Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21641
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Used to happen all the time as a Mod here. Bloody tuff crowd, you buggers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7816
backrow wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
I have a bigger problem at the moment with grown men who seem to carry school bags everywhere these days.

Work, rugby matches etc.


the Poster Slick did that to the xmas cabal about ten years ago - he still gets the bantz as 'the man with the man-bag'


You see, the thing to look out for in that post was "these days". I was twenty years ahead of the times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7816
OptimisticJock wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Chris Hoy is the latest.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41092831

Quote:
Cyclist Sir Chris Hoy has apologised for saying Lycra looked "awful" on anyone weighing more than 8st (49kg).

The six-time Olympic gold medallist took to Twitter to say he was "really sorry" for the comment, which he described as "tongue-in-cheek"

It followed a GQ article in which he said amateur cyclists did not have to pull on a pair of tight-fitting shorts to look good.

That led to criticism that he was "body shaming" larger cyclists.

In his article, Sir Chris said Lycra was not the most elegant material and that professional cycling gear generally looked bad on anyone heavier than 8st.
'14+stone Mamil'

He also said the desire of so-called "mamils" - middle-aged men in Lycra - to be seen in the latest high-performance Team Sky cycling kit all too often led to ridiculous results.

"Personally, I feel sorry for mamils," he wrote. "When they walk into a cafe dressed head-to-toe in Lycra, you always spot people sniggering at them."

However, in an apparent change of heart, Sir Chris said: "As a 14+stone MAMIL myself, this was a tongue-in-cheek article that wasn't meant to offend.

"I'm really sorry; reading it back it looks harsh & that wasn't my intention. Whatever ur age/build, if ur on a bike u have my respect."

Man takes pish out of himself everyone gets offended. FFS


You're right, this is where it is going on social media, you can't even take the piss out of yourself without someone being offended.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14363
Location: Coalfalls
Enzedder wrote:
Used to happen all the time as a Mod here.

Wot? Being sniggered at for wearing lycra or being harangued into apologising?

The former seems unlikely; the latter is a fabrication. Shirley.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8224
Location: Middle of the Lothians
Womack wrote:
I don't think it's that outlandish an idea to ride 60-odd miles on a mountain bike in normal clothes. Fairly sure I could do it, particularly if said bike was equipped with road tyres, albeit it wouldn't be as comfortable or easy as on a road bike in Lycra.

I can think of quite a few examples of me and others doing exactly that. Back when I did the London to Brighton, probably around 10 years ago, loads of the participants, again including me, were on hybrids/mtbs and wearing normal clothes - OK 54 miles but in the same ballpark.

Edit: I think possibly there is a difference of understanding here of how much effort needs to be put out whilst riding a bike. 100km in 3-4 hours with few stops is a very different proposition to the same distance in 6-7 hours with lots of stops.


You are a committed cyclist though who appears to ride many different styles of bikes, as am I. So you are right, it is relatively easy for us to hop on a mountain bike and ride a 100kms, however the thought of someone with little interest in cycling, just keeping a bike in a shed to pop out every now and then for the odd 100kms seems a bit of a stretch and typical of the "cycling is an overrated pastime and anyone can do it" school of thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:56 pm
Posts: 1169
Wow, some of the comments on this thread :blush: Last time I looked we still lived in a democracy where if you have the money and can afford it who gives a shit what you spend it on. Nearly everyone has some form of hobby / addiction / pastime that they spend money on.

Personally I spent £180 on a second hand Trek bike then spent £150 upgrading the rear mechanicals so that my granny could ride uphill in my granny gear. First lot of kit was from Sports Direct probably £75 including shoes and cleats. I have upgraded to bib shorts with additional padding but only spent £20 on eBay (new not used) and shelled out £40 on a club shirt (Sussex Nomads) from the club I joined.

Will I be upgrading my bike and kit soon? Yes I will because I can and want to. Is it the concern of anyone else. No.

What I have now remembered from my youth is the effect the wind and wind drag has on you especially when cycling on your own so smoother tight fitting kit really does help. I'm 55 and happy with life in general so in terms of what people think of me in Lycra I don't give a flying toss.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 50349
Location: Oundle
Rule 2. "Never apologise, never explain".

Sadly this post does not come with pictures of nude women for which I humbly apologise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38635
Location: in transit
Plums going on about the look of blokes in lycra aren't being forced to look, are they?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1311
Trying to find it again but there was an article recently highlighting how few british people were exercising. I think it is probably that % of the population you should be most worried about.

Quote:
Public Health England (PHE) said 41% of the 15.3 million English adults aged 40 to 60 walk less than 10 minutes continuously each month at a brisk pace of at least 3mph.


:lol: :lol:


Last edited by Denirostaxidriver on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3929
croyals wrote:
I have no idea why someone would spend £200 on a pair of lycra shorts when, for what they're doing, a normal pair of sports shorts for a tenner would do the same job.

Not permitted.
Quote:
Rule #18 // Know what to wear. Don’t suffer kit confusion. No baggy shorts and jerseys while riding the road bike. No lycra when riding the mountain bike (unless racing XC). Skin suits only for cyclocross.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

In general though it's a pretty cheap sport, intentionally so as the ICU severely limits technological innovation. You can buy the same bike Froome won the TdF on for about GBP5k. I occasionally threaten Mrs Doc with taking up an actual expensive hobby like yachting or racing Porches.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1311
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
croyals wrote:
I have no idea why someone would spend £200 on a pair of lycra shorts when, for what they're doing, a normal pair of sports shorts for a tenner would do the same job.

Not permitted.
Quote:
Rule #18 // Know what to wear. Don’t suffer kit confusion. No baggy shorts and jerseys while riding the road bike. No lycra when riding the mountain bike (unless racing XC). Skin suits only for cyclocross.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

In general though it's a pretty cheap sport, intentionally so as the ICU severely limits technological innovation. You can buy the same bike Froome won the TdF on for about GBP5k. I occasionally threaten Mrs Doc with taking up an actual expensive hobby like yachting or racing Porches.


Quote:
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3929
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Trying to find it again but there was an article recently highlighting how few british people were exercising. I think it is probably that % of the population you should be most worried about.

Quote:
Public Health England (PHE) said 41% of the 15.3 million English adults aged 40 to 60 walk less than 10 minutes continuously each month at a brisk pace of at least 3mph.


:lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: What the utter fudge? How's that even possible?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8224
Location: Middle of the Lothians
Of course, scuba divers in wet suits also look very, very funny.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19558
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Trying to find it again but there was an article recently highlighting how few british people were exercising. I think it is probably that % of the population you should be most worried about.

Quote:
Public Health England (PHE) said 41% of the 15.3 million English adults aged 40 to 60 walk less than 10 minutes continuously each month at a brisk pace of at least 3mph.


:lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: What the utter fudge? How's that even possible?


That's staggering (literally).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 3929
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
croyals wrote:
I have no idea why someone would spend £200 on a pair of lycra shorts when, for what they're doing, a normal pair of sports shorts for a tenner would do the same job.

Not permitted.
Quote:
Rule #18 // Know what to wear. Don’t suffer kit confusion. No baggy shorts and jerseys while riding the road bike. No lycra when riding the mountain bike (unless racing XC). Skin suits only for cyclocross.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

In general though it's a pretty cheap sport, intentionally so as the ICU severely limits technological innovation. You can buy the same bike Froome won the TdF on for about GBP5k. I occasionally threaten Mrs Doc with taking up an actual expensive hobby like yachting or racing Porches.


Quote:
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

:thumbup: It's an excellent resource. Rule 5 is a verb - 'mate, you need to Rule 5'.

I've got 3 bikes - commuter, road bike, mtb. I'd like a cross-type thing for multi-day non-technical trails but 4 would deffo be stretching her patience.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1311
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
croyals wrote:
I have no idea why someone would spend £200 on a pair of lycra shorts when, for what they're doing, a normal pair of sports shorts for a tenner would do the same job.

Not permitted.
Quote:
Rule #18 // Know what to wear. Don’t suffer kit confusion. No baggy shorts and jerseys while riding the road bike. No lycra when riding the mountain bike (unless racing XC). Skin suits only for cyclocross.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

In general though it's a pretty cheap sport, intentionally so as the ICU severely limits technological innovation. You can buy the same bike Froome won the TdF on for about GBP5k. I occasionally threaten Mrs Doc with taking up an actual expensive hobby like yachting or racing Porches.


Quote:
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

:thumbup: It's an excellent resource. Rule 5 is a verb - 'mate, you need to Rule 5'.

I've got 3 bikes - commuter, road bike, mtb. I'd like a cross-type thing for multi-day non-technical trails but 4 would deffo be stretching her patience.


A road and triathlon bike here. Abandoned another one outside as I could not sell it without feeling guilty that someone would die on it.

Edit - and loads of lycra


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1336
JM2K6 wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Who gives a fudge what someone else is wearing when they're riding a bike? You lot sound like a bunch of old women down the hair salon.

I live out in the sticks down a single lane road slap bang in the middle of a popular cycling route and I just think 'fair-play big lad' when some lycra clad lard arse is grinding his big-ring to try and keep up with the sexy young things in front. If spending £200 on ill-fitting shorts is the excuse people need to do strenuous exercise then it's a good thing IMO.


The thing is he's been attacked by the type of idiots who sport #FatPride hashtags, endlessly blog about the heroics of being overweight and thus castigate dissenters as “fat shamers”.

Meanwhile men women are now fatter than ever.


Right, we should encourage people to do something about their weight

maybe exercise

like riding a fucking bike without some cunt taking the piss out of them

I think more people should take the piss out of things. People take themselves too seriously.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1336
Womack wrote:
I don't think it's that outlandish an idea to ride 60-odd miles on a mountain bike in normal clothes. Fairly sure I could do it, particularly if said bike was equipped with road tyres, albeit it wouldn't be as comfortable or easy as on a road bike in Lycra.

I can think of quite a few examples of me and others doing exactly that. Back when I did the London to Brighton, probably around 10 years ago, loads of the participants, again including me, were on hybrids/mtbs and wearing normal clothes - OK 54 miles but in the same ballpark.

Edit: I think possibly there is a difference of understanding here of how much effort needs to be put out whilst riding a bike. 100km in 3-4 hours with few stops is a very different proposition to the same distance in 6-7 hours with lots of stops.

Yep. My achilles have being playing up, so though I'd dig my bike out (20 year old rigid MTB with smooth tyres) instead of running. Went for 30 miles in just over the 2 hours. I was poorly equipped (no cycling specific clothing and no water), but found it no bother and no aches or pains afterwards.

I'm not disputing that a decent bike and decent clothing would have made it more pleasurable and faster, but there is certainly no need to go mad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9023
Location: hovering over the red button
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
croyals wrote:
I have no idea why someone would spend £200 on a pair of lycra shorts when, for what they're doing, a normal pair of sports shorts for a tenner would do the same job.

Not permitted.
Quote:
Rule #18 // Know what to wear. Don’t suffer kit confusion. No baggy shorts and jerseys while riding the road bike. No lycra when riding the mountain bike (unless racing XC). Skin suits only for cyclocross.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

In general though it's a pretty cheap sport, intentionally so as the ICU severely limits technological innovation. You can buy the same bike Froome won the TdF on for about GBP5k. I occasionally threaten Mrs Doc with taking up an actual expensive hobby like yachting or racing Porches.


Quote:
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

:thumbup: It's an excellent resource. Rule 5 is a verb - 'mate, you need to Rule 5'.

I've got 3 bikes - commuter, road bike, mtb. I'd like a cross-type thing for multi-day non-technical trails but 4 would deffo be stretching her patience.


5 bikes - TT/Tri bike for racing, Road bike, Cross bike, Hybrid and hard tail MTB.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38635
Location: in transit
I need another bike....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Posts: 3726
Location: Chukity - puck!!!
I am completely outraged!!!

Lycra you say?!!! Bloody lycra!!!

It is pronounced L I E - C R A!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8814
theo wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Trying to find it again but there was an article recently highlighting how few british people were exercising. I think it is probably that % of the population you should be most worried about.

Quote:
Public Health England (PHE) said 41% of the 15.3 million English adults aged 40 to 60 walk less than 10 minutes continuously each month at a brisk pace of at least 3mph.


:lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock: What the utter fudge? How's that even possible?


That's staggering (literally).



For a lot of people 3mph is fast, very fast. They just don't have the basic condition to be able to do it, certainly not for 10min continuously.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16616
Location: West of Londinium
Anonymous. wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Who gives a fudge what someone else is wearing when they're riding a bike? You lot sound like a bunch of old women down the hair salon.

I live out in the sticks down a single lane road slap bang in the middle of a popular cycling route and I just think 'fair-play big lad' when some lycra clad lard arse is grinding his big-ring to try and keep up with the sexy young things in front. If spending £200 on ill-fitting shorts is the excuse people need to do strenuous exercise then it's a good thing IMO.

Shut it you Lycra wearing Applestaaaa

I have a mountain bike so its baggies all the way for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6895
I wear shorts over my Lycra padded cycling shorts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34841
badmannotinjapan wrote:
I wear shorts over my Lycra padded cycling shorts.


That's what I do a lot of the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38635
Location: in transit
Seneca of the Night wrote:
badmannotinjapan wrote:
I wear shorts over my Lycra padded cycling shorts.


That's what I do a lot of the time.



What are you afraid of?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39400
globus wrote:
Rule 2. "Never apologise, never explain".

Sadly this post does not come with pictures of nude women for which I humbly apologise.



I think you will find it is never complain, never explain.

Jeez some people really get their panties bunched 😕
Fat people look risible in tight Lycra , Hoy is right! That being said it is the most comfortable and practical material to cycle in whatever your size. So he offended people ? So fecking what.


Last edited by Openside on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 6300
Openside wrote:
globus wrote:
Rule 2. "Never apologise, never explain".

Sadly this post does not come with pictures of nude women for which I humbly apologise.



I think you will find it is never complain, never explain.

Jeez some people really get their panties bunched 😕
Fat Wolpe look risible in tight Lycra , Hoy is right! That being said it is the most comfortable and practical material to cycle in whatever your size. So he offended people ? Do fecking what.


Yeah this thread has turned into a MAMIL/lycra bashing exercise (which is fair enough) when in reality we are just agreeing with Hoy. The true topic - fatties being offended because his comments are construed as 'fat shaming' by the fatinazis and the perpetually offended - has been somewhat lost.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22341
Location: Centre of the Universe
theo wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
The mamil market is highly lucrative. These eejits think nothing of spending €200+ on a pair of castelli cycling shorts. It is bonkers. A sport designed to part middle class men from their disposable income.


Taking over from golf.

It is daft. The cost of the clothing is just bonkers.



Agreed!

I also believe it's the new 'midlife crisis' outlet for a certain type of man. The mother of a child I coached and I struck up a convo about my cycling everywhere once and she said that her ex- was mad into it as well. He dropped a lot of money on it and got super fit, she said. I didn't feel it was appropriate to ask if that happened before or after they split. ("I'm fit now and can bang hotter women. See ya... " :? )

As for my attire, a reasonably loose rugby jersey and a pair of baggy, but not overly long swim trunks from a charity shop do me just fine.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19899
Thanks for the photo. I'd never have been able to visualise such apparel without it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21854
fatcat wrote:
Shrekles wrote:
Why should he have to apologise for being right? I would like to point out that every male looks f**king ridiculous in lycra. Wake up to yourselves you tossers.


Because people like to be outraged. People are always trying to see how they can become a victim, or to look out for people that they think may be being victimised. These people are usually very active on social media.

Speaking of which, you've a tendency to whine about the people getting outraged. You should get a cream or something for that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 pm
Posts: 14601
Enough fashion advice already... back on topic.

Quote:
In early August a lecturer at Australian National University in Canberra was accused of discrimination after posting a warning not to cheat in both English and Chinese.

The ensuing uproar resulted in a letter of apology in which he wrote 'I realize I made a poor decision'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMB6NEJr



Quote:
Chinese students outraged over a world map showing territory claimed by China as part of India have forced the IT lecturer who used it to apologise.

Khimji Vaghjiani included the offending image in his Sydney University lectures 18 months ago but has now made a public apology after Chinese social media erupted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMBWZVNT


Just how much power to Chinese students wield at Australian universities?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21641
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
MungoMan wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Used to happen all the time as a Mod here.

Wot? Being sniggered at for wearing lycra or being harangued into apologising?

The former seems unlikely; the latter is a fabrication. Shirley.


Mods and Lycra is a no-no. It's in the manual.

trying to hijack the thread here. The mere thought of MAMILs is scary


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2096
Crash_12 wrote:
Enough fashion advice already... back on topic.

Quote:
In early August a lecturer at Australian National University in Canberra was accused of discrimination after posting a warning not to cheat in both English and Chinese.

The ensuing uproar resulted in a letter of apology in which he wrote 'I realize I made a poor decision'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMB6NEJr



Quote:
Chinese students outraged over a world map showing territory claimed by China as part of India have forced the IT lecturer who used it to apologise.

Khimji Vaghjiani included the offending image in his Sydney University lectures 18 months ago but has now made a public apology after Chinese social media erupted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMBWZVNT


Just how much power to Chinese students wield at Australian universities?


They might have a point in the first of those. It seems a bit pointed to post his warning in Chinese at an Australian university.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38635
Location: in transit
Crash_12 wrote:
Enough fashion advice already... back on topic.

Quote:
In early August a lecturer at Australian National University in Canberra was accused of discrimination after posting a warning not to cheat in both English and Chinese.

The ensuing uproar resulted in a letter of apology in which he wrote 'I realize I made a poor decision'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMB6NEJr



Quote:
Chinese students outraged over a world map showing territory claimed by China as part of India have forced the IT lecturer who used it to apologise.

Khimji Vaghjiani included the offending image in his Sydney University lectures 18 months ago but has now made a public apology after Chinese social media erupted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMBWZVNT


Just how much power to Chinese students wield at Australian universities?



A lot more than is healthy or desirable.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-06/h ... ia/8590610
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-04/t ... ia/8584270
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher- ... d85543a023


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1809
Location: NZ
guy smiley wrote:
Plums going on about the look of blokes in lycra aren't being forced to look, are they?

The Road Code makes it a requirement


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 46198
Crash_12 wrote:
Enough fashion advice already... back on topic.

Quote:
In early August a lecturer at Australian National University in Canberra was accused of discrimination after posting a warning not to cheat in both English and Chinese.

The ensuing uproar resulted in a letter of apology in which he wrote 'I realize I made a poor decision'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMB6NEJr



Quote:
Chinese students outraged over a world map showing territory claimed by China as part of India have forced the IT lecturer who used it to apologise.

Khimji Vaghjiani included the offending image in his Sydney University lectures 18 months ago but has now made a public apology after Chinese social media erupted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4rMBWZVNT


Just how much power to Chinese students wield at Australian universities?


I'd never take a Daily Mail article at face value, mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22341
Location: Centre of the Universe
Heard a story on the radio this morning about four men who were accidentally switched at birth (two different occasions, same hospital) and while I've no issue with them wanting compensation, I did find it a bit silly that they want the current Prime Minister - not the Health Minister - to issue a public apology. Even the Health Minister would be a bit much, imo. Anyone still living from the hospital admin / staff involved, sure ... but I really don't get many of these decades/century or more after the fact apologies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4083295


As much as I disliked our previous PM, I think on at least one occasion he made a clever apology for something like this by saying it's a regret that the thing happened and addressed how things have improved, rather than giving the direct "We're / I'm sorry" as if he had anything to do with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 34914
Location: Planet Rock
Openside wrote:
globus wrote:
Rule 2. "Never apologise, never explain".

Sadly this post does not come with pictures of nude women for which I humbly apologise.



I think you will find it is never complain, never explain.

Jeez some people really get their panties bunched 😕
Fat Wolpe look risible in tight Lycra , Hoy is right! That being said it is the most comfortable and practical material to cycle in whatever your size. So he offended people ? Do fecking what.


Don't be silly. He is making a comfortable living as a friendly national treasure. I assume he wants to do that for the foreseeable so he shouldn't go around offending anybody. If he wants his wallet to look shit in Lycra he won't be doing that again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 46893
Location: In the Centre/left wing
fatcat wrote:
Chris Hoy is the latest.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41092831

Quote:
Cyclist Sir Chris Hoy has apologised for saying Lycra looked "awful" on anyone weighing more than 8st (49kg).

The six-time Olympic gold medallist took to Twitter to say he was "really sorry" for the comment, which he described as "tongue-in-cheek"

It followed a GQ article in which he said amateur cyclists did not have to pull on a pair of tight-fitting shorts to look good.

That led to criticism that he was "body shaming" larger cyclists.

In his article, Sir Chris said Lycra was not the most elegant material and that professional cycling gear generally looked bad on anyone heavier than 8st.
'14+stone Mamil'

He also said the desire of so-called "mamils" - middle-aged men in Lycra - to be seen in the latest high-performance Team Sky cycling kit all too often led to ridiculous results.

"Personally, I feel sorry for mamils," he wrote. "When they walk into a cafe dressed head-to-toe in Lycra, you always spot people sniggering at them."

However, in an apparent change of heart, Sir Chris said: "As a 14+stone MAMIL myself, this was a tongue-in-cheek article that wasn't meant to offend.

"I'm really sorry; reading it back it looks harsh & that wasn't my intention. Whatever ur age/build, if ur on a bike u have my respect."

It's cute that the right get so upset that idiots apologise for upsetting people when they should tell people to get fecked.
Get a life alt Cucks


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dubh01, ElementFreak, _fatprop, Google Adsense [Bot], koroke hangareka, MungoMan, Slim 293, wsurfa and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group