Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:52 am 

I am still enjoying adult beverages....and still very misty...the one team I always wanted to win has done it. I am in shock.

I tried to avoid this thread as I knew the usual story. Pittsburgh beats us, I get angry and ask god why.

But man, this team was just different. Watching OV raise the Cup was beyond emotional.

I cannot believe that the Washington Capitals are Stanley Cup Champions...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

tcc_dc wrote:
I am still enjoying adult beverages....and still very misty...the one team I always wanted to win has done it. I am in shock.

I tried to avoid this thread as I knew the usual story. Pittsburgh beats us, I get angry and ask god why.

But man, this team was just different. Watching OV raise the Cup was beyond emotional.

I cannot believe that the Washington Capitals are Stanley Cup Champions...

Well done. Enjoy the moment. I may never, and fear 2011 was as close as we'll get in my lifetime.

Watching the celebrations I was talking with daughter (avid hockey player/fan) about the odds of winning the Stanley Cup when you are a) selected in the bantam draft and then b) drafted by an NHL team. Either way, long odds and happy for TJ Oshie (very emotional), Ovie and Trotts - amongst others.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:26 pm 

Well Done Caps.

Shame The Cup has to stay in Vegas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 pm 

Hoffman traded by the Sens to the Sharks who traded him to the Panthers. An incredible story about Hoffman's fiancé ripping into Karlsson's wife.

https://www.tsn.ca/sharks-flip-hoffman- ... -1.1116984

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:55 pm 

canuckles wrote:
Hoffman traded by the Sens to the Sharks who traded him to the Panthers. An incredible story about Hoffman's fiancé ripping into Karlsson's wife.

https://www.tsn.ca/sharks-flip-hoffman- ... -1.1116984

Read about that. Wishing babies dead etc wasn't she? Not sure if Hoffman the player has said anything about it but hard to defend it. Fake twitter accounts just so she can get in some abuse. All a bit mad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:30 am 

Hoffman did come out and denied the accusations. Judging by a few picks of his girlfriend I found on the internet, I believe the Karlssons, that girlfriend has crazy eyes!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 am 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Hoffman did come out and denied the accusations. Judging by a few picks of his girlfriend I found on the internet, I believe the Karlssons, that girlfriend has crazy eyes!

From what I have been told, in Canada for them to grant something like this, there had to be a decent amount of proof unlike the US where it is the word sometimes.

Draft is this Friday.

It will be interesting to see if the Senators give up their pick this year to the Avs or roll the dice that they will be better next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:28 am 

tcc_dc wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

From what I have been told, in Canada for them to grant something like this, there had to be a decent amount of proof unlike the US where it is the word sometimes.

Draft is this Friday.

It will be interesting to see if the Senators give up their pick this year to the Avs or roll the dice that they will be better next year.

I know I am slow, but I just heard Trotz quit as Caps' coach! Is this move a demand for more money?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:23 am 

He had and out clause and used it. It's all about the money, he's due for a big payday. Top coaches salary have skyrocketed apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
He had and out clause and used it. It's all about the money, he's due for a big payday. Top coaches salary have skyrocketed apparently.

And to put numbers to it, he was on about $1.5M and guaranteed a 20% pay rise/extension if he won the Cup. So now he will get a whopping $1.8M if he wants it. So decided to walk to take the possible $2.5-3.5M he could get on the free market.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:28 pm 

Once again the Flames hired a new coach too soon. Should have hired AV or Trotz.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 pm 

Snooze wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

And to put numbers to it, he was on about $1.5M and guaranteed a 20% pay rise/extension if he won the Cup. So now he will get a whopping $1.8M if he wants it. So decided to walk to take the possible $2.5-3.5M he could get on the free market.

How much influence does a coach really have in hockey? More teams just roll four lines and three sets of D. Coaching is now probably more of a "communication" thing. If a coach gets a rep as a poor "communicator," he is done. The role of captains has changed, too. It used to be senior guys who knew their way around on and off the ice - a player who the younger guys could talk to. Agents are now primarily doing that role for players.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:39 pm 

canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

How much influence does a coach really have in hockey? More teams just roll four lines and three sets of D. Coaching is now probably more of a "communication" thing. If a coach gets a rep as a poor "communicator," he is done. The role of captains has changed, too. It used to be senior guys who knew their way around on and off the ice - a player who the younger guys could talk to. Agents are now primarily doing that role for players.

I think you're somewhat right about the coaches, but you have to add that they decide the style of play and ensure the players know their roles. But more importantly, I think the mid game changes are where they earn their keep. They should be able to spot changes in a current game plan that will improve their chances.

I still think older players play a more important role than agents in shaping young players lives. They spend 6-8 hours on a home day, and 24 hours on an away day with these guys. Agents are rarely on road trips.

Babcock and Quennville by far the highest paid coach - $6M+. Julien about $5M. Mclellan next in the $3M's.

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 pm 

6M salary for a coach. fudge. No wonder Trotz went to FA, can't blame him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 pm 

Snooze wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

I think you're somewhat right about the coaches, but you have to add that they decide the style of play and ensure the players know their roles. But more importantly, I think the mid game changes are where they earn their keep. They should be able to spot changes in a current game plan that will improve their chances.

I still think older players play a more important role than agents in shaping young players lives. They spend 6-8 hours on a home day, and 24 hours on an away day with these guys. Agents are rarely on road trips.

Babcock and Quennville by far the highest paid coach - $6M+. Julien about $5M. Mclellan next in the $3M's.

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

A business associate of mine out East is related to J. P. Barry. The players these days are always on the blower with their agents. The agents have to do a fair amount of long distance babysitting. In the good old bad old days, booze and girls would do in a young player. Now it is video games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
6M salary for a coach. fudge. No wonder Trotz went to FA, can't blame him.

Hockey Central saying Trotz is heading to the NY Islanders. If true, I cannot see the Isles losing Tavares.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:05 pm 

4m a season apparently, I agree Tavares will stay then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:58 pm 

Can you guys explain those statements above about Tavares? Why would he stay with the shittiest organisation who will never get a sniff of a cup (maybe even playoffs), just because they hired what appears to be a very good coach? Surely he's better off in a better organisation - which is any organisation without Garth snow in it.

I may be being naive - sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm 

Snooze wrote:
Can you guys explain those statements above about Tavares? Why would he stay with the shittiest organisation who will never get a sniff of a cup (maybe even playoffs), just because they hired what appears to be a very good coach? Surely he's better off in a better organisation - which is any organisation without Garth snow in it.

Pretty sure Garth Snow no longer has any power in the organization. That could be one reason. Money. That could be reason two. Better the devil you know? Reason three? Would you sign with Montreal? What legit options does he have? I cannot see Toronto signing him. Stamkos stayed in the "sunny state for shady people" instead of heading home. Owners are probably looking at Vegas and saying to their GMs what is going on there?

The Isles ditched their GM and coach for good reasons, and one of them is trying to keep its best player.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 pm 

canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:

Pretty sure Garth Snow no longer has any power in the organization. That could be one reason. Money. That could be reason two. Better the devil you know? Reason three? Would you sign with Montreal? What legit options does he have? I cannot see Toronto signing him. Stamkos stayed in the "sunny state for shady people" instead of heading home. Owners are probably looking at Vegas and saying to their GMs what is going on there?

The Isles ditched their GM and coach for good reasons, and one of them is trying to keep its best player.

Fair enough argument. Don't agree as reason 2 could be used both ways, and for reason 3 there's more options than the Habs (VGK, NAS, LAK or even SJ). But good points and we'll see where it goes. Pleased for Trotts though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm 

Snooze wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Snooze wrote:

Fair enough argument. Don't agree as reason 2 could be used both ways, and for reason 3 there's more options than the Habs (VGK, NAS, LAK or even SJ). But good points and we'll see where it goes. Pleased for Trotts though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 pm 

Yeah; the Islanders do have a bit of talent there. It is an organization that has had Snow and Milbury as GMs, only the Oilers' management can match them for ineptitude. But at least in NY people, finally, get the chop for doing a bad job.

Fair amount of trade talk before the draft tomorrow.

Are the Flames going to deal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 pm 

canuckles wrote:
Yeah; the Islanders do have a bit of talent there. It is an organization that has had Snow and Milbury as GMs, only the Oilers' management can match them for ineptitude. But at least in NY people, finally, get the chop for doing a bad job.

Fair amount of trade talk before the draft tomorrow.

Are the Flames going to deal?

There is chatter about Hamilton for Lindholm which would be interesting.

I reckon the move a Dman, either Brodie or Hamilton.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:49 pm 

Some post-draft update:

Canucks selected American D-Man Quinn Hughes.
Oilers selected Canadian D-Man Evan Bouchard.
With the Flames's pick, the Islanders selected Canadian D-Man Noah Dobson. Would have been fun if the Flames had the pick and selected Dobson. Oilers and Flames fans would have had at it.

Flames trade Hamilton, Ferland and prospect Fox to Hurricanes for Hanifin and Lindholm. BIG trade. I thought Hamilton played well last year and I like Ferland. The Flames get younger and softer. I can see why some organizations are always leery of having brothers on a team, especially when there is a huge gap in talent between them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:36 pm 

canuckles wrote:

Flames trade Hamilton, Ferland and prospect Fox to Hurricanes for Hanifin and Lindholm. BIG trade. I thought Hamilton played well last year and I like Ferland. The Flames get younger and softer. I can see why some organizations are always leery of having brothers on a team, especially when there is a huge gap in talent between them.

My thoughts:

Fox must had indicated he wouldn't sign or the Flames didn't like the risk. He has 2 yrs left on his degree and has indicated he is going to finish his time at Harvard. (as an aside the staying at school to get back on the market loopholes should be closed). While Fox looks good the NCAA is a long way off the NHL.

Hamilton was very good in the O-zone, in the D-zone he was pedestrian, and often took foolish penalties at bad times. Ferland sealed his fate over the 2nd half of the season, 2 goals in the second half. He was consistently inconsistent and that was his undoing. I hope he goes well in Carolina, his story is great, from playing Rec Hockey in PeeWee to overcoming the drink.

I will say I don't know a lot about those two coming back, I don't watch much 'Canes hockey, but the coach knows them. I don't reckon the deal goes through without talking to the coach first. One things this gets the Flames is more control over salary.

I am not worried about "softness", Hanifin can't be softer than Hamilton and Ferland wasn't chucking them much anymore (which makes me think he has some "head issues" or concerns).

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm 

hornets wrote:
canuckles wrote:

My thoughts:

Fox must had indicated he wouldn't sign or the Flames didn't like the risk. He has 2 yrs left on his degree and has indicated he is going to finish his time at Harvard. (as an aside the staying at school to get back on the market loopholes should be closed). While Fox looks good the NCAA is a long way off the NHL.

Hamilton was very good in the O-zone, in the D-zone he was pedestrian, and often took foolish penalties at bad times. Ferland sealed his fate over the 2nd half of the season, 2 goals in the second half. He was consistently inconsistent and that was his undoing. I hope he goes well in Carolina, his story is great, from playing Rec Hockey in PeeWee to overcoming the drink.

I will say I don't know a lot about those two coming back, I don't watch much 'Canes hockey, but the coach knows them. I don't reckon the deal goes through without talking to the coach first. One things this gets the Flames is more control over salary.

I am not worried about "softness", Hanifin can't be softer than Hamilton and Ferland wasn't chucking them much anymore (which makes me think he has some "head issues" or concerns).

Time will tell.

Lindholm is probably the key. The Flames needed another forward who can create chances and the team are likely pretty sure he can hit, say, 25 goals and 60 points in the right situation.

Peters likely had a huge say in the trade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:23 pm 

Burrows being bought out by Ottawa, nice to see Benning sell high on a player for once. Great trade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:07 pm 

CanNZ2000 wrote:
Burrows being bought out by Ottawa, nice to see Benning sell high on a player for once. Great trade.

Burrows and the word Great can't be used in the same post.

Burrows is and always has been a sack of shit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:15 pm 

Snooze was right and Tavares left the Islanders. New York signs a coach for 4 million a year and signs a new GM and loses their top player. Ooof. The Maple Leafs will now have Tavares, Matthews and Kadri as their top three centres.

Flames sign James Neal. Too much term, but if Calgary can get two/three good years from him, it will be enough.

Canucks sign a couple of fourth liners to four year contracts. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 am 

New season, new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86159

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7