Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:01 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Lillicrap? That seems an unfortunate name

I know :lol:

I'd put up former England player Monica Lewinska as a candidate. I think Australia capped a Brumbies player called Pip Butt.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:26 am 

Rumours that Sale and Newcastle are looking at getting involved in the women's game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm 

Call me a traditionalist, but I find that so sad. Lichfield likely gone. Will Richmond be next? Worcester at least have the pro side for now (I'm guessing?) giving them support.

I'd like to think that a club could still earn their way into the top tier, but it seems increasingly like the Women's Premiership will be closed off to those with enough money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:38 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Call me a traditionalist, but I find that so sad. Lichfield likely gone. Will Richmond be next? Worcester at least have the pro side for now (I'm guessing?) giving them support.

I'd like to think that a club could still earn their way into the top tier, but it seems increasingly like the Women's Premiership will be closed off to those with enough money.

It's been a similar situation in football sadly. The trailblazers of the women's game, those that committed to it and supported it and actually grew the game and made it into something worth caring about.

The position is now is that there are demands for women's sport to get professional, e.g. paid, but it has yet to have the fanbases built up so this is sustainable. Now I'm all for the men's game to financially support the women's game (due to a century of oppression etc) while they build the sport up, but I was thinking something more like a slice of the TV money or sponsorship being put aside for the women's game. Instead we have haphazard and disjointed model of clubs maybe or maybe not clocking a women's team is good press (or being one of the few without one being bad press) being the driver of the women's game rather than a coordinated investment from the sport as a whole with even some support given to women's lower divisions.

As you say Litchfield, Richmond and Thurrock where all major and historic women's sides. The game will quickly lose it's soul if finances become the be all and end all of what makes a women's team survive or be competitive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:18 pm 

Quote:
Scrumqueens.com Team of the Decade

1 Rochelle Clark (England)
2 Fiao’o Faamausili (NZ)
3 Sarah Bern (England)
4 Rawinia Everitt (NZ)
5 Safi N'Diaye (France)
6 Karen Paquin (Canada)
7 Maggie Alphonsi (England)
8 Sarah Hunter (England)
9 Kendra Cocksedge (NZ)
10 Katy Daley-Mclean (England)
11 Alison Miller (Ireland)
12 Kelly Brazier (NZ)
13 Emily Scarratt (England)
14 Danielle Waterman (England)
15 Niamh Briggs (Ireland)

Replacments: 16 Gaelle Mignot (France) 17 Jamie Burke (USA) 18 Linda Itunu (NZ) 19 Latoya Blackwood (Canada) 20 Claire Molloy (Ireland) 21 Marie-Alice Yahe (France) 22 Renee Wickliffe (NZ) 23 Jessy Tremouliere (France)

So many "nahs" on that list, for me ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:57 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Quote:
Scrumqueens.com Team of the Decade

1 Rochelle Clark (England)
2 Fiao’o Faamausili (NZ)
3 Sarah Bern (England)
4 Rawinia Everitt (NZ)
5 Safi N'Diaye (France)
6 Karen Paquin (Canada)
7 Maggie Alphonsi (England)
8 Sarah Hunter (England)
9 Kendra Cocksedge (NZ)
10 Katy Daley-Mclean (England)
11 Alison Miller (Ireland)
12 Kelly Brazier (NZ)
13 Emily Scarratt (England)
14 Danielle Waterman (England)
15 Niamh Briggs (Ireland)

Replacments: 16 Gaelle Mignot (France) 17 Jamie Burke (USA) 18 Linda Itunu (NZ) 19 Latoya Blackwood (Canada) 20 Claire Molloy (Ireland) 21 Marie-Alice Yahe (France) 22 Renee Wickliffe (NZ) 23 Jessy Tremouliere (France)

So many "nahs" on that list, for me ...

It's total bollocks isn't it. They've been routinely slaughtered n their twitter account. Th two Irish pics are utterly one eyed (oh a one eyed Irish Rugby fans who overrate their own shocker) and wouldn't get in over almost all the English or kiwi wingers, which is obvious given they moved Waterman to wing fro Fullback. Safi N'Diaye is a big lump with no hands who only moved to lock last season. While I think Bern is an x-factor player, no way she is yet England's best tighthead of the past decade. Hunter has played most of her career at 6, behind Cath Spencer. While commentators rave about Hunter's ball control at the back of the scrum she sin't quite as physical as Spencer or as skilled as even her teammates who play 8. I could go on.

I love the work Scrum Queens do, it's basically legendary as journalists of the women's game. But good judges of rugby players they are not. They often defer to hype rather than observation. I think a good example is when they raved about Botterman before this 6 Nations and I pointed out (as I often have done) she's a lump and rubbish as an actual prop who can't scrum and is covered up by the sheer power and weight of the England/Sarries pack vs most amateur teams, before the Ireland game. They insisted I was wrong and then DM'ed me to agree her scrumming was horrific after watching Ireland rip her apart constantly in embarrassing ways.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1086 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28