Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Quitting sugar?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am 

Anyone done it or in the process of doing it?

I'm a month into it. Not all sugar obviously as most things contain some traces of sugar. Just any processed or added sugar. First week was average, I was really hungry and had headaches. Now I'm feeling really good, have more energy and am less hungry.

Post subject: Re: Quitting sugar?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 am 

Yeah, it's great.

Might have the odd bit of sugar when hungover but generally have no cravings for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:21 am 

cool story dickhead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 am 

We don’t use any added sugar in any dish, even when a recipe calls for it, never have it in coffee or tea, and have done this for 20 years now.

Neither my wife nor I have any taste for fizzy drinks and drink a lot of water.

I honestly can’t remember the changes but am sure we felt better at the time

Last edited by Kiwias on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:27 am 

Quit on Monday oddly enough. I don't feel like Superman yet but will go until the end of October and see if I feel better.

I was on 2 energy drinks a day. Have replaced that so far with water.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am 

I have not added sugar to drinks for the last 25 years. Not too keen on the fizzy stuff either.
Quite frankly, the sugar thing now seems a bit childish to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am 

You can tie this back into the drinking/ quitting threads also.

Mate of mine packed up booze and had shocking headaches every day for about two week. General concensus is it was suger withdrawal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 am 

Quitting sugar is up there with one of the best things you can do for your health.

Mog The Almighty wrote:
cool story dickhead.

What the genuine fudge?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

I'm a month into it. Not all sugar obviously as most things contain some traces of sugar. Just any processed or added sugar. First week was average, I was really hungry and had headaches. Now I'm feeling really good, have more energy and am less hungry.

I had to do it for 2 months in my teens due to constant migraines and stomach issues along with anything from a pig. Actually felt great at the end of it

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 am 

The Native wrote:
Quitting sugar is up there with one of the best things you can do for your health.

Mog The Almighty wrote:
cool story dickhead.

What the genuine fudge?

He's describing the story and himself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am 

Yeah, a few years ago as a result of a health promotion at work... gave up the only added sugar I indulged at that time in hot drinks but took more notice of food products with included sugar...

Energy levels have been pretty steady ever since, my mental state is probably more consistent too. I have worked long hours in hard conditions for years so I think I've probably tested the theory pretty well.

It's a good thing. Stick with it... follow up with a look at the general diet to support it as well.two thumbs up AC :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am 

J Man wrote:
Quit on Monday oddly enough. I don't feel like Superman yet but will go until the end of October and see if I feel better.

2 energy drinks a day? Bloody hell. I couldn't tell you the last time I drank a red bull or monster energy type thing. I some times see people on the train at 0630 drinking it and it never ceases to amaze me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 am 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
J Man wrote:

2 energy drinks a day? Bloody hell. I couldn't tell you the last time I drank a red bull or monster energy type thing. I some times see people on the train at 0630 drinking it and it never ceases to amaze me.

I was the same, I would have a 500mL Redbull or V every lunchtime. Just love that sour taste more than the caffeine hit. Stopped about 9 months ago, now I have a 6 pack instead of a gut. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am 

Quitting adding sugar to things is easy

Or are you meaning sugar as carbohydrates like bread, rice etc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am 

I've done it before and felt nothing with no real weight loss either. I was hoping for this bounce as mentioned above so just went back to eating choc ices randomly as I passed a shop after lunch.

Last edited by Rumham on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 am 

Nope. Can't go without brandy and coke. The drink of kings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:16 am 

Real men eat sugar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 am 

le chat wrote:

If you quit carbs such as bread/rice etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 am 

irishrugbyua wrote:
le chat wrote:

If you quit carbs such as bread/rice etc.

that diet makes me feel worse due to the high amount of fat you need to eat. I don't perform as well when training either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am 

le chat wrote:

Yeah I haven't eaten any bread, pasta, rice, wheat products etc either. As you infer, these hit your bloodstream like you were eating white sugar straight out of the jar.

One of the surprise benefits was that I have subsequently discovered that my digestive system didn't react well to wheat products and that I had an undiagnosed intolerance. I just thought that I had IBS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 am 

I'm 3 months in to a low sugar and low carbs diet and feeling good for it. I find it easy enough to just eat meat, greens, carrots, peanuts etc. I haven't touched potatoes, crisps, rice, pasta or beer. So there's virtually zero sugar going in to my system other than naturally produced in carrots etc.

I do have a bottle of wine at weekends though which surely can't help, and I really miss haribo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:

Yeah I haven't eaten any bread, pasta, rice, wheat products etc either. As you infer, these hit your bloodstream like you were eating white sugar straight out of the jar.

One of the surprise benefits was that I have subsequently discovered that my digestive system didn't react well to wheat products and that I had an undiagnosed intolerance. I just thought that I had IBS.

Do items like home-made bread with stone ground whole meal flour with no added sugar or wild rice also include sugar?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 am 

Kiwias wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:

Do items like home-made bread with stone ground whole meal flour with no added sugar or wild rice also include sugar?

Carbs are sugar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am 

le chat wrote:
Carbs are sugar

Ehhhh....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:15 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:

When you get bored of it try just adding potatoes as your carbs because it may just be the benefit from seemingly being gluten intolerant.

How long have you been doing this diet for? I've never been able to keep it up long term, and i've never really regained my love of avocados and eggs after eating them so often on the high fat diet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 am 

Nolanator wrote:
le chat wrote:
Carbs are sugar

Ehhhh....

Carbohydrate and sugar are interchangeable terms

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:17 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

I've been 'banting' for well over a year, (HFLC - high fat low carb).

It's bit more more than just refined sugars, it's all the carbs. will never go back. I'd recommend to anyone. Dropped 12 kg in the first 6 months, holding steady at 84kg with only moderate exercise.

My only real consistent cheat is wine.

Lots of meat and veg, eggs and cheese.

Avoid the takeaways and most things that come packaged in plastic and anything advertised as 'low fat'.

Most people find the move away from bread, pasta, potatoes and rice the hard part as those tend to be the 'fillers'.

Last edited by Insane_Homer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 am 

le chat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
le chat wrote:
Carbs are sugar

Ehhhh....

They're not the same thing. Sugars are a subset of carbohydrates; they're short chain carbs. They both get broken down into simple sugars in the body before being used as a source of energy, but they have different physiological effects in terms of insulin spikes etc.

Sugar is a specific term, not a generic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 am 

Generally eat really well. Last month though after a family holiday where cakes/biscuits/pudding was the order of the day, I felt really bad. Completely cut it out this month, only 10 days in but feel good for it. Not obsessing about it in an ingredients list for an otherwise ok occasional savoury thing like the odd pizza.

Have a relative who is absolutely convinced they are 'allergic' to sugar. Going out to eat with them is a nightmare, so I don't. Scoffs honey though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am 

le chat wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:

When you get bored of it try just adding potatoes as your carbs because it may just be the benefit from seemingly being gluten intolerant.

How long have you been doing this diet for? I've never been able to keep it up long term, and i've never really regained my love of avocados and eggs after eating them so often on the high fat diet

I've been going a month. My plan is to restrict the processed sugars for the rest of my life. Things like desserts, fizzy drinks, juice, chocolate bars etc. Also the wheat products given the above-mentioned benefits that seems to be having. I am eating lots of veges, sweet potato, beans, chick peas etc and lots of protein/fats. What I am liking about this current regime is that I still eat decent sized portions and I am never hungry.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:21 am 

Nolanator wrote:
le chat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
le chat wrote:
Carbs are sugar

Ehhhh....

They're not the same thing. Sugars are a subset of carbohydrates; they're short chain carbs. They both get broken down into simple sugars in the body before being used as a source of energy, but they have different physiological effects in terms of insulin spikes etc.

in the context of this thread they're interchangeable terms. You couldn't do a low sugar diet eating starches could you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am 

le chat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
le chat wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
le chat wrote:
Carbs are sugar

Ehhhh....

in the context of this thread they're interchangeable terms. You couldn't do a low sugar diet eating starches could you.

Yes. Yes you could.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am 

<25g carbs per day = Ketosis.

You train you body to use and burn fat as the primary energy source.

Last edited by Insane_Homer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:

I've been going a month. My plan is to restrict the processed sugars for the rest of my life. Things like desserts, fizzy drinks, juice, chocolate bars etc. Also the wheat products given the above-mentioned benefits that seems to be having. I am eating lots of veges, sweet potato, beans, chick peas etc and lots of protein/fats. What I am liking about this current regime is that I still eat decent sized portions and I am never hungry.

So it's more of a healthy gluten free diet, which is an excellent choice, as you have sweet potato in there don't discard the white potato which has been demonised for the wrong reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Were you eating the same amount of these foods before your current "stricter" diet, when you suffered the IBS symptoms?

Often people cut out wheat based foods on the basis that gluten is bad for some people and start to feel better. They then assume that they have a mild gluten intolerance. What actually happens is that they don't over-indulge on pasta/bread etc. and eat more fresh veg as part of their diet awareness. Hence, they feel better.
The lack of wheat based foodstuffs isn't the reason, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Yes. Yes you could.

Well good luck with that one :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:32 am 

Cutting out sugar = low carb diet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
le chat wrote:

You have not mentioned fruit in either list.
The first time I tried low carb I did it without fruit, the second was with fruit.
I was very successful the first time in losing weight, but was happier that my body was functioning better the second time with the fruit.
Although I did not lose as much weight the second time, I did feel that if I was to maintain a long term low carb diet, I should do it including fruit. I'll have to get back to doing one soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 am 

le chat wrote:
So it's more of a healthy gluten free diet, which is an excellent choice, as you have sweet potato in there don't discard the white potato which has been demonised for the wrong reasons.

I guess so. My original plan was simply just to cut out all added or processed sugar, and I added things like bread, pasta because I'd heard they are processed in a similar way to processed sugar. Probably what I miss most is adding sugar to Asian style sauces.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am 

Leinster in London wrote:
You have not mentioned fruit in either list.
The first time I tried low carb I did it without fruit, the second was with fruit.
I was very successful the first time in losing weight, but was happier that my body was functioning better the second time with the fruit.
Although I did not lose as much weight the second time, I did feel that if I was to maintain a long term low carb diet, I should do it including fruit. I'll have to get back to doing one soon.

I'm eating a moderate amount of fruit. I have a smoothie that contains a banana, some berries, baby spinach leaves and plain Greek yogurt as my dessert/sweet treat every night. This wasn't really about losing weight as simply cutting back on sugar, but I have noticed clothes are getting a bit looser. I agree that longterm cutting out fruit would be really hard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 377 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next