Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
Ill be sure to wear something Welsh then.....

I am assuming you are a lady, but I don’t actually know for sure....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Bobcock wrote:
Ill be sure to wear something Welsh then.....

I am assuming you are a lady, but I don’t actually know for sure....


Nah, despite my reputation here I'm not actually a girl :lol: Mixed race and have unshaven stubble right now :)

Post where you are when your there and I'll search you and the wife out :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
eldanielfire wrote:
Bobcock wrote:
Ill be sure to wear something Welsh then.....

I am assuming you are a lady, but I don’t actually know for sure....


Nah, despite my reputation here I'm not actually a girl :lol: Mixed race and have unshaven stubble right now :)




So with all our back and forths, I'm going to have to stop picturing you as a generic brown haired white fella (probably safe to say most of the bored fits this simple description). :)

If it helps, I am one of those but with light brown hair and a well trimmed ginger beard.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
eldanielfire wrote:
Bobcock wrote:
Ill be sure to wear something Welsh then.....

I am assuming you are a lady, but I don’t actually know for sure....


Nah, despite my reputation here I'm not actually a girl :lol: Mixed race and have unshaven stubble right now :)

Post where you are when your there and I'll search you and the wife out :)


Will do, we are a 15 minute walk from there, plan to leave just before 13:00


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
Just left home. Be there in 20 minutes.

I have a WRU jacket on black and have an orange and black back pack with my camera in.

Will be near the bar at first


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Brill Im here just sat by the top of their stairs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
I'm in the bar or just outside on corner flag


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Back now. Cheers Bobcock, it was great meeting you. Looking forward to heading down again. :thumbup:

Great game, that last 20 minutes was intense, the crowd was so into it (despite being freezing cold) Quins coulda, shoulda and woulda won it if they weren't so keen to rush quick taps when their scrum was on top 5 meters from the line near the end. Small margins as always but can't deny either team could have won it and be deserving of the win. Great game, great occasion having pints with Bobcock and those lovely chips and sausage baguettes the club does.


And best of all I even got to have a lovely chat with Sarah Hunter in the bar after the game. She's genuinely a slovely in real life as she is on TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
Thought it was there for the taking if Quins were only more patient. A few rushed decisions / passes, too many pick and goes into traffic near the end. Thought they were hard done by with the quick tap that became a knock-on, because there's no way Sarries were on the goal line when the tap happened. That said, ref seemed to rob Sarries of a steal late when she called it 'unplayable' and gave Quins a scrum. Such is rugby, I guess.

If I'd known you were going to meet Sarah Hunter, I'd have said "Could you tell her to stop saying 'in the right part of the pitch'"? At times, sounded too much like a Dallaglio or an over-coached Welsh player. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
:lol:

It was a nice chat. It started just after I nearly knocked my pint over her pregnant friend (who said I was just teasing her as she can't drink) . She's on crutches at the moment, I asked if she was injured but she says it's just the end of season wear and tear she's recovering. She says England have no summer tests (:() so women's rugby won't return until September and the next Premiership Season. She said how she's got big ambitions for Loughborough and how coming one place from the play-offs was great for them considering they had no team pre-season and therefore no pre-season training of note, so it was hard for the team to come together. She is sure with a pre-season and some recruitment they have planned along with the amazing facilities at "luffbra" they will be a threat next season. I didn't mention the conspiracy theories and rumours about the Luffbra vs Lichfield situation ;) Though we did discuss how Worcester got gutted. She thinks it was entirely down to Gloucester-Hartpury which produced most of Worcester's players.

We also spoke about the explosion of talent in women's rugby and she said it was both great for her as they youth really energise the teams and are full of quality making everyone raise their game, but also she said she feels the heat of competition for places and joked she hopes they aren't too good just for the next 3 years for her sake. She also very kindly thanked me for the support after we took pictures together.

Can I add Bobcock took some amazing pictures at the game. A few very funny ones as well of Marley Packer and Shaunagh Brown. He had no credentials, but he looked like one of the professionals with his top notch Camera so got to wonder around with the players celebrating, half of whom kept asking him to take their pictures :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
Hopefully he'll share a link! I'm a keen photog myself (not great, but not bad). Love capturing (or cropping if need-be) those moments that add more drama than just your typical player doing typical rugby thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Bobcock wrote:
Ill be sure to wear something Welsh then.....

I am assuming you are a lady, but I don’t actually know for sure....


Nah, despite my reputation here I'm not actually a girl :lol: Mixed race and have unshaven stubble right now :)




So with all our back and forths, I'm going to have to stop picturing you as a generic brown haired white fella (probably safe to say most of the bored fits this simple description). :)

If it helps, I am one of those but with light brown hair and a well trimmed ginger beard.


I tend to do that a swell, or their mental image is the avatar they have. I can't imagine you without a headband right now.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
:lol:

If you ever browse the military pics thread, I look a lot like the colourized pic of the bearded Kiwi officer with pipe. I should alter my avatar now that I think about it. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11108
Location: 雪の街
Quote:
An England Women U18 sevens squad who represented Great Britain U18 were beaten 22-0 by France in the final of Rugby Europe U18 Championship in Vichy.

The tournament also doubled up as a Youth Olympic qualifier.

A total of 16 teams competed in the qualifier, with France securing a place at the Youth Olympic Games which takes place in Buenos Aires, Argentina in October this year.


Apparently Japan, Canada, NZ, Colombia and now France are qualified through regional tournaments so far. The other spot will be filled by the African qualifer, so just 6 teams are taking part.

Argentina as hosts can only enter one team so they opted for the men's tourney.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
Thoroughly enjoyable game, Harlequins must be kicking themselves, the gam,e was theirs for the taking but a lack of composure by the half back cost them.

Photo conditions were excellent especially with this level of rugby being much easier to photograph that the Uni rugby I am used to.....

Some samples

Image

Image

Image

The Collection. http://ardmawrphotography.zenfolio.com/p964599479


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
Great photos! ... love the face on Burford as the ref is waving off a try. :lol:

I spoke earlier about capturing the emotion of a match in photos and #113 is probably my fav. It's the sort of thing you stage for a movie. Nicely captured, mate!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11108
Location: 雪の街
Quote:
Danielle Waterman: England's World Cup winner retires from Test rugby

England World Cup-winner Danielle Waterman has announced her retirement from international rugby.

The 33-year-old full-back and wing won 82 caps during a 15-year international career and scored 47 tries for England. Waterman played in four World Cups, scoring in the 2014 final as England beat Canada to lift the trophy in Paris.

"It has been an incredible journey and a true honour to be a Red Rose for the past 15 years," said Waterman.

"Its been a huge privilege to have not only played alongside and against some of the best players in the world, but to have been part of the huge development and progression of women's international rugby to date.

"Winning the World Cup in 2014 was definitely a dream come true and to beat New Zealand for the first time in 16 years and go world number one was amazing, and to do it with the support of the Lions crowd was amazing."

Waterman is sixth on the all-time list of England women's appearances with her 82 caps, and also played sevens for Team GB at the 2016 Olympic Games. The full-back, who missed out on playing in a fourth World Cup final in 2017 after being ruled out with concussion, only lost one Six Nations game during her England career, against France earlier this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2456
Great pictures :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Bobcock wrote:
Thoroughly enjoyable game, Harlequins must be kicking themselves, the gam,e was theirs for the taking but a lack of composure by the half back cost them.

Photo conditions were excellent especially with this level of rugby being much easier to photograph that the Uni rugby I am used to.....

Some samples

The Collection. http://ardmawrphotography.zenfolio.com/p964599479



Great pictures mate. I'm glad the freezing cold was great for your Camera. But it forced me to have that 2nd sausage baguette for warmth.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
I watch you eat it jealously having been limited to half of one for the day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
tabascoboy wrote:
Quote:
Danielle Waterman: England's World Cup winner retires from Test rugby

England World Cup-winner Danielle Waterman has announced her retirement from international rugby.

The 33-year-old full-back and wing won 82 caps during a 15-year international career and scored 47 tries for England. Waterman played in four World Cups, scoring in the 2014 final as England beat Canada to lift the trophy in Paris.

"It has been an incredible journey and a true honour to be a Red Rose for the past 15 years," said Waterman.

"Its been a huge privilege to have not only played alongside and against some of the best players in the world, but to have been part of the huge development and progression of women's international rugby to date.

"Winning the World Cup in 2014 was definitely a dream come true and to beat New Zealand for the first time in 16 years and go world number one was amazing, and to do it with the support of the Lions crowd was amazing."

Waterman is sixth on the all-time list of England women's appearances with her 82 caps, and also played sevens for Team GB at the 2016 Olympic Games. The full-back, who missed out on playing in a fourth World Cup final in 2017 after being ruled out with concussion, only lost one Six Nations game during her England career, against France earlier this year.


I'm generally saddened and shocked. She is still the best Fullback in the world and her try saver in the 1st game of the semi's of the Premiership shows she is still rapid as f#ck! I still see her footwork and defense as without equal int he game. I wonder why she called it time now? Maybe she see's she has a world cup, has seen the women's game move onto a brighter stage and her successor are in place she feel mission accomplished? Either way my favorite player to often watch:



I can go back to my chat with Sarah Hunter on Sunday and there is a feeling that the hot young talent that is being churned out now is really making the older players feel the heat now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Bobcock wrote:
I watch you eat it jealously having been limited to half of one for the day.



I can't say I wouldn't have got another if it had been warm. You were 100% right those are some quality Sausage baguettes and chips they do down at Trailfinders. I'm deffo coming down on an empty stomach again :lol: :nod: :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11108
Location: 雪の街
eldanielfire wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Quote:
Danielle Waterman: England's World Cup winner retires from Test rugby

England World Cup-winner Danielle Waterman has announced her retirement from international rugby.

The 33-year-old full-back and wing won 82 caps during a 15-year international career and scored 47 tries for England. Waterman played in four World Cups, scoring in the 2014 final as England beat Canada to lift the trophy in Paris.

"It has been an incredible journey and a true honour to be a Red Rose for the past 15 years," said Waterman.

"Its been a huge privilege to have not only played alongside and against some of the best players in the world, but to have been part of the huge development and progression of women's international rugby to date.

"Winning the World Cup in 2014 was definitely a dream come true and to beat New Zealand for the first time in 16 years and go world number one was amazing, and to do it with the support of the Lions crowd was amazing."

Waterman is sixth on the all-time list of England women's appearances with her 82 caps, and also played sevens for Team GB at the 2016 Olympic Games. The full-back, who missed out on playing in a fourth World Cup final in 2017 after being ruled out with concussion, only lost one Six Nations game during her England career, against France earlier this year.


I'm generally saddened and shocked. She is still the best Fullback in the world and her try saver in the 1st game of the semi's of the Premiership shows she is still rapid as f#ck! I still see her footwork and defense as without equal int he game. I wonder why she called it time now? Maybe she see's she has a world cup, has seen the women's game move onto a brighter stage and her successor are in place she feel mission accomplished? Either way my favorite player to often watch:



I can go back to my chat with Sarah Hunter on Sunday and there is a feeling that the hot young talent that is being churned out now is really making the older players feel the heat now.

Possibly retiring because she's had a few bad injuries along the way and doesn't want to push her luck too much?

Quote:
Although she has won a World Cup and only lost one game Six Nations game during her career, against France earlier this year, Waterman has a very different memory to look back on as a high – returning from six reconstruction surgeries.

“Coming back from my most recent knee injury I was told I probably wouldn’t play again.

“It was a huge amount of work from me, commitment from the medical team, the strength and conditioning coaches and also the support from the coaches and my team mate to get me back on the field - to pull on the white shirt again after that injury was something very special.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
As I remember your chat with a Sarah a Hunter.....

You: Hi Sarah

Her: F*ck off n00b.....

Amazing you people get a different perspective off the same conversation.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19689
Bobcock wrote:
As I remember your chat with a Sarah a Hunter.....

You: Hi Sarah

Her: F*ck off n00b.....

Amazing you people get a different perspective off the same conversation.....

Well if he'd been talking to you for a while he probably didn't hear her response 😉


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Bobcock wrote:
As I remember your chat with a Sarah a Hunter.....

You: Hi Sarah

Her: F*ck off n00b.....

Amazing you people get a different perspective off the same conversation.....


:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
eldanielfire wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Quote:
Danielle Waterman: England's World Cup winner retires from Test rugby

England World Cup-winner Danielle Waterman has announced her retirement from international rugby.

The 33-year-old full-back and wing won 82 caps during a 15-year international career and scored 47 tries for England. Waterman played in four World Cups, scoring in the 2014 final as England beat Canada to lift the trophy in Paris.

"It has been an incredible journey and a true honour to be a Red Rose for the past 15 years," said Waterman.

"Its been a huge privilege to have not only played alongside and against some of the best players in the world, but to have been part of the huge development and progression of women's international rugby to date.

"Winning the World Cup in 2014 was definitely a dream come true and to beat New Zealand for the first time in 16 years and go world number one was amazing, and to do it with the support of the Lions crowd was amazing."

Waterman is sixth on the all-time list of England women's appearances with her 82 caps, and also played sevens for Team GB at the 2016 Olympic Games. The full-back, who missed out on playing in a fourth World Cup final in 2017 after being ruled out with concussion, only lost one Six Nations game during her England career, against France earlier this year.


I'm generally saddened and shocked. She is still the best Fullback in the world and her try saver in the 1st game of the semi's of the Premiership shows she is still rapid as f#ck! I still see her footwork and defense as without equal int he game. I wonder why she called it time now? Maybe she see's she has a world cup, has seen the women's game move onto a brighter stage and her successor are in place she feel mission accomplished? Either way my favorite player to often watch:



I can go back to my chat with Sarah Hunter on Sunday and there is a feeling that the hot young talent that is being churned out now is really making the older players feel the heat now.


Rule One? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1075
happyhooker wrote:
Bobcock wrote:
As I remember your chat with a Sarah a Hunter.....

You: Hi Sarah

Her: F*ck off n00b.....

Amazing you people get a different perspective off the same conversation.....

Well if he'd been talking to you for a while he probably didn't hear her response 😉

See above.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:


I can go back to my chat with Sarah Hunter on Sunday and there is a feeling that the hot young talent that is being churned out now is really making the older players feel the heat now.


Rule One? ;)


I suppose I can certainly make a Hot Young Talent XV, even if I'm not gonna go find all their pictures.

15 Emma Uren (Saracens)
14 Abby Dow (Wasps)
13 Lagi Tuima (Bristol)
12 Megen Varley (Worcester)
11 Jessica Breech(Quins)
10 Zoe Harrison (Saracens)
9 Rachel Porter (Firwood Waterloo Ladies)

1 Tysh Harper (Firwood Waterloo Ladies)
2 May Campbell (Saracens)
3 Kayleigh Bartlett (Gloucester Hartpury)
4 Catherine O'Donnell (Loughborough)
5 Rosie Galligan (Saracens)
6 Joanna Brown (DMP Sharks)
7 Harriet Austin (Saracens)
8 Sarah Beckett (Firwood Waterloo Ladies)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
Who was wearing 12 for Saracens? She had a break down the wing that piqued my interest.

I'm so impressed by the general quality on show in this league. I just watched the first half of the British Columbia Prem semi and couldn't bear to watch any longer. In fairness, it was raining but the quality was poor. The semi was a 50-0 victory for last year's champ.

The current Canada boys U18 coach who used to coach BC women and whose wife was an international tweeted during the Tyrrell's final that Canadian teams could compete. With the finalists, I doubt it. I think the best four in BC and Ontario would do okay in the Tyrrell's, though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Nieghorn wrote:
Who was wearing 12 for Saracens? She had a break down the wing that piqued my interest.

I'm so impressed by the general quality on show in this league. I just watched the first half of the British Columbia Prem semi and couldn't bear to watch any longer. In fairness, it was raining but the quality was poor. The semi was a 50-0 victory for last year's champ.

The current Canada boys U18 coach who used to coach BC women and whose wife was an international tweeted during the Tyrrell's final that Canadian teams could compete. With the finalists, I doubt it. I think the best four in BC and Ontario would do okay in the Tyrrell's, though.


Helena Rowland (Got MOTM in the 2nd semi). Seriously good talent. Still U20. Saracens also have Cara Wardle at 13 on the bench who I rate highly (both ball in hand and on the floor for a back) and is U20. With Zoe Harrison at 10 who just turned 20 Saracens and England have a seriously good midfield there for a decade.

One poster said their local club (Welwyn RFC I believe) produced 9 of this Sarries team. Many of those are on par with the England players this season. That club is seriously doing something right big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
Nieghorn wrote:
The current Canada boys U18 coach who used to coach BC women and whose wife was an international tweeted during the Tyrrell's final that Canadian teams could compete. With the finalists, I doubt it. I think the best four in BC and Ontario would do okay in the Tyrrell's, though.


There is still a quality gap in the English league. It goes:

Saracens and Quins

small gap

Wasps

GAP

Hartpury, Bristol and Loughborough

DAYLIGHT

Richmond, DMP Sharks and Firwood

DAYLIGHT

Worcester.

I would assume that top Canadian teams would be somewhere below Wasps in that group that fights for 4th?

next season I can see Firwood Waterloo Ladies joing the next group up in terms of quality. Firwood are just promoted and despite results were competitive against almost everyone and got better as the season went on. I can see them kicking on if they can draw a bit of talent. Experience is still against them. They also have some very talented youth that the England set-up at late in noticing. I can see them rising above their current group. Worcester had a terrible season but after losing everyone was essentially an extended young team. Given in retrospect that Hartpury's presence and Loughborough's presence may will kill off Worcester's big sources of players I wonder if they will be swapped for Lichfield Ladies when the 3 years are up?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4431
Location: 'ertfordshire
eldanielfire wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Who was wearing 12 for Saracens? She had a break down the wing that piqued my interest.

I'm so impressed by the general quality on show in this league. I just watched the first half of the British Columbia Prem semi and couldn't bear to watch any longer. In fairness, it was raining but the quality was poor. The semi was a 50-0 victory for last year's champ.

The current Canada boys U18 coach who used to coach BC women and whose wife was an international tweeted during the Tyrrell's final that Canadian teams could compete. With the finalists, I doubt it. I think the best four in BC and Ontario would do okay in the Tyrrell's, though.


Helena Rowland (Got MOTM in the 2nd semi). Seriously good talent. Still U20. Saracens also have Cara Wardle at 13 on the bench who I rate highly (both ball in hand and on the floor for a back) and is U20. With Zoe Harrison at 10 who just turned 20 Saracens and England have a seriously good midfield there for a decade.

One poster said their local club (Welwyn RFC I believe) produced 9 of this Sarries team. Many of those are on par with the England players this season. That club is seriously doing something right big time.

T'was me. Yes, there are 9 ex Welwyn girls in the current Sarries Ladies squad. 6 were in the match squad for the final
From the WElwyn RFC website:
Quote:
Welwyn wishes all its ex-players the best of luck for the Tyrrells Premier15s Final
The Saracens vs Harlequins final of the Tyrrells Premier15s league is to be played at Ealing Trailfinders on Sunday 29th April at 3pm.
If you can, go along and support the ex-Welwyn girls in the Sarries side

Starting
12 Helena Rowland
11 Lotte Clapp (C)
10 Zoe Harrison
1 Hannah Botterman

Replacements
20 Ella Wyrwas
21 Cara Wardle

Everyone at Welwyn wishes the girls the very best of luck for the final and to all the girls from both sides who've played during the campaign, congratulations for a fantastic season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
I'm also sure had Harriet Austin been fit she would have been on the bench as well making 7 players, 3 already capped for England, the other would not look out of place. Heck your one club could well provide the future England 10,11,12 and 13 axis alone :thumbup:.

have to ask how they are doing such an outstanding job?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4431
Location: 'ertfordshire
eldanielfire wrote:
I'm also sure had Harriet Austin been fit she would have been on the bench as well making 7 players, 3 already capped for England, the other would not look out of place. Heck your one club could well provide the future England 10,11,12 and 13 axis alone :thumbup:.

have to ask how they are doing such an outstanding job?

It's a combination of a lot of things. A forward thinking committee with several chairmen over the years (one a woman) who bought into the concept when the RFU started promoting the idea of girls rugby some years back. The club is very inclusive and works one the "one club" principle.

Parents who were prepared to support their daughters with commitment, time and sponsorship. Some excellent coaches some of whom had played to a very reasonable level, Hannah Botterman's dad played at Sarries 1st team level before it went pro and a couple of coaches now who have been senior county standard. There is one organiser/coach in particular who is the lynchpin of the girls section and countiues to organise the "outreach" activities with local schools. It got to a point where girls from outside our catchment area were attracted because of the quality of the coaching and the support from inside the club.
Slightly different now as more clubs have set up girls sections in the area, though Welwyn RFC still seems to have a disproportionate representation at county and regional levels and come home from tournaments with silverware having beaten clubs many time the size of ours.

The only (slightly) down side is that we haven't quite made the jump into successful ladies rugby despite all the efforts of a dedicated group of them. Too many of the girls move on to the next level at Old Albanians or directly to Saracens, Harlequins or Richmond etc.
Not bad for a small level 7 club. Certainly punching well above their weight in this area.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
They do a genuinely awesome job. It's no surprise that when I was looking for coaching courses the ones in Hertfordshire all seem the first to get fully booked. It seems to be the area doing the best in Rugby development in London and the home counties for men and women. I'd love to go there was absorb and learn about the good practice they have there and enhance my own skills.

Watching the U15 and U18 sides on Sunday (prior to the women's final) I was interested at how Leek U15, who where easily beaten, had a few players with high skill levels. Their number 7 was on another level entering the breakdown, grabbing numerous turnovers, one of the best girl's I've ever seen in that shirt.

Likewise Newark U18 Girls (who had the largest support out of the age teams) were baldy beaten, but were exceptional technically (their number 18 is playing 10 for England, Jess something) in defense, in the breakdown and their passing. The mother of their number 6 told me they were likely to lose because just about the whole side had just been promoted form the U15 so the opponents Pulborough had two years of size on them. It showed, there was an obvious size difference and come the second half it paid, hence the score. But it was a delight seeing a side that had obviously been exceptionally coached.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4431
Location: 'ertfordshire
eldanielfire wrote:
They do a genuinely awesome job. It's no surprise that when I was looking for coaching courses the ones in Hertfordshire all seem the first to get fully booked. It seems to be the area doing the best in Rugby development in London and the home counties for men and women. I'd love to go there was absorb and learn about the good practice they have there and enhance my own skills.

Watching the U15 and U18 sides on Sunday (prior to the women's final) I was interested at how Leek U15, who where easily beaten, had a few players with high skill levels. Their number 7 was on another level entering the breakdown, grabbing numerous turnovers, one of the best girl's I've ever seen in that shirt.

Likewise Newark U18 Girls (who had the largest support out of the age teams) were baldy beaten, but were exceptional technically (their number 18 is playing 10 for England, Jess something) in defense, in the breakdown and their passing. The mother of their number 6 told me they were likely to lose because just about the whole side had just been promoted form the U15 so the opponents Pulborough had two years of size on them. It showed, there was an obvious size difference and come the second half it paid, hence the score. But it was a delight seeing a side that had obviously been exceptionally coached.

Where are you based?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21841
SaintK wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
They do a genuinely awesome job. It's no surprise that when I was looking for coaching courses the ones in Hertfordshire all seem the first to get fully booked. It seems to be the area doing the best in Rugby development in London and the home counties for men and women. I'd love to go there was absorb and learn about the good practice they have there and enhance my own skills.

Watching the U15 and U18 sides on Sunday (prior to the women's final) I was interested at how Leek U15, who where easily beaten, had a few players with high skill levels. Their number 7 was on another level entering the breakdown, grabbing numerous turnovers, one of the best girl's I've ever seen in that shirt.

Likewise Newark U18 Girls (who had the largest support out of the age teams) were baldy beaten, but were exceptional technically (their number 18 is playing 10 for England, Jess something) in defense, in the breakdown and their passing. The mother of their number 6 told me they were likely to lose because just about the whole side had just been promoted form the U15 so the opponents Pulborough had two years of size on them. It showed, there was an obvious size difference and come the second half it paid, hence the score. But it was a delight seeing a side that had obviously been exceptionally coached.

Where are you based?


South London.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21894
Location: Centre of the Universe
eldanielfire wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
The current Canada boys U18 coach who used to coach BC women and whose wife was an international tweeted during the Tyrrell's final that Canadian teams could compete. With the finalists, I doubt it. I think the best four in BC and Ontario would do okay in the Tyrrell's, though.


There is still a quality gap in the English league. It goes:

Saracens and Quins

small gap

Wasps

GAP

Hartpury, Bristol and Loughborough

DAYLIGHT

Richmond, DMP Sharks and Firwood

DAYLIGHT

Worcester.

I would assume that top Canadian teams would be somewhere below Wasps in that group that fights for 4th?

next season I can see Firwood Waterloo Ladies joing the next group up in terms of quality. Firwood are just promoted and despite results were competitive against almost everyone and got better as the season went on. I can see them kicking on if they can draw a bit of talent. Experience is still against them. They also have some very talented youth that the England set-up at late in noticing. I can see them rising above their current group. Worcester had a terrible season but after losing everyone was essentially an extended young team. Given in retrospect that Hartpury's presence and Loughborough's presence may will kill off Worcester's big sources of players I wonder if they will be swapped for Lichfield Ladies when the 3 years are up?



If you want to see 1 v 4 in British Columbia ... again, pissing rain ... there's two current and two former internationals in the white (1, 13, 10, 15) team, 12 has played U20s; two former in the hooped team (13, starting wing on this side is Mandy Marchak). I'll be sure to share next weekend's final (should be recorded).

https://youtu.be/MqoBtwazDWc

When I was out there, the league was a little stronger and I think our best would have had great matches against Ontario's best. Now I haven't seen the top Ontario league recently, but I have to believe the top two or three are better than the above (I don't recommend you watch much, unless you want ... in addition to messy, one-sided rain game, I don't like where they film. Clubhouse at the end is better. When they moved, I sat on the roof and got a great high angle. :) )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4431
Location: 'ertfordshire
eldanielfire wrote:
SaintK wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
They do a genuinely awesome job. It's no surprise that when I was looking for coaching courses the ones in Hertfordshire all seem the first to get fully booked. It seems to be the area doing the best in Rugby development in London and the home counties for men and women. I'd love to go there was absorb and learn about the good practice they have there and enhance my own skills.

Watching the U15 and U18 sides on Sunday (prior to the women's final) I was interested at how Leek U15, who where easily beaten, had a few players with high skill levels. Their number 7 was on another level entering the breakdown, grabbing numerous turnovers, one of the best girl's I've ever seen in that shirt.

Likewise Newark U18 Girls (who had the largest support out of the age teams) were baldy beaten, but were exceptional technically (their number 18 is playing 10 for England, Jess something) in defense, in the breakdown and their passing. The mother of their number 6 told me they were likely to lose because just about the whole side had just been promoted form the U15 so the opponents Pulborough had two years of size on them. It showed, there was an obvious size difference and come the second half it paid, hence the score. But it was a delight seeing a side that had obviously been exceptionally coached.

Where are you based?


South London.

Aaah! If you check out the Welwyn RFC website there are a number of coaching contacts published in the girls ruby section. The guy called Jonathan is the one that seems to make it all work. He has an e-mail link on there


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 694 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4071, assfly, bessantj, bimboman, Bing [Bot], clydecloggie, Conspicuous, Harveys, Homer, jimmy speights, johnstrac, Jumper, Laurent, Maniototo Man, Mullet 2, Nolanator, Obelix, penguin, Raggs, Scrumhead, shereblue, sturginho, sunnybanana, swc, Tim13, UncleFB, usermame, Yer Man and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group