Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 pm 

Quite an interesting video about Sarries women

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:14 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I saw that ... and was really impressed with Harrison's ability to analyse / understand play. I've worked with some Canuck internationals who never spoke with that depth of knowledge. Really impressive for someone who's what, 21-ish?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:45 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I saw that ... and was really impressed with Harrison's ability to analyse / understand play. I've worked with some Canuck internationals who never spoke with that depth of knowledge. Really impressive for someone who's what, 21-ish?

Indeed. You can see why I've said for a while now she is England's 10 future.

Here another nice 11 minute video of Will Greenwood coaching the Red Roses:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... -red-roses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 am 

Super series starts tomorrow.

ImageImage

Image vs https://www.usarugby.org/2019/06/womens ... s-preview/

(USA got to get their social media game in line methinks)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:28 pm 

That Canada side has a lot of weak points. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:03 pm 

I follow a PhD candidate on twitter who's doing a study of the history of the sport and she's done a podcast interview on the 1994 WRWC as a landmark moment... only part-way through and she's using some interesting audio clips from the time: https://alondonjournal.net/2019/06/16/s ... dia-furse/

... I didn't realize the IRFB threatened legal action over it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am 

Saracens Women lose their forwards coach. Not surprised when yous ee how good their forward pack play as the basis of their game:

https://twitter.com/SaracensWomen/statu ... 3863301121

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:21 am 

A friend is playing club rugby in NZ and when she shared the next match's lineup, I couldn't help but smile at some of the unique names! (Not a criticism, either ... having coached a team once that had 8 guys called 'Matt', with plenty others getting named after grandparents, I say why not give your kid a unique name?)

"Mystery with miracle cutout pass to Myracle!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:27 am 

In good news for England, Sophie Shams, an outstanding runner for Durham university who ripped up the BUCS final with her phenomenal running game at 15 is turning out for England 7's. I've followed her for a bit and hoped (she grew up in the middle East) England would be sensible enough to court her and get her to declare for England. The Women's BUCS final is worth a watch to see what a talent she is with ball in hand. A joy to watch.

https://twitter.com/SophieShams/status/ ... 0978714624

The final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQwEZ2AFwg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:07 pm 

Wallaroos with some women against girls moments v Japan. I think there should be another vid coming soon as twitter tells me they won the second test too.

https://youtu.be/i5r22j3NRnI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:57 pm 

Harlequins have finally realised despite a powerful pack their breakdown work is vastly inferior to Saracens and brought in Italy's excellent Giada Franco:

https://twitter.com/HarlequinsWomen/sta ... 9869144065

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:42 pm 

Canadian women's club championships ... no Prairie team, Ontario team is currently joint with another club that has more internationals, BC winner upset their strongest club that also has more internationals, so not sure if you'd say these are our "best", but for me, they still show a big quality gap between them and most Tyrrell's teams.

The Quebec team's demolition of Toronto Saracens in the semi is worth watching, though. Some really nice open field, quick tempo rugby through most of the game - even the dropped balls, for me, were from ambitious attacks on the edge rather than merely poor handling. Unfortunately, they choked in the final.

http://canadianclubchampionship.com/?page_id=217

... before the matches, I was advocating on Twitter that a potential US/Can Lions tour should play the best club sides. Now I'm not so sure. A 'select' team of veterans, however, would put on a good show I think. The provincial teams are often very young, with a lot of uni students and recent grads who aren't so set in their careers/families that they can take time off to travel to training sessions and championships. There's a club in the Toronto area that has as a no training policy, which has brought a lot of retired 'old girls' out of the woodwork. In their first season, they destroyed teams in the second division. Would do just fine in the first, but I think they act as another club's 2nd XV. It possibly shows that rugby here has gotten so rigid and prescriptive over the last generation, that the previous one can better them with sound fundamentals and the ability to read/support each other despite no training!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:42 pm 

Cheers for the link Nieghorn. As I'm on holiday, I'll enjoy the rugby clips videos :)

Also, interestingly Lagi Tuima who has just finish Uni has gone to Quins now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:34 pm 

Quins sign Chloe Rollie. They ate really going all out to improve. I wonder who they are dropping? There is a limit of 5 foreign players per match-day squad I believe and they certainly had their limit last season.

https://twitter.com/HarlequinsWomen/sta ... 4831042561

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 pm 

Sad news Nieghorn:

Harlequins Women 🃏
@HarlequinsWomen
·
3h
🃏 Harlequins can today confirm that winger Holly Myers has left the Club to join French side Toulouse ahead of the new season.

👏 Best of luck in France @HollyMyers92

:((

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:48 pm 

Sounds like a fun opportunity for her, but was saying to a friend last night - whilst talking international women's rugby (her being a prop criminally overlooked for Canada) - England's missed giving a few players a run, her being one. Guess she's given up the dream ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Sounds like a fun opportunity for her, but was saying to a friend last night - whilst talking international women's rugby (her being a prop criminally overlooked for Canada) - England's missed giving a few players a run, her being one. Guess she's given up the dream ...

I agree, as you know. There seems to be a core of players, who are close to the set-up from age group levels as a youngster and somehow are judged on their supposed potential and hype rather than their actual current quality. But then that's typical of having coaches and coaching set-up who have never been involved in making real world elite decisions and have reputations based on that, it's all how much you impress within the RFU and write nice essays and dine well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 pm 

:lol: ... I've been reading books about the 'red coat' era lately, and it certainly sounds like RFU coaches are like officers from the era. From the right circles of influence, being 'gentlemen' (and women) with the right breeding, picking their favourites, not sure if they have to 'buy their commission' or get leeway in designing their own uniforms. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:15 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
:lol: ... I've been reading books about the 'red coat' era lately, and it certainly sounds like RFU coaches are like officers from the era. From the right circles of influence, being 'gentlemen' (and women) with the right breeding, picking their favourites, not sure if they have to 'buy their commission' or get leeway in designing their own uniforms. ;)

The weird thing is, in theory, the RFU do set-up coaches well, in certain ways, they are full of good stuff in theory. A good example is Stuart Lancaster, by all accounts knows his stuff but before England had one season in charge of a team who were relegated. But they don't push them to gain success in the real world. So they never develop a coaching philosophy, learn how to fine tune good theories into real world practice, scrap what doesn't really work in practice, or fine tune it and how to get the best out of players in real elite situations. But they all seem scared of practising in the real world outside of England set-ups.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:38 am 

Wow, Harlequins really going all out and nabbed Amy Cokayne as well.

https://twitter.com/UKAFRugby/status/11 ... 6889700353

Now one consequence of the new league, is basically it's become weaker than it was being it became the Tyrells Premiership because 3 teams appear to be where anyone wants to go to now. Sure the players are training more, like everywhere else, but the quality is now being so concentrated into a three teams that half the league is a waste as their quality is ever weaker and the competition overall must be sinking with ever fewer top players spread around. The image will be bad, already Worcester and Firwood Waterloo and Darlington get blown out frequently you wonder why the league ever expanded?

EDIT: Quins also added Sarah Beckett.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27