Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:06 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Killing vegans, one by one, with Chris Tarrant.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 pm 

Ooh now this is good. It’s quite complex, but from what I can tell a young author in the Young Adult fiction genre recently wrote a book about indentured servitude in China. Now, the author is Asian American with a Chinese background.

But instead of being lauded for her work, she was instead harassed by a group of woke YA Twitter activists for some sort of confusing grievance about how the book involved slavery and yet it didnt involve the experience of black women, who are of course the lowest rung of the societal ladder blah blah blah.

Did she apologise, you ask? Not only did she do that, but she withheld her book from even being published. I should add that most of the outrage didn’t come from POC but uber-Woke white LGBT activist women.

I have to say, what a palaver!

https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/ya-twit ... ancel.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:39 am 

Man In Black wrote:
Ooh now this is good. It’s quite complex, but from what I can tell a young author in the Young Adult fiction genre recently wrote a book about indentured servitude in China. Now, the author is Asian American with a Chinese background.

But instead of being lauded for her work, she was instead harassed by a group of woke YA Twitter activists for some sort of confusing grievance about how the book involved slavery and yet it didnt involve the experience of black women, who are of course the lowest rung of the societal ladder blah blah blah.

Did she apologise, you ask? Not only did she do that, but she withheld her book from even being published. I should add that most of the outrage didn’t come from POC but uber-Woke white LGBT activist women.

I started to read that but I couldn't really follow it. It came across as a bit Vicky Pollard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:16 am 

Man In Black wrote:

Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:56 am 

fatcat wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

I started to read that but I couldn't really follow it. It came across as a bit Vicky Pollard.

Yeah, sorry. Noted. It’s kind of complex and I don’t expect many people to care given it’s YA authors and the fight is being carried out on twitter. But I still think it’s representative of what’s happening with the culture and wouldn’t be surprised to see this sort of behaviour spreading.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Yeah, sorry. Noted. It’s kind of complex and I don’t expect many people to care given it’s YA authors and the fight is being carried out on twitter. But I still think it’s representative of what’s happening with the culture and wouldn’t be surprised to see this sort of behaviour spreading.

No, your post was fine, I was talking about the article. Although I do appreciate that it's perfect for this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:48 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

Cannibalising each other over who's woke enough (with added petty personal issues). That'll deliver the inclusive utopia they claim to want :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:46 pm 

Given that actors can no longer portray people out of their own race/ability/gender/sexuality it was never going to be long before authors were subject to the same woke lunacy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 pm 

We need more Bryan Cranstons and fewer Scarlett Johanssons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:09 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
Given that actors can no longer portray people out of their own race/ability/gender/sexuality it was never going to be long before authors were subject to the same woke lunacy.

There was a article a few years back in the Guardian complaining about why a disabled actor was not considered for the role of Stephen Hawking in 'A theory of everything'. The fact that they needed an actor to portray Professor Hawking before the effects of motor neurone disease took hold seemed to pass them by.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:11 pm 

fatcat wrote:

Said no one ever. Give yourself an uppercut.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm 

fatcat wrote:

Speak for yourself because I need lots of Scarlett Johanssons.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:22 pm 

etherman wrote:
fatcat wrote:

Said no one ever. Give yourself an uppercut.

Why?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

There was a article a few years back in the Guardian complaining about why a disabled actor was not considered for the role of Stephen Hawking in 'A theory of everything'. The fact that they needed an actor to portray Professor Hawking before the effects of motor neurone disease took hold seemed to pass them by.

I have some sympathy with the race one.. I mean Emma Stone playing a supposedly half Asian was just silly. I also have some sympathy for disabled actors who have a limited choice of roles having a bit of a moan.. people with dwarfism are gonna get stuck playing Panto.. that’s just the way it is. But how one can say a straight man shouldn’t play a gay man and vice versa.. WTF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:46 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

I have some sympathy with the race one.. I mean Emma Stone playing a supposedly half Asian was just silly. I also have some sympathy for disabled actors who have a limited choice of roles having a bit of a moan.. people with dwarfism are gonna get stuck playing Panto.. that’s just the way it is. But how one can say a straight man shouldn’t play a gay man and vice versa.. WTF

Plus they’re actors, they’re all going to be at least a little bit gay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:50 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Plus they’re actors, they’re all going to be at least a little bit gay.

Even Chuck Norris or Clint?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:56 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Nah. Chloe Bennet in S.H.I.E.L.D is mixed white/Asian and there's barely any trace of the latter in her appearance imo. By her complexion I thought she might be latina. Stone looks way more likely to have some Asian in her by comparison which I think actually underlines a somewhat uncomfortable, potentially racist, set of assumptions we've collectively accumulated about what certain racial mixes 'should' look like.

I get what you mean about disabled actors, some of them are necessarily limited, though, by their physicality and it's a lot easier/more fiscally viable to get a bankable name to attempt to replicate/imitate than deploy an unknown in a one off.

The straight/gay thing is utterly ridiculous, especially when you've got (relatively) prominent gay actors like Neil Patrick Harris and Matt Bomer playing not just straight, but womanising roles. At some point things have to cut both ways otherwise you just keep promoting equal but different.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:05 pm 

I watched my friend in a panto last weekend and was horrified to see a 17 yr old girl playing the role of Jack in Alice In Wonderland, depriving some poor young chap of getting a leg-up in the world of community amateur dramatics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:53 pm 

This is a more thorough piece on the YA fandango.

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-a ... ing-career

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:36 pm 

Market Square Hero wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
Whatever you use, you’ll get a cyclers willy-bum area at first then get used to it and the problem disappears. £10 padded shorts work just as well as £200 ones, but quite often I wear neither and am fine after the getting used to it period. If I haven’t cycled for a few weeks in the winter then I will often wear a cheap pair under my regular attire for the first ride just to ease the willy-bum area back in.

I think the correct anatomical term you're looking for is the Barse, or Biffin Bridge on ladies.

Aka "the area between the muckhole and the fuckhole" as my friend so delicately puts it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:05 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
Whatever you use, you’ll get a cyclers willy-bum area at first then get used to it and the problem disappears. £10 padded shorts work just as well as £200 ones, but quite often I wear neither and am fine after the getting used to it period. If I haven’t cycled for a few weeks in the winter then I will often wear a cheap pair under my regular attire for the first ride just to ease the willy-bum area back in.

I think the correct anatomical term you're looking for is the Barse, or Biffin Bridge on ladies.

Aka "the area between the muckhole and the fuckhole" as my friend so delicately puts it.

Aka "the taint", as iT AINT the arsehole and iT AINT the vagina, according to Urban Dict.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:42 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
38 years ago today Greg Chappell apologised - and so he fucking well should have.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:23 am 

cubby boi wrote:

Gooch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:43 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Nah. Chloe Bennet in S.H.I.E.L.D is mixed white/Asian and there's barely any trace of the latter in her appearance imo. By her complexion I thought she might be latina. Stone looks way more likely to have some Asian in her by comparison which I think actually underlines a somewhat uncomfortable, potentially racist, set of assumptions we've collectively accumulated about what certain racial mixes 'should' look like.

I get what you mean about disabled actors, some of them are necessarily limited, though, by their physicality and it's a lot easier/more fiscally viable to get a bankable name to attempt to replicate/imitate than deploy an unknown in a one off.

The straight/gay thing is utterly ridiculous, especially when you've got (relatively) prominent gay actors like Neil Patrick Harris and Matt Bomer playing not just straight, but womanising roles. At some point things have to cut both ways otherwise you just keep promoting equal but different.

Wasn't Stone's character meant to also be part Hawaiian? Which only heightened the angst people supposedly felt.

I've said this on another similarly themed thread but this overly PC, ultra-woke BS has gone too f**king far. I consider myself a progressive guy. Marriage equality. Yep. Gender equality. No problems. Race, religion etc. All fine. As long as you show me the same level of consideration and respect you wish to be shown we'll have no issues. But this shit has to stop. The example above regarding the indentured servants in China is a perfect example of fuckwitted SJW's exhibiting the exact kind of ignorant and dare I say racist intolerance the are supposedly fighting against. They make everyone else who want to see real change and progress lives more difficult by screaming the loudest and coming across as crazed feral loons. All for the sake that they can wrap themselves up in a sense of superiority and being a 'good person' in their own minds. fudge me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:

Wasn't Stone's character meant to also be part Hawaiian? Which only heightened the angst people supposedly felt.

I've said this on another similarly themed thread but this overly PC, ultra-woke BS has gone too f**king far. I consider myself a progressive guy. Marriage equality. Yep. Gender equality. No problems. Race, religion etc. All fine. As long as you show me the same level of consideration and respect you wish to be shown we'll have no issues. But this shit has to stop. The example above regarding the indentured servants in China is a perfect example of fuckwitted SJW's exhibiting the exact kind of ignorant and dare I say racist intolerance the are supposedly fighting against. They make everyone else who want to see real change and progress lives more difficult by screaming the loudest and coming across as crazed feral loons. All for the sake that they can wrap themselves up in a sense of superiority and being a 'good person' in their own minds. fudge me.

I endorse this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:08 pm 

Get out Guy, you are one!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:48 pm 

They turn on each other with impressive regularity really. By concentrating on every little thing that is said or written so damn hard that they can possibly construe some form of 'micro-aggression' or perceived intolerance into anything not using the absolute latest approved speech, they can increase their own status/power within their own group, especially if they take down someone of higher status.
By constantly altering what is or isn't acceptable speech within their own circles, it's inevitable that nobody can stay at prominent in it for long, as something they said 5 years ago will suddenly no longer be acceptable and they'll have to issue a tearful apology and resignation for what they said back when it wasn't yet unacceptable.
They're doomed to eat themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:37 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:

They turn on each other with impressive regularity really. By concentrating on every little thing that is said or written so damn hard that they can possibly construe some form of 'micro-aggression' or perceived intolerance into anything not using the absolute latest approved speech, they can increase their own status/power within their own group, especially if they take down someone of higher status.
By constantly altering what is or isn't acceptable speech within their own circles, it's inevitable that nobody can stay at prominent in it for long, as something they said 5 years ago will suddenly no longer be acceptable and they'll have to issue a tearful apology and resignation for what they said back when it wasn't yet unacceptable.
They're doomed to eat themselves.

I had a big old row with an old school friend who I now only see occasionally due to mutual friends, by pointing out that a lot of the SJW/super-progressive stuff he signs up to and expects everyone else to is actually hyper-elitist and inaccessible to a lot of the population and this is only exacerbated by the intense scrutiny placed on linguistic minutiae. People who may actually broadly agree with their ideas are isolated and excluded or worse turned upon as soon as they attempt to contribute, for not using the current precise term. His head near enough exploded.

He's plum anyway. Complete champagne socialist, comes from money as his Dad works for oil companies in the gulf in some capacity and has spent the decade since we left school mainly starting and stopping studies while bank-rolled by the family, all the while espousing progressive marxism. Got married recently at one of the single most lavish ceremonies I've heard of (I was pointedly not invited, but most of our mutual friends attended and have related how ridiculoud it was) from non-celebs. Personalised vows about what good little Marxists they were both going to be while everyone was being served - I shit you not - quail.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:40 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Quarter Hawaiian (whatever visual expectation that's supposed to realise itself as given the mix of ethnicities on Hawaii, unless we basically mean polynesian), quarter Chinese, half white.

I ensdorse every word of your second paragraph.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6