Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am 

https://twitter.com/9Jessk9/status/1006802124666175488

Welsh women having a laugh wishing happy birthday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 pm 

Hoping that last photo is a spa day. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:34 pm 

BBC Sport Wales

Verified account

@BBCSportWales
24m24 minutes ago
More
Wales is among six nations - alongside Australia, England, France, New Zealand and Portugal - bidding to host the Women's Rugby World Cup in 2021.

I'[m pretty sure it will go down under, as it will likely be seen as a "It's their turn" sentiment. But I'm not entirely sure given the growth of the game putting it in a timezone that kills viewership for most of the Rugby world is a great idea, as unfair as that is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:37 pm 

The last three World Cups were held in Europe. I vote for Australia and/or New Zealand.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:30 pm 

NaBUru38 wrote:
The last three World Cups were held in Europe. I vote for Australia and/or New Zealand.

But is that the best reason to choose a host? If the global rugby population was balanced I'd agree but an Oz or especially NZ one could really stunt the global exposure of the game with unfriendly timezones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 am 

Job opportunity for Neig:

https://www.saracens.com/news-article/j ... head-coach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 pm 

Cheers. I saw it before Monday's deadline. ;)

I seriously considered it but was immediately reminded of the last time I coached at this level - which has a lot of joys, but also a lot of frustrations. I've found 'elite' players to be quite set in their ways and not open to innovative approaches that differ from experience, and especially what national coaches (here, at least) preach.

I'd love to coach in that league, actually, and should have had a go at the Waterloo job to see if they'd even be willing / able (visa possible roadblock form the get-go?). But know that I'm also an unknown entity at the moment and would be up against all kinds of English coaches with nice CVs and badges. (I've gone beyond the content of the courses that cost hundreds of dollars with my own research, so won't throw my money away getting more than the Level 2 I have now.)

After a recent coach ed evening where I appeared to know more than two attendees who coach provincial teams and another who's a coach developer ( :? ), I'm determined to use my next gig to promote my knowledge better and just go from there. A friend has asked me to help with his U19 boys and we both are keen on sharing for the betterment of the game, so expect us to be putting all kinds of video content out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:04 pm 

I actually thought of you because I think Saracens are pretty opened minded players, they played a rather fluid brand of rugby that reminded me of kiwi teams, I'd thought you'd like that. Also the fact it's a youngs uad with a bunch of really young and excellent talent alreayd broken through. Though I did think exactly the same as you, I'd imagine plenty of English coaches might have a go and reputation and recent success or good connections might be important for the current champion. Though similar to Waterloo I think Darlington Sharks were advertising too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:35 pm 

I'll see how my stock fairs over the next year as I'm determined to promote myself a bit better. I might even stop being fearful of appearing on camera! :)

I appreciate the thought, though! (I have applied for a few school DoR jobs over the years. Never have got to the interview stage, and imagine visa is as much a hurdle as going up against former pros / community or academy coaches)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm 

Wasps off to the Swiss Alps to start pre-seaosn camp:

Interesting next to Harriet Miller-Mills is Sydney Gregson? If that is her it's a very good player they have nicked from Bristol. (Though ehr social media accounts still indicate she is Bristol) Unless of course she is just allowed to join them on pre-season.

Wateroo Ladies in pre-season:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:50 pm 

Does English pre-season usually start in summer? I might be off to Europe on holiday soon and wouldn't mind doing some guest coaching as part of my desire to spread the rugby gospel according to me, if anyone was keen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:23 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Does English pre-season usually start in summer? I might be off to Europe on holiday soon and wouldn't mind doing some guest coaching as part of my desire to spread the rugby gospel according to me, if anyone was keen.

Yup. July is usually the time we are all (supposed to be) back in training for the season which start somewhere into September (women's started late Sept if I recall).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:25 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Yup. July is usually the time we are all (supposed to be) back in training for the season which start somewhere into September (women's started late Sept if I recall).

Cheers. Will keep it in mind. I'm pondering wandering about southern Germany and into Switzerland, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:31 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Cheers. Will keep it in mind. I'm pondering wandering about southern Germany and into Switzerland, though.

Let us know if you're in London sometime and we'll go for a pint :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:29 pm 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm 

Waterlook ladies back in pre-season:

https://twitter.com/WaterlooLadies/stat ... 5068557312

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:35 pm 

Litchfield Ladies have a reunion:

https://twitter.com/LichLadiesRugby/sta ... 4861914112

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:36 pm 

Weird thread. Seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 pm 

Gavin Duffy wrote:
Weird thread. Seriously.

A thread where posters discuss news, matches, results, rumours and the off-season of rugby players and teams on a rugby forum?

What then would be normal to you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:03 am 

Litchfield looking to raise their profile. I think their serious about doing everything for getting into the elite league again:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:57 pm 

Saffer ladies ready for the RWC7s...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:35 pm 

Eldaniel ... how many of these played in the Premiership? I recognise a few names who've already played for the senior women's national team. I think we're in for a hiding. I watched our two strongest provinces play yesterday and had to turn it off halfway through as the rugby was so bad ... endless one-out crash balls by forwards and backs tucking it under one arm with a player outside. The worst was the amount of times the forward at the head of the pod did this lame jink and ball fake, only to get smashed by the defender. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 pm 

If interested, the schedule is here: http://www.canadianrugbychampionship.co ... gueID=6921

Link to streams here: http://objectified.com/webcasting/live-streaming

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Eldaniel ... how many of these played in the Premiership? I recognise a few names who've already played for the senior women's national team. I think we're in for a hiding. I watched our two strongest provinces play yesterday and had to turn it off halfway through as the rugby was so bad ... endless one-out crash balls by forwards and backs tucking it under one arm with a player outside. The worst was the amount of times the forward at the head of the pod did this lame jink and ball fake, only to get smashed by the defender. :(

A LOT of them are premiership players and they have often claimed first team places.

Botterman is a prop of some considerable talent, speed and power, as is Ellena Perry, Galligan is a bulky lock, Harrison was IMO the best 10 in England last season. Daley-Mclean already states hoe she feels the pressure for her England shirt from her constantly. All play for Saracens.

Sarah Beckett is a tough No.8 and players with Detysha Harper at Waterloo Firwood. Ellie Green was Harlequins starting 10 by the end of last season. Amelia Harper is very young (only 17) but already playing fairly regularly for Loughborough as flanker. Most of the rest are first team squad members at least of Bristol, Hartpury, Worcester and Loughborough mostly. Worcester had a bad season but they bloody a lot fo yoing players on england radar. Attwood is a good Flyhalf, Bradley is a good 9, Dow and Tuima are known qualities, Mulhearn and Gonde are very good props in the making, Cara Brincat is very talented and rated. The only ones I don't know are Copson, Cooksey and the last 2 names.

I'd say this is as strong as any England U20 side I have seen in recent years.

I hope they stream the matches.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:51 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 pm 

Wales to rejig it's domestic structure to rejig it's selection process:

Quote:
https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/news/33320.php

Wales have finished second on three occasions in the Women's Six Nations and Phillips is determined harness burgeoning interest in the women's game across the country.

A revamped Women's Regional Championship in Wales will see a six week competition kicking off with a Super 5 launch event at St Helens on September 9.

Phillips - who himself represented Wales in rugby union and league - believes that shortening the domestic season will ensure that players are best prepared for international duties.

He also issued a call-to-arms in the form of a pre-season programme that regional players can register for, run by the Wales coaching team, to further improve in regional rugby.

"We want all players with ambitions to play regional and international rugby to register for the new regional programme," he said.

"Our attached coaches and conditioners will run the seven-week skills and conditioning programme within the regions to improve standards across the board.

"The intensive six-week competition structure will put us in a good position to select our international squad for the season."

Wales are scheduled to host South Africa for two friendlies in November, as preparation builds towards the 2019 Six Nations.

And Phillips believes that the timing of this announcement is perfect both in giving Wales the best chance to improve on last year's Championships and build for the future.

"We are already qualified for the next Rugby World Cup in 2021 so it's an ideal time for a fresh start and to put measures in place to ensure we are as competitive as possible when that time comes around," he added.

"More and more talented players are coming into our system thanks to the huge upturn in interest and opportunities at schools and cluster centres.

"It's fantastic for us as a national coaching team as the more players in the game at a younger age increases the standard of players who progress into regional and international rugby."
Read more at https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/news ... ywUxUDJ.99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:02 pm 

It appears Richmond have replaced their head coach this summer and he's utterly remade the whole coaching and backroom team. Could be interesting.

http://richmondfc.co.uk/index.php/news/ ... ng-line-up

Harlequins have nicely updated their website so the men and women's squads so they are integrated.

https://www.quins.co.uk/team/players/#all

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:16 pm 

Not sure if Sarries have appointed a new head coach yet. Seem to be leaving it a little late for the start of the season

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:40 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Not sure if Sarries have appointed a new head coach yet. Seem to be leaving it a little late for the start of the season

I genuinely hope Rob Cain returns to coach England. He did an exceptional job. Possibility Sarries forwards coach Neill Harris has taken over? I know the women are already in pre-season. Strange no coach announcement. Perhaps that is why they announced that they are integrating the women's coaching more into the men's?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 pm 

BTW: A good interview with Sarries ex-head coach now in charge of USA women's Rugby:

https://womenseliterugby.com/no-hurry-cain/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 am 

Rugby legend Rocky Clarke, most capped women's player of all time has retired according to Scrum Queen's twitter account.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:06 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Rugby legend Rocky Clarke, most capped women's player of all time has retired according to Scrum Queen's twitter account.

There's a tribute to her career on the RFU site:

http://sportteller.rfu.deltatre.net/stories/RFU/Generic/8786b724-e4b3-4254-80b6-584109ba5e91/Rochelle-Clark's-career-in-pictures---Cloned.html#Intro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:44 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
BTW: A good interview with Sarries ex-head coach now in charge of USA women's Rugby:

Sounds like we'd get on like the proverbial burning house ... humble bloke too. All the best to him and the US ladies!

Quote:
“I like playing fast, aggressive, go-forward rugby. We look at the concepts of go-forward, continuity and support as principles and we break them down with detail but it’s all about everything we do as coaches is about the team I’m involved in can make the best possible accurate decisions and can execute, and that the team we play against are panicked, distressed and can’t make the same decisions. You then put your framework together depending on what players you’ve got within your squad.

“There is always structure, but I’m not a fan of pre-proscribed structure: breakdown, hit up, hit up, play it out wide. The reality is that if you get the principles of go-forward, continuity and support right then that becomes your structure and you play off it. That’s what we were able to do because we had a wealth of talent with players that had skills that had to be continuously polished but were able to play a certain way. As a player, structure allows you to have less accountability because you can say ‘well you told me to do that’.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:10 pm 

Lobby wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

There's a tribute to her career on the RFU site:

http://sportteller.rfu.deltatre.net/stories/RFU/Generic/8786b724-e4b3-4254-80b6-584109ba5e91/Rochelle-Clark's-career-in-pictures---Cloned.html#Intro

Cheers :thumbdown:

This tweet include my favourite Rocky moment when she charges down a conversion:

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... 1784536064

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:14 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Sounds like we'd get on like the proverbial burning house ... humble bloke too. All the best to him and the US ladies!

I agree. He coaches the exact sort of Rugby I live for, I'd love to learn off him and chunwag for hours. Seems a great dude, the Sarries women seem gutted when he left. As much as I lean towards Quins, they are still to much of the rigid England style IMO. Sarries women played the sort of NZ style free flowing, have everyone get involved, quick thinking and right decision making in the moment type of Rugby I love to install.

Which is weird, considering the Sarries men are exactly the opposite, far more the England/Saffer style of dominate forwards, kick points, play the numbers style.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:41 pm 

It's something I had a mini rant about with the ladies I last coached (which, as I've said, included a few internationals who all seemed to agree) ... that no team should simply adopt a style because it's easy, but instead take an honest look at what you have and design something that maximises those strengths.

On that note, I'm really excited to tuck into a book on the history of US football tactics that arrived at my library yesterday. I think it's the best example of a sport that's been innovative over time and that is willing to promote coaches who do good work, even from high school to college to the pros.

Spoiler: show

They also pay their coaches in the US, for the most part (more than here!) ... I'm tempted to apply for a couple of university coaching jobs down there, but am not sure I want to live in the 'heartland'. I'm more of a New Englander or Pacific Northwest person. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:18 am 

Alex Austerberry announced as Sarries head coach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:56 pm 

Full article behind a paywall. Wondered if anyone can do a cut and paste?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3aac ... 44d3177259

Starts with ...

Quote:
England’s women have lost trust in a union that claims to support them
new

Owen Slot, Chief Rugby Correspondent

This morning’s story in The Times about the England women’s 15-a-side squad and their pay dispute with the RFU is far more than just a disgruntled group of employees who are earning below their worth. There are so many levels to the story that it asks two deeper questions: to what extent does the RFU really stand by its promise to support and promote women’s rugby? And has the environment within the squad become so negative that it is impeding performance? Of course the two are intricately related...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:23 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Full article behind a paywall. Wondered if anyone can do a cut and paste?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3aac ... 44d3177259

Starts with ...

Quote:
England’s women have lost trust in a union that claims to support them
new

Owen Slot, Chief Rugby Correspondent

This morning’s story in The Times about the England women’s 15-a-side squad and their pay dispute with the RFU is far more than just a disgruntled group of employees who are earning below their worth. There are so many levels to the story that it asks two deeper questions: to what extent does the RFU really stand by its promise to support and promote women’s rugby? And has the environment within the squad become so negative that it is impeding performance? Of course the two are intricately related...

I can’t copy and paste the whole article, but I’ll try to summarise.

Basically the RFU have been screwing everyone around with contracts for the EPS and it’s really p***ing the players off to the point that they’re debating whether or not to sign new contracts at all. The RFU have been talking about restoring the full time contracts for the EPS, effectively saying they’ll happen for this season but they just need to confirm money etc. Now it looks like they’re going to be part time, similar to last season. It’s causing a lot of uncertainty because the players don’t know what to do about existing jobs and careers etc. That’s not to say there wouldn’t be any problems with full time contracts since the kind of money that would be on offer would amount to a fairly significant pay cut for some of the players, along with the effect of taking a career break with all the risks that come with professional sport, ie the potential to be dropped, or to get injured. However, I think most would see it as a sacrifice worth making if it allowed them to focus on their rugby and be professional athletes. Part time contracts on the other hand leave them feeling as if they’re being taken for granted and not being offered their worth, particularly with the amount of commitment expected of them. It’s also affecting performance since the players are feeling fairly physically and mentally exhausted from having to juggle what is essentially a professional training load with careers and studies: “Mentally and physically it broke a quite a lot of players last year. It pushes people to the edge. Everyone is desperate to play for their country and will give up everything. That’s what hurts the most: this continual expectation from the RFU that the players will just agree to it because they always have,” according to a ‘source.’ The article also reports a culture of fear over speaking out or being critical of the management. All of this is leading to players feeling seriously disillusioned, disenfranchised and disrespected.

Other details in the article outlining what a disgrace the RFU is:

- When they signed the part-time contracts last season, players were told categorically that they would be a one-off and full-time contracts would be restored.

- Some players turned down promotions or gave up jobs and careers to play for England.

- At a training camp at Bisham Abbey last autumn before the Canada series, players were shut in a room and told they weren’t allowed to leave it until they’d signed their EPS contracts, allegedly being told that this was standard practice with the men’s team which is isn’t. Whilst the RPA had already checked the contracts, the players weren’t allowed to take them away and get independent advice. The RPA chief (Damian Hopley) was contacted by players from within the room. The players, following advice from the RPA and their lawyers collectively refused to sign the contracts. So as a result training for that day (which was to be the only contact session before the first Canada Test) was cancelled. As per the source: “No one was allowed to do any kind of walk-through, you weren’t allowed a rugby ball in your hand, you couldn’t do anything rugby related until the contracts had been signed.”

- The EPS part time contracts they signed last year paid £1400 for being in the squad for the season and £900 per match. The maximum that an England player could earn was £8600 which included playing eight games and attending up to 30 training days.

- Players were informed that if they couldn’t get time off work for training, it would not affect selection. However, it’s claimed that this wasn’t upheld.

- The atmosphere within the squad is described as ‘dictatorial’ with a ‘lack of trust or respect.’

- Last season players started to talk about covering their expenses by crowd-funding but were told to drop the idea because of the perception it would create.

- The reports in which Steve Brown (RFU chief exec) said he was intending to professionalise women’s rugby by reintroducing full-time contracts took the players by surprise since five days earlier Nicky Ponsford (head of the RFU women’s performance programme) had emailed them saying that their next contracts would be part time like last season with further discussion of full-time contracts postponed until next month.

- In spite of all of the above, players have been led to understand that there will also be more training days that they will be expected to attend.

In summary, I think the problem is less money as such, but the level of commitment the RFU just expects from players who also have to make a living outside of rugby and the fact that the RFU is offering no certainty meaning that players cannot make decisions about their futures, whether to keep full-time jobs, hand in notice to their employers (given the new season is a month away) etc. And alongside this, the general handling of the situation and treatment of the players (ie at the Bisham Abbey camp). It also begs the questions: how dedicated is the RFU to its promise to support and promote women’s rugby? And is the environment within camp and expectations of the players to balance such a heavy workload impacting the performance of the team?

I should also add that this is all consistent with things I’ve heard previously. I don’t think any part has been exaggerated for effect.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm 

I suppose I should also give the RFUs response as per the article too, since that will also be behind a pay wall.

An RFU spokeswoman said yesterday: “We have a good relationship and regular dialogue with the group who represent the women’s XVs players. Our position has been consistent and clear- our ambition is to introduce women’s XVs contracts and we will do this as soon as it is possible and financially sustainable, which is what we outlined earlier this week. If we can introduce contracts this season we will- but we are still reviewing what is possible. We are disappointed to hear allegations about culture within the women’s team camp. If any of the players have any issues or complaints, we encourage them to tell us and we will deal with it. We have a new ‘speak up’ policy which encourages players if they want to speak out about anything, and we take our duty of care very seriously.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next