Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Stormers 2018
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:12 pm 

Update: The new jerseys.

The Chiefs result was not really surprising given our form over the last few weeks...really since the last time we played the Chiefs we haven't looked good.

I know EW received a lot of plaudits at the start of the season but I'm sorry, I've been saying for weeks now he's just as one dimensional as our other midfielders. No x-factor at all, just solid, nothing more. Our midfield was the biggest issue all season and we all said before the match they should have left Leyds at 15, proved it again. SP crabs across field and the reason he was picked for this game, his kicking, potentially cost us the game. Should have just trusted Willemse with the kicking, which raises another concerns about their faith in that part of his game.

Really hope the du Plessis brothers are back soon and for the full season next year. When Dan (12) got injured, our defense went to crap, he was excellent in that regard. Then we just need to find a quality 13.

We have a really solid foundation of players and in my opinion are close to the complete product, past quarter final results at home aside :lol:

Players leaving: Kolbe, Elstadt, Kebble, Huw Jones, Brandon Thomson, JdJ

Players arriving
Confirmed: Kitshoff (already arrived but wasn't able to play in the QF. He will be a big boost next year to the FR
Rumored: Rhule, Petersen, JJ Englebrecht, Oupa, - all get a :? so far

Positions we need to get some quality depth

Last edited by saffer13 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Stormers 2018
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm 

Soon as his wife lets him Sardy is all over this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm 

Huw Jones and Brandon Thomson leaving for Glasgow along with Kebble.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:30 am 

Quote:
Rhule, Petersen, JJ Englebrecht - all get a :? so far

Mahojé to WP/Stormers has been mentioned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:01 am 

houtkabouter wrote:

With #SardyStats

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:35 am 

I think the No 2 and 9 positions are critical. Probably those two positions that cost us the win against the Chiefs.

A few of the twitter folk I follow, including ex WP/Bok players are calling fro Fleck to go. I am not sure that is the answer. We have been steadily improving over the past 2/3 years. The coach is also limited to the squad he has. I would stick with him for another year at least.

One of the things I took from this past week-end is that all three of our teams competed well and any one of the three could have gone through. I also think we are closing the gap on the NZ teams. With an improved Bulls under Mitchell next year we should be a lot more competitive all round. Player recruitment is going to be key for all the SA teams for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:37 am 

I think with our squad and our injuries we have done well. With better luck on the injury front I feel we should try to go t the semi's next year and win it in 2019.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:38 am 

beachboy wrote:
I think the No 2 and 9 positions are critical. Probably those two positions that cost us the win against the Chiefs.

A few of the twitter folk I follow, including ex WP/Bok players are calling fro Fleck to go. I am not sure that is the answer. We have been steadily improving over the past 2/3 years. The coach is also limited to the squad he has. I would stick with him for another year at least.

One of the things I took from this past week-end is that all three of our teams competed well and any one of the three could have gone through. I also think we are closing the gap on the NZ teams. With an improved Bulls under Mitchell next year we should be a lot more competitive all round. Player recruitment is going to be key for all the SA teams for next year.

Three consecutive home quarter-final defeats is not progress.

If I was a Stormers fan, I would be calling for his head. It seems to me that year after year it is business as usual for the Stormers. They need a total mental shift if they're going to ever achieve anything in SR, and they should start at the top.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:38 am 

Some deadwood in the squad, players we can let go to free up some money. Carr, Elstadt, Dan Kriel for starters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 am 

handyman wrote:
Some deadwood in the squad, players we can let go to free up some money. Carr, Elstadt, Dan Kriel for starters.

Tough on Carr. Looking back at his past week-end he was one of the few players who made a lot of yards by beating opposing players. He struggled with a bit of injury this year but I would stick with him. In the loose forward department Van Dyk has stepped up this year and we have the junior bok star breaking through. I also expect Nama Xaba to come back from injury and to start to push for a place. So we are ok in that department.

I though Duvenhage was poor on Saturday but he has been good this season and probably deserves another go. We just need that extra special scrumhalf. Not sure our junior scrumhalves are good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:14 am 

Sure, there aren't too many decent hookers in SA at the moment, but Ramone Samuels is a terrible player. When is Scarra due back?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 am 

saffer13 wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

With #SardyStats

You two are obsessed.

I would like the Stormers to be competitive again. Miss the real banter.
I supect the Lions will struggle next year with those players leaving and the coach.
We have seen what an impact Whiteley and Ackers have on the side. This will give the Stormers a real shot
of progressing in Currie Cup and Soup rugby...I wonder how the shortened tournament will impact on the
conferences. Would love the Stormers in the Sharks conference for the easy beat points we will accumulate.

Be Strong Stomps...there is always next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:03 am 

Sards wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

With #SardyStats

You two are obsessed.

I would like the Stormers to be competitive again. Miss the real banter.
I supect the Lions will struggle next year with those players leaving and the coach.
We have seen what an impact Whiteley and Ackers have on the side. This will give the Stormers a real shot
of progressing in Currie Cup and Soup rugby...I wonder how the shortened tournament will impact on the
conferences. Would love the Stormers in the Sharks conference for the easy beat points we will accumulate.

Be Strong Stomps...there is always next year.

There's a time to stop boet. That time has passed...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 am 

beachboy wrote:

when ex players call for the caoch to go the management should listen.
We have seen that often enough. I am not convinced with Fleck. The Bulls are going to be really strong next year with their investment.
I always looked at Fleck as a stop gap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 am 

Sards wrote:
beachboy wrote:

We have seen that often enough. I am not convinced with Fleck. The Bulls are going to be really strong next year with their investment.

Didn't thry appoint and renew Fleck as they couldn't find a had coach?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:26 am 

Sards wrote:
beachboy wrote:

Every single retired rugby player has an opinion. To which one do you listen?

Next.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:30 am 

I wouldn't go firing Fleck unless there is someone really top drawer to replace him. It should have been Eddie Jones or John Mitchell but for whatever reason those didn't happen. At least now he's got two seasons of experience, the playing style has changed for the better, and he did manage two home wins over the Chiefs and Blues. With the current players and injuries I'm not convinced that anyone else would have done better.

Firing the boss contributes nothing positive by itself, I'd like to know who those former players would replace him with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:42 am 

Slider wrote:
I wouldn't go firing Fleck unless there is someone really top drawer to replace him. It should have been Eddie Jones or John Mitchell but for whatever reason those didn't happen. At least now he's got two seasons of experience, the playing style has changed for the better, and he did manage two home wins over the Chiefs and Blues. With the current players and injuries I'm not convinced that anyone else would have done better.

Firing the boss contributes nothing positive by itself, I'd like to know who those former players would replace him with.

Isn't Plumtree floating around

Are the Stormers financially viable now?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am 

I wasn't aware of that. I like him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 am 

Slider wrote:

I often saw him at games at Newlands.....Especially when the Stormers were negotiating a new coach

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 am 

assfly wrote:
beachboy wrote:

Three consecutive home quarter-final defeats is not progress.

If I was a Stormers fan, I would be calling for his head. It seems to me that year after year it is business as usual for the Stormers. They need a total mental shift if they're going to ever achieve anything in SR, and they should start at the top.

Progress is not just based on quarter final qualifications. We are playing a better brand of rugby and getting better at it all the time. I think Houts called it complete rugby. Players are making better decisions than they were two years ago. There is also more gees in the team. While the game is professional you also have to play for your team and teammates. It is the difference in big games. We need to improve our defense and Fleckie recognizes this. The Chief's defense on Saturday was immense and that is what we need to bring to our game as well. Continually firing and replacing coaches is not the answer. Gold got fired by the Sharks but he achieved just as much (more?) than Du Preez did in the same time. Who knows what he could have achieved if he was allowed to grow into the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 am 

Slider wrote:

he is forwards coach at the Canes......could be a good time to talk to him

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:04 am 

beachboy wrote:
Progress is not just based on quarter final qualifications. We are playing a better brand of rugby and getting better at it all the time. I think Houts called it complete rugby. Players are making better decisions than they were two years ago. There is also more gees in the team. While the game is professional you also have to play for your team and teammates. It is the difference in big games. We need to improve our defense and Fleckie recognizes this. The Chief's defense on Saturday was immense and that is what we need to bring to our game as well. Continually firing and replacing coaches is not the answer. Gold got fired by the Sharks but he achieved just as much (more?) than Du Preez did in the same time. Who knows what he could have achieved if he was allowed to grow into the job.

Ah well, he's your coach so I'm glad your happy with him.

I think the Stormers have a huge mental block. They consistently win their conference and consistency fail to get any further in the competition. If you think that Fleck has what it takes to change this record, then we'll agree to disagree.

It's an interesting comparison with the Sharks. I think we look much better under du Preez and I've got high hopes for coming seasons. One of the major changes appears to be less shit signings. Apart from the Frenchman (I'd love to know what happened to him), we were a better team with the arrival of van Wyk and Botha. But we expect results, so he won't have forever to win something.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:22 am 

The problem goes deeper than the coach....its all the unions making up the Stormers and the management.
Just consider how the Springboks couldnt attract a decent coach for the same reasons....having to bring in reinforcements.
The Stormers are bringing in reinforcements currently but not many decent coaches would work under the current management. So Flecky is ideal because he will fullfill the same role the AC fills at the boks. And accept all the shit that goes with it.

Is Wakefield out yet...?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 am 

assfly wrote:
beachboy wrote:

Ah well, he's your coach so I'm glad your happy with him.

I think the Stormers have a huge mental block. They consistently win their conference and consistency fail to get any further in the competition. If you think that Fleck has what it takes to change this record, then we'll agree to disagree.

It's an interesting comparison with the Sharks. I think we look much better under du Preez and I've got high hopes for coming seasons. One of the major changes appears to be less shit signings. Apart from the Frenchman (I'd love to know what happened to him), we were a better team with the arrival of van Wyk and Botha. But we expect results, so he won't have forever to win something.

I don't think everyone realise how many of are players were injured for part of the season or the whole season. We did not have the chance to get combinations going. We ended up playing a 19 year old rookie at flyhalf as no other 10 were left standing.

It is very tough to perform in such circumstances, that's why I believe we had an ok season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 am 

Sards wrote:
The problem goes deeper than the coach....its all the unions making up the Stormers and the management.
Just consider how the Springboks couldnt attract a decent coach for the same reasons....having to bring in reinforcements.
The Stormers are bringing in reinforcements currently but not many decent coaches would work under the current management. So Flecky is ideal because he will fullfill the same role the AC fills at the boks. And accept all the shit that goes with it.

Is Wakefield out yet...?

This is a huge problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:22 pm 

beachboy wrote:
handyman wrote:

Tough on Carr. Looking back at his past week-end he was one of the few players who made a lot of yards by beating opposing players. He struggled with a bit of injury this year but I would stick with him. In the loose forward department Van Dyk has stepped up this year and we have the junior bok star breaking through. I also expect Nama Xaba to come back from injury and to start to push for a place. So we are ok in that department.

I though Duvenhage was poor on Saturday but he has been good this season and probably deserves another go. We just need that extra special scrumhalf. Not sure our junior scrumhalves are good enough.

Agree about Carr but I also agree with handy on Kriel. Elstadt is already leaving so that's taken care of. Basson can join Kriel on whatever train he gets on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:30 pm 

1. Wakefield is the real issue.
2. Why are we taking advice from fellow quarter final losers?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:40 pm 

What Fleck needs is a good defence coach. Paul Treu fills in and he's full of enthusiasm but he's not a specialist and it's time for him to move sideways for a while. Coach the U21's perhaps. Many of the current problems date back to Nienaber leaving. Oom Gert recruited an outstanding attack coach from NZ and it would be quite nice if he could do that again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 pm 

saffer13 wrote:

Because you spent the best part of last week spraying your unwanted shit advice all over the Sharks thread :?

Perhaps it's time to dismount that high horse you're on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:50 pm 

Slider wrote:
What Fleck needs is a good defence coach. Paul Treu fills in and he's full of enthusiasm but he's not a specialist and it's time for him to move sideways for a while. Coach the U21's perhaps. Many of the current problems date back to Nienaber leaving. Oom Gert recruited an outstanding attack coach from NZ and it would be quite nice if he could do that again.

Agreed. Treu is not the right guy and I think we all said that when he was hired.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:51 pm 

assfly wrote:
saffer13 wrote:

Because you spent the best part of last week spraying your unwanted shit advice all over the Sharks thread :?

Stop talking crap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:11 pm 

saffer13 wrote:
assfly wrote:
saffer13 wrote:

Stop talking crap.

I will second that.

It's not necessary.

Your problem is that if someone suggests a problem instead of debating it you go into full provincialism and it becomes a boring shitfight. The Stormers are not all that. They have just as much issues as every other franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:14 pm 

Sards wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
assfly wrote:
saffer13 wrote:

Stop talking crap.

I will second that.

It's not necessary.

Your problem is that if someone suggests a problem instead of debating it you go into full provincialism and it becomes a boring shitfight. The Stormers are not all that. They have just as much issues as every other franchise.

Yes and we are well aware of our issues. This entire season we've mostly spoken about our shortcoming and where our troubles lie, even before the QF, which is in stark contrast to the arrogance shown by "some" Sharks fans even in the lead up to the QF yet you claim WE always bring provincialism on threads. Bugger off with your fakenews :lol:

Now stop infesting this thread with your trolling. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:20 pm 

Trolling...?

Your issues lie deeper than provincialism.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:43 pm 

Shortcomings? I've been told that th Stormers are the biggest and best team in Africa.

I was actually having a good chat before you came along and picked a fight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:59 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:

Yup :) I called it. :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:02 pm 

houtkabouter wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:

Yup :) I called it. :nod:

Been working lad. It's a bitch I underdstand and would prefer not to but desperate times call for desperate measures.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:09 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:36 am 

Stormers coaches on a training trip

Quote:
Stormers coach Robbie Fleck and his assistants are set to broaden their professional skills with a long road trip to study other professional setups.

Fleck will be accompanied by Paul Feeney (skills)‚ Russell Winter (forwards) and Steph du Toit (conditioning).

Quote:
"We will assess what worked for us and what hasn’t and we will again travel the world to tap into the best expertise we can to see what we can do to improve our team.

"We will come back and present a good plan for 2018 to the players," the coach said.

Quote:
Later in 2017 Fleck and the coaches will spend time with departing Chiefs coach Dave Rennie at his new post as head coach of the Glasgow Warriors.

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/sport/rugby/2017-07-25-coaches-on-trip-to-pick-up-tips/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next