Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:23 pm 

Throw Gatland away get Eddie Jones in (by force) he's free now, play England sprinkled with a couple of Irish forwards in the pack and North on a wing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:02 pm 

Toro wrote:
Play Joseph and Watson on the wings. :thumbup:

There you go. From a man who undoubtedly knows his game-breaking wingers :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:03 pm 

Dork Lard wrote:
Throw Gatland away get Eddie Jones in (by force) he's free now, play England sprinkled with a couple of Irish forwards in the pack and North on a wing.

North on the wing? He's done jack shit this tour and looks hesitant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:08 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:

That is my take, I keep wondering what I have missed :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:11 pm 

TheBouncer wrote:
harry 22 wrote:
i've a feeling he'll go with itoje at 6 and that POM was given the captaincy yesterday to soften the blow of being dropped next week

I'll chop my balls off if this happens.

That is a very very brave call.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:14 pm 

Halfling
North
Davies
Teo
Watson

Farrell
Murray

Faletau
SOB
POM
Kruis
Itoje
Furlong
George
Mako

Bench

Joseph
Sexton
Webb
Warburton
Henderson
McGrath
Owens
Sinckler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 pm 

I posted that above and have done for 2 weeks. Actually thought the back row would've been Itoje Billy Warbs last March. Now Itoje Fal Warbs/SOB

4/5 AWJ and Kruis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
harry 22 wrote:
i've a feeling he'll go with itoje at 6 and that POM was given the captaincy yesterday to soften the blow of being dropped next week

That's some serious left field thinking there . I'll tip my hat to you if that prediction comes through

Radge was saying the same on the hard yards podcast during the week. Says he got the same treatment with the emerging boks but I think the circumstances differed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:25 pm 

Vunipola
George
Furlong
Kruis
Itoje
SOB
Warburton
Faletau
Murray
Sexton
North
Farrell
Te'o
Watson
Williams

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:37 pm 

harry 22 wrote:

I reckon that is why he got the captaincy, he won't be replaced by Itoje though.

Itoje will play second row with Kruis. AWJ will be on the bench.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:56 pm 

Bobcock wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

I reckon that is why he got the captaincy, he won't be replaced by Itoje though.

That was my first thought as well, just a sop to him before being dropped for a half fit welsh lad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:34 pm 

harry 22 wrote:

As much as I love POM i reckon Itoje at six is the way to go. AWJ needs to be there for his experience and leadership and Kruis can't be dropped. The only way to win will be to beat them up physically and that combination gives the best chance. As does picking Teo which doesn't excite me either but needs must.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:44 pm 

alliswell wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

That's some serious left field thinking there . I'll tip my hat to you if that prediction comes through

Radge was saying the same on the hard yards podcast during the week. Says he got the same treatment with the emerging boks but I think the circumstances differed

Yeah Radge was made captain for a midweek match . POM could well be left out but there's no chance Gatland will start Itoje at 6 for the first test .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:46 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:
alliswell wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

Yeah Radge was made captain for a midweek match . POM could well be left out but there's no chance Gatland will start Itoje at 6 for the first test .

Yeah it will be Sam of course. It's nice to speculate about something different though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:51 pm 

Halfpenny is too slow to play the ABs imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:52 pm 

Anyway SOB is going to make the decision for Gatland easier by pulling his
hamstring while getting into bed or something . The guy was no fudging luck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:53 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:

You just know he's going to play though, don't you. Tbf, we'll need his radar. I'm pretty certain Sexton will be at 10, meaning Halfers can take the kicking pressures off him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:55 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

You just know he's going to play though, don't you. Tbf, we'll need his radar. I'm pretty certain Sexton will be at 10, meaning Halfers can take the kicking pressures off him.

Farrell is a definite starter at 12 imo so no need for Halfpenny. But you're right Gatland eill play him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:57 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Farrell is a definite starter at 12 imo so no need for Halfpenny. But you're right Gatland eill play him.

What you reckon Gatland is going to go Farrell at 12?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:07 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

He's the 12 for a team who have only lost once in 2 yrs and he's gonna play a similar role with Sexton as he's done with Ford. Murray/Sexton/Farrell is a no brainer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:20 pm 

CrazyIslander wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

He's the 12 for a team who have only lost once in 2 yrs and he's gonna play a similar role with Sexton as he's done with Ford. Murray/Sexton/Farrell is a no brainer.

Well, for me and you it is. And probably most on this bored. Gatland, however, has never NOT played a Ben Te'o-like 12, has he?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:30 pm 

Lads, final warning

Can you all stop picking in-form players on merit for your teams?

We all know this means nothing where Gatland is concerned.

Planet Rugby have been told that Warren considers this trolling and we've had legal threats....so no more please

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:33 pm 

Jake wrote:
Lads, final warning

Planet Rugby have been told that Warren considers this trolling and we've had legal threats....so no more please

Thanks.

Sorry Jake, tell Wazza I think he's a plum if that'll help

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:39 pm 

Quote:

Well, for me and you it is. And probably most on this bored. Gatland, however, has never NOT played a Ben Te'o-like 12, has he?

Nope. The No.1 job of a Gatland midfield is defence. He'll pick based on that. Tbf, it's a tactic that has underpinned the better performances the Lions have managed this tour (and Wales over the years).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:40 pm 

Jake wrote:
Lads, final warning

Thanks.

:twisted: The threats may well be legal; they certainly aren't going to be out wide!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:43 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

Nope. The No.1 job of a Gatland midfield is defence. He'll pick based on that. Tbf, it's a tactic that has underpinned the better performances the Lions have managed this tour (and Wales over the years).

Te'o's defence isn't great, to be honest. He's not going to pick Henshaw...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:44 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

The lads on 1014 reckon that the Lions dont actually want the ball.

They want the ABs to have the ball in heir own territory, and be pressured into committing penalties by the Lions' aggressive defence.

Last edited by armchair pundit on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:44 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

Woah- are you, for one moment, suggesting Farrell is not the best defensive 12 on tour?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:45 pm 

terryfinch wrote:
Halfling
North
Davies
Teo
Watson

Farrell
Murray

Faletau
SOB
POM
Kruis
Itoje
Furlong
George
Mako

Bench

Joseph
Sexton
Webb
Warburton
Henderson
McGrath
Owens
Sinckler

Yes, I'll buy all of that, though I think WG might risk disrupting the Sarries partnerships to start with Owens and McGrath, with Mako and George to sub at 50/55, when the Azzuri always tire ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:50 pm 

Jake wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

Woah- are you, for one moment, suggesting Farrell is not the best defensive 12 on tour?

It's more to do with physicality. Winning the contact. Farrell may be a good tackler, but he's only ever going to come off second best in a straight one on one with someone like SBW. Teo and Jiffy Jnr have reasonable expectations of at least holding their own in that contact area.

It's all about owning the gainline.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:54 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it's as much to do with his defence as it is his ability to truck it up. As mentioned Farrell has a huge defensive game and Henshaw is probably the best out there in that respect.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:57 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jake wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

It's more to do with physicality. Winning the contact. Farrell may be a good tackler, but he's only ever going to come off second best in a straight one on one with someone like SBW. Teo and Jiffy Jnr have reasonable expectations of at least holding their own in that contact area.

Farrell's a bigger tackler than Teo I'd say.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:20 pm 

Sexton- Farrell brings the defence and a second playmaker, if Faz is fit Wazza would be mad not to pick them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:30 pm 

armchair pundit wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Jake wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Quote:

Like I said, it's more about physicality in my opinion. If the defensive tactics are working well, it doesn't rely on being good tackler in midfield to make it work, you just need to be a unit. If all is going to plan, then the ball is slowed at the ruck, which means the opposition are getting flat foot ball. The defensive line then rushes up to eat up the space, which means the attacking team have one option only, and that's to take contact.

The only way you subsequently lose in that situation is if the person rushing up in defence gets physically dominated. The best way to make sure that doesn't happen is to make sure you have the biggest players in your midfield. Gatland has only ever picked units in his centre, and although most people think it's for the attacking bosh, I'm convinced it has a lot more to do with being able to execute a Edwards/Farrell style rush defence to the fullest.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:36 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:

...okay fok North, England with Eddie Jones and a couple big Irish lads, and Halfpenny FB bam done easy. Excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:44 pm 

Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Bobcock wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

That was my first thought as well, just a sop to him before being dropped for a half fit welsh lad.

Half wit? Well that's a pretty dumb thing to say...... I think you have made yourself the obvious half wit around here.

Try Growing up and discussing like men before you bother with me again.....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:51 pm 

Bobcock wrote:
Mr. Very Popular wrote:
Bobcock wrote:
harry 22 wrote:

Half wit? Well that's a pretty dumb thing to say...... I think you have made yourself the obvious half wit around here.

Try Growing up and discussing like men before you bother with me again.....

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:53 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Like I said, it's more about physicality in my opinion. If the defensive tactics are working well, it doesn't rely on being good tackler in midfield to make it work, you just need to be a unit. If all is going to plan, then the ball is slowed at the ruck, which means the opposition are getting flat foot ball. The defensive line then rushes up to eat up the space, which means the attacking team have one option only, and that's to take contact.

The only way you subsequently lose in that situation is if the person rushing up in defence gets physically dominated. The best way to make sure that doesn't happen is to make sure you have the biggest players in your midfield. Gatland has only ever picked units in his centre, and although most people think it's for the attacking bosh, I'm convinced it has a lot more to do with being able to execute a Edwards/Farrell style rush defence to the fullest.

that's rugby league mate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:53 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

This is just like that time you said you'd batter Manny Paquiao because you have the reach on him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:59 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Or likely they'll stand deeper, spin it wide, and then we have ponderous players trying to defend the likes of Ben Smith in space?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next