pushed a pass? Genia just couldn't be fvcked in the first half and still refuses to get the ball out quickly from the rucks.
Foley is the best 10 in Oz but that guy has the worst "white line fever" I've seen in a longtime. If he sees an half gap he will take it regardless of any opportunities out wide. Quade showed in glimpses what good passing can do.
We were playing Gatlandball without strong ball carriers.

Last edited by CrazyIslander on Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:28 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
It is just the digs that you guys should be embarrassed to lose to us.

Kiwi posters, mate. Little bro syndrome. :)

While their top order has some quality it's followed by a long and twitchy tail.

In this case, Scots are incidental to their hair-trigger shots.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:30 pm 

frillage wrote:
Not Dickinson?!

He's been out of the side for a while and he isn't getting any younger, but point taken.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:52 am 

We deserved to lose. Not so much because of any particularly enterprising play by Scotland but because of our own ineptness. We lost to an intercept and a charge down FFS as a result of this ineptness.

Scotland were industrious....a menace at the breakdown (and very effective at slowing the game down....every stoppage saw at least 2 scottish medicos rush onto the field dealing with "injuries" - there were 4 at one point with 5 minutes to go - even Wayne Barnes had to do some stretching whilst we waited - it was ridiculous)

At any rate we were own worst enemies.Too slow. Too error prone. Not enough passion. Several players in the team are just not good enough for this level. I gave hooper an 8, folau a 6 and the rest 4 or less.

At the end of the day....the more deserving team won. So congrats to the Scots.

I can only hope that cheika and the coaches have a "light bulb" moment now about several players futures in this team.

Anyway Next week this
Robertson
Latu
Kepu
Arnold
Coleman
Dempsey
Hooper
Timanj
Gordon
Cooper
Koroibete
Hunt (is Beale ready?)
Naivalu
DHP
Fulool

TPN
Sio
Allalatoa
Tui
Hardwick
Conroy
Foley
Stevenson

Last edited by L. Ron Hubbard on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 am 

I see the usual suspects are going down the 'intercepts and charge downs are just lucky tries route' they used in the World Cup only this time they didn't have a dodgy ref to save them. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:08 am 

HKCJ wrote:
I see the usual suspects are going down the 'intercepts and charge downs are just lucky tries route' they used in the World Cup only this time they didn't have a dodgy ref to save them. :lol:

Yeah that assessment certainly overlooks how poorly the Wobs played and how Scottish pressure lead to those opportunities.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 am 

HKCJ wrote:

:roll:

The winning try was a cracker.

Wish we could have done something similar at some point

At any rate it wasnt luck....it was ineptness. Shit pass by genia...and shit kick by guess who...Genia

Good to see the RWC result is still bitter for you :P

Last edited by L. Ron Hubbard on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:24 am 

I'm sorry Cheika...

Hanigan is a really handsome bloke... and sure... he looks really great out there running around in his blonde locks having a try, but he has the physicality and effectiveness of a wet newspaper...

It's time:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:38 am 

I understood that Fardy was being given an early release and that he will not be available for the RC. That's the word.
Fardy is good at the breakdown but he also gives away a ton of penalties. We will certainly not see him next week.
Hanigan and Higgers are too similar. One has to go for Timani. Take your pick.

Fardy is certainly not the savior. We need a couple of these young blokes to come through but maybe Cheika has not chosen the correct ones?
We missed McMahon for the last two weeks. How bad is his injury and will we see him fit for the RC?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:53 am 

Yeah...we need to move on from Fardy.

I would get Dempsey in at 6 next week with Timani at 8.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:03 am 

L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
Yeah...we need to move on from Fardy.

I would get Dempsey in at 6 next week with Timani at 8.

I'm sure Dempsey looks nice overlooking the harbour, posing with a Sportscraft tweed blazer and cuffed chinos... but this backrow needs some proper plum mongrel.

Obviously we need to look to the future, but we should still be fielding the best players available to us for the big tests.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:08 am 

just saw this result. Deary me. You would expect a Scotland B team to be beaten by the wobbs at home.

but then again, Scotland beat them a couple of years ago I seem to remember.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:09 am 

Auckman wrote:
just saw this result. Deary me. You would expect a Scotland B team to be beaten by the wobbs at home.

but then again, Scotland beat them a couple of years ago I seem to remember.

They were missing a couple of players, but I think it would be unfair to label them a B team...

And the Scots have come a long way the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:13 am 

And we have gone backwards at a rate of knots.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:16 am 

This test for me was simply a reminder that Scotland is a good rugby side.

And that the Wallabies have A LOT of work to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next