Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

What's the right decision?
Jeff, you're being a knob, you really ought to chip in with the rest of the office 10%  10%  [ 10 ]
Jeff, you're right, you shouldn't have to clean it if you never use it 90%  90%  [ 88 ]
Total votes : 98
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am 

So, a conundrum for the noted intellectual and philosophical giants of the bored. We've had a flash new coffee machine put in at work (the thing looks like one of those ones you get in coffee shops but with a digital display). However, it's so flash, it needs to be cleaned every day. One of the top coffee drinkers in the office put an email out to suggest that everyone in the office should take turns (in an effort to make sure that the cleaning doesn't just fall upon the pool of secretaries).

I instantly asked whether people (i.e. people like me) who don't drink coffee would be expected to clean it. The fella said yes. I said no chance...and now there's a split emerging within the office of those that think everyone should do their bit, and people (obviously those that don't actually drink coffee) who think that asking people who don't drink coffee to clean the coffee machine is taking the piss.

So, what is the right answer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 am 

Say yes and add further that the women are responsible for the hygiene of the men's bogs and vice versa. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:13 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
So, a conundrum for the noted intellectual and philosophical giants of the bored. We've had a flash new coffee machine put in at work (the thing looks like one of those ones you get in coffee shops but with a digital display). However, it's so flash, it needs to be cleaned every day. One of the top coffee drinkers in the office put an email out to suggest that everyone in the office should take turns (in an effort to make sure that the cleaning doesn't just fall upon the pool of secretaries).

I instantly asked whether people (i.e. people like me) who don't drink coffee would be expected to clean it. The fella said yes. I said no chance...and now there's a split emerging within the office of those that think everyone should do their bit, and people (obviously those that don't actually drink coffee) who think that asking people who don't drink coffee to clean the coffee machine is taking the piss.

There isn't one.

5 pages.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am 

Yes you should.

It's a public benefit. Like public education or transport. You might not use it, but you still indirectly benefit from it (via people not being caffeine starved plum, and being more productive).

Anyway thats he best argument I can make for you to clean it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:19 am 

Quote:

Rule 1 on the pool of secretaries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am 

Zakar wrote:
Yes you should.

It's a public benefit. Like public education or transport. You might not use it, but you still indirectly benefit from it (via people not being caffeine starved plum, and being more productive).

The missus made the same argument when I told her. I can just about see it, but if you are a degenerate who needs a fix just so you can work/be nice, that certainly shouldn't be my problem.

Azlan Roar wrote:
Quote:

They're all 40-50+.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:22 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Agree to clean it.

Then every time you do take a stinky piss in the boiler.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am 

Is everyone pulling their weight with the dishwasher?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Yes you should.

The missus made the same argument when I told her. I can just about see it, but if you are a degenerate who needs a fix just so you can work/be nice, that certainly shouldn't be my problem.

Azlan Roar wrote:
Quote:

They're all 40-50+.

Stone?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am 

The answer is No, you don't have to clean it.

This one is not even ambiguous - there is no argument. People just can't keep adding gear and expect you to clean it even though you don't use it.

I'm actually getting riled up to know that this is even contentious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 am 

Zakar wrote:
Yes you should.

Slightly different take on it from me...

yeah, it's a group facility so to my mind the collective should be responsible. Now we have someone drawing a line and creating a split. This is damaging to morale and productivity. The best answer then, in that situation, is to have everyone responsible for all cleaning. Teamwork, y'see.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Yes you should.

Azlan Roar wrote:
Quote:

They're all 40-50+.

What's the coffee culture like in your workplace? Vibrant?

Nah, you don't contribute to it becoming dirty, why should you have to clean it?

Offer to do something else which is of communal benefit.

As I'm actually allergic to coffee I would tell them to fûck off.

Zakar wrote:
You might not use it, but you still indirectly benefit from it (via people not being caffeine starved plum, and being more productive).

Should other people be required to sterilize my heroin needles? What a stupid line of reasoning.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 am 

J Man wrote:
Zakar wrote:
You might not use it, but you still indirectly benefit from it (via people not being caffeine starved plum, and being more productive).

Should other people be required to sterilize my heroin needles? What a stupid line of reasoning.

You should be able to get one use needles. Much more sensible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:29 am 

Take it home for your wife to clean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:30 am 

Who's cleaning the pint glasses?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 am 

Hareaway wrote:

The thing is fucking huge! Looks like a proper piece of kit. Even has one of those things to froth up the milk.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:32 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Hareaway wrote:

The thing is fucking huge! Looks like a proper piece of kit. Even has one of those things to froth up the milk.

Ship your wife in then???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:34 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Now we have someone drawing a line and creating a split. This is damaging to morale and productivity.

Sounds like the solution is to fire Jeff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 am 

Look how one sided the voting is FFS. This one is easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Hareaway wrote:

I'm pretty sure my wife isn't the answer to the conundrum (well, certainly not this conundrum).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am 

At work we used to take turns doing the milk run. I never did it because I literally never had any milk...ever....in 9 years working there.

Everyone hated me for not doing it, but I just masturbated to their tears.

And then stole the milk from the fridge at the end of the day.

Also, where's the "Gavin Henson should clean it" option?

How does it even come into his mind that people that don't use it should clean it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Hareaway wrote:

I'm pretty sure my wife isn't the answer to the conundrum (well, certainly not this conundrum).

You could have cleaned it by now .....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 am 

The company shouldn't want you wasting your valuable time cleaning a coffee machine ffs

That's not what they pay you for

We have someone in admin that generally does it but they also look after ordering all the milk, coffee etc and liaising with the technicians that need to fix it
Things quickly go to shit when they're not there though

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am 

deadduck wrote:
The company shouldn't want you wasting your valuable time cleaning a coffee machine ffs

That's not what they pay you for

We have someone in admin that generally does it but they also look after ordering all the milk, coffee etc and liaising with the technicians that need to fix it
Things quickly go to shit when they're not there though

Same

Clean it and accidentally break it.

But seriously, cleaning a coffee machine that you don't even use :lol:

Just don't do it. What are they going to do?

J Man wrote:

Yeah. I though it was obvious, but there was enough people in the office who thought otherwise to make me question myself (and thereby make me start this thread to see if I was in fact on the wrong side of what most people might think is reasonable).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
J Man wrote:

Yeah. I though it was obvious, but there was enough people in the office who thought otherwise to make me question myself (and thereby make me start this thread to see if I was in fact on the wrong side of what most people might think is reasonable).

Because 95% of people drink coffee so they just expect everyone else too also. Coffee sucks though, it's like drinking bilge water.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:44 am 

J Man wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Many societies provide needle disposal and new needles. Helps avoid the spread of infections like HIV. Public good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:45 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Yes you should.

Azlan Roar wrote:
Quote:

They're all 40-50+.

And?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:46 am 

True Blue wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
J Man wrote:

Because 95% of people drink coffee so they just expect everyone else too also. Coffee sucks though, it's like drinking bilge water.

Amen brother! PREACH!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
J Man wrote:

Amen brother! PREACH!

Also if that dick expects you to clean it, just smash him in the face.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:48 am 

What you should do is invite them all out to dinner, order a bunch of really expensive food and drinks and then ask them to split the bill evenly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:48 am 

A simlar scenario in our office involving a secretary who hated cleaning the coffee machines has resulted in a kitchen with two coffee machines which are never used and an ever increasing family of cafetieres in varying states of disrepair that are, despite the risk of accidentally swallowing jagged fragments of wire mesh every time you have a cup of coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:49 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
J Man wrote:

So you come here, a place populated heavily by reactionary conservative cnuts to have your views validated :thumbup:

Last edited by guy smiley on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.