Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quitting sugar?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 am 

We have a scientist here in town who made the news some time ago already (might be a year or more), showing that sugar, when given the choice to rats, was found more addicting than cocaine . :shock:

Not surprised the food industry is adding some everywhere in their products.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm 

It’s either medicine or poison.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm 

Whatever wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Just a question for Ali (and others quitting sugar) are you seriously quitting sugar by either a. following the formal I Quit Sugar Diet or b. avoiding all processed foods and/scrupulously checking the sugar content of all the foods you are eating?

The reason I ask is that I have had friends that have claimed to quit sugar but in reality all they are doing is avoiding the obvious sugar in their diets. i.e. no sugar in their tea/coffee, avoiding sweets, biscuits, cake etc. They are still eating processed white bread, mayonnaise, tomato sauce, bake beans etc Foods that often contain significant amounts of hidden sugar.

To my mind truly quitting sugar would pretty much just leave meat, fish, chicken, eggs, vegetables and a moderate amount of fruit. Cheese? Dairy?

Just curious?

I'm currently in the midst of a low carb/no sugar diet. I have for the past month or so primarily eaten meat and veg with some cheese and milk (two eggs for breakfast, chicken or beef salad for lunch and another meat plus veggies for tea). Alongside some moderate exercise, I have lost 7kg (and am hoping to get to 10kg+ before the end of November).

However, I don't go out of my way to avoid surgery things like the plague. If its someones birthday, and there's cake on the go, I'll have a slice. I also love my HP brown sauce, which has a fair bit of a sugar in it...but the way I see it, it's only a sauce, and if you are going to do this sort of thing, you've got to be able to do it consistently and for a long time, so cutting all sugar will just lead to falling off the wagon.
Simply put, it's not going to work if it makes you miserable...so find a combination that doesn't make it miserable.

Couple of questions.

1. Did you exercise before and if so, how vigorously?
2. Has your approach to alcohol changed? If so, how?

I'd also like to ask if you could specify 'low carb'? No bread, no rice, no pasta or selected amounts of some of these?

Great effort losing 7kg in a month BTW.

No carbs for me whatsoever. Having said that, and with regards to the above, I haven't been completely 'on it'. I went out for my anniversary meal last Tuesday, which was a proper 3 course meal, and I had a glass of wine.

Having said that though, that's the only bit of alcohol that's passed my lips in about a month and a half.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:33 pm 

Day 23 - unbelievable energy levels, really noticing and feeling the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 pm 

Sefton wrote:
Fashion diets, you’re no better than my missus with her handbags:

Not a diet, fashion or otherwise; you eat as much as you like but don't eat processed foods and sugar

I started cutting out processed carbs & sugars about 18 months ago.
I wasn't overweight but I had read about trail runners who were on variants of the so-called Paleo diet (protein, full fat & green veg)
and who had reported significantly increased endurance and, most importantly, an enhanced 'karma factor' during long runs.
What does that mean? Less effort, more energy, experiencing & enjoying the scenery and environment, not head down, tunnel-vision focus on grinding out each stride.
Even more importantly, they reported large reduction in injuries, particularly inflammation-related soft-tissue injuries (I have a history of calf & Achilles problems).
Tim Noakes, the former guru of carbs for endurance athletes and exposer of the sport drink myth, is a convert to fat rather than carbs for fuel.

I did the MAF method (Phil Maffetone) 2 week test https://philmaffetone.com/2-week-test/ as much of protein, fats & green veg as you like
(alcohol = small amounts of whisky, vodka, gin and dry wines) and no sugar products including fruits, fructose or processed foods.

If you're a runner you combine this with heart rate training (180 - your age = your fat-buring heart rate).

For me this was a ridiculously low 124. it would have been 119 but I was able to add +5 because I was trained, fit & injury free.
To train your body to burn fat for fuel you don't exceed that heart rate. I improved during the 2 weeks but was still far from being able to do the trails, fields & forests I like
within the prescribed heart rate.

I subsequently found out that an adjustment can be made for 60+ who have been doing endurance sport for a long time (add another 5-7 bpm). It's amazing what I can do
now at 135 bpm (basically what I was able to do 2 years ago at 150+ bpm)
Once you've trained your body to burn fat for fuel (and I haven't done that fully yet) you supposedly experience the benefits described above.

After the 2 week test you add natural & unprocessed carbs gradually back to your diet and see how you feel (eg, bloated, fatigued = that source of carbs not a good idea).

I have cut out almost all processed carbs (and I was a lover of eg, good bread & pasta & kettle-style crisps) but I don't miss it.
I still have several pints of good ale or Guinness per month and will probably never give that up. Anyway it's not about no carbs but rather low & natural carbs and no sugar products
(I'll also never give up fruit).

I have Haglund's (heel spur) at the moment but am having that removed in January. After that I intend to go full on fat for fuel and see whether I experience the nirvana that Noakes and others have described

Again, I didn't have any health problems (apart from inflammation-related soft tissue niggles, and the
heel problem-calcium deposits on the calcaneus which form an irritating bone spur-may well have had its origin in carb/sugar-related inflammation).
Nor was I overweight, although I have dropped about 2-3 Kg (now 6'2" 82-83 kg, a little under 13 stone)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:29 pm 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 5400977031

£1.19 today
I Quit Sugar: Your Complete 8-Week Detox Program and Cookbook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:18 am 

True Blue wrote:
Weet-bix. High fibre, low salt, low sugar. Throw in a few fruit pieces on top and you've got a tasty and healthy meal. :thumbup:

No one is taking advice from the guy with fatty liver.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:27 am 

True Blue wrote:
Weet-bix. High fibre, low salt, low sugar. Throw in a few fruit pieces on top and you've got a tasty and healthy meal. :thumbup:

Nope, not low sugar and the fruit makes it worse.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/to ... breakfast/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:23 am 

I'm right in the middle of Christmas Party season, but I am finding sticking to a low sugar/no added processed sugar regime quite easy. I guess it is because I have been doing this for ten weeks now. No desserts (last Saturday I ordered a cheese plate with sliced apple instead of crackers), no sweets/chocolates and vodka and sodas to drink. After an initial burst my weight loss seems to have slowed down but I am still down 4 shirt sizes and 6cm in the waist in my work pants over a ten week period. Expensive as I have had to replace all my work shirts twice and my work trousers once. Haven't weighed myself at all, but am noticing changes through my clothes. One added and unexpected bonus is that I am finding that my libido is much higher than it was previously.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:25 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
...but am noticing changes through my clothes. One added and unexpected bonus is that I am finding that my libido is much higher than it was previously.

We really don't want to to know about how visible your erections are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:49 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
...but am noticing changes through my clothes. One added and unexpected bonus is that I am finding that my libido is much higher than it was previously.

We really don't want to to know about how visible your erections are.

Ha ha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:52 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I'm right in the middle of Christmas Party season, but I am finding sticking to a low sugar/no added processed sugar regime quite easy. I guess it is because I have been doing this for ten weeks now. No desserts (last Saturday I ordered a cheese plate with sliced apple instead of crackers), no sweets/chocolates and vodka and sodas to drink. After an initial burst my weight loss seems to have slowed down but I am still down 4 shirt sizes and 6cm in the waist in my work pants over a ten week period. Expensive as I have had to replace all my work shirts twice and my work trousers once. Haven't weighed myself at all, but am noticing changes through my clothes. One added and unexpected bonus is that I am finding that my libido is much higher than it was previously.

4 shirt sizes ... like you went from XXL to Small? :D

Libido, eh? Get in, mate! ;)

10lbs in 4 weeks for me. Very little exercise still as something keeps coming up after school, which is the only time I can use the gym. Those days I have, I've not felt the cravings to take in more food than I would on a non-exercise day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:56 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

4 shirt sizes ... like you went from XXL to Small? :D

No, from a 48 to a 44.

I have gone from a XXXL to a XXL, but won't get much smaller than that because of my frame and shoulders, at very best an XL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:11 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

Well done, your first weight loss on low carbs is water. you need a lot less water in your system if you are not processing a lot of sugar/carbs. Steady and slow weightloss is best, your body will keep stabilizing\plateauing

A good line on the festive season is "it isn't what you do over Christmas/new years, it is what you do from new years to Christmas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:17 am 

_fatprop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Well done, your first weight loss on low carbs is water. you need a lot less water in your system if you are not processing a lot of sugar/carbs. Steady and slow weightloss is best, your body will keep stabilizing\plateauing

A good line on the festive season is "it isn't what you do over Christmas/new years, it is what you do from new years to Christmas

Cheers, yeah I'm happy with slow, gradual weight loss. I'm not after anything dramatic, I after sustainability. And i genuinely believe that my current eating and exercise habits are sustainable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 am 

I had been taking Pizotifen for about 6 years, not realising that a side effect was weight gain due to increased appetite. Hence, I was always hungry and put on about 12 Kg (I was already a couple of kg overweight). Stopped taking them a couple of months ago and have lost over 7kg just by making sure my calorie intake is less than what I am burning, with the odd 'fasting day' thrown in. I like my carbs, so I haven't taken cakes/biscuits/bread etc., out of my diet but have reduced them somewhat, along with everything else.

I was targeting a loss of 1kg per month but have been exceeding it by too much recently - to the extent that I've started relaxing the diet a bit. Aim to lose another 6-7kg by next cricket season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:36 am 

ovalball wrote:
I had been taking Pizotifen for about 6 years, not realising that a side effect was weight gain due to increased appetite. Hence, I was always hungry and put on about 12 Kg (I was already a couple of kg overweight). Stopped taking them a couple of months ago and have lost over 7kg just by making sure my calorie intake is less than what I am burning, with the odd 'fasting day' thrown in. I like my carbs, so I haven't taken cakes/biscuits/bread etc., out of my diet but have reduced them somewhat, along with everything else.

I was targeting a loss of 1kg per month but have been exceeding it by too much recently - to the extent that I've started relaxing the diet a bit. Aim to lose another 6-7kg by next cricket season.

This is turning into another Womack's diet thread circa dontcaremuch 2008. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
ovalball wrote:

This is turning into another Womack's diet thread circa dontcaremuch 2008. :thumbup:

:lol:

Just demonstrating that you don't need to give up sugar/carbs. In fact, you shouldn't do it. 1/3rd of your diet should be in starchy carbs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:22 am 

ovalball wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Just demonstrating that you don't need to give up sugar/carbs. In fact, you shouldn't do it. 1/3rd of your diet should be in starchy carbs.

:thumbup: I agree. I haven't given up on carbs. I eat sweet potato like its crack.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:41 am 

Shit- just stood on the scales! Think I need to start the low carb/no sugar diet now. Been going to the gym 3-4 times a week doing 30 mins aerobic and 45+ mins weights for last 8 weeks and I've put weight on. Combination of more muscle and bigger appetite. Problem is I have a curry night, a couple of xmas parties and a few beers night coming up! Just got to hold it together until my Dryathalon starts in January, alway close a few kgs not drinking!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:14 am 

Day 30 - this has been a huge success, lightest weight i've been in over a decade, I think I lost approx a stone, mostly fat and gained some muscle.

cheated one day in terms of carb/sugar intake, which resulted in me carrying some extra water weight.

Goal now is to get under 100kg, which isn't far off - approx 102.5kg right now at 190cm.

Start of the month I was approx 108kg.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:10 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
ovalball wrote:

:thumbup: I agree. I haven't given up on carbs. I eat sweet potato like its crack.

One of nature's super veggies - very healthy and very tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:01 am 

Okay, so I have one more Christmas party left to circumnavigate to get through the pre-Christmas festive season staying sugar free. So far so good, I have drunk only vodka and soda water and avoided any sweet desserts (cheese plate with gluten free condiments for desserts over the past two dinners out). Christmas itself won't be an issue, and I am finding that it's not too difficult to stay sugar free whilst eating out at resturants. Had to go out and buy a whole new set of business shirts today as I am now down to size 42. Was wearing size 48 before I started eating healthier by cutting processed sugar out of my duet completely. Still a fat bastard, but quite a bit less fat.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Okay, so I have one more Christmas party left to circumnavigate to get through the pre-Christmas festive season staying sugar free. So far so good, I have drunk only vodka and soda water and avoided any sweet desserts (cheese plate with gluten free condiments for desserts over the past two dinners out). Christmas itself won't be an issue, and I am finding that it's not too difficult to stay sugar free whilst eating out at resturants. Had to go out and buy a whole new set of business shirts today as I am now down to size 42. Was wearing size 48 before I started eating healthier by cutting processed sugar out of my duet completely. Still a fat bastard, but quite a bit less fat.

:thumbup: Well done! And keeping it up during the festive season is impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 am 

I've been following a ketogenic diet the last two weeks. I'm not monitoring weight loss thus far. It's 2121 on a Sunday night as I post this. Have just had a massive steak and a huge caeser salad for dinner before embarking on a 5 day fast before my work Christmas dinner.

No sugar during that two week period. I have been having diet/sugar free fizzy drinks though. Will be interesting consuming only water and black coffee the next five days.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:41 am 

U wot? Coffee and water for the next FIVE days?

Fvcking hell. Good luck with that man.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:40 am 

The Native wrote:
I've been following a ketogenic diet the last two weeks. I'm not monitoring weight loss thus far. It's 2121 on a Sunday night as I post this. Have just had a massive steak and a huge caeser salad for dinner before embarking on a 5 day fast before my work Christmas dinner.

No sugar during that two week period. I have been having diet/sugar free fizzy drinks though. Will be interesting consuming only water and black coffee the next five days.

I've always been interesting in people who fast regularly. Especially in regards to the positive impact it has on blood sugar and blood pressure. Whilst I am not diabetic, I am Polynesian and high blood sugar and hypertension are two things that we need to constantly be aware of. Keep us posted about how your 5 day fast goes :thumbup:

I'm not sure that I could ever fast though, I enjoy eating too much and I get irritable when I am hungry. Although I suspect that it's probably a bit like cutting out sugar, hard at first but gets easier over time?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:51 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
The Native wrote:

I've always been interesting in people who fast regularly. Especially in regards to the positive impact it has on blood sugar and blood pressure. Whilst I am not diabetic, I am Polynesian and high blood sugar and hypertension are two things that we need to constantly be aware of. Keep us posted about how your 5 day fast goes :thumbup:

I'm not sure that I could ever fast though, I enjoy eating too much and I get irritable when I am hungry. Although I suspect that it's probably a bit like cutting out sugar, hard at first but gets easier over time?

Hopefully he has the strength to type.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:54 am 

jdogscoop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
The Native wrote:

I'm feeling ill just thinking about The Native going five days without food. In saying that, intermittent fasters swear by it as a way of maintaining their health, and there is significant data that suggests it does good things to your insides, and blood health in particular.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:28 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
The Native wrote:

I'm feeling ill just thinking about The Native going five days without food. In saying that, intermittent fasters swear by it as a way of maintaining their health, and there is significant data that suggests it does good things to your insides, and blood health in particular.

'Intermittent fasting' doesn't normally mean fasting for 5 days - most plans suggest fasting for 2, non consecutive, 24 hour periods per week - eg from dinner one day until dinner the next - and keeping calorie intake to <500KgCal for the fasting days. I find it works quite well for me because I find it easier than trying to cut down on all meals, all the time - and you don't need to change what you eat.

Not sure that not eating for 5 days is a healthy approach.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:21 pm 

jdogscoop wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
The Native wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:35 pm 

I've done 48 and 72 hour fasts in the past. I did it when I was feeling bloated or just generally unhealthy in the digestive tract. Drink plenty of water and get 8 hours sleep and the hunger pangs, for me, only lasted the first 24 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:46 pm 

Mon to Friday I generally only eat once a day.

I've never been much of a breakfast person and now impossible with my early starts, don't even have time for a coffee before leaving the house anymore.

Not ideal, but also not any real hassle.

no breakfast, most days no lunch, no snacks. Costa coffee after I get off the train, then another black coffee before 9am.

If I do feel hungry during the work day I'll pop out for a avocado, prawn cocktail or omelettes.The occasional bunless burger/Nandos and sweet potato fries.

Full High Fat low carb dinner at around 6pm, then snacks of cheese, nuts and/or dark chocolate.

Weekend is scrambles eggs and bacon for breakfast, often then skip lunch and usual dinner and/or roast on Sundays.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:41 pm 

The Native wrote:
I've done 48 and 72 hour fasts in the past. I did it when I was feeling bloated or just generally unhealthy in the digestive tract. Drink plenty of water and get 8 hours sleep and the hunger pangs, for me, only lasted the first 24 hours.

Would five days be at the upper end of what intermittent fasters might attempt? I look forward to hearing about how it went for you, and how you felt during and after.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:44 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
I've never been much of a breakfast person and now impossible with my early starts, don't even have time for a coffee before leaving the house anymore.

Not being a smart arse or anything, but can't you just get up 15 minutes earlier so that you can have breakfast every day? I'm an early riser myself, but I have found eating breakfast crucial to healthy eating. Otherwise I am hungry and prone to snacking.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:53 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
The Native wrote:

Would five days be at the upper end of what intermittent fasters might attempt? I look forward to hearing about how it went for you, and how you felt during and after.

I don't know to be honest. I think most followers of intermittent fasting only eat during a 6 hour window in a 24 hour day. That could be as simple as skipping breakfast, having a late lunch and dinner at a normal time for them. Those following the 5:2 diet eat normally five days a week and the other days restrict their calorific intake to under 500 calories.

From my fasts in the past, I've had slight variations in how I felt physical and my mood but during all of them I've had increased mental focus and acuity and when well rested, consistent energy levels.

Here's a article from a guys that did a 5 day fast - https://www.nateliason.com/5-day-water- ... -benefits/

Interesting reading.

So far the I've felt slightly hungry, to be expected and had a bout a litre of water. And I had a bit of a headache as I had a few vodka's with sugar free fizzy watching the Wales versus Springbok game before bed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:59 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:

Not being a smart arse or anything, but can't you just get up 15 minutes earlier so that you can have breakfast every day? I'm an early riser myself, but I have found eating breakfast crucial to healthy eating. Otherwise I am hungry and prone to snacking.

That's interesting, I never eat breakfast and find that it helps me have a better grip on when I'm actually hungry and when it's just a food craving. I have a coffee in the morning and then nothing until an early lunch at around 11:30 or so (I'm lucky in that we have a proper kitchen at work so I can cook and omelette or something).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:03 am 

So it's 24 hours into my fast. I'm not sure why but this first day has been really easy for me. There has been the occasional hunger pang, but not the deep pervasive hunger that you might expect. I'v probably drunk about 2 to 2.5 litres, but I'm not keeping track. I'll take salt dissolved in water as one of the affects of fasting and drinking an increased amount of water is that your body rids itself of salt quite rapidly. I'll be interested to see my sleep is affected. I do recall that I felt I slept better last time I fasted and my sleep quality has been poor lately. I haven't been obsessing about food, I even browsed the menu of the restaurant we are going to this Friday and there were no urges or cravings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 am 

The Native wrote:
So it's 24 hours into my fast. I'm not sure why but this first day has been really easy for me. There has been the occasional hunger pang, but not the deep pervasive hunger that you might expect. I'v probably drunk about 2 to 2.5 litres, but I'm not keeping track. I'll take salt dissolved in water as one of the affects of fasting and drinking an increased amount of water is that your body rids itself of salt quite rapidly. I'll be interested to see my sleep is affected. I do recall that I felt I slept better last time I fasted and my sleep quality has been poor lately. I haven't been obsessing about food, I even browsed the menu of the restaurant we are going to this Friday and there were no urges or cravings.

:thumbup: I wonder if the lack of hunger pangs is because you have fasted previously? Your comment about salt is a good one, we don't often realise how important salt is to our functioning because we generally have so much salt in our diet that we rarely have to keep tabs on it. Keep the updates coming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next