Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11684
Thomas wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I watched the Wallabies play a provincial team when I lived in NZ but my first international was the Wallabies vs Lions at Ballymore. The match with "that pass" from Campo. The massive fight started by the Lions happened right in front of me.


I didn't know you had a NZ history. Where in NZ did you live?


I did Form 2 and 3 in Whanganui.


What job brought your ma/pa here?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20102
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
14th August, 1971


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18542
Enzedder wrote:
14th August, 1971


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Brit ... ew_Zealand

14-14 draw in the 4th test at Eden Park.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1270
Grape wrote:
August 1956 while at university in Wellington. All Blacks v SA.

SA won 8-3. NZ won the other 3 tests

Hell, you must be even older than me.
My first was NZ v France 1961.
A piss trip up from Kawerau as a nineteen year old.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20102
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
You got it - shit, I was gutted. Thankfully the place wasn't full of red shirts so we could commiserate each other without the singing


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20102
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Grape wrote:
August 1956 while at university in Wellington. All Blacks v SA.

SA won 8-3. NZ won the other 3 tests


Hell, you must be older than Fangle and OB.. (combined).

that must have been one hell of a tour. More pressure than the 2011 ABs I reckon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10681
1998. Australia v South Africa. Living in Perth at the time. It was the first ever test match in Perth. Every rugby-starved kiwi in Perth seemed to be there that night. All the saffas in the city were also there making a hell of a racket.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 pm
Posts: 1106
1975 All Blacks v Scotland in the rain at EP. My favourite player BG scored a double

https://allblacksopenforum.wordpress.co ... polo-test/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3167
Location: Fine & Dandy
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Pumas vs a "NZ IV" , Athletic Park 1980


I thought the Pumas were quite good back then. NZ should probably have put out a full 15. Sickening arrogance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27944
Location: The garden county
Ireland versus Italy 6N 2001.
I was 13. Friend's dad had free tickets. Start of the golden generation...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11684
Nolanator wrote:
Ireland versus Italy 6N 2001.
I was 13. Friend's dad had free tickets. Start of the golden generation...


And a shitload more Irish bandwagoners, no doubt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5157
I think my first test match was All Blacks v Scotland in 1987 at Lancaster Park - great match between one of the best All Black teams of all time and probably the greatest Scotland team of all time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8695
Location: Sinkers
Shrekles wrote:
I think my first test match was All Blacks v Scotland in 1987 at Lancaster Park - great match between one of the best All Black teams of all time and probably the greatest Scotland team of all time.


Nah the 91 side that only just lost in NZ was a slightly better team I think. Rutherford and Deans were class but the 91 back row was better and Armstrong was better than Laidlaw


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1579
First international game:

Bay Of Plenty v the Lions, Tauranga Domain 1971.

First test:

The flour bomb test, Eden Park 1981.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33259
Location: Tropical North QLD
Not the first test I attended (I have pictures of me attending tests at Lancaster Park as a baby) but the first test I distinctly remember was on a family holiday to Samoa, Wales vs Samoa at Apia park back in 1986. I was seven. I remember feeling sorry for the Welsh because everyone else was going for Samoa. Michael Jones played openside flanker in that game for Samoa.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17337
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
1992 All Blacks vs World XV. Athletic Park.

All Blacks won handsomley but Yoshida scored the try of the match.


Vague memory...towering bomb and he dives catches it and scores?


Under the bar.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QayM2nN7h8Q


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14815
swc wrote:
1975 All Blacks v Scotland in the rain at EP. My favourite player BG scored a double

https://allblacksopenforum.wordpress.co ... polo-test/

Ah, the wonderful "water polo" test. BG was sublime, and it was the great Bill Osborne's debut. Good times. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17337
Olddantucker wrote:
First international game:

Bay Of Plenty v the Lions, Tauranga Domain 1971.

First test:

The flour bomb test, Eden Park 1981.


Booooooooo!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 am
Posts: 115
first test was in 1987
world cup
lancaster park
france v scotland


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 pm
Posts: 1106
SecretAgentMan wrote:
swc wrote:
1975 All Blacks v Scotland in the rain at EP. My favourite player BG scored a double

https://allblacksopenforum.wordpress.co ... polo-test/

Ah, the wonderful "water polo" test. BG was sublime, and it was the great Bill Osborne's debut. Good times. :thumbup:


My second favourite player Andy Irvine was playing for Scotland....didn't have a good day under the high ball unfortunately


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14815
swc wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
swc wrote:
1975 All Blacks v Scotland in the rain at EP. My favourite player BG scored a double

https://allblacksopenforum.wordpress.co ... polo-test/

Ah, the wonderful "water polo" test. BG was sublime, and it was the great Bill Osborne's debut. Good times. :thumbup:


My second favourite player Andy Irvine was playing for Scotland....didn't have a good day under the high ball unfortunately

Yeah, I really rated Irvine as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5157
HKCJ wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
I think my first test match was All Blacks v Scotland in 1987 at Lancaster Park - great match between one of the best All Black teams of all time and probably the greatest Scotland team of all time.


Nah the 91 side that only just lost in NZ was a slightly better team I think. Rutherford and Deans were class but the 91 back row was better and Armstrong was better than Laidlaw


That 87 back row was Finlay Calder, John Jeffrey and Iain Paxton - they were awesome. The front row had Sole, Deans and Milne with White in the 2nd row - surely you have not had a better pack than that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6544
1981, Carisbrook ABs vs. Scotland. Mourie was the man... :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1579
RuggaBugga wrote:
Olddantucker wrote:
First international game:

Bay Of Plenty v the Lions, Tauranga Domain 1971.

First test:

The flour bomb test, Eden Park 1981.


Booooooooo!!!


Well, quite. I was young and stupid. However it was f**king exciting game.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3304
Location: Wellington
RuggaBugga wrote:
1992 All Blacks vs World XV. Athletic Park.

All Blacks won handsomley but Yoshida scored the try of the match.


I played in the curtain raiser for that match. :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7746
Shocking to say but I actually have no idea.

I have seen the following teams live:Eng Sco, Ire Fra, Ita, NZ, Oz, SA, Arg, Fij, Sam, Jap, US, Can, Rom, (Maori), but could not tell you my first intl.

Maybe it's because I am such a Scarlets man first and foremost??????


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28
Lions v All Blacks, Lancaster Park, 1959.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 2367
(Correction: I just saw an earlier poster who attended a game in 1956). 1961 France beat the Wobbs at the Sydney Cricket ground in front of about 7,000 hardy souls. The ground was under water, rain was pelting down, the French flyhalf kicked three dropped goals. 15-6. Michael Cleary's last game before he switched to league, only touched the ball when he threw it into lineouts.


Last edited by wamberal99 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9368
Location: Texas
village of damned wrote:
first test was in 1987
world cup
lancaster park
france v scotland

Who won?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13019
Location: Coalfalls
wamberal99 wrote:
I think I might be the winner, so far. 1961 France beat the Wobbs at the Sydney Cricket ground in front of about 7,000 hardy souls. The ground was under water, rain was pelting down, the French flyhalf kicked three dropped goals. 15-6. Michael Cleary's last game before he switched to league, only touched the ball when he threw it into lineouts.

Which would have a fair chunk of the bored assuming this eminent triple international (and later, MP) played hooker.

Baah. Youngsters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20102
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Olddantucker wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Olddantucker wrote:
First international game:

Bay Of Plenty v the Lions, Tauranga Domain 1971.

First test:

The flour bomb test, Eden Park 1981.


Booooooooo!!!


Well, quite. I was young and stupid. However it was f**king exciting game.


Wasn't it just. Did you get a bit frightened when that bloody plane dipped low?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20102
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
wamberal99 wrote:
I think I might be the winner, so far. 1961 France beat the Wobbs at the Sydney Cricket ground in front of about 7,000 hardy souls. The ground was under water, rain was pelting down, the French flyhalf kicked three dropped goals. 15-6. Michael Cleary's last game before he switched to league, only touched the ball when he threw it into lineouts.



Nope - 1956 and 1959


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13019
Location: Coalfalls
Enzedder wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
I think I might be the winner, so far. 1961 France beat the Wobbs at the Sydney Cricket ground in front of about 7,000 hardy souls. The ground was under water, rain was pelting down, the French flyhalf kicked three dropped goals. 15-6. Michael Cleary's last game before he switched to league, only touched the ball when he threw it into lineouts.



Nope - 1956 and 1959

Let me guess: the year you got your licence and the year you got it back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4618
There's a guy on Cricket Web who saw Bradman play in the 1946/47 series. Was at one of the 1936 tests, but was too young to remember that. http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket ... ost2338519


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5157
Mr Mike wrote:
village of damned wrote:
first test was in 1987
world cup
lancaster park
france v scotland

Who won?


24-24 draw from memory? France won the pool on account of scoring more trys so avoided the All Blacks until the final. John Rutherford's career ended in the first few minutes of this match.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9368
Location: Texas
Shrekles wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
village of damned wrote:
first test was in 1987
world cup
lancaster park
france v scotland

Who won?


24-24 draw from memory?
Hindsight is 20-20.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EhwBaREBrLg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 2367
Enzedder wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
I think I might be the winner, so far. 1961 France beat the Wobbs at the Sydney Cricket ground in front of about 7,000 hardy souls. The ground was under water, rain was pelting down, the French flyhalf kicked three dropped goals. 15-6. Michael Cleary's last game before he switched to league, only touched the ball when he threw it into lineouts.



Nope - 1956 and 1959



Just posted a correction to my original post. I attended my first club game in 1953, though, walked from my parents' house in Eastwood to the Oval, and absolutely loved the game. Eastwood lost. As they usually did in those days.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20102
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
My first memory is going with my dad and 2 or 3 brothers to Hawkes Bay games in Napier in the early 60s.

Some of you old buggers with attendance at the 1956 Boks series make me so bloody jealous.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 556
LandOTurk wrote:
I have seen the following teams live:Eng Sco, Ire Fra, Ita, NZ, Oz, SA, Arg, Fij, Sam, Jap, US, Can, Rom, (Maori), but could not tell you my first international


And yet you've never seen Wales. You must have some air miles under your belt.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5157
Mr Mike wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
village of damned wrote:
first test was in 1987
world cup
lancaster park
france v scotland

Who won?


24-24 draw from memory?
Hindsight is 20-20.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EhwBaREBrLg


Jeez, I wasn't far off - it was over 30 years ago now.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cartman, clementinfrance, earl the beaver, englishchief, Flametop, Google Adsense [Bot], Insane_Homer, Lazy Couch potato, Lobby, maverickmak, Mog The Almighty, Mr. Very Popular, ovalball, rfurlong, RodneyRegis, Rowdy, terangi48, Toulon's Not Toulouse, webbcaster and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group